Psychopathy - something to strive for?

Do psychopaths make good CEOs?

_http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/10/26/wisdom-psychopaths-dutton/

Looks that Kevin Dutton is making it's rounds with his research, suggesting that some psychopathic traits are something we would die for that sounds to me like the perfect twisting of words to make it cool. Disgusting actually.

Yes, according to The Wisdom of Psychopaths, a new book by Kevin Dutton. Ambitious executives, take note!

By Scott Olster, editor

FORTUNE -- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment. Should be cool under pressure. Ambitious go-getters welcome. You find these clichés in most job descriptions these days. You may have even written one of these descriptions, if you're hiring. Little did you know that your ideal candidate might well be a psychopath.

That's right, a psychopath. We associate the term with murderers, rapists, and other violent criminals. Names like John Wayne Gacy, Hannibal Lecter, and Ted Bundy might come to mind. But there's another side to psychopathy, according to research psychologist Kevin Dutton's The Wisdom of Psychopaths.

"Psychopaths appear, through some Darwinian practical joke, to possess the very personality characteristics that many of us would die for," Dutton writes. Exceptional persuasiveness, captivating charm, and razor sharp focus under immense pressure (like war zones) seem to come naturally to psychopaths. Dutton presents a battery of research spanning several centuries to back up this assertion.

He also embarks on an investigative journey into the depths of modern psychopathy, relaying entertaining conversations with researchers, law enforcement agents, and psychopaths themselves. He even participates in an experiment where his brain is electromagnetically induced into functioning -- briefly -- the way a psychopath's normally operates.

Dutton's clearest description of a psychopath comes from Hervey M. Cleckley, an American physician and author of The Mask of Sanity (1941), a seminal work in the study of psychopathy. Paraphrasing Cleckley, Dutton describes this enigmatic character as "an intelligent person, characterized by a poverty of emotions, the absence of shame, egocentricity, superficial charm, lack of guilt, lack of anxiety, immunity to punishment, unpredictability, irresponsibility, manipulativeness, and a transient interpersonal lifestyle."

Sound like anyone you work with or, perhaps more likely, work for?

Many -- but not all -- of these qualities are commonly attributed to successful CEOs, surgeons, lawyers, even U.S. presidents. Speaking of presidents, Dutton refers to a 2010 analysis of personality questionnaires researchers had sent to biographers of every single American commander in chief. The results? "A number of U.S. presidents exhibited distinct psychopathic traits, with John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton leading the charge," Dutton writes.

Another researcher, Robert Hare, sent out a psychopathy checklist test called the PCL-R to over 200 executives in 2010 and compared the results to the overall population. "Not only did the business execs come out ahead, but psychopathy was associated with … charisma … creativity, good strategic thinking, and excellent communication skills," writes Dutton.

So what, exactly, gives psychopaths such talent, the ability to be cool as a cucumber, even when they are staring death straight in the eye? It comes down to brains, it seems. For most of us, when we are thrown into a stressful situation, whether it's a high-stakes exam, watching a scary movie, or fighting off an attacker, the parts of the brain that actively respond to pain, panic, and other emotions kick into high gear. For psychopaths, it's the opposite. They even calm down during these moments of heightened tension.

Essentially, Dutton argues, psychopaths naturally display the kind of emotional self-control that Tibetan monks and elite soldiers spend many years developing. In this respect they seem ideally suited for a cruel, uncertain, dangerous world.

Much like ice cream and great wine, however, there can be too much of a good thing when it comes to psychopathy. For all the seemingly "functional" psychopaths out there, there are at least a few serial killers. But what separates the two types? The answer is complicated, but it comes down to a combination of self-control and social abilities. "The fate of a psychopath depends on a whole range of factors, including genes, family background, education, intelligence, and opportunity," writes Dutton.

So, murder and other violent actions aside, should we all embrace our inner psychopath if we want to get ahead in life? Not quite, but Dutton does offer a few qualities that non-psychopaths should work on if they want to get through life a little easier. They include mental toughness, focus, and mindfulness. Dutton notes that cognitive behavioral therapists have been helping their patients develop these qualities for years now. Buddhists have been on the case for even longer.

