Paris Olympic Mascots are Phrygian Caps

Benjamin

The Living Force
With all the talk of the Phrygian cap recently in the Julius Caesar and Mithraism thread, it was released that the mascots for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games are two Phrygian caps. I just thought the timing of this was weird.

Prygian Cap Mascots.jpg

Phrygian caps to be the Paris 2024 Games mascots

November 14, 2022

PARIS, Nov 14 (Reuters) - Phrygian caps will be the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games mascots as organisers look to celebrate the French revolution's spirit.

"'Phryges' aim to show that sport can change everything, and that it deserves to have a prominent place in our society," Paris 2024 brand director Julie Matikhine said on Monday.

The Phrygian caps were favoured over animals, who have mostly been the first choice in other Olympics - such as the 'Bing Dwen Dwen' panda at the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing this year.

"We were almost ready not to make a mascot if we didn't find a real reason to do so, and a real message to convey," said Matikhine.

"The mascot must embody the French spirit, which is something very fine to grasp. It's an ideal, a kind of conviction that carries the values of our country, and which has been built up over time, over history."

The red Phrygian caps come in two versions - the Olympic and the Paralympic one - with a blade leg.

With all the talk of the Phrygian cap recently in the Julius Caesar and Mithraism thread, it was released that the mascots for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games are two Phrygian caps. I just thought the timing of this was weird.

View attachment 66823
Weird indeed! Red caps are symbolic all over the world these days. IMO, MAGA is about way more than America. What will they do if everyone of a certain mind starts wearing a red cap? I'm wondering who was the decision maker, ha ha.

I'm just familiarizing myself with the French Revolution since the article clearly mentions the 'celebration of the French revolution's spirit' as being the motivation behind the creation of the mascot. I think they are trying to invoke the idea of 'freedom from tyranny' but with that came the guillotine. Why didn't they make that the mascot? They could have named it 'Gilly'.

In thinking about the run-up to the actual revolution- the heavy taxes on the poor, food shortages, the partying upper classes and hoarding food, disastrous weather destroying crops- and then thinking about the global situation now and the 'great reset', this Phrygian cap mascot for 2024 starts to take on a bad taste.

It's like a history repeating itself only this time it feels 'forced'. Idk, this got really weird all of a sudden.

From the Bernard-René Jordan de Launay (French governor of the Bastille) wiki (which made me think of the Phrygian cap on a pole):

"1789 engraving of the beheaded Mayor of Paris Flesselles and de Launay. The caption reads "This is how we get revenge on traitors"."

1668493082129.png

I'm just familiarizing myself with the French Revolution since the article clearly mentions the 'celebration of the French revolution's spirit'

On this subject, one must understand how deep is the programming related to "The french revolution" into french people's minds.
As an example, just search videos on the 1989 bicentenary (YT has some).
I'm wondering who was the decision maker, ha ha.

I' ve just took a look at the two co-presidents of the "Paris 2024" comitee bio , they're both born in the Pyrénées and are high rank in french sport institutions since many years...

I'm wondering who was the decision maker, ha ha.

Julie Matikhine is the chief brand director for Paris 2024 committee.

What puzzles me is a lot of the previous mascots (and mascots in general) were/are animals. Animals are safe choices for mascots, generally portrayed as fun and inviting which is what a country would want at an international event. When it comes to France, the obvious choice would be a rooster, its unofficial emblem. But:
The Phrygian caps were favoured over animals...
"We were almost ready not to make a mascot if we didn't find a real reason to do so, and a real message to convey," said Matikhine.

Dump the entire mascot if you can't convey the right message? Seems drastic. What's wrong with the rooster? On the website, 'freedom' is the message attached to the cap, even though they say the French National Archives show records of these caps being worn during the construction of the cathedral of Notre-Dame in 1163. Were they free then? Idk. I guess what I'm saying is I'm getting mixed messages from this choice.

Interesting to note about the 'Phryges' (fridgees? free-gees?) is that they are both female. They say so. So, right there, as a choice, the rooster is out.

The etymology of 'mascot'.
mascot (n.)

"a talisman, charm, thing supposed to bring good luck to its possessor," also "person whose presence is supposed to be a cause of good fortune," 1881, from provincial French mascotte "sorcerer's charm, 'faerie friend,' good luck piece" (19c.), of uncertain origin, perhaps from or related to Provençal mascoto "sorcery, fetish" (a Narbonnese manuscript of 1233 has mascotto "procuress, enchantment, bewitchment in gambling"), from masco "witch," from Old Provençal masca, itself of unknown origin, perhaps from Medieval Latin masca "mask, specter, nightmare" (see mask (n.)).

Popularized by French composer Edmond Audran's 1880 comic operetta "La Mascotte," about a household "fairy" who gives luck to an Italian peasant, which was performed in a toned-down translation in England from fall 1881. In reference to animals (later costumed characters) representing sports teams, by 1889.

A mascot sounds like a form of apotropaic magic.

From the mascot wiki:
A mascot is any human, animal, or object thought to bring luck, or anything used to represent a group with a common public identity...

It was initially sports organizations that first thought of using animals as a form of mascot to bring entertainment and excitement for their spectators.[2] Before mascots were fictional icons or people in suits, animals were mostly used in order to bring a somewhat different feel to the game and to strike fear upon the rivalry teams.

I kinda get the impression that mascots of today is like 'familiars' (ie: the black cat) which were believed to be "supernatural entities that would assist witches and cunning folk in their practice of magic."

Well, first, there is no magic here. I just thought the etymology was interesting and then my imagination started running around.

