"Night Owls" more likely to exhibit psychopathology?

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Night owls more likely to have Dark Triad of personality traits
Richard Gray
The Telegraph, UK
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 01:52 CDT
Print

Research suggests people who like staying up late tend to have more evil personality traits.

Psychologists have found that people who are often described as "night owls" display more signs of narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathic tendencies than those who are "morning larks".

The scientists suggest these reason for these traits, known as the Dark Triad, being more prevalent in those who do better in the night may be linked to our evolutionary past.

They claim that the hours of darkness may have helped to conceal those who adopted a "cheaters strategy" while living in groups.

Some social animals will use the cover of darkness to steal females away from more dominant males. This behaviour was also recently spotted in rhinos in Africa.

Dr Peter Jonason, a psychologist at the University of Western Sydney, said: "It could be adaptively effective for anyone pursuing a fast life strategy like that embodied in the Dark Triad to occupy and exploit a lowlight environment where others are sleeping and have diminished cognitive functioning.

"Such features of the night may facilitate the casual sex, mate-poaching, and risk-taking the Dark Triad traits are linked to.

"In short, those high on the Dark Triad traits, like many other predators such as lions, African hunting dogs and scorpions, are creatures of the night."

Dr Jonason and his colleagues, whose research is published in the journal of Personality and Individual Differences, surveyed 263 students, asking them to complete a series of standard personality tests designed to test their score for the Dark Triad traits.

They were rated on scales for narcissism, the tendency to seek admiration and special treatment; Machiavellianism, a desire to manipulate others; and psychopathy, an inclination towards callousness and insensitivity.

To test each, they were asked to rate their agreement with statements like: "I have a natural talent for influencing people", "I could beat a lie detector" and "people suffering from incurable diseases should have the choice of being put painlessly to death".

The volunteers were also asked to complete a questionnaire about how alert they felt at different times of the day and how late they stayed up at night.

The study revealed that those with a darker personality score tended to say they functioned more effectively in the evening.

They also found that those who stayed up later tended to have a higher sense of entitlement and seemed to be more exploitative.

They could find no evidence, however, that the traits were linked to the participants gender, ruling out the possibility that the tendency to plot and act in the night time had its roots in sexual evolution.

Previous research has suggested that people who thrive at night tend also to be more intelligent.

Combined with the other darker personality traits, this could be a dangerous mix.

Notorious leaders including Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin are among those who are known to have stayed up late at night and had displayed these dark personality traits.

Other night owls such as Bill Clinton, the former US president, and Winston Churchill, the former British prime minister, have often been accused of showing less extreme elements of at least some of these traits.

However, there are some examples of night owls where these negative traits may be harder to spot.

President Barack Obama is reputed to be a night owl, as was Elvis Presley and James Joyce.

Famous morning larks include Napoleon, Ernest Hemingway and George W Bush.

Dr Jonason added: "We felt that providing evidence of such an odd relationship would better make our case that being high on the Dark Triad might be adaptive in selecting certain niches.

"I think it is too simplistic to think that people are either/or. People everywhere can exhibit these traits.

"Those who want to exploit others should have a bias towards choosing the night-time niche because the night time means fewer people are awake to detect exploitation."

Other research has shown that evening types tend to be more extrovert and creative types such as poets, artists and personalities.

Morning types were often found in roles like civil servants and accountants.

Findings from Surrey University have suggested that people's tendency to be night owls or morning larks is determined by their genes.

Professor Jim Horne, a sleep researcher at Loughborough University, said: "There are quite a lot of things associated with the time we go to bed and get up.

"People who are shorter sleepers tend to be a bit more manic about things and tend to take risks and have delusions of grandeur.

"Morning types are more rigid and less adaptable in their body clocks while evening types are better able to deal with shift work and jet lag.

"In reality, the majority of people are neither one or the other. Genes probably only account for about 10 per cent of it, but whether we are night owls or morning larks tends to change with age.

"We tend to go to bed later when we are younger. Students also tend to be more full of bravado and so this may have influenced these results.