Dutton spins a solid yarn, turning what could easily have been a dry survey of psych research into entertainment. At times, he overdoes it. Case in point: "The neural tsunami of madness need not, in other words, wash apocalyptically up on the crystalline shores of logic." Umm, what?

The argument also gets hazy when Dutton ventures outside his own field of psychology. At one point he suggests that psychopathic traits might be especially relevant in today's business world, claiming that "the new millennium has seemingly ushered in a wave of corporate criminality like no other."

For all we know, he might be right, but he backs this massive assumption with nary a statistic or study. We are left in the dark. Sure, we are all raw with the pains of the Great Recession, the scores of corporate scandals and CEO resignations, and the way in which many of the most egregious actors in the run-up to the housing crisis have largely escaped punishment, or even profited. In the absence of data correlating corporate criminality with executive psychopathy, however, we might just as easily argue that reports of wrongdoing are up because of the never-ending news cycle, the expansion of the workforce, and increased sensitivity (among some) to corporate ethics.

Nevertheless, Dutton has a point. With competition in several job markets tightening, a nearing "fiscal cliff" in the U.S., and Europe in a state of painful economic uncertainty, today's working world can easily feel like a dark place. In such a world, a little psychopathy can go a long way.

Which professions have the most psychopaths? The fewest?

_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-barker/which-professions-have-the-most-psychopaths_b_2084246.html

Again, the book of Kevin Dutton gets a lot of promotion, hmmm...

First off, psychopath doesn't just mean someone who cuts you up with a chainsaw -- though the majority of people who do things like that are psychopaths. What's the definition?

Psychopathy is a personality disorder that has been variously described as characterized by shallow emotions (in particular reduced fear), stress tolerance, lacking empathy, coldheartedness, lacking guilt, egocentricity, superficial char, manipulativeness, irresponsibility, impulsivity and antisocial behaviors such as parasitic lifestyle and criminality.

So which professions (other than axe murderer) do they disproportionately gravitate towards -- or away from?

Via The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success:

2012-11-06-ScreenShot20121106at5.35.01PM.png

And the next thing that comes to mind is: Why?

Most of the professions on the right require human connection, dealing with feelings and most of them don't offer much power. Psychopaths, by their very nature, would not be drawn to or very good at these things.

On the other hand, most of the roles on the left do offer power and many require an ability to make objective, clinical decisions divorced from feelings. Psychopaths would be drawn to these roles and thrive there.

That said...

Chef? Really? I guess it pays to tread lightly around anyone who has a set of knives bearing their initials.

This article originally appeared on Barking Up The Wrong Tree.

Re: Which professions have the most psychopaths? The fewest?

And the next thing that comes to mind is: Why?

Most of the professions on the right require human connection, dealing with feelings and most of them don't offer much power. Psychopaths, by their very nature, would not be drawn to or very good at these things.

On the other hand, most of the roles on the left do offer power and many require an ability to make objective, clinical decisions divorced from feelings. Psychopaths would be drawn to these roles and thrive there.

This is just wrong, IMO. Psychopaths, due to their remarkable ability to observe, mimic and manipulate human feelings, would be drawn to the professions dealing with feelings such as therapist. And if power is considered as the ability to control and manipulate people then therapist, teacher, care aide professions certainly promise a lot of power.

On the other hand, psychopaths are generally below average in technical ability. So surgeon jobs would not be very attractive to them.

Another attempt to muddy the water regarding psychopathy?

Bobo08 said:

It seems so. If anyone read Stout's or Cleckley's books on the subject, it is pretty clear that psychopaths are found in the helping professions, since this way they can have access to vulnerable individuals. This author doesn't know what he is talking about. Or he does, and he does it on purpose?

Alana said:
This author doesn't know what he is talking about. Or he does, and he does it on purpose?