Second, the idea of the 'Phryges' being female is linked to the 1830 painting Liberty Leads the People by Eugène Delacroix showing Liberty wearing a red (-ish brown?) Phrygian cap:

Liberty Leading the People.jpg

Third, the 'revolution' side is being presented as 'revolution through sport' and how sport can change everything, seemingly for the better, although we've seen how Russia and Belarus have been treated in the sports world for years now, including at the Olympics. In regards to the chief brand director of these games, Julie Matikhine is a supporter of Ukraine (FB) but that doesn't mean much specifically. Still, Russia and I'm sure Belarus are planning on attending but a lot could happen in two years.

I’ve been trying to find out more about the Phrygian cap and instead of continuing in the Mithraism thread, I moved here. I find it strange that a 2000+ year old cap that featured prominently on the head of Mithras would seemingly go dormant, make a resurgence in the 11/12 centuries apparently being worn by European commoners, and then pop up in the American and French Revolutions as the Liberty cap. Why? Where did it get its association with liberty?

The Phrygian cap wiki says:
In late Republican Rome, a soft felt cap called the pileus served as a symbol of freemen (i.e. non-slaves), and was symbolically given to slaves upon manumission, thereby granting them not only their personal liberty, but also libertas – freedom as citizens, with the right to vote (if male). Following the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC, Brutus and his co-conspirators instrumentalized this symbolism of the pileus to signify the end of Caesar's dictatorship and a return to the (Roman) republican system.

These Roman associations of the pileus with liberty and republicanism were carried forward to the 18th century, until when the pileus was confused with the Phrygian cap, then becoming a symbol of those values.

The murder of Caesar brought chaos. Wouldn’t the pileus then be the ‘cap of chaos’? So, did the Phrygian cap have a meaning before it became ‘confused’?

The Phrygian cap has a pretty specific shape. The forward-projecting ‘point’ is of a medium-ish length and does not stand vertical nor rest on the top-front of the head which leads me to assume that it is made out of a material that is structurally strong enough (like felt) to hold its shape- lighter fabric would ‘flop’- or there is a structure under the fabric. So I started out by trying to separate what was and what was not a Phrygian cap. Limiting my search to coins, I found a huge array of headwear. For instance:

Satrap Examples.jpg

This type of headwear is generally referred to as a ‘satrapal headdress’. I’m drawing a hard line by saying none of these are related to the Phrygian cap, but that doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a general influence.

As a note, I ran into some caps misslabled as Kyrbasia or Bashlyk, when these two styles are quite distinctive from the ones pictured above and also seem to be worn mostly by kings.

The problem with these depictions is that they all look ‘solid’. There is no colour and I sometimes can’t tell if it’s a hard or soft material. But I read something that helped add possible clarity.
“The Sakâ tigrakhaudâ ("Sacae with pointed hats") were defeated in 520/519 BCE by the Persian king Darius I the Great, who gave this tribe a new leader. … Herodotus calls the Sakâ tigrakhaudâ the Orthocorybantians ("pointed hat men"), and informs us that they lived in the same tax district as the Medes. … The pointed hat is a kind of turban.

The turban is one piece of cloth that’s wrapped around the head. Some of the satrapal headdresses look like they might be wrapped. As well, this 8th century Tang dynasty clay figurine at the Museum of Oriental Art in Turin is of a probable Zoroastrian priest from the Sogdian people. He is also shown wearing a veil- that appears to cover his head as well with two pieces of fabric(?) resting on his forehead- apparently to prevent breath and saliva from contaminating the holy fire.

Zoroastrian Magi + close-up.jpg

IMO, this headpiece looks like it’s wrapped and could be closer in style to the turban. If this is the case, could the knob be hair wrapped in cloth like the turban?

As a sidenote, in 1675, French revolutionaries wore a cap known as the bonnets rouges. While it did not look like the later Phrygian cap version, a knot of ribbons formed in the shape of a circle (looking like a flower or radiating star), known as a cockade, was pinned or sewn to the side of the cap. This feels very similar to the Suebian knot. To distinguish Germanic Suebi freemen from slaves, the freemen would tie their hair in an elaborate knot at the side of their head above the temple as evidenced from the Osterby Head bog body. The idea of a ‘knot of hair’ makes me think of the hair ‘bun’ and turban.

So, on coins, if the ‘satraple headdress’ was being worn by political type people, who was wearing the Phrygian cap?

My tally for the Phrygian Cap on coins. The numbers before the names are from CoinArchives. The numbers in brackets after the name are from RPC.

1- The Adoration of the Magi (0)
1- Aeneas (0)
0- Ascanius (1)
3- Athena (6) (Athena isn’t depicted wearing the cap)
4- Attis (0)
1- Artemis/Bendis (8)
3- Dido or Tanit (0)
0- Ganymede (14)
27- Mên (195)
5- Midas (6)
7- Misc. (?)
4- Mithras (16)
1- Paris (2)
11- Perseus (2)

The list is of all gods (minus the Adoration of the Magi). I could not find a single human being wearing this cap, so labeled. There are a few exceptions, but mostly they’re in a generalized way with the ‘captive’ representing a people or a country. I started to think that, maybe, who wears what headdress might be a way of distinguishing what is and is not a Phrygian cap: humans wear ‘satrapal headdresses’, gods wear Phrygian caps.

But in the list there is one deity that really stands out. Who the heck is Mên?

Mên- Dedication by Agathopous as a Thanksgiving -Late 2nd C. AD- British Museum.jpg

Mên is an Anatolian lunar god that has ties to the Zoroastrian god Mah/Mao, Sin, and Selene/Mene, who his counterpart and from whom his name is derived. He is easily recognized by the crescent moon at his back with the two tips rising like horns from behind his shoulders. He also appears to wear the Phrygian cap exclusively. The Lydian version of him was known as Meis. He was not a Roman god, the pine tree was sacred to him (usually shown holding a pinecone/egg) , and was very closely associated with Cybele, although Mên does not appear to be from Phrygia. It looks as if the original cult, whatever it was, was hellenised first then Romanised, then destroyed.

