Personality Disorder Treatment

Jimbo

Padawan Learner
What is the most effective treatment for personality disorders? I have done a little bit of research but I don't know of the authenticity of the information since most of the treatment seem to be more of a money maker than a 'better health maker'. lol. Some of the treatments I have looked into are;
Psychodynamic psychotherapy; "This approach entails talking about your condition and related issues with a mental health professional. Psychotherapy can help people with personality disorders recognize how they're responsible for the turmoil in their lives and learn healthier ways of reacting to people and problems. Individual, group and family therapy can all be helpful.
Cognitive behavior therapy; This for of psychological treatment involves actively retaining the way you think about problems, which in turn improves your emotions and behaviors.
Dialetical behavior therpay; This type of cognitive behavior therapy focuses on coping skills-learning how to take better control of behaviors and emotions with techniqus such as mindfullness, which helps you observe your feelings without reacting. It is most often used to treat borderline personality disorder. Doctors are studying the effectiveness of this type of therapy with all types of personality disorders.(http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/personality-disorders/DS00562/DSECTION=8)^^

Im not very knowledgable when it comes to treatments of this kind, so I would greatly appreciate any contribution of personal experience or wisdom.

One more thing; Would hypnotherapy be useful in this kind of 'mental ailment'. And if so, what would be a recommended way to receive this therapy (Or learn to perform this therapy which I am quite interested in doing.)

I'm not very knowledgeable either, and I would be interested in people's thoughts. Personality disorders (of the non-narcissistic kind) have plagued certain people close to me, and the suffering that results from no one really knowing how to treat it is truly horrendous. I'm not just talking here of suffering of the person with the disorder; I'm also referring to those people around them. So many psychiatrists think this thing or that thing in terms of causes and treatments; but it seems to be the case that they very often have never had to live with or near someone with a personality disorder. Medication is certainly not a long-term answer in most cases. I too have often wondered whether hypnotherapy would yield anything beneficial -- perhaps some suppressed event is the root behind a personality disorder, and by uncovering it, maybe the disorder could be resolved.

It seems to me that the treatment for personality disorders shares the same fate as cancer treatment. Even though there are probably very simple and easy to impliment measures one can take, we feel that medication is a 'cure-all' and thus turning cancer from a possibly simple problem into a global epidemic/multi-million dollar industry. I highly doubt the PTB want anything to do with an effective treatment with personality disorders since one of their main goals is to 'psychopathize' the world. So Im just going to have to do some digging to find something.

The cure you seek does not exist as I too have had extensive interaction with folks who have had a variety of personality disorders ranging from schizophrenia, narrcisim, schizoid personality disorders, sociopaths, and folks who are outright psychopaths. Any kind of psychotherapy involves the person receiving the treatment to be able to recognize their disorder, discuss every issue related to the disorder including how it effcts their lives and relationships, and then take steps to make changes in their behavior. However, a person with this type of disorder cannot see the problem. The disordered thinking is their reality. As an example it can be quite disturbing to speak with a person who is convinced that the pictures on their walls speak to them, which can happen with schizoid personality types. They may hold jobs and maintain a home, but then have bizarre ideas like this and no matter how much talking you do--they would see you as the problem because you do not have "the gift".
Medications can only mask symptoms. Psychiatry is rudimentary at best and is considered an art rather than a science. When a person is put on medications it has to be monitored and dosages are often changed because the psychiatrist is hoping that what he/she prescribes will work and adjustments are made based on reports from the patient. The jails and prisons are filled with sociopaths and psychopaths who live to prey on others and see nothing wrong with doing so. Whereas a normal person might sincerely desire to change their behaviors if faced with having to serve time in jail because they can see the error in their ways or behaviors---these other folks cannot.

If you think about personality disorders - the real deal that is genetic (and I think that the real deal IS genetic) - as opposed to people who act out because they are terrorized and traumatized by those with such disorders, as a sort of emotional retardation along a spectrum and/or as a category similar to mental retardation, you'll understand that it cannot be "cured" though, certainly, in some cases, a person can be helped to function reasonably normally in life.

Or so it seems to me. Just theorizing based on a LOT of observation and reading.

