Pan's Labyrinth

mamadrama

The Living Force
Last weekend I saw Guillermo del Torro's film, "Pan's Labyrinth." What a powerful piece of storytelling. Filmed in Spanish with English subtitles and set during the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's, it explores the dangers of ideology and uses fantasy and the supernatural to confront the malevolence and violence of the "real" world.
In an interview, del Torro explains, "For me, facism is a representation of the ultimate horror and it is, in this sense, an ideal concept from which to tell a fairy tale aimed at adults... Because facism is first and foremost a form of perversion of innocence and thus of childhood. I believe fairy tales are ultimately about two things: facing the dragon or climbing back to our world inside."
Although the violence in the film is shocking and not for the squeamish, I highly recommend this film.

hkoekli said:
Another great movie. And it has a great psychopath in it.
Sufferin' Psychopath, wasn't Sergi Lopez who played Vidal outstanding?

aurora said:
Another good film about the fascist era in Spain is The tongue of the butterfly.
Thanks, I'll look for it.

I saw this a few months ago - a very powerful film. The only thing that spoiled it for me was the happy ending. If the film had ended with the young girl's death, the question whether it had all been a dream or reality would have remained. The desperate dream of a young girl faced by real horrors. I agree with del Torro that fascism is a form of the ultimate horror. The portrayal of the psychopathic captain was chilling. This was the first time I have seen CGI creatures that I found truly disturbing; the ogre with his eyes in the palms of his hands.

If you liked Pan's Labyrinth you might also like Tideland, directed by Terry Gilliam.

mamadrama said:
hkoekli said:
Yeah he was great as a bastard !
A wonderful film, quite violent, but so sad, moving and beautiful. Some people who've seen it chose to think the girl was mentally disturbed and that she invented a fairy world to cope with her difficult life. I didn't, I chose to take the whole story litterally (more comforting and keeps the magic ;)). The idea of having two parallel stories which never meet is interesting. I loved that movie.

mada85 said:
The only thing that spoiled it for me was the happy ending. If the film had ended with the young girl's death, the question whether it had all been a dream or reality would have remained
Happy ending ? You must be joking :) 'Cause well, the girl did die at the end. And precisely, the point of whether it was a dream she created or reality is very valid. Question is, did she dream, as dying, that she went back to the underworld realm, or did she really come back to life in that fairy-realm?

Prayers for Rain said:
Happy ending ? You must be joking :) 'Cause well, the girl did die at the end.
No...I'm not joking...:-) In terms of all that had gone before, it was a happy ending.

Prayers for Rain said:
Question is, did she dream, as dying, that she went back to the underworld realm, or did she really come back to life in that fairy-realm?
Or did she dream that she was in our world...

The girl was reunited with her family, the king and queen of the underworld, and the faun was revealed as her friend and servant. It was her physical body that died and her essence returned to the underworld OSIT. The idea of her reincarnating essence was offered early on in the film. The premise was that she incarnated into our world as a kind of initiation or test. I think that in this case the 'happy' ending was largely in keeping with the tone of the film.

Saccharine endings are strikingly prevalent in Hollywood films, and are often so at odds with the preceding story as to negate the whole tone of the film, a kind of deus ex machina. Take for instance the original cinema release of Blade Runner. The whole film takes place in a dark, dreary, claustrophobic, threatening environment; suddenly in the last two minutes, Deckard and Rachel are off in the countryside and the camera flies up in the air to give us a view of rolling hills, forests and open skies, completely out of keeping with the tone of the film. Another good example is the ending of Minority Report. Spielberg is a major perpetrator of artificially sweet endings; American producers seem to think that their audiences are incapable of accepting an ambiguous or open ending - by now they probably are.

I saw the movie yesterday and it was Ok.
I thought there would be more fantasy in it but I still enjoyed (erhm...it was quite grim) it.

I found interesting to compare the two psychopaths of the movie The captain Vidal and the Faun because I think they are one but on two different worlds (they both want the new born kid)

Captain Vidal is pretty violent and does not hide it and the Faun is a more subtle kind, manipulating the girl to his own purpose (although you can debate that). It's like the two faces of a psychopath to me.

mada85 said:
The girl was reunited with her family, the king and queen of the underworld, and the faun was revealed as her friend and servant. It was her physical body that died and her essence returned to the underworld OSIT. The idea of her reincarnating essence was offered early on in the film. The premise was that she incarnated into our world as a kind of initiation or test. I think that in this case the 'happy' ending was largely in keeping with the tone of the film.
Or maybe when she dies, she just go once again through her last days making the whole story up.
The loop closes itself again on her death like some inescapable fate.
I don't have the impression of a happy ending at all because the director of the movie would have just cut the scene at the "reunion" to let the doubt hanging about her experience if he wanted us to go home comforted osit.

It was clear from the first movie glimpse that the girl will die. Because you could see the nose bleeding going backwards. At that moment and later having see the psycho how he the squeezed the girls hand because she gave the wrong one on their first encounter, I wasn't so sure anymore about wanting to see the movie.