The dating of the ‘cult of Mên’ flourished between 2nd c. BC- 2nd c. AD though it is suggested that it may have started as early as the 4th c. BC (in Lydia?) and continued, generally, until 4th-5th c. AD. From the considerable and mounting number of inscriptions found from the handful of sites uncovered, he’s just a god that people would address their day-to-day human problems to though there appears to be evidence of animal sacrifice.

Now, a really nice feature from RPC is that they map the coins that are found. I decided to see what the dispersion was for Attis, Mithras and Mên, with Cybele for comparison. I found the results a bit surprising expecting more for Attis and Mithras.

City Dispersion Map.jpg

It might be a bit hard to read so the number of cities where coins were found featuring Attis only number 2, Mithras- 5, Mên- 76, Cybele- 115. The vast majority of the Mên coins date from the 1st- 4th century. It was a pretty serious cult in its time.

The cult was brought to an area by individual people. The name of the founder of each individual sanctuary is added behind the name Mên. This tells you who founded it and where it’s located. Only a few are known currently.

Meis/Mên Tiamou- founded by (the Persian?) Tiamou near Maionia in Lydia (possibly c. mid-4th century BCE, which could make this the earliest attestation in Anatolia)

Meis/Mên Artemidorou Axiottenos- founded by Artemidorou (?) at Axiottenos (Axiotta), near Kollyda (Gölde), Lydia (to be specific, it’s at Mağazadamları, ~5km NW of Hamidiye just south of the Hermos river, Lydia) (c. 2nd century BCE) A total of 74 inscriptions have been found in the surrounding area.

Mên Pharnakou- founded by Pharnakes I at Ameria near Cabria, Pontus (c. 2nd century BCE).

Bust of Men Pharnakou.jpg

Strabo 12.3.31: (A different translation found here.)
She has also the temple of Mên surnamed of Pharnaces, at Ameria, a village city, inhabited by a large body of sacred menials, and having annexed to it a sacred territory, the produce of which is always enjoyed by the priest. The kings held this temple in such exceeding veneration, that this was the Royal oath, ‘by the fortune of the king, and by Mēn of Pharnaces.’ This is also the temple of the moon, like that among the Albani, and those in Phrygia, namely the temple of Mēn in a place of the same name, the temple of Ascæus at Antioch in Pisidia, and another in the territory of Antioch.

Strabo was born in Amaseia in Pontus around 64 BCE which is not very far to the northwest of Ameria. He would have lived during the existence of Mên Pharnakou.

Mên Askaenos- located near Antioch of Pisidia (c. 2nd century BCE). The sanctuary of Mên Askaenos, on a hill known as Kara Kuyu (Black Well), ~3.5 km SE of Antioch of Pisidia, is the most well documented to date. See this excellent site for photos, survey plans and reconstructions of both Antioch and Kara Kuyu from the Kelsey expadition.

Antioch of Pisidia and Men Askaenos on Karakuyu (locations).jpg

Apple map showing the locations of Antioch of Pisidia and the site of Mên Askaenos.

Strabo 12.8.14:
The Paroreia has a mountainous ridge extending from east to west. Below it on either side stretches a large plain, cities are situated near the ridge, on the north side, Philome lium, on the south Antiocheia, surnamed Near Pisidia. The former lies entirely in the plain, the other is on a hill, and occupied by a Roman colony. This was founded by the Magnetes, who live near the Mæander. The Romans liberated them from the dominion of the kings, when they delivered up the rest of Asia within the Taurus to Eumenes. In this place was established a priesthood of Men Arcæus, having attached to it a multitude of sacred attendants, and tracts of sacred territory. It was abolished after the death of Amyntas by those who were sent to settle the succession to his kingdom.

From pp.6-8 of the book Pisidian Antioch, The Site and its Monuments, by Stephen Mitchell and Marc Waelkens (1998):
The original settlers of Antioch came from Magnesia on the Maeander.(23) …

However, the nearby sanctuary of Mên Askaênos certainly dates back to the second century BC. Indeed there are points of comparison between the ground plans of the two temples at the Mên sanctuary and those of Artemis Leucophryene and Zeus Sosipolis at Magnesia, which could be the result of direct Magnesian inspiration or influence (see pp. 66-7 below). Strabo tells us that before the time of Augustus there was a priesthood of Men Askaeus at Pisidian Antioch, and that it controlled a large number of sacred slaves and sacred lands. (29) There are many well known parallels for such temple organizations. Cappadocian Comana was ruled by a priest, second in rank to the king of Cappadocia. The temple of Enyo or Ma at that place owned an extensive territory and six thousand slaves.(30) At Venasa the temple of Zeus was also endowed with fertile territory and three thousand slaves, and administered by a priest, who held office for life.(31) At Pontic Comana Pompeius appointed his own nominee as high-priest, adding new territory to the sacred land that already existed; here too the temple slaves numbered six thousand. At Zela there was an important temple of the Persian goddess Anaitis, with sacred slaves inhabiting the territory, governed by a priest, (33) and at Cabria the sacred land and slaves belonged to the same god, Men, as was worshipped at Antioch.(34) Closer to Antioch on the western confines of Galatia was Pessinus, which was also originally governed by the priests of the mother goddess.

