New Forum layout April 2018

Just a matter of time to get used to this new forum and it's OK.

Great job !

Two little things I noticed : It doesn't seem there is a way to change the page colors, and no way to choose another member's name (my last one disappeared in the process and now it's back to the first one)...

#3. Clicking a thread title doesn't automatically open it in a new tab. It uses the existing tab to display the desired topic. This can be avoided by first right-clicking a thread title and then choose Open in New Tab but I have trouble remembering that preferred sequence and thus get annoyed (with myself in the first place) repeatedly.
I know quite a few people who hate settings that open a new tab for them since they know how to do it if they wish it this way. It's impossible to please everyone! ;-)
Or maybe you can change the settings of your browser to automatically open a link in a new tab.

You can also press the Control key on your keyboard and the normal left click with you mouse (at the same time) and it will open the link in a new tab. Unless you're using a MAC, in which case I'm not sure if it will be the same, but using the Command key.

Gandalf said:
Or maybe you can change the settings of your browser to automatically open a link in a new tab.
That's the setting I always work with. I wouldn't have mentioned my 'problem' if I would've been able to solve it that way.

You can also press the Control key on your keyboard and the normal left click with you mouse (at the same time) and it will open the link in a new tab. Unless you're using a MAC, in which case I'm not sure if it will be the same, but using the Command key.
I'm using Firefox on Windows 7. Thanks for your suggestion but I think I'll stick with the middle mouse click (mouse wheel) to get what I want. It's more elegant and shorter too.

Thanks to all who jumped in for your suggestions and your time. :clap:

That is a rather condescending reply solarmind. A few paragraphs is too long to read? Are you sure you're in the right place? No one is trying to "guru" you, just trying to help you see how your writing comes across. It seems you really don't care for honest feedback. Maybe you're in the :wrongbar:

I agree Beau, solarmind's response seemed rather snippy and uncalled for, considering that Ant22 was simply giving her own feedback to solarmind's original post that was mostly critical and complaining of the new forum layout.

I also noticed she responded positively to similar feedback from both Scottie and Luc who hold the positions of Administrator and Ambassador respectively, but she comes across as defensive towards a member without any particular title. It made me wonder if solarmind puts greater emphasis on a person's 'status' when formulating her replies.

Especially considering her remarks about gurus, promotions, ambassadors, sticks and notty (sic) pupils below...

I skip throughh fast and funny though that you are "guruing" me, what you wrote and how you tone it is like you get the promotion here to be ambassador to give sticks to notty pupils .. ;)

Two little things I noticed : It doesn't seem there is a way to change the page colors, and no way to choose another member's name (my last one disappeared in the process and now it's back to the first one)...

The forum names have reverted back to your login username. You'll need to pm Scottie to have it changed.

Maybe this is not big issues but I noticed that my icon or avatar is not showing all the posts that I replied on before Feb, 17 2018.

Maybe this is not big issues but I noticed that my icon or avatar is not showing all the posts that I replied on before Feb, 17 2018.

If you pass your cursor over your avatar you should see that you have over 700 posts.

And if you look through your posts they are all there as this one by example which is from 2015:

Hello, I am glad to be in with you all. I am 65 years old and came to USA on 1971, from south Korea. All my life one thing I like to do is read books, no any other hobby.

Until 5 years ago, I read mostly fictional books especially adventure and science fiction&fantasy. Then I got tired of that and looking for something new and end up started to read new age books. Everything was new to me, I read one book and tried few exercise but as soon as I start another then tried other method of exercise.

Then few months ago I start Laura's book Amazing Grace and Wave books 1-8. Then I know that I finally found the true information that don't need to look any further. Every articles from Cassiopaen website reveals something new to me. Now I have wonderous time absorbing new knowledges. Thank you C's and Laura, you're information changing my life.

So when you look through your posts, you have something like 10 pages and when you go to the last pages, you should see on the bottom right side, view older results(something like that) and you click on that and you will see older posts.

