New Objective:Health Episode: The Hidden Dangers of Oxalates in Your Food‌ - Interview With Sally K. Norton

Usually, my oxalates are coming mostly from tea. I would sometimes double the teabags and even drink two cups. And on weekends I drink a cup around lunch. This adds up with the doubled tea bags. Also I put stevia in the cup. Liquid is low in oxalates, but powdered stevia is high. I recently bought some coconut butter cups made with dark chocolate. But doing some math it seems that two cups have 13mg of oxalates, so not too bad for chocolate.

I take a multi B vitamin so I'm guessing my B1 and B6 are ok. I take magnesium citrate before bed, so probably not neutralizing anything by then. I almost always take enzymes with meals, so my fat digestion should be good. I also take a probiotic. Once I get through this chocolate and then limit my tea, I should be back to low oxalates.

Butter has 48mg of calcium per 100g. But I usually eat around 60g of butter, so 28.8 mg of calcium. Not sure if all of that will bind to the oxalates. I have some calcium tablets that are 250mg each, but I stopped taking them because I tend to form calcium deposits.

I stopped taking glycine with my tea. I was taking it because I take a drop of Iodine twice a day 5 days a week. I think I might add it back though. Also wondering how much Vitamin C is too much, because that can make you produce oxalates? I take 3 or 4 grams around 2 hours after taking Iodine.

Just writing down my notes taken after re-listening to two of those podcasts on oxalates recently.
Thus is what Gaby has to say about Vitamin C

I stopped taking glycine with my tea. I was taking it because I take a drop of Iodine twice a day 5 days a week. I think I might add it back though. Also wondering how much Vitamin C is too much, because that can make you produce oxalates? I take 3 or 4 grams around 2 hours after taking Iodine.

Just writing down my notes taken after re-listening to two of those podcasts on oxalates recently.
This stuff is highly individual. As you know, there are no set-rules or absolutes with peoples health.

I personally take 3-4g of vitamin C everyday, and that seems to be ESSENTIAL for my gut health. Other people also benefit greatly from taking anywhere from 1-4 grams aswell.

However, I have multiple clients who I work with who can't take vitamin C in that dose, and those are the ones with established oxalate problems. Vitamin C intolerance is a very real thing for them, and their limit seems to be approximately 500mg per day. Anything more, and they will enter some kind of crisis for a few days or a week or so.

So, it needs to be tailored to each person. Likewise, glycine is beneficial for most, whilst problematic for a few who have real bad oxalate problems... primarily in the context of endogenous synthesis in the liver.

For those people, addressing thiamine, B6, and oxidative stress, before megadosing vitamin C and glycine :)

The young apricot tree in our garden began to produce ripe fruit. They will be edible in a couple days. I already sampled three from the highest branches and one wormy from the floor. Looked up the oxalate content of apricots and made a surprise discovery:
Dried apricot is HIGH in oxalates.
Fresh apricot or canned is LOW in oxalates.
Conclusion: Apparently losing most of its water transforms the fruit structure, creating glass shards inside. Lots of lots of dried apricots are sold in stores as snacks.

The book "Data Companion to Toxic Superfoods A Guide to Oxalate in Foods" by Sally K Norton as been released.

Here is a review from Dr. Bill Schindler, PhD
Author of Eat Like a Human

"This is the most comprehensive and reliable guide to the oxalate content in foods ever compiled. It is presented in a user-friendly way and is loaded with information developed to guide you through your battle with oxalates no matter where you are on your journey. This resource has the ability to drastically improve the quality of life for anyone that reads it. I wish I had it 20 years ago!"

Back
Top Bottom