However, it would be mistaken to press too far the parallel between the temple at Antioch and the temple-states of central and eastern Anatolia. Sacred slaves and sacred lands were a feature of Greek as well as of oriental temple organisation, and there is no reason to believe that a priestly state existed alongside and in competition with the Greek polis at Antioch. In the hellenised environment of hellenistic and Roman Pisidia the city at Kaynar Kale, west of lake Kestel (probably the ancient Codrula), had a temple of Pluto and Kore with numerous sacred slaves attached to it, some of which had been dedicated to temple service by Roman colonists from nearby Comama.(36) In addition, as will be seen, the actual remains of the sanctuary at Antioch are Greek in character and provide no architectural evidence for an ‘eastern’ or ‘Anitolian’ cult. It is an interesting paradox that the remains of the sanctuary, dedicated to an Anatolian god, provide the clearest evidence for the hellinised culture of the Seleucid settlement.

In 25 BC, at the same time as Roman annexed most of central Asia Minor to create the province of Galatia, Antioch was refounded as a Roman colony, Colonia Caesares Antiochia, and it received a new settlement of Roman veterans, drawn from the legions V and VII.(37) Although no legionary camp has been located, epigraphic evidence suggests that the seventh legion may have been stationed as a garrison force in the vicinity of Antioch for most of the reign of Augustus before it was transferred to the Balkans around AD 7.(38)

I’ve kept a little extra in that passage but the main point I’m focusing on here is about the sacred slaves. It’s just an idea, but I wondered if the Phrygian cap might have been worn by the priests or the 100’s/1000’s(?) of slaves and/or followers of Mên? I have no evidence for this though.

What was the fate of the Mên Askaenos sanctuary at Kara Kuyu, Antioch? While one gets the impression that Mitchell didn’t really think all that highly of Ramsay, on p.85 he writes:
However, on one point Ramsay was decisive and with good reason. He argued strongly that the sanctuary, particularly the temple and its immediate surroundings, had been deliberately destroyed in antiquity by Christians. ‘The intention of the Christians who wrecked it was to leave it a howling wilderness into which no man could enter. The entrance was deliberately blocked up, and almost all the votive stelae which were erected in great numbers in the open space of the sanctuary were broken in pieces with he intention of deliberate wreckage. In one case, at least, parts of the same stele were found remote from one another, inside and outside the sanctuary.’ ‘Not a scrap of the temple above the stylobate was found, except two or three blocks of the lowest course. The stones (marble?) were carried away.’ (68) [John George Clark] Anderson had made the same point: ‘In the hour of their final triumph the Christians entered in to destroy the holy place, and they left it a desolate ruin. Only the more massive monuments survived their revel of destruction and many even of these were smashed to fragments, while the lighter stones, slabs, tablets, statues, and the like were dashed to pieces and flung broadcast over the sacred enclosure.’ (69) As will be clear from the early part of this chapter Ramsay’s and Anderson’s archaeological observations should be treated with extreme reserve, but here they surely hit the mark. Delapidation and earthquake damage would account for the collapse but not for the dispersal or disappearance of the temple superstructure. A large and thriving community on the same or at a nearby site might take away the cut stone for its own building needs. But substantial public buildings on a remote mountain top, inaccessible to wheeled traffic in antiquity and up until the very recent past, ought to have been immune from wholesale stone robbing. Blocks from the cella walls, including much of the socle moulding, were reused in the construction of the church, and, if that is correctly dated to the later fourth or fifth centuries, it provides a solid terminus ante quem for the destruction of the temple. As for the remaining elements, the entablature, the columns and their capitals, and the decorative order from the surrounding temenose- all the features which would have helped visitors to identify these hellenistic buildings for what they were- we must follow Ramsay’s view that they were smashed and perhaps buried by the Christians, in one of the more startling testimonies to the conflict between paganism and the Christianity in late Roman Asia minor.

Mên Kamareites- Nysa on the Maeander in Lydia.

Mên Karou- (‘the Caria Mên’) ~13 miles west of Laodicea on the Lycus, Caria. Known for its apparently renowned medical school. (2nd c. BCE (or earlier?))

Strabo 12.8.20:
Between Laodiceia and Carura is a temple of Mén Carus, which is held in great veneration. In our time there was a large Herophilian school of medicine under the direction of Zeuxis, and afterwards of Alexander Philalethes, as in the time of our ancestors there was, at Smyrna, a school of the disciples of Erasistratus under the conduct of Hicesius, At present there is nothing of this kind.

This medical school at Mên Karou brought up an article which mentioned a ‘Phrygian stone’.
"One of the principles of medicine at that time was that compound diseases required compound medicines. One of the compounds used for strengthening the ears was made from the spice nard (spikenard? an aromatic plant). Galen says that it was originally made only in Laodicea, although by the second century A.D. it was made in other places also. Galen also described a medicine for the eyes made of Phrygian stone. Aristotle spoke of it as a Phrygian powder. Ramsay tries to explain what kind of medicine it was by saying it was not an ointment but a cylindrical collyrium that could be powdered and then spread on the part affected. The term used by John in Revelation is the same that Galen uses to describe the preparation of the Phrygian stone. Would not these medicinal concoctions be a reason why John cautions the Laodiceans to buy 'ointment for your eyes so that you may see' (Revelation 3:18)?" (Blake and Edmonds, Biblical Sites in Turkey, p. 140).

The principal deity worshipped in Laodicea was the Phrygian god Men Karou, the Carian Men. In connection with this god's temple there grew up a famous school of medicine, which followed the teachings of Herophilus (330-250 B.C.) who began administering compound mixtures to his patients on the principle that compound diseases require compound medicines." (Otto F.A. Meinardus, St. John of Patmos, p. 125).

Here is Rev. 3:14-18 for comparison:
To the Church in Laodicea

(14) “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. (15) I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other (16) So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (17) You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. (18) I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see."

