Personal messages, deactivated?

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hi there,

is it someting new that no personal messages can be send anymore? I already wondered that the stamp (to write messages) under the avatars is missing. All in all I wanted to send Laura a PM, cause of the application (FOTCM).

Gawan said:
Hi there,

is it someting new that no personal messages can be send anymore? I already wondered that the stamp (to write messages) under the avatars is missing. All in all I wanted to send Laura a PM, cause of the application (FOTCM).

If it is about your application for FOTCM, maybe you can write to her according to this message.

Laura said:
I'm thinking that if you are having mail troubles, just fill it out, sign it, scan it, and send it to laura(at)cassiopaea.org ... I'll print it and file it and hold it until the original comes via mail, whenever that may be.

Bohort said:
Gawan said:
Hi there,

If it is about your application for FOTCM, maybe you can write to her according to this message.

Laura said:
I'm thinking that if you are having mail troubles, just fill it out, sign it, scan it, and send it to laura(at)cassiopaea.org ... I'll print it and file it and hold it until the original comes via mail, whenever that may be.

Thank you Bohort,
so I will do it in that way.

I'm also curious about this, as the PMs also do not work for me. I have some PMs to reply to regarding the Artchemical Matter and the work between Stuart and I on the Wave covers, but i cannot reply or send any new messages. Is it a glitch or is this functionality being phased out of the forum?

JonnyRadar said:
I'm also curious about this, as the PMs also do not work for me. I have some PMs to reply to regarding the Artchemical Matter and the work between Stuart and I on the Wave covers, but i cannot reply or send any new messages. Is it a glitch or is this functionality being phased out of the forum?

It is not a glitch. For the time being, the PM system has been disabled. It came to our attention, through input from forum members receiving messages, that despite the many warnings and guidelines against using personal messages on this forum, many people were sending conversational PM to one another, some of them engaging in obvious negative feedback loops and emotional feeding or emotional feeding attempts.

For this reason, until we can design a system that protects all members of this forum from such activity, the PM system has been disabled.

We expect to have an improved system in place after the next forum upgrade that should take place within the next month or so.

In the meantime, I'm sure you can use your blog to communicate, though, as when you started Artchemical matter, I again caution you and everyone on this forum from assuming that just because someone is a member of this forum that means they're 'safe' or 'aware' or 'of a like mind'.

I realize it is inconvenient, but considering that so many people were ignoring the guidelines, it was the best step we could take at this time. People seem to truly not understand the inherent dangers, or perhaps they think the guidelines don't apply to them - or they are attempting to feed or vector other forum members, due to their own issues/agenda.

I suppose it was to be expected, considering the mechanical nature of Man, but, one would hope the vast majority of the members of this forum would be at least attempting to minimize that.

So, that's 'the skinny' - it will be obvious once we've moved to a new system for personal messages, for those very rare occasions when they might be necessary.

anart said:
It is not a glitch. For the time being, the PM system has been disabled. It came to our attention, through input from forum members receiving messages, that despite the many warnings and guidelines against using personal messages on this forum, many people were sending conversational PM to one another, some of them engaging in obvious negative feedback loops and emotional feeding or emotional feeding attempts.

For this reason, until we can design a system that protects all members of this forum from such activity, the PM system has been disabled.

We expect to have an improved system in place after the next forum upgrade that should take place within the next month or so.

In the meantime, I'm sure you can use your blog to communicate, though, as when you started Artchemical matter, I again caution you and everyone on this forum from assuming that just because someone is a member of this forum that means they're 'safe' or 'aware' or 'of a like mind'.

I realize it is inconvenient, but considering that so many people were ignoring the guidelines, it was the best step we could take at this time. People seem to truly not understand the inherent dangers, or perhaps they think the guidelines don't apply to them - or they are attempting to feed or vector other forum members, due to their own issues/agenda.

I suppose it was to be expected, considering the mechanical nature of Man, but, one would hope the vast majority of the members of this forum would be at least attempting to minimize that.

So, that's 'the skinny' - it will be obvious once we've moved to a new system for personal messages, for those very rare occasions when they might be necessary.

Thank you for explaining that. The course of action makes total sense...

anart said:

[...]

Thank you Anart,
on the one hand it's sad, makes things more impractical, but hopefully on the other all peole can get protected with it.

JonnyRadar said:

I will send you again one message/email with the help of your blog.

People need to remember that psychopathology most often hides behind the most normal mask imaginable. "Friendly interest" and "chattiness" and seeming concern are the tools the psychopath uses to allay the suspicions of their victims.

If you really have a need to contact someone else on the forum, just write to me: laura(at)cassiopaea.org and explain why and I will contact the other person and tell them that contact is wanted and why and let them decide if they want to share their email addy. (Assuming I think it's even a good idea and I won't be so easy to convince.)

We have just seen too many people preyed upon by pathological types who have created convincing "net personas". We do not intend to allow this forum to become a hunting ground! We do, however, wish to utilize FOTCM as a means of helping people to get together and work together in a safe context.

Gawan said:
anart said:

[...]

Thank you Anart,
on the one hand it's sad, makes things more impractical, but hopefully on the other all peole can get protected with it.

JonnyRadar said:

I will send you again one message/email with the help of your blog.

If needed, I can hook the two of you up via email for this project. just send me an email to laura(at)cassiopaea.org

We do, however, wish to utilize FOTCM as a means of helping people to get together and work together in a safe context.

I am in agreement with this. The safety and integrity of this forum are an absolute priority, for all members. Thank you for bringing this to our
attention, this has prompted me to re-review the guidelines. Your house, your rules. :)

- Hi everyone

A few days ago it was told me that if I wanted to participate in the Dutch Translation team I had to send a PM message to those who decide on that.

I did send a message but never got a reply back.

I though that maybe it was because the PM system was still disabled.

Does anybody know if that can be the problem?

bjorn said:
- Hi everyone

A few days ago it was told me that if I wanted to participate in the Dutch Translation team I had to send a PM message to those who decide on that.

I did send a message but never got a reply back.

I though that maybe it was because the PM system was still disabled.

Does anybody know if that can be the problem?

Hi bjorn,

The pm message are working normally.

Did you send your message to Ailén?

If so, give Ailén some time to answer. They are all quite busy right now.

- Hey Bohort.

Yeah I did.

Thanks for letting me know about the situation.

Back
Top Bottom