Well, his book is called "The Wisdom of Psychopaths". He glorifies psychopathy in most of the articles that I've read about the book, so my guess is he is doing it on purpose.

edit:

I suppose he could have been damaged by psychopathy too. I haven't read the book.

Bobo08 said:
This is just wrong, IMO. Psychopaths, due to their remarkable ability to observe, mimic and manipulate human feelings, would be drawn to the professions dealing with feelings such as therapist. And if power is considered as the ability to control and manipulate people then therapist, teacher, care aide professions certainly promise a lot of power.

On the other hand, psychopaths are generally below average in technical ability. So surgeon jobs would not be very attractive to them.

Alana said:
It seems so. If anyone read Stout's or Cleckley's books on the subject, it is pretty clear that psychopaths are found in the helping professions, since this way they can have access to vulnerable individuals. This author doesn't know what he is talking about. Or he does, and he does it on purpose?

I agree. His view seems almost childish, or he does it on purpose. Professions like therapists and doctors or teachers are an opportunity for the psychopath to acquire power over others. Even creative artist, who can influence other's mind and behaviour. The chef in the +psycho list must be a joke.

The plus list also doesn't include politicians, national and world leaders and the military for Pete's sake. Unless he's attempting to hide those in "civil servants.

Definitely, trying to distort the concept rather than making it clearer.

Mac

Psychopaths will seek professions wherever they can achieve domination over others according to their own level and capacities. That includes ANY so-called "helping" profession. In fact, such jobs are magnets for psychopaths. Things such as nursing, kindergarten teachers, sunday school teachers, even low-level front-line clerks can be attractive to a low achieving psychopath. Skid-row bum is also a favored occupation. There are no hard and fast rules except to understand that the psychopath lives behind a mask and that mask is an imitation of being a real human in any and every capacity.

Conveniently he also did not mention politicians, as we know the major psychopathy is found among them.

Shane said:
Alana said:
This author doesn't know what he is talking about. Or he does, and he does it on purpose?

Well, his book is called "The Wisdom of Psychopaths". He glorifies psychopathy in most of the articles that I've read about the book, so my guess is he is doing it on purpose.

edit:

I suppose he could have been damaged by psychopathy too. I haven't read the book.
The title it self puts me off :evil:. suddenly psychopaths becomes saints with the word "wisdom". By adding saints to the list , they becomes psychopaths.
Isn't interesting this guy comes out ( at least to our attention), when TS is sweeping the roads for his politics.

Re: Do psychopaths make good CEOs?

Navigator said:
_http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2012/10/26/wisdom-psychopaths-dutton/

Looks that Kevin Dutton is making it's rounds with his research, suggesting that some psychopathic traits are something we would die for that sounds to me like the perfect twisting of words to make it cool. Disgusting actually.

Yes, according to The Wisdom of Psychopaths, a new book by Kevin Dutton. Ambitious executives, take note!

By Scott Olster, editor

FORTUNE -- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment. Should be cool under pressure. Ambitious go-getters welcome. You find these clichés in most job descriptions these days. You may have even written one of these descriptions, if you're hiring. Little did you know that your ideal candidate might well be a psychopath.

That's right, a psychopath. We associate the term with murderers, rapists, and other violent criminals. Names like John Wayne Gacy, Hannibal Lecter, and Ted Bundy might come to mind. But there's another side to psychopathy, according to research psychologist Kevin Dutton's The Wisdom of Psychopaths.

"Psychopaths appear, through some Darwinian practical joke, to possess the very personality characteristics that many of us would die for," Dutton writes. Exceptional persuasiveness, captivating charm, and razor sharp focus under immense pressure (like war zones) seem to come naturally to psychopaths. Dutton presents a battery of research spanning several centuries to back up this assertion.

He also embarks on an investigative journey into the depths of modern psychopathy, relaying entertaining conversations with researchers, law enforcement agents, and psychopaths themselves. He even participates in an experiment where his brain is electromagnetically induced into functioning -- briefly -- the way a psychopath's normally operates.