After looking around, this stone is apparently pumice that when ground up into a powder has an astringent quality. However, and I might be completely off here, when I read about the Phrygian stone, ‘gold refined in the fire’, ‘ointment for the eyes’, ‘strengthening the ears’ (made me think of Proverbs 20:12)… it started to sound like a ‘Philosophers’ Stone’ thing. I think I also remember reading that the Rev. passage was about choosing one’s alignment and being the best at that alignment instead of being 'lukewarm'. I'm not suggesting that this was being taught at the temples of Mên.

There is also the other ‘Phrygian stone’ that was a meteorite located at the Temple of Cybele in Pessinus, Phrygia before it was taken to Rome in 203 BCE.

One of the oldest coins depicting Mên is a c. 25-50 BCE semi-autonomous coin from Antioch, Pisidia. On the reverse side is a humped bull. The next oldest is a c. 69-79 AD semi-autonomous coin from Nysa, Lydia.

The bull is interesting because in my coin searches, I was running into the bucranium in association with Mên. So I had another look (first number WildWinds, number in brackets RPC):

28- Antioch, Pisidia (115)
1- Esbus, Arabia (22)
1- Julia/Iulia, Phrygia (3)
5- Nysa, Lydia (9)
0- Sillyum, Pamphylia (7)

There were other cities that had this combination but I didn't bother listing them since nothing compared to Antioch. When I did a search for ’Phrygian cap’ + ‘bucranium’, I could not find a single coin without Mên.

Coin, Mên, Rooster, Nike, staff, Phrygian Cap, Cippus (resize).jpg

Here is the reverse side of a coin from 238-244 AD, Antioch, Pisidia.
Mên standing facing, head to right and left foot on bucranium, holding scepter in his right hand and Nike on globe in his left, resting left arm on column; at feet to left, rooster standing left, head right.

There is an older coin dated 193-211 AD from Antioch where the reverse side depicts the same image only the ‘cippus’ (column, Kore?) has a snake wrapped around it.

On the ForumAncientCoins, a writeup of Mên on coins was made.
Mên (MHN) was the male Anatolean moon god. His name is corresponding to the masculine form of Selene (MHNH). In Hellenistic times his cult spread out from Phrygia over Lydia, Pisidia and the whole Asia Minor to Attica and Athens. Here he was under the name TYRANNOC the god of the slaves, and like in Asia Minor ruler of the city and owner of the land, often together with the local MHTHR. Numerous inscriptions with law character show Mên with various, not always explicable, epitheta. Mên is depicted occasionally riding on a horse, but mostly standing in Phrygian clothing with spear or scepter, crescent with horns and cock, stepping on the head of a bull, as on this coin. As syncretistic deity he soon was melted with Attis, Sabazios, Zeus Dolichenos and Mithras. Finally he was the god of heaven (MEGAS MHN OYRANIOC) and ruler of the underworld (MHN KATACHTHONIOC), yes, even the one and only god (EIC THEOC). In Antiochia was a great sanctuary of Mên.

When it comes to ‘TYRANNOC, the god of slaves’, I have no idea where this is coming from. I can’t find any god specifically for slaves let alone a god named Tyrranoc οr Τυρρανοψ, although I’ve run into this name sporadically without any further clarification. Many, if not all, sanctuaries and temples had many slaves, servants, etc, so that might be what this is being referred to (even though I don’t know how the term ‘slave’ is being used. Could it be even more encompassing like, perhaps, everyone being ‘bound to earthly existence’?). Otherwise, the only info I have been able to find is a definition from Wiktionary:
τύραννος

Ancient Greek

Etymology

Perhaps a borrowing of a Lydian word for “king” or a similar word in another language of Asia Minor.

Compare Hittite [script needed] (šarawanaš), [script needed] (tarawanaš), Philistine 𐤈𐤓𐤍 (ṭrn, “lord, ruler”), and Etruscan 𐌕𐌖𐌓𐌏𐌍 (turon, “mistress, lady”), a surname of Venus, which is probably related.

[Robert S. P.] Beekes argued for a Pre-Greek origin.

Pronunciation

IPA: /tý.ran.nos/ → /ˈty.ran.nos/ → /ˈti.ra.nos/

Noun

τῠ́ρᾰννος • (túrannos) m or f (genitive τῠρᾰ́ννου); second declension

1. absolute ruler (i.e. of gods, kings), initially applied to Lydian king Γύγης (Gúgēs)
2. (with negative connotation) tyrant, dictator, despot

If ‘TYRANNOC’ is being used as a name, rather than a description or title, than the only deity that I can find that might be related is Taranis, a Celtic thunder god. But I’m not sure about this.

I didn’t want to turn this into a ‘Mên’ post, so lastly, here are the oldest coins showing the Phrygian Cap:

Pegasos and Athena- c. 375-400 BCE- Corinth- Phrygian Cap.jpg
Corinthia, Corinth- c. 375-400 BCE; Pegasos flying left on front. On reverse, Athena wearing Corinthian helmet looking left with Phrygian cap behind. (Link)

Herakles and Zeus Aetophoros- c. 301-310 BCE- Kingdom of Macedon.jpg
Kingdom of Macedon- c. 301-310 BCE; On front, head of Herakles wearing lion-skin headdress. On reverse, Zeus Aëtophoros seated to left, holding eagle, sceptre; AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, monogram in left field, male head facing left, wearing Phrygian cap, below throne. (Link)

Apollo and Bendis- Phaloria, Thessaly- c. 225-275 BCE.jpg
Phaloria, Thessaly- c. 225-275 BCE; Apollo facing right on front. Bendis on reverse wearing short chiton, hunting boots and Phrygian cap, seated left on a rock, holding arrow in her right hand, spear in her left, and with bow and quiver over her shoulder. (Link)