Last edited:
Regarding the objections to changes in the forum layout, I want to recount a personal experience in case that might be of help:

When the SOTT logo was changed more than two years ago, I initially didn't like that change much because the logo didn't fit my subjective taste. But I understood the necessity of the change, that it made SOTT looking more professional and appreciated the hard work that was put into designing it and bringing the change into effect. Which was what I expressed. And I thought that I would adapt by time anyway - which I did. And I found that the new logo fit very well with a SOTT theme I personally preferred at the time. Thus there was no need to ride my initial subjective resistance against that change out on those who put time and energy into that change.

Now I don't think about the logo anymore since it has become a triviality for me in light of the huge amount of worthwhile work being put into SOTT. And even subjectively I can't say that I dislike it any more and now think it fits better - it's hard for me to imagine SOTT with the old logo now. Maybe that is because the "new" outlook has become familiar to me now.

The new forum layout is a much bigger change of course, but you might adapt to it as well (we all are still making ourselves familiar with it). And, overall, the content that you came to appreciate and therefore (I assume) joined the forum is still here and the networking is continuing, though everyone adapts to the new layout.

Lastly, dealing with changes is one part of the Work (which only can co-exist with changes - as in changing ourselves; otherwise there couldn't be any Work), like mentioned here already.

Hello Gandalf,

Thanks for your explanation.
Sorry, but from my limited English writing ability, I didn’t explain clearly enough. So, I will try again.
What I meant is in example, when I view “What’s new posts” I know that some members post are I have replied sometimes ago, because my icon or avatar picture is showing bottom right side but I noticed some older posts are not showing anything even my replies are there in someone’ Post.

OK. I will try. In this picture, my avatar is showing ‘session 10 February 2018. Because I did reply in that post.

But I also replied session 16 September 2017, 14 October 2017, 7 May 2016 and so on but my avatar is not showing.
7616A646-C6D3-4406-B948-BF5A942E004B.jpeg

Hello Gandalf,

Thanks for your explanation.
Sorry, but from my limited English writing ability, I didn’t explain clearly enough. So, I will try again.
What I meant is in example, when I view “What’s new posts” I know that some members post are I have replied sometimes ago, because my icon or avatar picture is showing bottom right side but I noticed some older posts are not showing anything even my replies are there in someone’ Post.

I also noticed this difference where the old software had a "Show new replies to your posts" option. Now you have to monitor threads by using "Watch threads". A similar capability is here now but it requires clicking the "Watch" button for threads you specifically want to monitor. You can also "Watch Forums" which is more general in scope.

I kind of miss the "Show new replies to your posts" option but there are advantages to this new approach I think. I find myself paying more attention to a wider array of activities now.

If you recall or check your previous posts you can add the "Watch" feature and see all of your watched threads activities even if you don't have anything to add at the moment. It is not as personal as it was. I think we may miss replies due to this function not being included. I don't know if there a way to achieve this now or not.

I suspect the reason your avatar does not show is some of those in your screen shot is because they are dates before the migration to the new software was in effect.

OK. I will try. In this picture, my avatar is showing ‘session 10 February 2018. Because I did reply in that post.

But I also replied session 16 September 2017, 14 October 2017, 7 May 2016 and so on but my avatar is not showing.

I suspect the reason your avatar does not show is some of those in your screen shot is because they are dates before the migration to the new software was in effect.

OK I have done some test in threads where I had already posted before the migration and my avatar was not showing. I posted a sample test sentence and suddenly my avatar was there. So the hypothesis of goyacobol is correct.

I also noticed this difference where the old software had a "Show new replies to your posts" option. Now you have to monitor threads by using "Watch threads". A similar capability is here now but it requires clicking the "Watch" button for threads you specifically want to monitor. You can also "Watch Forums" which is more general in scope.

I kind of miss the "Show new replies to your posts" option but there are advantages to this new approach I think. I find myself paying more attention to a wider array of activities now.

Hi goyacobol,

When someone answered to your post if that member uses a quotation of your post, you will be notified by the Alerts bell on the top right of the page.

Moreover, you can choose to see the threads where you have participated using the filter option as illustrated below:

Capture d’écran (419).png:

Back
Top Bottom