"It would be interesting to see if morning types are more trustworthy and more upstanding citizens because these are the people who get up to go to work on time and go to church perhaps."

Very interesting.

I often told people that I'm a morning person and I usually go to sleep when it's dark or around 6pm (thereabout), they think I was crazy. This actually started after reading "Light's Out" and experimenting with sleeping in a complete darkness. Now, I cannot sleep without that darkness. But, that wouldn't make me an "upstanding citizen."

As an infant (born 6 weeks premature) my day and night cycle was reversed, and remained reversed for a long time. The doctors told my mother it would 'fix itself', but she often said she thought it happened because I was born jaundiced and they put me under a light at night and it screwed up the day-night cycle.

As an adult, second shift work remained optimal for me for a number of years, and I seldom slept more than 6 hours a night until my late 30's, when I started to learn more about sleep hygiene. Now I need far more sleep than at any other time in my life: 10-14 hours some days, which happens in naps.

That's why I'm not sure about this article?

Gimpy said:
That's why I'm not sure about this article?

That's why I put a question mark in the subject field. I'm not sure either. I do know that getting your cycles messed up is not good for your health and can make you sick and cranky, but as a sign of pathology?

On the other hand I have noted a number of individuals who were night owls who were quite pathological. And I recall that this was one of the characteristics that Procopius recorded about Justinian: that he was not only a night-owl, but that he slept very little at all.

I think it has a lot to do with messed up cycles and people getting that "second wind" as described in 'Lights out' if they stay up later than 11pm. There is also that idea of people have two sleep cycles, where they go to sleep early, get up in the middle of the night for several hours, and then go back for second sleep cycle. The theory proposed by 'scientists' in this article made be go :rolleyes: because it is typical of the kind of subjective theorizing many scientists seem to engage in these days without taking different factors into consideration. I think that the idea that people who need very little sleep is more interesting. Margaret Thatcher, for example, is reported to have only slept 4 hours per night.

The article is suggesting that those with pathological traits are more likely to be night owls, but couldn't it be the other way around - that going to bed later and later makes one more likely to exhibit those traits, even if there weren't there before? With all we've learned about how sleep-wake cycles can affect the physiology it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn it can change how empathetic one can be.

Interesting article. When I first started uni about 7 years ago, I developed the habit of staying up very late until 2-3am spending most of the time in front of my laptop. This had a big effect on my energy levels and attention span. Although I did not realise it at the time, this new sleep cycle also had a big impact on my personality. I started becoming a lot more closed, self-centered and less social and even developed what I can only describe as psycopathic traits, lack of empathy being one of them. Following the discussions on the splitting symptoms thread, I do feel like excessive internal considering has also played an important role in my change of behaviour which may have been reinforced by my lifestyle at the time, which I would add also included a very unhealthy diet and total lack of willpower. Even though I have now changed my habits quite considerably and have taken steps to work on my personality and being more externally considerate, I am still struggling with some of the above-mentioned traits.

Added: Btw, I think I may be have given the wrong impression by not expanding on the last sentence. Whilst being a night owl for a number of years definitely had an impact on my character, it was not the sole factor in developing negative personality traits.

Laura on: Today at 01:02:05 PM said:
On the other hand I have noted a number of individuals who were night owls who were quite pathological.

My grandparents fit the bill. I won't bother with my grandfather as that's a waste of energy. My grandmother though (likely BPD) starts roughly from 8am until 5am. Every. Single. Day. And she's 77 soon! The amount of times she "zones out" after eating her wheat-dairy-sugar,fruit 'n veg tap water combo is something that has to be seen to believed. It's painful to watch no matter what she's done to her kids, what's worse is the rate that she's disintegrating. These days i go to bed approximately 5pm just to begin cultivating an atmosphere ready for sleep.

