On Popular Culture, Planning Ahead, and the Whole > Sum of its Parts

cindyj

Jedi
Lately I've been thinking through a lot of ideas, many resulting from the fine work you have done posting articles and forum discussions on your site. Thank you so much! It seemed high time I share my stream-of-consciousness thinking with you all, in case there was anything of value to somebody out there.

On the Role of Popular Culture: Children's Literature, Fairytales and Mythology to Teach about Psychopaths

It seems there have always been caring, knowledgeable people among us to warn us about the untrustworthy and compassionless among us. Often depicted as ogres, witches, and monsters, other times as cruel authority figures, still we see the same basic representation of evil in these stories (my apologies to misrepresented pagans out there!). Think of tales like "Hansel and Gretel". Or more recently, the Harry Potter series. Another good example: "A Series of Unfortunate Events" really hit it on the head, as the books became darker and darker, revealing layers of hidden conspiracies by psychopaths/OPs. Not only did they introduce psychopathic characters, but showed how and why other seemingly normal characters could themselves join "the dark side". (Ponerology in practice)

It's not a far leap from these stories to see similar happenings in our current day-to-day lives if we make the connections, even as children. My 8-year-old is more perceptive in this regard then many of my adult acquaintances, and I can see why. As adults, we tend to distance ourselves from the realities around us when we busy ourselves with daily objectives, working to make ends meet, etc. I have seen people so caught up in the work cycle, they have no time/inclination/energy left to even wonder or care about what is going on around us. It makes me wonder if that isn't the point of work to begin with? Give a guy the ability to purchase a bunch of stuff, house, car, kids, etc. and suddenly he's in over his head, so he works and works and works and buys and buys and buys ... the whole debt/wage-slave cycle most people are stuck in. The frightening thing is, there are statistics to suggest that most everybody in the U.S. is in debt-- Americans on average have a negative savings rate! And given the recent and continuing fall of house prices, we've basically created a whole slew of people who can be manipulated because of their debt. Not good!

So, what does today's Everyman do at the end of a hard work day? Watch TV? Likely. Are there any stories on television right now to remind him of the necessity to be watchful or mindful or concerned? I don't know. Perhaps some of you could answer that (I don't have a television anymore). Even so, doesn't watching shows where everything ends satisfactorily keep us from acknowledging our own potential in helping things to change in real life? If we sit back passively and let everything get done by other people, we can just cheer them on from the sidelines, right? So when/how do we reconnect with our personal accountability? I'm not sure we can get there just by consuming popular media. Maybe?

On Planning Ahead

In another forum discussion recently, the topic of "what to do" came up with regard to making future plans, where to live, etc. before "the Wave" or whatever comes. What follows are some steps I have personally taken over the last few years. They may not be possible or desirable for everybody (each of us has a personal path to follow), but they are things to consider:

1 - Get Out of Debt
2 - Learn about Permaculture
3 - Live Among Others Similarly Concerned/Kindred Spirits
4 - Be Prepared to Offer Skills, Services

To protect my family, I also chose to leave the States. I have no idea if this will ultimately make a difference, but I feel more sane living in Canada right now. In the off-chance we survive whatever happens, we will need to share our skills to help each other. The Permaculture Principle of Cooperation states: "Cooperation, not competition, is the very basis of existing life systems and of future survival."

The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts

When I think of cooperation, I think of energy exchange. A visual example I can always recall is one having to do with ducks swimming in a cold pond during winter. Have you ever noticed how water birds often swim together forming circles? I am not a biologist, but my guess is they do this to keep each other warm. By swimming in a circle they follow a path they each make in the warmth of their respective bodies. I don't know if this is true, but it seems this exchange of energy benefits all of them. There are so many examples of this kind of exchange happening in nature. We too, mutually benefit when we exchange labor, for instance. "I'll help you build your house, if you come and help me build mine." Sure, I could use all of my time and resources to build my own house, but if I help my neighbor and he helps me, we benefit from each other's knowledge and skills, we keep each other motivated, we have each other's companionship, etc. Much more is exchanged of value than the actual building activity itself. And this exchange will benefit both for those 94% that are not psychopaths.

Here is what Bill Mollison (co-creator of the Permaculture movement) had to say about the circumstances leading him to formulate his ideas and actions, which really resonated with me:

".. Until I was about 28, I lived in a sort of dream. I spent most of my time in the bush or on the sea. I fished, I hunted for my living. It wasn't until the 1950s that I noticed large parts of the system in which I lived were disappearing. Fish stocks started to collapse. Seaweed around the shorelines had thinned out. Large patches of the forest began to die. I hadn't realised until then that I had become very fond of them, that I was in love with my country.

"After many years as a scientist with the CSIRO Wildlife Survey Section and with the Tasmanian Inland Fisheries Department, I began to protest against the political and industrial systems I saw were killing us and the world around us. But I soon decided that it was no good persisting with opposition that in the end achieved nothing. I withdrew from society for two years; I did not want to oppose anything ever again and waste my time. I wanted to come back only with something very positive, something that would allow us all to exist without the wholesale collapse of biological systems..."

