Putin Recognizes Donbass Republics, Sends Russian Military to 'Denazify' Ukraine

Of course, the Russians couldn’t expose the fact that any interpreted losses of territory were actually vital to the endgame, since that would be giving away the plan to the Ukrainians. It would also mean that critical statements such as Kadyrov’s we’re intentional and meant as smoke and mirrors.

I am inclined to think it likely that the Russians are laying a trap. There was an article by William Schryver about this and he mentioned an example from WWII where the Germans trapped the Red Army by giving up a lot of territory first before hitting back hard. As he mentions later, Russian forces are accumulated on the borders with the potential to make a big pincher movement and thus trap all those forces which Ukraine have expended in their offensive and land capture.

----

Maneuver Warfare​

Great dangers rise up when you least expect them.​

Lately I’ve been reading one of the most fascinating war-related books I’ve ever come across:

A New Conception of War – John Boyd, The U.S. Marines, and Maneuver Warfare, by Ian T. Brown.

(The book has been out of print for some time, but is available in pdf format from Marine Corps University at the following link: A New Conception of War.)

John Boyd was one of the most brilliant and celebrated modern military theorists, and his concepts were extremely influential among many in the post-Vietnam officer cadre of the United States Marine Corps.

John Boyd
In particular, the highly regarded USMC General Paul K. Van Riper became a zealous disciple of Boyd’s conceptions of war. I have previously written of Van Riper’s legendary exploits, and most recently his observations of the ongoing war in Ukraine.

Also, in a recent article I published, I described how, during the Second World War, the Red Army had frequently employed deception to lure the Wehrmacht into situations where they could then be cut off and destroyed in detail.

Of course, the German commanders were brilliant in their own right, and they frequently turned the tables on the Soviets in the same fashion. A New Conception of War makes specific reference to such a case – one I believe is particularly apropos to ongoing events in Ukraine:

One example Boyd provided of using terrain as a medium for mentally unhinging an enemy, and not simply as a military objective in itself, came from Field Marshal Erich von Manstein’s “Donetz counterstroke” against the Soviet Red Army in World War II. Manstein deliberately took a “long step backward,” giving up large swathes of territory to make the Soviets overconfident and overextended. When Manstein finally counterattacked, the surprise caused complete mental and moral disorientation on the part of the Russians, netting Manstein all the territory he had voluntarily surrendered and, more important, large numbers of Russian prisoners.
(A New Conception of War, p. 108, emphasis added)
Manstein’s “long step backward” had the effect of drawing the Soviets out of well-prepared defensive positions, and into the open field of battle, where the Germans repeatedly resisted, then withdrew even further, until Soviet supply lines had been stretched dangerously thin, and their forces were extremely diluted in the large “bulge” their advance had created.

This is precisely the scenario we have seen play out in the Kharkov region over the past month.

For weeks now, the vastly outnumbered Russian forces have been executing a fighting retreat – ceding territory to the advancing Ukrainians, briefly occupying strong prepared defensive positions from which they inflict severe losses on the Ukrainian attackers, and then retreating yet again to another line of prepared positions.

As is always the case during an ongoing battle, reliable casualty numbers are difficult to ascertain. But the nature of the terrain, the strength of the prepared Russian defenses, and the Russians’ overwhelming superiority in terms of air power and artillery have afforded them a huge battlefield advantage.

Contributing to this advantage has been the frequently displayed rashness of almost suicidal banzai-like Ukrainian assaults on hardened Russian positions which, although their significant numerical superiority ultimately permitted them to compel another Russian retreat, hugely disproportionate losses of manpower and military equipment have been inflicted on the Ukrainian attackers.

Late last week, in my article entitled Turning Point, I described how the Ukrainians had expended thousands of troops and hundreds of vehicles in their quasi-fanatical attempts to take both Kupyansk and Liman.

Nevertheless, those two towns were taken, and the Ukrainians have continued to make modest advances since then while the Russians prepare yet another hardened defensive line several kilometers further east.

I’ve also been reporting for weeks now regarding the never-ending trains of Russian equipment and troops streaming into the region from various directions – and yet few if any of these major reinforcements have found their way to the front lines, much to the chagrin of those cheering on the Russian cause, and who have been devastated by what appear to be repeated Russian defeats.