I always thought about the baby that in the end it would be a girl. But not so.

I've just now watched this movie.

Fantastic. The starkness of "walking in two Worlds" is evident.

But I have to ask: this is the second time I've seen a girl with a baby brother involved with a "being" and a labyrinth. Is this a story or myth of old that I've not come across before?

Anyone know?

Cheers.

I quite enjoyed the film also.

***PLOT SPOILER***

My interpretation is that Ofelia's fantasy world was a figment of her imagination. It was an analogy for Ofelia's internalised struggle to learn a valuable lesson -- to, simply put, think for herself.

The ending was purposely left to keep you wondering, did she survive or not? But when you consider her fantasy world as an analogy (which conveniently explains the few but nonetheless obvious plot holes) rather than a place that actually exists, you have your answer. All in all, an enjoyable and engaging film. Highly recommended.

***SPOILER END***

Prayers for rain said:
mamadrama said:
hkoekli said:
Yeah he was great as a bastard !
A wonderful film, quite violent, but so sad, moving and beautiful. Some people who've seen it chose to think the girl was mentally disturbed and that she invented a fairy world to cope with her difficult life. I didn't, I chose to take the whole story litterally (more comforting and keeps the magic ;)). The idea of having two parallel stories which never meet is interesting. I loved that movie.

mada85 said:
The only thing that spoiled it for me was the happy ending. If the film had ended with the young girl's death, the question whether it had all been a dream or reality would have remained
Happy ending ? You must be joking :) 'Cause well, the girl did die at the end. And precisely, the point of whether it was a dream she created or reality is very valid. Question is, did she dream, as dying, that she went back to the underworld realm, or did she really come back to life in that fairy-realm?
I agree with Prayers for rain on this one - it was a beautiful film with no happy ending. I can't even fathom how anyone could see that as a happy ending. I think I felt most sorry for Mercedes - more than the 'main' characters of the film - she had to live with the pain. If only the little girl had listened when Mercedes said early on, "my mother said to be wary of the Faun".
All in all, though - a really great film - at least in my own personal view.
=)

Saw it about a month ago. Great stuff. Like a breath of fresh air after glossy American movies, and like is often the case in European and other non-American films, it tapped into the real human psyche and real human emotions and real situations in a pretty good depth, osit.

*spoiler warning*

I kept getting mixed feelings about that Faun. He was very clearly manipulating that girl with the promise of being a "princess", telling her to unquestionably do as he says etc. All that proves is that the girl can obey without question, not her sense of judgement or common sense etc. And when the time came to sacrifice the baby, I was almost expecting it which I think was intended by the movie anyway due to how the Faun behaved. The fact that it was just a trick didn't really fly with me and didn't make me all warm and fuzzy about how "good" that kingdom is after all. We're still talking about a kingdom, the Faun was an obedient slave of that kingdom, and he had no troble bowing to that girl after she has gone there even tho she was still just a girl, she just had "power" because it was bestowed upon her, power for the sake of power, for the same reason that STS hierarchies exist anywhere which says a LOT about the citizens of that "wonderful world". Being an STS underground world and what that implies, it really disappointed me, how it is really just like above on earth, a small group has power over everybody, rules by inheritance, others just blindly obey and cannot take responsibility for their own existence and feel they need a "ruler", all that stuff.

The queen of that kingdom was the same actress as that girl's mother in "real life" which made it even more interesting in terms of whether it was a real or imaginary world. And yeah poor Mercedes. But all things considered I thought it was an ending that could've been much less happy, but I thought it was a "good" ending in the sense that you want to cry and smile at the same time, it had elements of relief (Mercedes got away) and sadness (girl dies, Mercedes left without her) and certain satisfaction (bad guy got what was coming to him before EVERYONE was dead) and happiness (girl did get what she wanted in the end). And to add to that smorgasbord of emotions, it leaves you with a sense of mystery and that not all is resolved or understood (the whole underworld phenomenon), but I actually liked that about the ending, it made it more mysterious and left you wondering about it after it was over. I agree that artificially happy endings that resolve ALL the threads in a movie are just unrealistic. Life usually doesn't work that way, life is often not fair or balanced, and in that sense the ending was much more happy than it could've been, all things considered, osit.

*end spoiler*

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
Being an STS underground world and what that implies, it really disappointed me, how it is really just like above on earth, a small group has power over everybody, rules by inheritance, others just blindly obey and cannot take responsibility for their own existence and feel they need a "ruler", all that stuff.
I can see where you are coming from, but I can't help but think that sacrifice was the reason she made it to the underground, to be the Princess. Her third test, which was sneaky because the Faun was trying to trick her, was to give her own blood instead of "an innocent" - her baby brother. The Faun barks and and looks scary and all that about giving the blood of an innocent but to me that was a ruse, he was testing the purity of Olefia's soul. Why would an STS underground care about anything like that?

