Question regarding Egyptian God Set in 'Secret History'

Andrey

Jedi
I'm reading 'Secret History' and on page 403 at the bottom Laura says "Set, the Egyptian Sun-god, disguised as a boar, killed Osiris." This confused me as I've always thought Set was more of a stellar deity, associated with the circumpolar stars in the night sky and Osiris was always considered the solar deity. What did Laura mean when she called Set an "Egyptian Sun-god?"

I've never heard of Set being referred to as a Sun God.

I'm reading 'Secret History' and on page 403 at the bottom Laura says "Set, the Egyptian Sun-god, disguised as a boar, killed Osiris." This confused me as I've always thought Set was more of a stellar deity, associated with the circumpolar stars in the night sky and Osiris was always considered the solar deity. What did Laura mean when she called Set an "Egyptian Sun-god?"

Unless there was some prior discussion justifying Set as a sun god, I think that might just be an error in the text.

Well, I can tell you I never thought that nor would I have written it. I can only think that one of the several editors who went over the text made such changes because he or she may have thought it to be correct. That, or I was writing in a conceptually dyslexic way!

Last edited:

In one context, a 'star' is a 'sun'.
In another, a 'planet' means a non-fixed celestial light.*
It all depends upon the context.
* The Earth does not appear in the night sky. Thus, The Earth is not a planet in the classical sense.
When you find out more about Set, you'll understand. For example, Saturday comes from Saetr's day - not 'Saturn's day'. Although 'Saturn' (ringed planet) has a common root. saeter - Wiktionary

Back
Top Bottom