However, in just the last few hours, reports have been leaking out that western intelligence has detected a major buildup of Russian forces in and around Belgorod, just across the border of the Kharkov Oblast, and immediately north of the current line of contact.

The reliability of this intelligence is not yet determined, and even if true, its significance remains as yet unknown, but I will share two of the reports I’ve seen on Telegram in the past couple hours – reports that are circulating among both Russian- and Ukrainian-friendly sources with a reasonable degree of established credibility.

First from a Ukrainian-friendly channel that has long exhibited connections to a source within the Ukrainian government:

“Our source reports that the Office of the President received a warning that the risk of a Russian strike and counter-offensive behind Ukrainian lines remains.
“The only thing is that no one can say exactly when, how, and where it will happen. The movement can abruptly begin along the entire border of Ukraine. The Russians know that Zelensky instructed everyone to remove reserves from the border regions and send them to the front line for an offensive (blitzkrieg).
“That is, once again entering the Sumy region, the RF Armed Forces can easily take hundreds of kilometers under them, not to mention an attack on the northern part of the Kharkov region, or Belarus joining the game.”
A Russian-friendly source (presumably also relying on a Ukraine-friendly source) reports as follows:

“MI6 has passed intelligence to the Office of the President (Zelensky) and the General Staff (Zaluzhny) that Russia continues to amass forces in the Belgorod region and appear to be in no rush to use them as a reserve.
“British intelligence has warned the General Staff that these forces may be concentrating for a Russian counter-attack along the border of the Oskol River to cut off the increasingly stretched Ukrainian forces grouping that has only a few supply routes available to it.”
In my estimation, there is good reason to lend credence to these reports. And although the timing and location of a Russian counter-attack cannot yet be confidently predicted, I continue to be persuaded that “something big” is afoot, and that the Ukrainian army and its large numbers of NATO-affiliated “volunteers” are going to suffer the biggest catastrophe so far in this war as a result of their militarily imprudent last-gasp September “counter-offensives”.

-----

I am inclined to think it likely that the Russians are laying a trap.

I'm essentially with you on this Aeneas. Going back to the Napoleonic invasion, tactical retreat has been at the core of long-term attritional Russian military doctrine. I think it comes from the knowledge of just how SO, SO VERY BIG Russia is, and therefore no matter how far the enemy advances, in the end all they do is fall further and further into the lair of the bear. Repeatedly throughout history the Russian's have given up territory - often in a seeming rout - only to recapture and more so by the final round. It strikes me as being a form of positive Game Theory - be willing to lose 4 rounds so that by maintaining your fighting strength at all costs it means that when it comes to the knock out stage you are the one delivering the fatal final blow. The restocking by NATO of Ukrainian resources this summer has been mostly frittered away by these effectively meaningless PR driven advances; many analysts are saying they are coming close to being burned out (with the resupply from the west, and in particular of battlefield ready tanks and heavy equipment, falling to a trickle despite all the headlines). At the same time the 300,000 reservists will release battle ready groups from other parts of Russia for what is looking likely to be a wholly different level of winter warfare. The remaining western equipment is just not suited to face first heavy wet and then heavy cold environments, and I think the Russian's intend to make them pay in the months ahead for wasting the opportunity to dig in with all these fresh reserves and await Russian's first counter move.

This is not to say that this has been the plan all along nor that Putin's obsession with a legalistically curtailed limited war has not come at a cost; their are signs that discontent within the Russian military at being forced to fight one arm tied behind its back started to bubble over into the public domain and in some way drove recent changes as much as political policies. But in the end I still expect Russia will prevail and come next spring the battlefield map will look very different indeed to that of today. So let's all hold our nerve as Russians do and go the distance.

Rather than laying a trap, I can't help but think that the tactical retreats are simply to save lives. If a trap is laid as a result, then good. I find it hard to think that the retreats are designed in such a way as to fit into a wider plan which is a trap. The reason I find it hard to believe this is the fact that there isn't one actor in this scenario - Russia are not fighting NPCs.

NATO command plus the combined intelligence and military services of Western governments will be gaming multiple scenarios and be taking detailed images of the surrounding terrain including Russian troop movements. This is to say, if Russia are laying some trap, their adversary will have already thought they were doing so and looking to make moves to counter it.