Astypalaia- Perseus wearing Phrygian cap- c. 1st-2nd centuries (resize).jpg
Astypalaia, an Island off Caria- c. 1st-2nd centuries BCE; Perseus wearing a Phrygian cap. (Link)

Denizli_Museum_8863.jpg

Eumenia, Phrygia- c. 1-133 BCE; On the front is the bust of Mên looking right. On the reverse is an eight-pointed star with the letters ‘E-Y-M-E-N-E-Ω-N’ between the rays. (Denizli Museum 8863) The cap looks like it has bumps, almost like scales, all over it. This could be the earliest depiction of Mên on a coin. Another copy of this coin carries the same wide date of c. 1st-2nd centuries BCE. (Link)

When trying to find where Eumenia was, I ran into this curious bit of info.

EUMENEIA (Εὐμένεια: Eth. Εὐμενεύς: Ishékle), a town of Phrygia, situated on the river Glaucus, on the road from Dorylaeum to Apameia. ... It is said to have received its name from Attalus II, who named the town after his brother and predecessor, Eumenes II. ... On some coins found there we read Εὐμενέων Ἀχαίων [Eumenes of Achaea], which seems to allude to the destruction of Corinth, at which troops of Attalus were present.

Corinth was completely destroyed in 146 BCE by the Romans. ”When he entered the city, Lucius Mummius killed all the men and sold the women and children into slavery before burning the city, for which he was given the cognomen Achaicus as the conqueror of the Achaean League.” I found an example of the coin dated c. 244-249 AD dipicting Apollo-Mên riding a horse carrying a double-axe. I find it odd that this suggested connection between Eumenia and Corinth would be on a coin ~390 years after the event. A current town named Isikli appears to be where Eumeneia was.

Just my thoughts of what else the Phrygian cap looks like:

-a mushroom (eg: the psychoactive Liberty Cap)
-a bell

There was a section of the previous post that I decided to make into a ‘part II’. It's about the 'Phrygian' helmet.

Capricorn with Cornucopia- c. 24 AD-27 BC.jpg

Here are two Augustas coins from a Spanish mint, c. 16-18 BCE, that show a Capricorn holding a globe in front of a rudder with a cornucopiae above (in place of a wing?). In other pictures of cornucopiae (‘horn of plenty’, goat’s horn) I had seen, I thought that the Phrygian helmet kinda looked like it. But what I noticed first was the bumps on its tail and how similar they looked to the cap on the one Mên coin at the end of the previous post. Now, I understand that those bumps could be a design that’s been worn down and no longer showing what they actually were. I’ve seen worn laurel wreath designs look exactly like those bumps, but on the Mên cap it’s not a wreath because the bumps are all over. Unfortunately there’s no other coin to compare.

Regardless, there was a connection with water that I noticed coming up here and there which took me to Sicily.

Campanian Mercenaries Coins- Tauromenion, Sicily- c. 354-344 BCE.jpg

From top to bottom: Link, Link, Link

Three coins from c. 354-344 BCE struck for Taurmenion, Sicily depicting a Campania Mercenary helmet on the front and the monogram ‘TK’ combined with ‘KAM’ surrounded by a laurel wreath on the back. (T- Tauromenion, K- Kampanoi, A- (?), M- Mercenario (?)) The monogram looks a little bit like the 'square and compass'.

This helmet, which I can only assume they wore, looks similar to ‘glowing’ Phrygian caps (helmets?) like the one depicted on the head of Darius I on the Darius Vase, for example.

While browsing other coins from Sicily, I came across some hippocamps. There are a lot of hippocamps on coins, but the ones from cities in Sicily seem to be unique, as far as I can find. They are the only ones to depict a spiky (glowing?) tail. These come from Solus and Syracuse, c. 350-400 BCE.

Hippocamp- Sicily- 4 coins.jpg

It would be fairly easy to think that this next helmet is a Campania Mercenary helmet based on the ridge but, as I understand, this is a Greco-Thracian helmet of possible Chalcidian variation, but I can’t find any solid info about it other than it’s c. 4th century BCE.

Chalcidian Helmet- c. 4th Century BCE.jpg

If you notice the gap between the two metal ridges at the top, that gap was apparently filled with horse hair to make a fan shape which is missing on the Camp. Merc. coins. Beautiful helmet. Obviously it has wings and what appears to be coiled snakes. The cheek pieces have a female figure on them who is probably a goddess (Athena? Bendis?). There are also two crests on the front, the lower being what looks like a partial disk of a man's bearded face or perhaps a gorgon, and above that is the emblem of a bird or gryphon, which could be why this is called a The Gryphon Helmet.

I ran into a forum thread on another site that had a link to a page with a Russian url where someone had uploaded a chapter from a book about Thracian armour. I can’t load the home page but I can load the link. This chapter focused on helmets.

Thracian Helmet- Pletena- c. 4th Century BCE.jpg

This is a Thracian helmet. It’s not Phrygian at all although many people refer to it as such, I think, because of the shape. The chapter shows several other helmets like this and mentions that “21 “Thracian” helmets were found inside the territory of Ancient Thrace.” Being found in burial tombs, this one is dated to the first half of the 4th century BCE.

Also in the chapter I came across one sentence that might illuminate the meaning of this unique style.

The form follows the style of Thracian headgear, perhaps a legacy of the Otomani flame symbol.

A lot of ‘Ottoman’ comes up in the web searches, but when I went to the ‘Ottomany’ wikipage, hoping for a picture of the flame symbol, I think I lucked out.