Perceval on: Today at 02:45:38 PM said:
The theory proposed by 'scientists' in this article made be go :rolleyes: because it is typical of the kind of subjective theorizing many scientists seem to engage in these days without taking different factors into consideration. I think that the idea that people who need very little sleep is more interesting. Margaret Thatcher, for example, is reported to have only slept 4 hours per night.
I grew up from about age 7 hyperactive & developed chronic insomnia, the hyperactivity stopped but the insomnia stuck for 25 consecutive years & i'm only just beginning to get a handle on it. I know plenty of people who stay up late then get up around 3pm the next day, i can't tolerate that, the whole day's gone!
I'm definitely a morning person. And those scientists need better data & better tests.

dugdeep said:
The article is suggesting that those with pathological traits are more likely to be night owls, but couldn't it be the other way around - that going to bed later and later makes one more likely to exhibit those traits, even if there weren't there before? With all we've learned about how sleep-wake cycles can affect the physiology it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn it can change how empathetic one can be.

That's what i'm thinking. When i go to bed at a shocking hour i feel awful. It's like an autoimmune reaction without the accompanying burning in the muscles & joints (or "acid in the veins") but this stiffness. Sort of.
I'm pretty sure that it's because i've started to get my sleep cycle back on track for the 1st time so my body reacts big time. Another thought is that the people that associate with pathological types are likely to start to exhibit traits of same if the sleep cycle is off in this way, especially if they're under the spell of ponerization.

A while ago, Hubby and I watched an episode of 'Mythbusters', in which they took on a technique fishermen use to remain alert on long hauls. It was treated as a myth, but a few of the fishermen from the reality show 'Deadliest Catch' say they use it.

What was interesting? This technique works, but causes intense rage.

Link here: http://mythbustersresults.com/

Working a 30-hour shift with 20-minute naps every six hours results in double the performance of not getting any sleep.

confirmed

On an anchored ship, the Build Team set up a crab-fishing themed obstacle course to test their mental and physical abilities. Kari and Tory both completed the course with perfect scores when well-rested. Attempting the course after being awake 30 straight hours resulted in dramatically low scores. When they added the brief naps to their 30 hours of wakefulness, they both achieved more than double their previous scores.

If you can watch the show, you can see the rage increase every time their sleep is interrupted. Kari even stated at the end of the test that she was so angry she couldn't quite believe it herself.

This is something I've experienced during nights when I'm either having muscle spasms or can't sleep and try to nap. I can get things done, but I'm a complete monster to be around. :-[

[quote author=dugdeep] The article is suggesting that those with pathological traits are more likely to be night owls, but couldn't it be the other way around - that going to bed later and later makes one more likely to exhibit those traits, even if there weren't there before? With all we've learned about how sleep-wake cycles can affect the physiology it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn it can change how empathetic one can be.[/quote]

That's the impression I came away with as well. Perhaps embodied cognition also plays a role: your body could assume you're up to no good at those ungodly hours and then give you a Machiavellian boost to help you along.

[quote author=Perceval] I think that the idea that people who need very little sleep is more interesting. Margaret Thatcher, for example, is reported to have only slept 4 hours per night.[/quote]

I've heard similar things about the Dalai Lama as well needing very few hours.

I know ducks have half their brain go to sleep while the other half watches for predators. Maybe part of the ability to sleep less is related to one's ability to put parts of your brain into a delta state while the rest stays awake. You would probably see personality changes in people throughout the day who do that. I wonder if the same could be said of polyphasic sleep hackers?

On the other hand, people like Thatcher and Hitler may have low maintenance nervous systems to begin with, not unlike insects, reptiles, etc.

Well, I am and have been a night owl type for most of my life. One of my early memories is me reading a book at night with a flashlight under a cover. For some reason, I couldn't read during the day. In school time it was about doing not school related things that my mother didn't approve. So I'm wondering whether it's genetic or learned tendency... But I used to read at night even before, so I just don't know.

