NSA Leaks, Edward Snowden: Genuine whistleblower or psy-op?

Re: Prism - Or do you really want to keep your Google Mail and Facebook

'Snowden' movie trailer released

‘Snowden’ is Oscar-winning Stone’s telling of the NSA whistleblower’s life, from his childhood to his current situation. It stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Snowden and Shailene Woodley as his long term girlfriend Lindsay Mills.

The trailer begins with scenes from Snowden’s time in Army Reserve training and offers insight into his journey into the National Security Agency (NSA), where he managed to collect files on the bulk spying program that the NSA and its overseas counterparts carried out on ordinary citizens.

The trailer shows journalists Glenn Greenwald (Zachary Quinto), Laura Poitras (Melissa Leo) and Ewen MacAskill (Tom Wilkinson) meeting the former intelligence contractor in Hong Kong, and finishes with high-tension scenes from when the whistleblower’s identity was first revealed.

The film, which was delayed for almost an entire year, will hit theaters on September 16.

'Snowden' is based on The Snowden Files by Luke Harding and Time of the Octopus by Snowden’s lawyer Anatoly Kucherena. Stone ‒ father of Sean Stone, co-host of RT America’s ‘Watching the Hawks’ ‒ wrote the screenplay along with Kieran Fitzgerald.

Starring Edward Snowden as... Emmanuel Goldstein!

Luke Harding, by the way, is a Guardian reporter, former Moscow correspondent, rabidly anti-Putin, and very probably British intelligence.

Re: Prism - Or do you really want to keep your Google Mail and Facebook

Niall said:
Luke Harding, by the way, is a Guardian reporter, former Moscow correspondent, rabidly anti-Putin, and very probably British intelligence.

The name Luke Harding stood out recently for his part in the Guardian's coverage of the Panama Papers. Very heavily laden with anti Putin propaganda. Unreadable nonsense.

So the September release will be double 'booster shot' ahead of the US elections, it'll affect (differently) both authoritarian followers and political dissenters. Both effects would serve the aim though. The sign off on the trailer says it all: "they're gonna come for me, they're gonna come for you too".

Glenn Greenwald's latest for The Intercept is an 'I told ya so' regarding the recent Oxford study findings on the 'chilling effect' that mass surveillance has on people's behavior:

https://www.sott.net/article/317523-Mass-surveillance-breeds-meekness-fear-and-self-censorship-Oxford-study

Problem is, that's not quite what the researchers found; what they found was that MASS AWARENESS of a mass surveillance architecture produced a 'chilling effect' - specifically, in this case, on research into the reality behind the revolting fantasy that is the 'Endless Global War on Terror'.

In other words, when the 'NSA Leaks scandal' broke, thanks to Snowden, Greenwald, Scahill et al, people reacted as predicted by said 'chilling effect': they dropped, to a significant degree, their inquiries into false-flag terrorism, NATO/Western intelligence support of terrorists, etc.

The general public only became aware of said mass surveillance, aka illegal state spying, when Greenwald and his buddies were roped into that 'NSA Leaks' stunt in 2013. And indeed, that was when the chilling effect took hold.

Hi everyone, I recently saw a video from AMTV on YouTube describing Snowden as a "limited hangout", I thought it brought up good questions, whether he is still a CIA asset or a genuine whistleblower and if he really told us anything new we didn't know about.

RecklessAllegory said:
Hi everyone, I recently saw a video from AMTV on YouTube describing Snowden as a "limited hangout", I thought it brought up good questions, whether he is still a CIA asset or a genuine whistleblower and if he really told us anything new we didn't know about.

Yep, that assessment sounds about right. Do you have a link to it?

There are 2 videos, Christopher Green from AMTV does bring about good points on whether he is a limited hangout/ controlled opposition or whistleblower. https://youtu.be/DawLf8AEj44
https://youtu.be/uCtoDnciWQI

[quote author= Niall][quote author= RecklessAllegory]Hi everyone, I recently saw a video from AMTV on YouTube describing Snowden as a "limited hangout", I thought it brought up good questions, whether he is still a CIA asset or a genuine whistleblower and if he really told us anything new we didn't know about.[/quote]

Yep, that assessment sounds about right. Do you have a link to it?[/quote]

Putin is hinting at the same:

Putin trolls CIA on Edward Snowden

https://youtu.be/o4SZ49_bS0Y

When it comes to Mr/ Snowden, as I’ve talked about before, we have no direct involvement in this issue.

He ended up on our territory, based on what I see is the unprofessionalism of the CIA who tried to catch him.

I’m ex-KGB too, you know?

Why did they scare the whole world around this issue?

If they can forecefully ground an airplane with a president onboard, then surely they can ground an airplane with Mr Snowden onboard anywhere in the world.

But they scaremongered all countries about Mr Snowden, he arrived into our transit zone, and it turns out that nobody is willing to accept him…

Do you see the situation? If the CIA didn’t scaremonger other countries, Snowden would have flown away, they could have grounded the aircraft and he would now be rotting in a zindan (Central Asian dark room / prison)

But instead they notified everybody about him, and he remained in our transit zone. And what are we supposed to do ?

Russia is not the kind of country that expels fighters for human rights…

Thank you for your reaction, but jokes aside…. This is the truth, it’s not irony. Mr Snowden defines himself as a fighter for human rights.

This is what he has chosen for his life.

I don’t even know how he will continue- he’s only a young guy, right?

Jokes aside, how will he continue to live his life?

He’s in Russia for the time being, but then what?

But he chose this destiny himself. All we did was allow him asylum.

He’s no agent of ours, he hasn’t told us any secrets…

Actually, he really should tell us some secrets, that bandit, we gave him asylum! But he doesn’t talk!

He transmits only through some channels, known only to himself, And that’s it.

bjorn said:
[quote author= Niall][quote author= RecklessAllegory]Hi everyone, I recently saw a video from AMTV on YouTube describing Snowden as a "limited hangout", I thought it brought up good questions, whether he is still a CIA asset or a genuine whistleblower and if he really told us anything new we didn't know about.

Yep, that assessment sounds about right. Do you have a link to it?[/quote]

Putin is hinting at the same:[...][/quote]

Gotta love that Putin witticism; "I’m ex-KGB too, you know?" :D

He’s no agent of ours, he hasn’t told us any secrets…

Actually, he really should tell us some secrets, that bandit, we gave him asylum! But he doesn’t talk!

He transmits only through some channels, known only to himself, And that’s it.
:lol:

Thanks bjorn, think I needed that light side tonight.

There is some weirdness from Snowden on twitter sparking online theories.

_http://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-issued-a-cryptic-warning-on-twitter-2016-8

From his twitter:

"Did you work with me? Have we talked since 2013? Please recontact me securely, or talk to @bartongellman. It's time. _https://t.co/AKmgF5AIDJ

— Edward Snowden (@Snowden) August 3, 2016"

Then some days later, another, even more cryptic tweet occurs:

_http://www.unilad.co.uk/viral/edward-snowdens-lawyers-respond-after-mysterious-tweet-sparks-death-rumours/

From his twitter

"ffdae96f8dd292374a966ec8b57d9cc680ce1d23cb7072c522efe32a1a7e34b0

— Edward Snowden (@Snowden) August 5, 2016"

This was eventually deleted from twitter.

It's hard to say if this has any meaning aside from spinning media content for the sake of brand relevance.

[quote author= Niall]Glenn Greenwald's latest for The Intercept is an 'I told ya so' regarding the recent Oxford study findings on the 'chilling effect' that mass surveillance has on people's behavior:

https://www.sott.net/article/317523-Mass-surveillance-breeds-meekness-fear-and-self-censorship-Oxford-study

Problem is, that's not quite what the researchers found; what they found was that MASS AWARENESS of a mass surveillance architecture produced a 'chilling effect' - specifically, in this case, on research into the reality behind the revolting fantasy that is the 'Endless Global War on Terror'.

In other words, when the 'NSA Leaks scandal' broke, thanks to Snowden, Greenwald, Scahill et al, people reacted as predicted by said 'chilling effect': they dropped, to a significant degree, their inquiries into false-flag terrorism, NATO/Western intelligence support of terrorists, etc.

The general public only became aware of said mass surveillance, aka illegal state spying, when Greenwald and his buddies were roped into that 'NSA Leaks' stunt in 2013. And indeed, that was when the chilling effect took hold.[/quote]

This former MI5 agent agrees :

‘UK officials patrolling the Internet, on road to creating ‘thought police’’
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/356022-uk-officials-patrolling-internet/

We have activists who have been detained for saying that they would like to do something – not the fact that they had done something – and this is a worrying trend, Annie Machon, former MI5 agent, told RT.

Scotland Yard is creating a special unit designed to counter online harassment in the UK. The program will cost almost 2 million pounds, with five detectives and an army of volunteers, hunting down Internet trolls.

RT: Almost two million pounds will be poured into policing the web. Could this money be better spent elsewhere?

Annie Machon: Of course this money can be better spent on elsewhere. Britain has a very long and noble - or ignoble - tradition of political satire, freedom of expression. People are just mopping up the politicians, the political classes and debating about all sorts of political ideas, social ideas, whatever, and that leads to a healthy democracy. There has been concern already around the fact that the intelligence agencies are conducting mass surveillance. That has put a chilling effect on the concept of this freedom of expression, this free speech. People are beginning to think: ‘Well, should I express myself as I would wish to over the internet?’ However, for it not to be overtly a police issue, rather than an intelligence issue trying to track terrorists, policing people for their freedom of expression, for their political satire, for their banter, whatever, seems to be another dangerous step… towards totalitarianism. Once people lose the feeling that they can freely express themselves, they stop freely express themselves politically and democracy is dead.

RT:This web squad comes amid the recent wave of attacks in Europe, people don’t feel safe on the streets. Should all the efforts be directed at policing the streets?

AM: I think efforts should be directed at trying to target people who want to cause harm on the streets, particularly with these so-called lone-wolf attacks that have been going on across Europe. I’ve been saying for years now that rather than mass surveillance, which drowns out the targeted information we need to preemptively stop these types of attacks - in fact, what are intelligent agencies as well as police services should be doing is doing targeted surveillance using an array of different types of investigative techniques, not just electronic surveillance, but human information, mobile surveillance, that sort of thing. That way you can hopefully have a chance of trying to stop these types of attacks. By policing people on the internet you’re just going to lose all the nuggets of solid information in the tsunami of intelligence coming in.

RT: The metropolitan police commissioner has recently warned that a terror attack in the UK is a matter of when, not if. What should be done to prevent attacks?

AM: I think it could well do. If people feel that they are being surveyed on Twitter, or Skype, or Facebook, or whatever, then people start to inhibit what they say, how they interact with other people. We have a sort of extended consciousness almost on the internet. We live our lives mainly online to a certain extent these days. So if we feel we can’t freely express and communicate, watch and read online then we lose that particular freedom. That is dangerous for democracy.

With this new initiative with the Metropolitan Police trying to police trolls on the internet, and what is being called ‘thought crime’ we’ve already seen this in the UK. Back in 2011, when the Royal Wedding happened between Prince William and Kate Middleton, people were preemptively arrested and held in custody for 24 hours purely for having said on Facebook that they wanted to go and demonstrate the wedding, because they disagreed with the whole concept of royalty, they were Republicans, or whatever. So we had one university professor preemptively arrested and held in prison for 24 hours. We have other activists – same thing happened to them purely for them saying that they would like to do something – not the fact that they had done something, or they were going to do something. And that is thought crime pure and simple. So to see this now enshrined with a very expensive unit within the Metropolitan Police is the next step and it is very worrying next step.

Hm, there are rumors (quite a long article there) on VT about some FSB/Russian government report on Barbie spy (aka Snow den) of him being a CIA asset:

The Snowden web of lies is rapidly unravelling, and we see the US regime already planting media about a ‘deal’ to ‘bring Snowden home’ to his fellow CIA agents, and the US may desperately accelerate these efforts as this report is published.

_http://www.veteranstoday.com/2016/09/21/russia-govt-report-snowden-greenwald-are-cia-frauds/

Curious angle :knitting:

:bye:

Yozilla said:
Hm, there are rumors (quite a long article there) on VT about some FSB/Russian government report on Barbie spy (aka Snow den) of him being a CIA asset:

The Snowden web of lies is rapidly unravelling, and we see the US regime already planting media about a ‘deal’ to ‘bring Snowden home’ to his fellow CIA agents, and the US may desperately accelerate these efforts as this report is published.

_http://www.veteranstoday.com/2016/09/21/russia-govt-report-snowden-greenwald-are-cia-frauds/

Curious angle

VT did it again.

VT said:
Below is part one of a report at the Moscow offices of Russia’s SVR and FSB intelligence / security agencies, on the ongoing fraud of CIA agent Edward Snowden and his CIA-tied media such as Glenn Greenwald, UK Guardian, NY Times etc

This report at the government of the Russian Federation, references several other documents relevant for understanding and evidencing the CIA fraud of ‘Snowden’ – links to these documents are as follows:

Seriously? Most of that stuff, if not all, is available on the Internet and is based on one (crazy?) man's writings. He supposedly sent more or less the same to numerous authorities/institutions - Jewish and Europeans, so he might have it 'sent' to FSB/SVR, too. You may want to search for his name yourself: Dr Les (Leszek - Leslie) Sachs. With this kind of intelligence Russia would most likely have ceased to exist long ago.

At least that's how I see it ATM.

EUROPEAN leaders were today urged to grant immediate asylum to US whistleblower Edward Snowden by a group of influential MEPs who said the election of Donald Trump has placed his safety at risk.

Is Edward Snowden set to be given asylum by Europe? MEPs push EU to take in whistleblower
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/769736/Edward-Snowden-MEPs-EU-leaders-grant-whistleblower-asylum-Europe-Trump

Mon, Feb 20, 2017 - Representatives from the European Parliament said the former NSA analyst had fulfilled a vital democratic role by leaking a series of hugely damaging intelligence documents and that he needed protection.

His disclosures in 2013 revealed for the first time the extent to which government agencies across the globe were spying on ordinary citizens and sparked a furious backlash.

Mr Snowden is currently living in exile in Russia but European politicians fear that the Mr Trump’s cosy relationship with Vladimir Putin could put him in grave danger.

But their call for him to be granted asylum within the EU will surely enrage the White House administration and comes at a tricky time for relations between Brussels and Washington.

The Republican has previously called the whistleblower a “terrible traitor” and called for his immediate incarceration, pointing out that in times gone by he would have been executed for his actions.

In July last year, before his shock election victory, the billionaire tycoon said: “I think he's a total traitor and I would deal with him harshly. And if I were president, Putin would give him over."

The President’s pick for Director of the CIA, Mike Pompeo, also described Mr Snowden as a traitor in a statement last month and called more directly for him to be put to death.

Reports have already emerged in US media that the Kremlin is considering sending the former data analyst back to the US, where he is likely to face a life sentence at the very least.

Mr Putin is apparently considering handing him over as a “gift” to the new US President to “curry favour” with his administration, although Moscow has strongly denied the claims.

Brussels parliamentarians have also previously had their say on the issue, passing a resolution back in 2015 calling on Europe to protect Mr Snowden from Barack Obama’s government, which was seeking his extradition.

It said member states should “drop any criminal charges against Edward Snowden, grant him protection and consequently prevent extradition or rendition by third parties, in recognition of his status as whistleblower and international human rights defender”.

And now four influential left-wing MEPs have penned an open letter to European leaders calling on them to come good on the pledge and offer Mr Snowden asylum within the bloc in spite of American objections.

They wrote: “On 24 January 2017, Mike Pompeo, Donald Trump’s candidate for Director of the CIA, was sworn in by the US Senate.

“In February 2016 the former congressman had called for ‘the traitor Edward Snowden’ to be executed.

“Donald Trump had expressed similar remarks in 2013, referring to Snowden as a ‘terrible threat’ and ‘terrible traitor’ and pointing out that there was a time when countries would execute those considered traitors.

“The activities of Mr Snowden have greatly helped US and European citizens to finally gain access to transparent information — a core element of democracy.

“Given the gravity of the statements emanating from the USA and the worsening political climate surrounding the Snowden case, what steps will the Council of Ministers take in order to urge its members to respond to the recommendations enshrined in Parliament’s resolution of 29 October 2015?”

The letter was signed by Italy’s Barbara Spinelli, German Jan Philipp Albrecht, Portuguese MEP Ana Gomes and the British Labour party’s Claude Moraes.

Putin's opinion on Snowden is interesting?

Former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor-turned-whistleblower Edward Snowden should have quit his job in the security service if he did not like the activities of the agency, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in an interview with US film director Oliver Stone.

Putin Says Snowden Should Have Resigned From NSA If Disliked Work at Agency
https://sputniknews.com/world/201706021054231667-snowden-resignation-nsa-putin/

The Russian president added that he believed that Showden was not a traitor as he had not betrayed the interests of the United States and had not given the information to any country that "would have been pernicious to his own country or his own people."

"If he didn’t like anything at his work he should have simply resigned. But he went further. That’s his right. But since you are asking me whether it's right or wrong, I think it’s wrong," Putin said, speaking about the whistleblower in an interview partially released by the Newsweek media outlet on Thursday.

In 2013, Snowden leaked classified documents pertaining to mass surveillance practices carried out by US authorities around the globe. Later in the year, Russia granted the former NSA contractor temporary asylum for one year. In 2014, Snowden received a three-year residence permit to live in Russia, which was later extended until 2020.

The four-part Putin's interview is expected to be aired by the US Showtime TV channel on June 12-15.

Back
Top Bottom