If the internet is thinking Russia are laying a trap, we'd be silly to think NATO haven't thought this AND taken actions as a result!

This is why I simply think the retreats only fit the strategy not to unnecessarily lose life rather than some 4D move. I think success will come from the ability to be able to effectively react to ever changing situations in such a way as to always maintain the upper hand whilst still feeding your ultimate strategy.

Ultimately, Russia will win when NATO abandon Ukraine and stop supplying it with weapons plus mercenaries. The question is - how do you achieve that? I'd be minded to think that figuring this out equals figuring out their end game.

Article by the Washington Post from May 10, 2022

Russia Is Right: The U.S. Is Waging a Proxy War in Ukraine​

The war in Ukraine isn’t just a conflict between Moscow and Kyiv, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov recently declared. It is a “proxy war” in which the world’s most powerful military alliance, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, is using Ukraine as a battering ram against the Russian state.
Russia is the target of one of the most ruthlessly effectively proxy wars in modern history. And the less U.S. officials say about it, the better.
The key to the strategy is to find a committed local partner — a proxy willing to do the killing and dying — and then load it up with the arms, money and intelligence needed to inflict shattering blows on a vulnerable rival. That’s just what Washington and its allies are doing to Russia today.
Ukrainian forces are nothing if not committed; they have been willing, in many cases, to fight to the last man. They have proved themselves far more effective than even the U.S. intelligence community anticipated when the invasion began.

America’s goal is to “weaken” Russia, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has acknowledged; the only way to deal with a rogue regime is to reduce its capacity for harm.

"Don’t expect Moscow’s position to improve. Its offensive in eastern Ukraine is proceeding lethargically", writes the article's author Hal Brands.

What he doesn't include in his tactical thoughts is the chance of the Western financial system to crater and thus the flow of weapons, mercenaries and financial aid coming to a halt.

That's why Russia is right in proceeding wisely and slowly.

NATO command plus the combined intelligence and military services of Western governments will be gaming multiple scenarios and be taking detailed images of the surrounding terrain including Russian troop movements. This is to say, if Russia are laying some trap, their adversary will have already thought they were doing so and looking to make moves to counter it.

This is why the chess analogy came to mind for me.

If I, with absolutely zero knowledge of military strategy, can understand the idea that my opponent in a game, or my enemy in a battle, must necessarily respond to my actions, and then I to theirs, then how would the entire military command of Russia apply that idea over 20 years of planning? How many responses to responses to responses to responses could they have played out?

In the same way that you can’t imagine that the retreats were part of a bigger plan, I can’t imagine that Putin would ‘go off half-cocked’. From the very second the SMO began, Putin created a reality for himself and the people and the nation of Russia in which he could not possibly afford any major mistakes, blunders, lapses of judgement, an outcome of complete withdrawal, etc.

Just this ‘controlled burn’ has brought the entire sleeping populace of the world to move the hand of the figurative doomsday clock to 1 minute to midnight, and Putin would have known that would happen with absolute certainty. Even if everything goes exactly as the Russians intend beyond their most optimistic expectations, there is no going back to the previous reality. If Russia was to not achieve its objectives, imagine the geopolitical ramifications.

Rather than laying a trap, I can't help but think that the tactical retreats are simply to save lives. If a trap is laid as a result, then good. I find it hard to think that the retreats are designed in such a way as to fit into a wider plan which is a trap. The reason I find it hard to believe this is the fact that there isn't one actor in this scenario - Russia are not fighting NPCs.

If the internet is thinking Russia are laying a trap, we'd be silly to think NATO haven't thought this AND taken actions as a result!

This is why I simply think the retreats only fit the strategy not to unnecessarily lose life rather than some 4D move. I think success will come from the ability to be able to effectively react to ever changing situations in such a way as to always maintain the upper hand whilst still feeding your ultimate strategy.