(from the Preface of "Introduction to Permaculture" by Bill Mollison with Reny Mia Slay, Tagari Publications)

I absolutely believe in the necessity of the work being done by activists such as Cindy Sheehan, Rachel Corrie, and many others, because they have truly raised general awareness of injustice and tyranny. But for those of us not on the front lines, we all have our part to play, even if we just start by communicating concern and care for those around us. Children completely flip out if you tell them things are really bad out there; adults are not much different. So it might be best to just be ready when questions get asked; have knowledge to fall back upon; be able to step up to do what is necessary. Prepare to become a hero, if you dare.

cindyj said:
To protect my family, I also chose to leave the States. I have no idea if this will ultimately make a difference, but I feel more sane living in Canada right now....
Glad to hear you made it "out". Welcome to our country. I like it here too.

I would go mad if I lived in the U.S. About 15 years ago I was forced to live in the U.S. for a period of about 3 months (for a job-related reason), and was so relieved to return home. The American-centric view that permeated everything was stifling. I told friends that I felt like I was living in a totalitarian country with no contact with the "outside" world. I can't imagine what it must be like now....

cindyj said:
I absolutely believe in the necessity of the work being done by activists such as Cindy Sheehan, Rachel Corrie, and many others, because they have truly raised general awareness of injustice and tyranny. But for those of us not on the front lines, we all have our part to play, even if we just start by communicating concern and care for those around us. Children completely flip out if you tell them things are really bad out there; adults are not much different. So it might be best to just be ready when questions get asked; have knowledge to fall back upon; be able to step up to do what is necessary. Prepare to become a hero, if you dare.
hi cindyj, welcome to the forum. I have to say I agree with your comments here - it is up to us all to act, just to do what the situation asks, because we are *there*, it is not just about doing the Cindy Sheehan thing, but as you say, seeing how we can apply what we believe and know, appropriately into our everyday lives.

If we think about things on 'too grand a scale' we can kind of supply ourselves with an 'easy way out', a reason to do nothing, because it is all 'so much bigger than we are'. Yet, in reality, there is always *something* we can do that is within our abilities, to stand up for the values we believe in and act accordingly within our own sphere of influence. (hence the fundraiser on SOTT, hint, hint, people ;) )

Hello Cindy and welcome to the forum,

I've recently been reading up on permaculture as well, which I find to be quite fascinating. It makes so much sense, it's pretty incredible to see the amount of useful things that can be done around the house, no matter if one lives in the city or on a country farm. It's so easy to be wasteful, and potentially easy to use resources efficiently!

I was inspired to research this indirectly by some articles written by Dmitri Orlov at _http://survivingpeakoil.com
Please ignore the whole peak oil rant of the site. His observations on how people got through the crisis in the former Soviet Union came down to three concepts: networking, cooperation, and knowledge. Something I think we'd all agree about. I've found it to help keep my perspective while here in the states (which could be for the rest of my life here, who knows). As ScioAgapeOmnis has in her profile (C's), it's "who you are and what you see"!

Believe it or not, being in the U.S. is way better now than it was in 2002. People are still REALLY passive, but a lot of the illusion has been punctured. In 2002, there was a lot of public support for fascism, now there is none. Of course that could change very quickly and the rulers have not run out of tricks or power, but the hysteria (in Lobaczewski's sense of the word from Political Ponerology) has been vastly reduced.

I would still leave, if I could, though.

QueenVee said:
I would go mad if I lived in the U.S. About 15 years ago I was forced to live in the U.S. for a period of about 3 months (for a job-related reason), and was so relieved to return home. The American-centric view that permeated everything was stifling. I told friends that I felt like I was living in a totalitarian country with no contact with the "outside" world. I can't imagine what it must be like now....

That's rather strange, I was reading up on permaculture just yesterday.

The cycle fo pemaculture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

Modern permaculture is a system design tool. It is a way of

* 1. looking at a whole system or problem
* 2. seeing connections between key elements (parts)
* 3. observing how the parts relate,
* 4. planning to mend sick systems by applying ideas learnt from long-term sustainable working systems.

Seems very similar to the business continuous improvemnt model.

Thanks, each of you for your thoughtful comments and your sharing. It is truly amazing how helpful networking can be. I am very happy to be here in BC, learning about this place's history, local flora and fauna and people. It has been challenging to "go south" on visits to loved ones, because I continue to grieve a bit for my country. Like you Johnno, I am also trying to pay attention to the many synchronicities that seem to be "hints". I am so grateful to Laura, Ark and the SOTT team for providing this forum. Together, we are strong! And yes, this is absolutely a worthy cause to contribute to. Any chance of there being a Canadian address for mailing donations?

cindyj said:
Any chance of there being a Canadian address for mailing donations?
Donations in U.S. Dollars should be mailed to

QFG, Inc.
PO Box 4322
Boulder CO 80306
USA

Back
Top Bottom