I didn't really see the Faun as evil at all. He helped her by giving her fairies which distracted the non-human 'thing' long enough to help her escape. She ate the forbidden fruit, which is quite the allegory in itself. The Faun was angry but this did not deter him from helping her. Would a true STS system try to help someone learn a lesson?

In the end, I liked that it left some things open for debate. On disc 2 I watched the discussion with del Torro and two other Mexican directors, and in it del Torro discusses his childhood and why he makes the fantasy movies and he talked about the things he saw. In that respect I think he makes this movie with the intent that what Ofelia is experiencing is real. I don't think she was just dreaming it up.

The ending was a good ending, since it was happy and sad. How many of those do you see in Hollywood these days? I like it when you get to make up your own mind.

beau said:
ScioAgapeOmnis said:
Being an STS underground world and what that implies, it really disappointed me, how it is really just like above on earth, a small group has power over everybody, rules by inheritance, others just blindly obey and cannot take responsibility for their own existence and feel they need a "ruler", all that stuff.
I can see where you are coming from, but I can't help but think that sacrifice was the reason she made it to the underground, to be the Princess. Her third test, which was sneaky because the Faun was trying to trick her, was to give her own blood instead of "an innocent" - her baby brother. The Faun barks and and looks scary and all that about giving the blood of an innocent but to me that was a ruse, he was testing the purity of Olefia's soul. Why would an STS underground care about anything like that?
I dunno, but maybe it's a case of wishful thinking on the writer's part to have an STO hierarchy? The fairy tale ended with something like her being a good princess/queen who ruled for hundreds of years and the people loved her. I just can't help but see an oxymoron there, in "STO ruler". And the Faun did seem to have a thing with blind obedience, and then proclaimed how mad he is that she did not obey him when she promised to obey.

Since Ofelia was just doing what he said blindly, she wasn't doing it with any understanding of the purpose or nature of what she did and why. She was driven by the desire to escape her horrible predicament in the midst of a fascist nation and world in general, to a better world, and not to mention where she was promised to be a princess, where there is no pain, etc etc! At one point she even asked him if he was telling her the truth, and he said "A nice little Faun like me wouldn't like to you, would he?" in the most STS/creepy/red flag sort of way. The Faun understood her bad predicament in life and basically said "Well if you wanna get away from this horrible place to a really nice place here is what you need to do, and you have a time limit too!".. which didn't leave much time for thinking or understanding at all, but also is manipulative knowing that she'll most likely do it because it has the promise of "relief" or "salvation" attached, which is tempting.

There seems to be a correlation here to this group in the sense that this world is going to hell and we're looking for a way out, a place where we can structure our existence differently than is possible on this world, and to help as many people as possible to come with us and build a new world based on different principles, without feeding pyramids or control. But we don't blindly follow any protocol, any set of instructions or dogmatic holy writ, no obscure "tasks" that anybody has to do without understanding and with faith that those tasks are somehow necessary. The C's talk about faith, but I think they're talking about faith in ourselves and our understanding, not in any ritualistic actions and to just believe that they're important or useful. You could say there is some faith involved in the sense of growing our magnetic center, and other things that we may not really perceive or verify, things that are mentioned in esoteric texts etc. But yet, everything that we are supposed to do in order to grow this magnetic center is common sense, so it's just a matter of semantics. Nothing is obscure, there is nothing that esoteric texts say that we should do just because they said so. So while certain changes in our being may not be instantly perceptible, what they say we need to do in order to achieve those changes is pretty much the only thing it makes any sense to do. To seek truth and remove our assumptions, to be conscious and see our mechanicalness, to learn to act impeccably and with understanding of ourselves and the world at large. Pretty straight forward, very simple to understand that this is important and why it's important and what is the result of such actions on anyone that is able to do this, it's just the execution of this that takes constant effort.

But I'm not sure about blowing up giant tree frogs with firecrackers, Bush used to do that when he was a kid, and look where he is now, he's a kind and loving ruler, adored by millions, just like the fairy tale described her to be! And it's not hard to imagine that he could actually be stupid enough to be brainwashed and to believe his own nonsense, even if he does imagine himself to have good intentions. So while she may not be like Bush, that last task where she sacrifices herself proves that she has some STO qualities, which is basically "good intentions" but it doesn't mean she isn't allowing herself to be deceived, or has any wisdom and won't end up just someone's puppet. Fairy tales have a habit of making kings and queens seem really nice and loving. But isn't that a contradiction, something that is planted into kids' minds early and they grow up to accept unquestionable authority easier, remembering their fairy tales how kings and queens, or "rulers" in general are not such a bad idea, that there can be good rulers. It makes it easy to sold on the idea that your government or "ruler" can be good, missing the whole point about what a ruler is, what a hierarchy is, and what it isn't, osit.

But that's just my take on it, it seems to be a mix of STO and STS.

Back
Top Bottom