Ottomany Bronse Disks- Flame Symbol- c. 1400-2100 BCE.jpg

The Ottomany culture is early bronze age, c. 1400-2100 BCE, from the area of Romania. I don’t know what they’re for but these are little bronze disks, although nothing is mentioned about there being a ‘flame symbol’, show a design that sure looks similar to the style of the Thracian helmet. It’s weird that it looks like a wave, as does the Phrygian cap, but here the design looks like a sun. Could it be a spinning comet coming straight on?

Cornucopiae Drawing.jpg

Or like a swastika from (#29) Pierre’s post that, maybe, the ‘Phrygian’ helmet/cap is perhaps one ‘arm’ of the 'spiky' or ‘glowing tail’ of that swastika?

Thracian Helmet- Swastika- Progression.jpg

I mentioned earlier about running into the word TYRANNOC (‘Tyrannus’), ‘the god of slaves’, found on a coin of Mên. Thinking it was some kind of deity or title, I found something that is, potentially, a bit more concrete. There was a group of people known as the Tyrrhenians that was first spoken of by Hesiod (8th century BCE). There is no race or culture known to have this name so it’s been established that it generally refers to a group of non-Greek people and specifically to pirates!

There is a body of water known as the Tyrrhenian Sea located west of the Italian Peninsula to the islands of Corsica and Sardinia, and north of Sicily. It gets its name from the Tyrrhenian people who are identified with the Etruscans. On the coastline south of Etruria (Etruscan) was Campania (of Campanian Mercenaries fame who made their ‘base’ in Sicily).

Strabo 6.2.2:

They say that Ephorus founded these first cities [Messana, Tauromenium, Catana, and Syracuse] of the Greeks in Sicily in the tenth generation from the Trojan war. For those who preceded him were so terrified by the piratical customs of the Tyrrheni, and the ferocity of the savages of the neighbourhood, that they did not even venture to resort thither for the purposes of commerce.

Like TYRANNOC, I looked at the Wiktionary page for Tyrrhenians.

Τυρρηνός

Ancient Greek

Etymology
From τύρρις (túrrhis, “tower”), from τύρσις (túrsis), itself of Mediterranean (pre-Indo-European) substrate origin; see Latin Etrūscus for more.

Pronunciation
IPA(key): /tyr̥.r̥ɛː.nós/ → /tyr.riˈnos/ → /ti.riˈnos/

Noun
Τυρρηνός • (Turrhēnós) m (genitive Τυρρηνοῦ); second declension
an Etruscan

Descendants
Greek: Τυρρηνός m (Tyrrinós, “Etruscan”)

Tyrannoc/tyrannos
Tyrrhenian/tyrrinos

Could ‘TYRANNOC’ on the Mên coin be a reference to these pirates in the Tyrrhenian Sea?

These Campanian Mercenaries have quite a violent history. Following the Death of Agathoclese of Syracuse, the Campanian mercenaries take over the city of Messana c. 289 BCE, massacring all the male inhabitants and assuming their wives and property for themselves. At this point they gave themselves the name Mamertini, ‘the children of Mars’. Mamer is the Oscan word equivalent to the god Mars. It also sounds like they played both the Carthaginians and the Romans to start the First Punic War. See the 15-20 minute article 'The Sons of Mars' for the very convoluted story.

On pages 116-118 of the book Eastern Cults in Moesia Inferior and Thracia (5th Century BC - 4th Century AD) (1983) by Margarita Tacheva-Hitova, there was an interesting reconstructed Latin inscription on a damaged marble slab found in Serdica, Thrace.

P[ro sal(ute)]
imp(eratoris) c[aes(aris) Traiani]
H[adriani aug(usti)]
Str[atonicus Caes(aris) vel aug(usti)]
n(ostri) [ser(vus)]
verna ………….
de s[ua pec(unia)]
Matri Deum [mag(nae) Id(aeae)]
fec(it) [cur(ante) Ty]-
ranno per M(arcum) Iu[lium Satur]-
ninum sacer[dotem]

I ran this though a machine translator but have no idea how accurate it is. I think there are some problems because, for instance, it was mentioned that the name ‘Stratonicus’ could be the name of the emperor’s slave but in the translation it seems to be a part of Augustus Caesar’s name.

For the safety of the emperor Caesar, Trajan, Hadrian, Augustus Stratonicus Caesar, or Augustus, our servant Verna ... with his own money, he made a sacred dowry of Mother God of the great Idaea, in charge of Tyranno, through Marcus Julius Saturninus

Tacheva-Hitova mentions that line 9 was reconstructed by Otto Walter to read: “fec(it) [et Atti Menoty]ranno per …”. Menotyrannus is a title or name (?), of some sort, that has been found after 'Attis' thus becoming ‘Attis Menotyrannus’. She mentions that this name appears in inscriptions on private taurobolia, with reservations, as late as the 4th century. (for many other samples in Latin inscriptions, see here). However, along with other researchers, she doubts the restoration, in this case, since there is not enough physical space on the stone slab for those words to fit. Instead:

The name of Tyrannos on line 9, suggested by [Bogdan] Filov and accepted by [Borisi] Gerov, occurs in another inscription from Serdica dated to the 2nd century (Mihailov, IGB IV, 1955) and referring to an individual from Nicaea.

This relic makes a second appearance later in the book under the short section on Mên from pages 277-279, where she reiterates her acceptance for ‘Tyrannos’ as the name of a person.

On the perseus site, there is a listing for Tyrannus.

The word τύραννος has not yet been satisfactorily explained by a Greek etymology, and Boeckh's conjecture that it was a foreign word and came to the Greeks from Lydia or Phrygia, where it is found frequently in inscriptions [eg: Menotyrannus?], is extremely probable ([August Böckh], Comment. ad C. I. G. n. 3438). The meaning the word conveyed to a Greek mind was that of a man who wielded absolute power, and a power not sanctioned by the ordinances of the state in which it was exercised.