How can you tell if you are a hereditary narcissist yourself. My mother and grandmother, I am quite sure, are both narcissists and my brother (who is autistic) is obviously narcissistic. My father's not though or anyone on his side of the family. How can you tell if you're not a narcissist yourself? I have been looking online and there doesn't seem to be very good information for self-diagnosis since narcissists don't seem to self-diagnose very often. surprise, surprise. Im actually pretty worried now. Any suggestions?

You can do a search on the internet for the commonly accepted criteria for NPD. Apparently you have NPD if you satisfy 5 or more of the following:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement
6. Is interpersonally exploitative
7. Lacks empathy
8. Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Jimbo, I know what you mean when you said "I'm actually pretty worried now". After examining this list, I myself have considered that maybe I could perhaps either have NPD or have some traits of it. But when you look at the above criteria, you realise that most people will satisfy SOME of them SPORADICALLY throughout their lives. The key, I believe, is identifying the degree to which you satisfy the criteria. Having said that, there are some criteria which pretty much are either all or nothing, such as Number 7 and Number 5.

These are my thoughts on the above, which I have also used in conjunction with an assessment of myself:

Number 1 -- self-importance. This is something that we ALL have to overcome. However most people's self-importance is not grandiose.

Number 2 -- fantasies of power, brilliance, beauty, etc. This is something that I have entertained occasionally just for fun, but only in the context of what GOOD I could do with the added power and money. But I'm not preoccupied with it, by any definition of that word. I suspect that Laura et al wished they had more money and influence just so they could get their message out more clearly.

Number 3 -- belief that one is special and unique. While I don't think I'm special, it is true that I am unique in the sense that the way I think about certain things is rare. In fact, everyone who takes these forums seriously IS unique. I also don't adhere to the mainstream trends and am individual in many aspects -- however I don't TRY to be individual just to stand out, as some certainly do -- rather I just AM that way.

Number 4 -- requiring excessive admiration. Most people like to be appreciated or praised for doing something truly worthwhile. I like to be appreciated and praised in "due course", because it gives me encouragement. Having said that, I cannot stand excessive admiration -- in fact it embarrasses me to no end. I have a grandmother who has done that in the past, and I really wish she wouldn't. I also would continue in what I believe regardless of whether or not it was appreciated. So the difference, it would seem, between someone with NPD and someone without it is that the former requires EXCESSIVE admiration, to the point of worship.

Number 5 -- a sense of entitlement. This is something I believe that most normal people don't have, in any amount. I've never believed I am entitled to something by some inborn virtue.

Number 6 -- interpersonal exploitation. I take it this means using someone. I find the concept ghastly and abhorrent.

Number 7 -- lacking empathy. Well empathy is one of those things that any normal person possesses. But I do believe it's possible for someone to lack empathy in some areas, but not in others. I know someone who is bipolar and has, during severe episodes, stolen credit cards from family close to her, has lied terribly that she hasn't, and doesn't seem to care of the suffering she causes along the way. However ironically this same person is extremely sensitive, never hurts anyone deliberately, is never cruel, and gets upset at seeing others suffer, that is, when she's not having a manic episode. But this is an unusual case, and probably can't be used as an example. As for myself, well I get quite upset at seeing any kind of suffering, whether it be animal or human. It's not hard for me to put myself in another person's shoes.

Number 8 -- often envious of others or believes other are envious of him/her. I do get envious from time to time, but it's rare. I believe most people have brief stints of envy. I'm not aware of thinking that others might be envious of me.

Number 9 -- shows arrogant, haughty behaviours and attitudes. Well this is probably the criterion that I satisfy the most. I fully admit, I CAN be arrogant and "haughty". I have a major problem with that, and this is also encompassed somewhat by a self-importance issue I have to address. My arrogance usually stems from long and thorough research in a topic in which I am 99% sure I am right, and I don't "suffer fools", you might say. But I need to learn that just because I might be right, it doesn't give me the right to behave in a dogmatic, arrogant manner. This is something I find hard not to do in such an instance.

Any comments and suggestions to the above would be appreciated.