Ultimately, Russia will win when NATO abandon Ukraine and stop supplying it with weapons plus mercenaries. The question is - how do you achieve that? I'd be minded to think that figuring this out equals figuring out their end game.
Why not both? The war demands dynamism... It's not like the Ukrainian counteroffensive started a week ago so as not to plan a counterattack, This should not be so hard if the Ukrainian logistics lines have been stretched too far at the same time as they get hit by the russians in the rear...if the russians respond in the future in a big way, this will resemble operation uranus in a way.
If the internet is thinking Russia are laying a trap, we'd be silly to think NATO haven't thought this AND taken actions as a result
That's interesting, and certainly those from NATO should realize... but were they expecting that Putin would make a call for mobilization? It seems to me, as has already been commented on before in the forum, that these guys are partly very reactive and they don't plan long term, they just can't stop supporting ukraine, it would be fine for them in case of a heavy russian attack if they would withdraw ukrainian troops to safer defensive positions... but will they? And as for NATO's countermeasures in case this "cheating" happens, what can they do if the Russian backlash is too much? Unless they pull off some unexpected dirty tricks, arms and supplies to Ukraine already seem to be at the limit.

This is why the chess analogy came to mind for me.
The chess analog also came to my mind. Russia is happy to offer Ukraine/NATO a bishop in order to then subsequently take the rook and a knight.
As for NATO, they haven't shown great skills in chess and strategic moves for a long time. The Iraq surge comes to mind and the withdrawal from Afghanistan. When did the US actually win a war the last time? Well, I come up blank.

The problem with the US and NATO is that they believe their own propaganda too much and that is a big failure. When one adds to it, that the soldiers in the West grow up to a greater degree than Russia, in a postmodernist ponerized environment which has destroyed morals, values and instead of spiritual values are fed a diet of nihilistic darwinistic anti-values. These soldiers in NATOstan are even actively in their formative years being encouraged to question their biological identity and even taught that gender-dystopia and critical race theory is something to fight for. 🤦‍♂️

What is easily forgotten is that Russia in the last 8 years have made huge strides in creating allies, partners and alliances. That 7/8 of the world support Russia today has come as a consequence of the approach spearheaded by Putin and Lavrov. Those connections are worth gold in times like these.

It is said that Russians are slow to saddle their horse, but they ride fast.

Ukraine capital preparing evacuation centers for possible nuclear strike​

Ukraine is readying evacuation centers in its capital city of Kyiv in preparation for a potential nuclear attack following warnings from Russian President Vladimir Putin that his country would take every necessary action to claim victory.

Putin recently threatened that Russia would not hesitate to deploy nuclear weapons against what he called “a threat to the territorial integrity of our country.”

The preparations come following Russia’s escalatory move in the war to annex parts of occupied Ukraine following referenda in each of the areas. The votes were viewed by a large swath of the international community as illegitimate and Ukraine’s allies, including the U.S., condemned Russian annexation.

The City Council of Kyiv says evacuation centers are being equipped with potassium iodine pills, which can help against radiation absorption, in the event of a nuclear strike on the capital.

Putin, in making his nuclear threats, appeared to hit back at comments like those from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who earlier this year dismissed nuclear threats as a bluff.

“This is not a bluff. And those who try to blackmail us with nuclear weapons should know that the weathervane can turn and point towards them,” the Russian president said in a televised address.

Biden ‘disappointed’ by OPEC+ decision to cut oil production Malicious cyber activity unlikely to disrupt voting, FBI says
Zelensky and the international community have been on high alert over the potential of nuclear attack or accident during the Russia-Ukraine war, now more than seven months on.

Russian forces took the area around Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, the largest such plant in Europe, early in the conflict. The risks posed by nearby fighting and the sustained military presence at Zaporizhzhya, which is still run by Ukrainian workers, have caused international concern

Novak: Russia is ready to supply gas via the undamaged Nord Stream 2 pipeline.

What will Germany choose? War against Russia or an alliance against the USA?
Unfortunately, this is a rhetorical question. :-(

That's interesting, and certainly those from NATO should realize... but were they expecting that Putin would make a call for mobilization?

Yup. Were they expecting Putin/Russia to become so powerful? One might say well yes, it’s all part of some grand plan, but that ignores that most wonderful of the PTB’s traits: Wishful thinking!!!! 🥳

Putin issues decree to put Zaporozhye NPP on list of Russia’s federal assets​

MOSCOW, October 5. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin has issued a decree to put the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) facilities on the list of federal assets.

"The Russian government shall take measures to establish federal ownership of the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant and other facilities necessary for its operation," reads the decree published on Wednesday."

"Putin also instructed the government to establish the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant federal state unitary company to ensure security of its assets."

