Pros and cons of working out

agni

Dagobah Resident
In your opinion, is working out (weight lifting) good or bad for you ?

Society seems to be promoting working out like there is no tomorrow. It smells little bit fishy to me. Is there is something behind it ? Side affects people not quite aware of (like blocking DNA activation). Is there a particular reason why someone wants people to consume large quantity of protein and grow muscles ? Or is just me being poranoic ?

It might be good for health, but concentration on the body just feels wrong.

Aerobic exercise is definitely needed to maintain good health, and there is nothing wrong with keeping your muscles toned. As you said, concentrating on the body solely is not the right way of thinking. This is another area where being in this world but not of it is important.

The devil is in the details.

Yeah i agree with Beau, cardio is definately necessary, we should all get ~20 mins a day of light aerobic excercise to keep our circulatory system including our hearts, healthy.

I can't see anything wrong with weightlifting, other then its repetative and boring. I prefer hiking, swimming and climbing trees, but what do i know?

agni said:
In your opinion, is working out (weight lifting) good or bad for you ?

Society seems to be promoting working out like there is no tomorrow. It smells little bit fishy to me. Is there is something behind it ? Side affects people not quite aware of (like blocking DNA activation). Is there a particular reason why someone wants people to consume large quantity of protein and grow muscles ? Or is just me being poranoic ?

It might be good for health, but concentration on the body just feels wrong.
I started lifting weights to get bigger when I was in my 20's. It didn't take me long to figure out that I wasn't going to get big without some "artificial" help but I found that I enjoyed weight lifting. It helped me with my (intensely physical) job in that I had more energy/endurance. I stopped lifting a few years ago due to a severed/reattached finger and have not started up again.
One drawback was that my metabolism got so high that I needed to eat 5-6 times a day (around 4000 calories total) to maintain 195 lbs at 11% bodyfat (I'm 6'1"). My work was as much of an influence on metabolism as the weightlifting but irregardless, I had to eat a lot. Then there are the health clubs. I'm not overly fond of gyms (narcissistic people, crowded, etc...) but it was a necessary evil because I didn't have all the equipment I needed, or space for it, at home. Being able to work out at home is ideal, OSIT.
The fitness industry is also incredibly annoying. Endless infomercials selling equipment to make working out "easier" (oxymoron anyone?), expensive and unnecessary supplements that may or may not work (and never as well as claimed), and always emphasizing physical appearance.
Done correctly, weightlifting can give cardio conditioning. Lighter weights with higher rep schemes and short rest breaks between sets will definitely get your heart pumping. Look at volume training for a possible example. And no, weightlifting does not have to be "repetative and boring" (sticks out tongue), it's up to the individual to regularly change the workout - be ceative. Cardio can be boring and repetitive too, just look at all the stationery bikes, treadmills and such that are so popular.

yoga uses no machines only belts and bolsters ,you can always work one muscle against another and it can be done in your own home and for me it gives me a more general whole body workout than say weight lifting,and there is a spiritual side to it as well -the warm-down meditation at the end in the corpse position(we call it elvis impersionation)is almost the best part imo RRR

I'm trying to workout since few months in order to lose some weight but it doesn't worf, must find another thing. I think it is ok if one workout without being too absorbed by the weel-looking part and the body adoration stuff. trying to get healthy is ok as long as it doesn't interfer with the... with the quest you know. will try pilates soon for my lower back weaknes, anyone knows about it?

Back
Top Bottom