As for me exhibiting psychopathology, I'd rather leave it to others to assess. :scared:

Would be nice to have a look at the study itself. Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar with all the technical terms and scales and so on.
It is this one, I believe:
Jonason, P.K. Jones, A., & Lyons, M. (2013). Creatures of the night: Chronotype and the Dark Triad traits. Personality and Individual Differences, 55, 538-541. (Download here _http://peterjonason.com/uploads/Chronotype.pdf)

Abstract
In this study (N = 263) we provide a basic test of a niche-specialization hypothesis of the Dark Triad (i.e.,
narcissism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism). We propose that in order to best enact a ‘‘cheater strategy’’
those high on the Dark Triad traits should have optimal cognitive performance and, thus, have a
night-time chronotype. Such a disposition will take advantage of the low light, the limited monitoring,
and the lessened cognitive processing of morning-type people. The Dark Triad composite was correlated
with an eveningness disposition. This link worked through links with the ‘‘darker’’ aspects of the Dark
Triad (i.e., Machiavellianism, secondary psychopathy, and exploitive narcissism); correlations that were
invariant across the sexes. While we replicated sex differences in the Dark Triad, we failed to replicate sex
differences in chronotype, suggesting eveningness may not be a sexually selected trait as some have
argued but is a trait under natural selective pressures to enable effective exploitations of conspecifics
by both sexes.

Results
This study had a number of limitations. First, we only used one
measure of morningness–eveningness. We have used this one
measure as we saw it as the ‘‘gold-standard’’ having been used
numerous times (e.g., Adan et al., 2010; Russo et al., 2012), however,
other measures exist (see Randler, 2007; Vollmer & Randler,
2012) and warrant attention. Second, our correlations were rather
small in comparison to other work on the Dark Triad (e.g., Jonason
et al., 2009, 2013). However, similarly low correlations have been
reported in most studies assessing the relationship between personality
traits and chronotype (Randler, 2008; Russo et al., 2012;
Tsaousis, 2010). Third, we sampled a predominantly college-student
sample. Although our effects were robust to differences in
sample-type, it is possible that the links between the Dark Triad
traits and night-time preferences may be strongest in college-students
because of the freedom afforded to stay up late and lessened
need to work relative to adults. Future research should address
these limitations, but, given our results are (1) consistent with
our predictions and (2) the predictions are based on the a priori logic
provided by evolutionary psychology—life history theory in
particular—we feel confident in our results.

L said:
However, there are some examples of night owls where these negative traits may be harder to spot.

Interesting phrasing if I read it right. Like suggesting that because they've already made up their minds, it's a spotting problem, not that the traits may not exist?

whitecoast said:
[quote author=Perceval] I think that the idea that people who need very little sleep is more interesting. Margaret Thatcher, for example, is reported to have only slept 4 hours per night.

I've heard similar things about the Dalai Lama as well needing very few hours.
[/quote]

Mircea Eliade is another example.

Since I'm not equipped to assess the study, I looked at some other Dr. Jonason's studies and articles instead to get an idea of what kind of scientist he is. He seems to be one of those who talk about psychopathy (actually about the Dark Triad) in an evolutionary adaptive context and although he didn't say it explicitly, I got an uneasy feeling of someone who is normalizing those traits at best.

A few quotes from articles linked by him on his website:
_http://peterjonason.com/Media.html

Long-term love
Can we, should we, ever hope that a relationship with a Dark Triad partner can be successful in the long term? ‘Even Dark Triad types reach tipping points in their lives, and if that’s when they get together with their partner and their partner is very tolerant, it might just work,’ speculates Jonason. But most psychologists agree that the costs of holding together such a relationship can be high for women, to the point where they have to subjugate themselves. ‘It means constantly feeding the man’s ego,’ says Jonason. ‘Because these types get bored easily, you need to work hard at keeping things fresh, and to be creative about making things different. The illusion women sell to themselves is that they want a bad boy – bad to everyone else but her. But it’s like expecting a lion not to eat you.’

James Bond is the perfect example. Jonason says. "He's clearly disagreeable, very extroverted and likes trying new things new women, killing people." Even if he's not physically dangerous but more of a charming, fun-loving rogue, a dark-triad type can be so in love with his own social power that he will use and manipulate a lover for his own gain. Is he aware of the consequences of his actions? Probably not, Jonason says. "Having concern doesn't work out for them. They have a whole tool box of things that will help them be successful and empathy is not in that tool box." It's not all bad, Jonason adds. These super powers of manipulation can help them get out of a speeding ticket or get a job they want, for example. "It's about success. Everyone has some undesirable traits but we learn how to use them."