Third Density Resident, thank you so much for your response. I don't beleive that I posses all of those, but then again, I could just be kidding myself and trying to preserve something. I know as a young child I had an extreme amount of empathy. For example, I remember while watching Jaws I started crying because the people getting eaten were on vacation, completely innocent and were just trying to have a good time. But then again, intention could have been narcissistic and I just can't remember. But thankyou for sharing your experience and advice. You made good points and have alleviated my worry somewhat.

Number 6 -- interpersonal exploitation. I take it this means using someone. I find the concept ghastly and abhorrent.
TDR - you haven't read the stories of the exposed on our website (http://cyberpaths.blogspot.com)

We spent most of our time helping the exploited try to pick up the pieces and deal with the aftermath; which inevitably involves personal smear & attacks by the disordered predator.

ACONS (Adult Children of Narcissists) usually become magnets for a lifetime of Ns. A certain amount of narcissism is healthy. A true narcissist, Jimbo - would never bother to ask they questions you are asking us and yourself. Why would a perfect person need to ask questions? ;)

purplehaze said:
A certain amount of narcissism is healthy. A true narcissist, Jimbo - would never bother to ask they questions you are asking us and yourself. Why would a perfect person need to ask questions?
That's pretty much it, you know. I don't think you really, REALLY grok the genuine narcissist. Having some narcissistic traits, and behaving narcissistically doesn't a real narcissist make, believe me! My mother was pretty darn narcissistic; you could even say she was a "narcissist" in a general sense, but she did not have NPD which is a whole other kettle of fish!

And that, of course, does not excuse or lessen the damage that a narcissistic person can do to others. Someone who does not have NPD can still cause a LOT of pain to others - as can any one of us if we forget others and stop trying to put ourselves in the shoes of the other person and see things from their point of view.

I just think about it as categories and gradations of emotional retardation. Some retardation is "fixable" to a great extent. Some "slow" people can learn a lot if care and the right approach is taken. Others can never learn anything.

Same with narcissists - but not NPD - the real thing. That's like profound emotional retardation, irreversible, can't be fixed, fuggedaboutit.

Laura said:
don't think you really, REALLY grok the genuine narcissist. Having some narcissistic traits, and behaving narcissistically doesn't a real narcissist make, believe me! My mother was pretty darn narcissistic; you could even say she was a "narcissist" in a general sense, but she did not have NPD which is a whole other kettle of fish!
Thankyou Laura, I think I was definately under estimating the condtion and over exaggerating my family member's behavior. I still think I display all the traits of paranoid personality disorder;
psychcentral.com said:
A pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her
is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates
is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her
reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events
persistently bears grudges, i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights
perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack
has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner
Which could explain the suspicions of myself and others. lol. Any good ways to treat that?

Third_Density_Resident said:
You can do a search on the internet for the commonly accepted criteria for NPD. Apparently you have NPD if you satisfy 5 or more of the following:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement
6. Is interpersonally exploitative
7. Lacks empathy
8. Is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Ad 1. Some people say I do have it. Some other say just the converse. Whom to believe?

Ad 2. Ideal love? I think I am the guilty one!

Ad 3. I think everybody is special and unique. I am not an exception, I think. Or am I?

Ad 4. I do. At least some people will say so.

Ad 5. I think I am entitled to do what I choose to do. Or am I mistaken?

Ad 6. I am emotionally exploitative - as I must have stepped on the emotions of some of the people.

Ad 7. I certainly lack empathy - for mosquitoes and similar creatures, for instance.

Ad 8. I am sure I am envious. Some people are smart so I also want to be smart!

Ad 9. Oh, just search the net - you will find lot of places where I am being described as one of the most arrogant persons in the whole internet community.

Therefore, according at least to some self-appointed "experts", I got a serious problem.

But, perhaps, this test got a serious problem as well?

So, perhaps we should be beware of all such tests that classify according to answers to a given number of questions?

To classify a lot of knowledge, expertise and experience is always needed.

Jimbo said:
Which could explain the suspicions of myself and others. lol. Any good ways to treat that?
Just sounds to me like narcissistic wounding. You need to read The Narcissistic Family by the Pressman's. Right away. A child can grow up with narcissistic wounding when there is no narcissistic (technically speaking) in the family. It's pretty common, in fact.

Do a search on the forum here for "pressman" and see if you can find an excerpt. I think I posted one once.

Back
Top Bottom