Dutton's clearest description of a psychopath comes from Hervey M. Cleckley, an American physician and author of The Mask of Sanity (1941), a seminal work in the study of psychopathy. Paraphrasing Cleckley, Dutton describes this enigmatic character as "an intelligent person, characterized by a poverty of emotions, the absence of shame, egocentricity, superficial charm, lack of guilt, lack of anxiety, immunity to punishment, unpredictability, irresponsibility, manipulativeness, and a transient interpersonal lifestyle."

Many -- but not all -- of these qualities are commonly attributed to successful CEOs, surgeons, lawyers, even U.S. presidents. Speaking of presidents, Dutton refers to a 2010 analysis of personality questionnaires researchers had sent to biographers of every single American commander in chief. The results? "A number of U.S. presidents exhibited distinct psychopathic traits, with John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton leading the charge," Dutton writes.

Another researcher, Robert Hare, sent out a psychopathy checklist test called the PCL-R to over 200 executives in 2010 and compared the results to the overall population. "Not only did the business execs come out ahead, but psychopathy was associated with … charisma … creativity, good strategic thinking, and excellent communication skills," writes Dutton.
What is the PCL-R score of the Dutton ?. This is outrageous corruption of psychopathy. This books looks like a psychopathy book for psychopaths. what he seems to be saying is " Keep on plundering until nothing else left" because you are successful, world will not understand. What a pity game!.

Many -- but not all -- of these qualities are commonly attributed to successful CEOs, surgeons, lawyers, even U.S. presidents.

how does he define SUCCESS ?. one can achieve the cooperation of others using lying, manipulation, hiding the real data, twisting truth. what is the end result of it at corporate level, at short term , long run and condition of general population at short term, and long run.

Most successful organizations ( in terms of money, power ) are found to be pedophiles. Is that success ?. As usual devil is in details.

Yea I don't have a good feeling about it either. Since when does a book on psychopathy get so much (media) attention?

Coming monday, I could actually visit the central library in a city nearby, to see his point of view of things, as he will be present:

Dr Kevin Dutton wrote The wisdom of Psychopaths, how psychopathic traits can lead to success in many professional fields. In this evening of Writers Unlimited The Series, Dutton will exchange thoughts on the subject with renowned Dutch lawyer Gerard Spong. Their conversation will be moderated by forensic psychiatrist (and writer/poet) Antoine de Kom.

Oxajil said:
Yea I don't have a good feeling about it either. Since when does a book on psychopathy get so much (media) attention?

Yeah, I have that same line of thought plus the title of his book stood out of place for me. I also don't think that psychopaths are limited to a small range of fields.

This book struck me a strange as soon as I saw the title "The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success" Why put Saints in with Serial Killers? It seemed to suggest a bit of NLP to me. Then there is that photo of the author_https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVDnj-tgv99drzS7AlETfItK8_PKCvzcyekn2FREG8ZSSqRLywmw. Good enough for a third rate noir detective novel but what is it trying to say on the jacket of this book? So I looked through the extracts offered by google and his method does seem to be a matter likening apples to oranges, talking about schizophrenia and anxiety and leaving us to pick up the hint that psychopathy is no worse and probably better. His old dad the psychopath was not so bad after all...

(I just wrote most of this post but about 4 times longer - and much more interesting... and much better written... but then I did something wrong with the mouse and it all disappeared doh! I cant write it again)

Laura said:
Psychopaths will seek professions wherever they can achieve domination over others according to their own level and capacities. That includes ANY so-called "helping" profession. In fact, such jobs are magnets for psychopaths. Things such as nursing, kindergarten teachers, sunday school teachers, even low-level front-line clerks can be attractive to a low achieving psychopath. Skid-row bum is also a favored occupation. There are no hard and fast rules except to understand that the psychopath lives behind a mask and that mask is an imitation of being a real human in any and every capacity.

No to mention that, for a psychopath, such professions also imply taking control/care over vulnerable groups.

Back
Top Bottom