Publications:
_http://peterjonason.com/Publications.html

And going personal... :-[
I am a Lecturer in Evolutionary Psychology at UWS. I am finding it hard to meet people on my intellectual level and feel that it has mostly to do with the fact that the people I meet either explicitly or implicitly believe in magic.
_http://www.meetup.com/sydneyatheists/members/48823602/

fwiw...

My problem with this study is that it is awfully simplistic.

There is no distinction made between long sleepers and short sleepers. Napoleon was a short-sleeper and so of course he did not go to bed early. He went to bed late and got up early. Does this make him a night owl or a short sleeper?

My stepdad was a short sleeper (to bed late and up early) and he was not pathological - he was known by everyone as generous of spirit (giving of time and resources when needed) and always ready to be helpful (even making housecalls for patients who could not make it in to the clinic) - without strings attached.

Myself, I am a long-sleeper (8-10 hours/night) and a night owl. I got to bed late and get up late. Several years in the military did not change this (I tended to stay up late and make up for lost sleep on the weekends). My energy levels always seemed better when I worked the 3pm-11pm shift. Am I pathological? Perhaps I should let others decide that, but although I do have numerous programs, I don't think I am pathological (I do experience empathy and compassion for others and my conscience bothers me when I violate those values).

I am not sure I put much stock in this study.

I love night. And I used to be a night owl, loved to read during night. But one day Laura, via Facebook, advised me to try to stop and sleep during night. I follow her advise and read about how important it is to sleep during night. I feel better since. :)

I know a girl that is a night owl and she is very sick, suffers depression, anguish and panic attacks and I am sure that in part it is because she sleeps during day. I am not sure that to be a night owl makes a psychopath of you. I think some bodies feel better during night, for many reasons. Others feel better during day. Night is special. I was listening an interview about a woman who works in a hospital during night. She told that she does not like to work with people, so working on night schedules is perfect for her. Night is another world, almost another dimension....

Perceval said:
I think that the idea that people who need very little sleep is more interesting. Margaret Thatcher, for example, is reported to have only slept 4 hours per night.

I find that interesting as well. I don't know if it was in Women who Love Psychopaths but there was a mention of these pathological types trying to keep their prey up late or keep them from getting enough rest so they could better control them. The pathologicals themselves don't seem to be worried or feel much of an effect from lack of sleep. I had an ex-boyfriend who, when we were first dating, tried to get me to stay out at all hours. Another thing I noticed about these types is that they don't seem to be bothered by working extra long hours or taking on more shifts at work. It's as if there is nothing in their personal lives or physical makeups which would be inconvenienced by working so much.

Collected some more materials on this topic:

_http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1549823/Gene-explains-why-people-are-night-owls.html
_http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9951649/Night-owls-are-wealthier-and-wiser-than-larks-study-finds.html
_http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/if-you-want-to-get-ahead-be-a-night-owl-8547115.html

The study at hand is indeed rather simplistic and covered only 263 participants of a fairly narrow sample (college students) of the population, so I wouldn't accept its findings to be worth much -- only an indication for further research at best.

As for myself, I have been both a night owl and a morning lark in different stages of my life, due to circumstances and work needs and so on. I consider myself to be more of a night owl by nature than anything else, but from experience I know I can do both for prolonged periods of time with very little side effects, if any.
I'm a moderate sleeper (5-7 hours) under all circumstances, provided complete or nearly complete darkness is available.

Any grumpiness seems to be a typical symptom of the adjustment phase when switching from one type of daily schedule to another (or back again). I even experience this twice a year when switching to summertime and back, and that's a shift of only one hour to metabolize. So there's certainly more to this in terms of overall functioning of the machine than this study allows for, as has already been mentioned by others with whom I agree.

My mother was a typical in-between person but my father and my paternal grandfather were outspoken morning larks for all their lives, and I am not, so it seems not to be a hereditary thing as far as I'm concerned, although genes seem to be an influence of sorts according to one article above.

Back
Top Bottom