As a sidenote: It then continues on with a lengthy explanation of the meaning of Tyrannus/tyrant using Aristotle’s definition. For more on this, see the Tyrant wiki and, “The Thirty Tyrants” on p. 267 of CatHoM. Also, interestingly, the first use of coins as money came from Lydia. I haven’t read it because I don’t have access, but Percy Ure believes this could be the origin of tyrants. (The Origin of the Tyrannis, 1906) But this is not the direction of this post.

Coming back to the inscription with ‘Tyrannus’ as an actual name, I’m not sure about that. The inscription could be used like that found on the Mên ‘TYRANNOC’ coin, perhaps as a shortened version of Menotyrannus. Then again, it could be referring to an individual person (a donor who didn’t want to be named?) in or of 2nd century AD Nicaea, at least in this case. Who could that be? I had a brief look but didn’t get into it deeply.

I'm not well read, but I’ve never seen a person with the name ‘Tyrannus’; that is until I ran into a little story about Paul living in Ephesus and, apparently, attending the Jewish synagogue there. (NIV- Acts 19:8-9)

(8) Paul entered the synagogue and spoke boldly there for three months, arguing persuasively about the kingdom of God. (9) But some of them became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way. So Paul left them. He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus. (10) This went on for two years, so that all the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the word of the Lord.

In The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (1962) under ‘Tyrannus, Hall of’, it says:

The place at Ephesus where Paul preached daily for two years. When Paul first reached Ephesus for a settled period of preaching, he worked in the synagogue for three months. At the end of that time the opposition to him had grown so strong that he withdrew, taking with him the disciples he had won during the three-month period. He continued his preaching in the Hall of Tyrannus.

… The place could hardly have been a public building provided for the use of lectures; since it is connected with an individual, Tyrannus, and since Paul was not disturbed in his daily preaching for two years, it is quite unlikely that the meeting place was a public forum or building. The fact that “all the residents of Asia heard the word of the Lord” suggests that the place was not a private residence but a well-situated hall which could house a well-attended preaching service.

Nothing definite is known about this Tyrannus. The name, as ancient inscriptions show, was common. If the place where Paul preached was a public building, Tyrannus was most likely the donor. If it was a private residence, Tyrannus was, no doubt, the owner. If, as is probable, it was a privately owned hall for lectures, he could have been the owner, or the lecturer whose name had become attached to the hall, or both.

I'm just going to propose this. Earlier I had reported that when a temple of Mên was founded, it took on the name of the founder. So, could this be the temple of ‘Mên Tyrannus’ at Ephesus? I still don’t think it’s some guy’s name, though. There are many inscriptions from several different places where the 'term' is used as a title/description for the deity. I’m also not aware of a Mên temple (named or unnamed) being found here. But with the word ‘Tyrannus’ being associated with Mên, did Paul study/preach at a Mên temple at Ephesus? (...before he was arrested in 49 AD and sent to Rome?)

Further conjecture, there is mention of '50,000 drachmas of scrolls' being burned as well as a (confusing) riot in the Acts chapter. Could the scrolls have belonged to this temple, if it existed, which was then sacked (by Zealots?) during the riot?

The government will deploy police, drones, cameras, artificial intelligence-assisted surveillance tested in real life to keep it going after their grandiose gladiatorial show.
At the moment, the discontent is rising in "our" France. Is this another test like the "pandemic"? To see how far they can go without the people reacting? Do you think that putting Phrygian caps on all French people in these troubled times will not make more people want to see our dear president's head fall into a basket?
Or would they use this symbol to justify another hardening, because some would precisely ask for the revolution 2.0?
In short, either they are looking for trouble on purpose, or they take us for fools. I'm leaning towards both solutions, but that the goal is the first one.

Last week, I was thinking the Phrygian cap was perhaps a seafarers, or 'pirate' cap on the heads of some group of Sea Peoples like the Tyrrhenians. And maybe it was. But I think I'm going to have a hard time finding any evidence for that.

Shortly after I posted the previous idea above, another idea came to me (very clearly strangely) that was interesting. It deals with our current understanding of what a tyrant is. There are two definitions for 'tyrant', the first being neutral and the second being negative. There is no positive definition, even though there have been 'good' tyrants. Stripped down to its basic definition, a tyrant is a leader. The definitions that we have come from the Greek understanding of the word which, as mentioned, have not been satisfactorily explained. So could the pre-Greek meaning have been something like a shaman? And then I wonder if the Phrygian cap is a symbol of a shaman.

This cap actually brought up a story from my sister. Back in the early 90's, she lived in Ghana twice, both times for something like 6 months, I'm not quite sure, but they were extended stays. She would bring back clothes and other items from there for the family and one of the presents she gave me was a brimless cloth cap. It was only about 10-11" tall, and had a round base sewn in such a way that it had a square, flat top. This cap was wore by pretty much every man. Some wore them straight up, but most 'flopped' it to one side or the other. However, there were a very few who had them bent to the front. She told me that only certain men could wear the cap that way because it meant that they had 'special powers' (or something like that), sort of like a medicine man.

A little cross-pollination from the Worlds Fair of 1904

%E2%80%9CUniversal_Exposition_Commemorating_the_Louisiana_Purchase_1803%E2%80%9D_%E2%80%9COffice_of_the_President%E2%80%9D_%E2%80%9CPAX%E2%80%9D_art_-_Official_catalogue_of_exhibitors_%28IA_officialcatalogu01stlo%29_%28page_12_crop%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom