Novak Djokovic detained in Australia

Enjoy watching the body language in this video.

Rafa is trying to convince that he caught Covid, had fever for a couple of days (toughest ever in his Life!!!), recovered, tested NEGATIVE and decided to come to AO as that was the best time to do it.
"Rafa, tell be a nice bedtime story. Pleeeease" :lol2:

Someone commented on Nadal's last name which I think is fitting.

Nada=nothing. Means that in Spanish

Contrast Nadal with this sportsman's comments

Last edited:
If there's an athlete that has lost a good chunk of his fans and public image over all these it is Rafael Nadal. The guy is an IDIOT, of the absolute highest order. It won't be easily forgotten amongst the average person.
Well not so sure since average person is likely vaccinated. By the end of the day they are all gladiators in bread and circuses lets not forget that. Novak however qualifies as Spartacus so far.

An interesting extra aspect to the situation:

First Sports said:
As the 20-time Grand Slam champion now proceeds to get some well-deserved rest, he also raised his voice of concern amidst the growing protests in Belgrade over the mining contract given by the government to Rio Tinto company that plans to extract Lithium, which in return would be harmful to the environment and the citizens feel the government is overlooking the health for economic benefits.

Belgrade saw major highways and roads blocked by the protestors while the smaller cities also demonstrated in a similar manner against the government of President Aleksandar Vucic’s. Novak also took to his Instagram handle where he uploaded a photo of the protests and wrote in the native language voicing support for the protestors.

“Clean air, water and food are keys to one’s health. Without it, talking about ‘health’ makes no sense,” wrote Djokovic on the photo he uploaded on his Instagram stories.
1641748675545.png

Also, the Australian government has had its request denied for an additional two days preparation for the Djokovic case:

Novak won the appeal but he has been rearrested again... What is going on?

This from the BBC (I wont include their link) might explain it SOTTREADER:

Government may attempt to cancel visa again​

While the court has ruled in Djokovic's favour, government lawyer Chris Tran said Australia's immigration minister may consider cancelling Djokovic's visa again.

Under Australia's immigration law, the minister has exceptional powers and discretion to cancel visas for whatever reason. Mr Tran did not specify the grounds under which Djokovic's visa could be cancelled again.

The judge noted that if the minister made that decision, Djokovic could be banned for three years from Australia.

Again from BBC:

Rumours of Djokovic's 'arrest' are unconfirmed​

You might have seen reports that Djokovic has been detained in Melbourne - some media outlets in Serbia are reporting that Djokovic is facing arrest, following a ministerial intervention, and the player's father reportedly told some outlets that his son had been "arrested".

Djokovic's brother Djodje has also been quoted as saying: "We are getting information that the Minister of the Interior is obviously above the court."

But there has been no official news about any arrest. Paul Sakkal, a political reporter for Australian newspaper The Age, says the claims of arrest are "inaccurate", and the country's immigration minister is still deciding on whether Djokovic's visa should be re-cancelled.

9:57

'Free Novak' chants as police flank car​

Lines of police flanked the black car as it left the lawyers' offices and maneouvred through crowds on the packed Melbourne street. "Free Novak! Free Novak!" supporters chanted around the car. We still don't know for certain if the player was inside.

And there's still no word on whether the Australian government has made a final decision on re-cancelling Djokovic's visa, after the court ruled that he be freed from detention nearly four hours ago.

хттпс://ввв.фацебоок.цом/ватцх/ливе/?реф=нотиф&в=4981552945221993&нотиф_ид=1641728158104319&нотиф_т=ливе_видео_екплицит

Indeed, Djokovic won his appeal in the Federal Court this morning, and has been released from detention, but he's currently holed up in his lawyer's office in downtown Melbourne because the Australian government has threatened to ignore the ruling, deport him anyway, and add a three-year ban on him entering Australia.

Whatever happens now, the judge clarified that Djokovic was indeed the victim of a political conspiracy to entice him to come to Australia, then be detained under a false pretext...

The judge hearing Novak Djokovic’s case has queried “what more” he could have done to prove his medical exemption and criticised the Australian government for reneging on a deal to give him more time to defend his visa from cancellation.

Judge Anthony Kelly said he was “preoccupied” and “somewhat agitated” by the issue of why Australian officials did not accept an exemption document provided by the world No 1 male tennis player from a qualified physician, backed up by an independent Victorian government panel. [...]

Djokovic arrived in Australia late on Wednesday evening before his visa was cancelled at 7.29am on Thursday morning on the basis he may be a threat to health and safety because he was unvaccinated.

Djokovic’s counsel, Nicholas Wood, told the court the Serbian tennis star had done his “level best” to provide everything to substantiate his exemption that he recently had Covid-19, including uploading a medical exemption from the chief medical officer of Tennis Australia before travelling.

Kelly interrupted to comment that the status of Djokovic’s medical exemption “preoccupied” him, describing it as a “relatively significant fact” that Djokovic had obtained an exemption from “a professor and eminently qualified physician”, which was further approved by an independent expert panel established by the Victorian state government.

“That document was in the hands of the delegate [who cancelled his visa]. The point I’m somewhat agitated about is: what more could this man [Djokovic] have done?[...]

Wood said that Djokovic had been “utterly confused” when interviewed on Thursday morning, pointing to a note he received before travelling from the home affairs department that his claim for an exemption had been assessed and accepted.

Kelly noted Djokovic was “effectively incommunicado” from 4am when he was asked to switch his phone off until 7.42am when he was told of the cancellation, as the department reneged on an agreement to give him until 8.30am to consult Tennis Australia. [...]

Kelly noted that Djokovic was urged not to get in touch with his lawyers, which Wood said occurred on the “spurious rationale” it would be in his interests to complete his interview without them.

Whether it's consciously intended or not by all other parties, there is so much focus on a person who hits balls really well back-and-forth over a net repetitively and gets paid millions for doing so. It is likely to be an orchestrated distraction so I think the real questions should be focused towards the 'why' of it, rather than focusing on the 'it'.

Whether it's consciously intended or not by all other parties, there is so much focus on a person who hits balls really well back-and-forth over a net repetitively and gets paid millions for doing so. It is likely to be an orchestrated distraction so I think the real questions should be focused towards the 'why' of it, rather than focusing on the 'it'.
I think it's more what Novak represents. He's acting as a symbol - symbols are powerful. That's why I believe the situation is capturing a lot of people's attention.

Apparently Nadal just said something good today - it's a french article and here's the link :

Here's the translation of the content :

Rafael Nadal: "It's much better for our sport that Djokovic can play"

AUSTRALIA OPEN - In an interview with Spanish radio station Onda Cero on Monday, Rafael Nadal welcomed the (possibly provisional) release of Novak Djokovic. He said the decision was a victory for tennis, regardless of his personal views on vaccination against the world number one.

A few days ago, he had put Novak Djokovic face to face with his responsibilities. Without judging the merits of the medical exemption requested, Rafael Nadal felt that by choosing not to vaccinate, his Serbian rival had taken risks in relation to the health policy pursued for months by the Australian authorities. After the world number one's appeal against his expulsion from Australia was successful on Monday, the Majorcan once again spoke about the issue in an interview with Spanish radio station Onda Cero, acknowledging the court's decision and its legitimacy.

Nadal is a legalist: as he did with regard to the vaccination and the medical experts, he agreed with the judicial authorities, who are more competent than he is to decide the case by his own admission. "I think it's fine. Justice must be done in this kind of case, and I am a strong supporter of justice. It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with Djokovic on many things, the courts have spoken and decided that he can play the Australian Open. So I think that's what's fair and I wish him the best of luck in the tournament."

From a tweet of Nadal added in the middle of the article - here's the link
There are a lot of economic interests and publicity in the sports industry

While the Spaniard still believes that Djokovic has put himself at risk by not vaccinating, he is the first to admit that the administrative and legal implications are beyond him. Now it's time to focus on sport and the first Grand Slam of the year, where the two rivals will have the opportunity to add a record 21st major to their palmares.
With his Serbian rival, three-time defending champion and nine-time Melbourne champion, in the draw, Nadal knows his task will be more complicated. He didn't hesitate to joke about it. "I personally prefer Djokovic not to play," he laughed. The sports industry is like that: there are a lot of economic interests, publicity... and from that point of view, it's really better that he can play. And for our sport, it's also much better that the best ones play."

The show is on-going

Nole just called 7 minutes ago ...

I am pleased and grateful that the Judge overturned my visa cancellation. Despite all that has happened in the past week, I want to stay and to try to compete at the Australian Open. I remain focused on that. I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans. For now I cannot say more but THANK YOU for standing with me through all this and encouraging me to stay strong
🙏
❤️
🙌
💪

Захвалан сам што је Судија донео пресуду да ми се врати виза за боравак у Аустралији. Упркос свему што се дешавало у протеклој недељи,желим да останем и такмичим се на Аустралијен Опен-у. Остајем концентрисан на тенис. Путовао сам овде да би учествовао на једном од најбитнијих турнира у историји и дефитивно мом најуспешнијем. Тренутно толико могу да напишем и наравно једно огромно ХВАЛА свима широм света који су ми пружали подршку и снагу и охрабривали ме да останем присебан и јак
🙏

Back
Top Bottom