Questions about the "new" flag on some posts

Jack

Padawan Learner
Hello, I'm a new member.

I notice that several topics have a "new" flag next to them.

I'm curious about that flag. Will it disappear after a while? Are these topics that are new to me? Or does the "new" tag get shown equally to all users? Are moderators especially interested in promoting discussion of "new" topics or are "old" topics equally valid to reply to?

Just wondering.

Thanks!
Jack

Thanks for the referral to the help page. I confess that I'm afraid that I don't actually see any of my questions answered there. Either the help page isn't responsive to my questions, or I am overlooking answers right in front of my face that somehow I'm just not seeing.

I had three questions about how the software sets the new tag. I don't see where the help page refers to how new is new, whether new becomes old, and whether new is a per-user flag or for everyone. If I overlooked answers that are there, I'd appreciate help seeing what I missed.

The only reference I could find to the New flag is that the help page's sample thread view has this flag set on the only post in the sample forum. It's the only part of the illustration that does not seem to have any key or explanation, unlike all the other user controls and display elements. Did I miss something where the underlying functionality is described?

I also had two questions about the moderators' intentions regarding the New flag, but they can be condensed into a single question: Do moderators prefer that users focus their contributions on threads flagged as New? As this is a policy question specific to this particular board, I didn't see anything in the software Help page that would answer it. Again, if I overlooked it, I'd appreciate guidance to help me find what I missed.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack,

Help said:
The New Posts and No New Posts icons in the leftmost column show registered members whether there have been any new posts to the board since they last read it.
Once you have read it, the "New" flag goes away.

You can choose to read and response to any topic or to not respond at all. There are no hard and fast rule for members with regards to which topics members should contribute or in which order the topics should be read.

Hope that explains it.

As is mentioned, the New flag will appear next to topics on which you have previously read, and are new replies. I find it particularly helpful because you can click this flag and it will bring you directly to the first unread reply.

This is even more helpful when you use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. :)

Actually, I like the " View the most recent posts on the forum." option best.

Recently I missed a couple of threads because it didn't appear in my "unread posts" feature. Apparently a change in the forum time zone or something, it just didn't show all the unread posts.

Since I've been using the "view the most recent posts on the forum", I've noticed more posts, but there is also more activity in the forum lately :)

Back
Top Bottom