Article below:

IAEA chief Grossi says he is on his way to Kiev​

"VIENNA, October 5. /TASS/. Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Rafael Grossi is heading for Kiev, he wrote on Twitter on Wednesday."

"On our way to Kiev for important meetings. The need for a Nuclear Safety and Security Protection Zone (NSSPZ) around Zaporizhzhya (Zaporozhye - TASS) Nuclear Power Plant is now more urgent than ever," Grossi tweeted."

Article below:

Some wider thoughts around context to perhaps keep in mind when assessing what is happening on the battlefield day by day.

1. No one since 1945 has waged an actual battlefield-style war on this scale against another fully armed and prepared nation state able to put a larger army than you into the field backed up for at least a while by substantial financial, physical and political resources supplied from elsewhere.
2. The front line is around 1,000 miles long. That's a hell of a lot of ground to cover with what is basically an expeditionary force.
3. This war is taking place on all fronts and as such is as much an economic war as a military one - perhaps more so. Although the Russians have completely outsmarted the west's expectation that the sanctions would bring this 'petrol station on legs' to its knees, (in fact it's demonstrably backfiring and it is we in the west who are the one's who now face all the severe downside of this hubristic policy), that doesn't mean it was a guarantee this would happen from day one or that it hasn't been tough for the Russian government to manage, and its not over yet. Therefore going full in on the battlefield - and say raising the reservists much earlier in the year - risked domestic trouble at home if the economic situation wasn't first stabilized and made secure. The Russian fiscal services are making very positive noises and yes the Ruble has outperformed all expectations, but this has taken time to become a stable factor. No government can risk war abroad if discontent is likely to become worse at home (ask the Americans about Vietnam) and I think it is only now that the vast majority of the Russian population are fully convinced and fully behind the sacrifice at home required to see this one through to the necessary conclusion. This has all taken time and a very careful political negotiation to the point where the Russian people themselves effectively demanded firmer action abroad.
4. What Putin has done - launching the SMO and now with the incorporation of the 4 states into Russia - technically goes against all the international laws he so strongly espouses to be the basis for mature international relations. He and his team have therefore had to put in enormous efforts to keep on side the Chinese, the Indians and all the others now quietly supporting these actions who could quite easily have found that unacceptable red lines were being crossed (especially to do with the incorporation of territories belonging in international law to another nation state). Until such a time as he/the Russian government were absolutely sure of the acceptance of these necessary real-politic actions by all these external parties he/they simply could not afford to act more aggressively on the battlefield. That has now been achieved and I think that is why we are going to see these firmer military actions taking place from now on.
5. Remember that the Russian army is not a conscript army but a professional one. Apparently a huge number of service contracts came up for renewal in August and a large number of battlefield fatigued volunteers elected not to renew their contracts of service. That is another reason relating to my point 2. that for a period between then and the decision to call in the reservists that Russian forces on the ground over such a long line of defense were vulnerable to counter attacks which the Ukrainians effectively chose to send in from multiple directions at once. This cost the Ukrainians dearly but at the same time it did find out weak spots in the Russians defenses and hence these minor PR victories.

So a complex moveable feast.

I still believe that the Russian plan back in March was to exert immediate extreme pressure on the authorities in Kiev to force them into a negotiated settlement (hence the initial threatening move on Kiev itself) and then once a deal was successfully achieved, fully withdraw its forces with only Crimea accepted as being incorporated into Russia and Donbas officially given independent status along with Ukraine declaring official neutrality. When that plan was scuppered by the US and Johnson back in March when it was within touching distance of succeeding, then suddenly a whole new vista of risk opened up that has taken the summer passing to create a new set of circumstances so as to allow the Russians to effectively move Plan B forward (i.e. creating a new demarcation line between NATO, Ukraine and Russia's western borders) via a changed and increased level of direct action on the battlefield.

So we should try to remember this war and this global situation is extremely complex, is ever shifting and has many layers to it, home and abroad. Putin the juggler has to manage these matters step by step thinking four moves ahead and I think thus far, by hook or by crook, it has been more a masterclass in chess than a kick-boxing exercise gone astray.

Berlin denounces Washington’s ‘astronomical’ profiteering​

"The US and other “friendly” gas-supplier states have been profiting from the worsening energy crisis in the EU, Germany’s Economy Minister Robert Habeck said on Wednesday."

Article below:

Back
Top Bottom