Playing the Victim by Kirill Serebryannikov

CarpeDiem

Jedi Council Member
Just saw the film. Mindblowing. I even can't define properly whether it's a tragedy, comedy, brought to extreme combination of both... It has sparks of brilliant humor, but it left me dense and dark feeling of our 'today' and of ourselves. Grotesque. It's about engrossed emptiness of our reality.
Young school graduate Vanya finds a peculiar job - he plays a victim in police reenactments of evicts.
A police srew of three films police reenactments on camera. First evict coldbloodedly murders his bride in the bio-toilet while she is sitting on the [what it's called?] and then tires her body in parts. The second young evict-intelligent man with some neurasteny traits shows how he had thrown from the kitchen window his wife; the third scene - a man from Caucasus shows how he had drawn his beloved who refused to continue relationships in the water pool. The next scene police reenactment displays young man who out of no reason at all just ON WHIMS
makes a 'pooch' from his pistol into his school mate and murders him in japanese restoraunt. During reenactment he didn't show any sign of remorse, he just said: 'I simply made 'poooh' like this, and he fell'.
Vanya, the young man who plays those victims, has troubled relationships with his bride; then sees a ghost of his father who is tellling him that he was poisoned by his own wife and his brother-twin (like in Hamlet).
Then during the dinner with his bride, mother, and her new lover - he poisons all 3 of them. Then he re-enacts his own crime scene. He doesn't display any sign of conscience when he re-enacts scene where he murders his own mother and bride. 'Mother went into the kitchen and fell here. ' 'Bride went into the bathroom, opened the water, started drinking, i said to her - the poison started to have effect. You can't do anything'. She continued to drink. Then she fell. ' Police officer asks him: Did you try to help them when you understood that the poison [i think japanese fugu-fish] is killing them?' Vanya answered: 'No. I just OBSERVED.' - Why didn't you help them?' - Because i had to remember all details to be able to re-enact that today'

Reviews on net:
Playing the victim
PLAYING THE VICTIM is a dark comedy made as a modern-day adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Valya, a young student is earning money by representing victims of the crimes during various police investigation. After the criminal has been seized a special group headed by a police captain has to reconstruct the crime scene. The process itself is quite comic and senseless: the criminals are defined already, and everyone knows, that they will be prosecuted. However the regulations still require a special team to imitate the crime once again in the same surroundings. The criminal should fictionally kill the victim (represented by Valya) one more time to confirm their guilt. Valya is drowning in his absurd life going from one terrible crime scene to another. Suddenly he has a vision: his deceased father comes to him in his sleep and tells the scary truth- he was poisoned by his own wife and her lover, who is now Valya's uncle... After this, the whole system of values of Valya's world collapses. He will become himself the criminal who will have to confess while somebody else represents his victims.

french 1
french 2
Luciana Morelli review
Maurizio de Bonis review

youtube trailer
eBay has 2 DVDs now

Back
Top Bottom