NeuroFeedback, NeurOptimal and Electroencephalography

Chu said:
In the many years we've been doing research here, one thing I've learned is that you cannot judge by the amount of French papers. I often do searches in Spanish, French and English, and the ratio is something like 1-1-10 in terms of research available.

Also, here you are mistrusting it based on how the therapists came across to you, but not the technique itself. I was lucky, it seems, because I spoke with two therapists, who actually kindly called me back and spent a good 20 mins on the phone, answering questions before even offering to make an appointment. So you have to do some digging, and see who you find. :)

From our experience yesterday, and just to add to what Laura wrote, we were told by the therapist that it may take anything between 1 and 15 sessions to actually perceive some effects. It is Neuroptimal. We both chose the movie. I could hear tiny cuts in the sound once in a while, and one time the image also stopped, the break lasting a second at most. I had headphones on. The electrodes were as described by Divide by Zero. (The therapist explained that the electrodes in the ears are there as a control, to separate the actual brain activity patterns from the environmental stimuli.)

So far, no huge changes or anything, but I did notice a couple of things, which I will report later if the effects are not just a one-time thing.

There IS feedback, IMO: If your brain doesn't respond to the breaks in sound, the pauses remain there, until your brain cranks up again. The brain sends signals, the machine decodes the patterns, and when it discovers a glitch, it stops the sound/image. Your brain immediately adjusts, and the sound/music resumes. The therapist also explained that the electrodes are doing a scan of different areas all the time. So, the place where the electrodes are hooked doesn't mean that all the brain isn't being "scanned".
[...]

But of course, we'll have to see, and it may depend on each case, on when and where the damage was caused, etc.

Wrong. I mistrust based on what I read on the websites (links gave in my previous post, neurofeedback.fr). The author says it's neurotherapy (that's why it can work in some cases) without feedback.
Then, this therapist who gave an appointment without showing me the device before, has been a red flag for me. And even despite that, I didn't gave up, as I contacted another practitionner (of the same method). It's always better to see before, to have the max of info, to see what is marketing and what is real service to patients.
I agree with your last sentence.
I also agree with Laura about its accessibility and helpfulness for the person who is generally functional and just wants better coherence and organization in their brain and to feel better.
On the other hand, I couln't stay without sharing a warning I read about. So, I continue my discovery of it, it's something new for me.

nature said:
Wrong. I mistrust based on what I read on the websites (links gave in my previous post, neurofeedback.fr). The author says it's neurotherapy (that's why it can work in some cases) without feedback.

Which is wrong. You very often can't trust French sites about new technology or anything that they don't invent or control. Seems to be a character trait. Perhaps they should use the NeurOptimal machine and get over themselves.

nature said:
Then, this therapist who gave an appointment without showing me the device before, has been a red flag for me. And even despite that, I didn't gave up, as I contacted another practitionner (of the same method). It's always better to see before, to have the max of info, to see what is marketing and what is real service to patients.

Yes. But you are unlikely to get the necessary info in French.

nature said:
I agree with your last sentence.
I also agree with Laura about its accessibility and helpfulness for the person who is generally functional and just wants better coherence and organization in their brain and to feel better.
On the other hand, I couln't stay without sharing a warning I read about. So, I continue my discovery of it, it's something new for me.

See caveats about "French warnings". I've sure dealt with that issue enough!

Meanwhile, the warnings that seem to be most reliable are against the QEEG business and the "Neuron jockeys" that like to drive other people's brains. Sorry, not going there.

I actually think that channeling the Cs has been a form of neurofeedback for many years because it has done for me many of the things claimed for the neurofeedback systems.

nature said:
Thank you Laura. I stay open and will continue to learn :)

Since it is certainly sure to do no harm, you might want to rent the NeurOptical machine and start doing sessions two or three times a week and see what happens! That's our plan. We may try a rent to buy agreement so that, at the end, we can keep the machine and have it available here for group members who want to come and try it in a retreat type of context with the facility to discuss issues if they come up.

ADDED: What we seem to be seeing around the net is neurotherapists who used to do the "driving" deciding that the NeurOptical device is better and safer.

Laura said:
ADDED: What we seem to be seeing around the net is neurotherapists who used to do the "driving" deciding that the NeurOptical device is better and safer.

After reading the research posted so far, I think it is pretty legitimate to say that Neuroptimal is a much safer option. Realistically, chances of finding a trusting "driver" are not good. Although I have had positive effects, it was true for me that I got very discouraged upon hearing the state of my brain on that particular day before Winter Solstice. For all I know, I could have been that particular day!

Some highlights from the Neuroptimal posts and the QEEG cons that caught my attention:

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/07/14/real-time-fmri-neurofeedback-how-it-works-the-research-benefits/

It is thought that the training could then be conducted with an EEG neurofeedback device rather than a rtfMRI neurofeedback device to target both brain waves and specific neural connectivity. In theory, this is possible but may prove difficult due to the fact that EEG training may not precisely align with regional activations derived from the rtfMRI. I’m somewhat skeptical regarding whether this would work, but it’s worth an attempt.

I was reading Sebern Fisher's book and noticed that she mentioned specific brain regions for sensory information that could be ascribed to the brain region right next to it. How to know? We are certainly limited by the amount of information currently available on this area. A system that targets brain connectivity as a whole like Neuroptimal would certainly bypass this knowledge limitation.

Sebern Fisher herself admitted to potentially creating long-term damaging results in an interview. Here's the relevant transcript quote which was edited for the sake of brevity. During the interview, she didn't sound quite reassuring:

D: Do you use different points on the scalp for different conditions or purposes?
S: Well, for different people…it is not necessarily a condition base, and I can tell you a story about that. The temporal lobe is where the amygdala, the focus of fear circuitry, is located, so I will tend to focus (when there is a lot of emotional turmoil) on the temporal lobe—just because it is the closest I can get, geographically, to the amygdala—and that works for most people. But then comes along a patient of mine who had been in residential treatment; she was now in her 30’s, and she had called me up, she said, “I’m going to kill somebody, I need to try what you do.” She had a history of attempted murder, so this was not necessarily an exaggeration; she was very angry with somebody. She came in and we trained her initially off the temporal lobe, and she got quieter and quieter, and within three sessions she felt she was at no risk of hurting anybody. And because of my knowing that the problem for her brain was in the temporal lobes, I switched the placements to her temporal lobes—so from the top of the brain down to the side of the brain—and trained her, and she did not have a good response. So I followed the rule of the brain (l don’t always know what they are): I got off the temporal lobe, went back up to C4; I was always on the right hemisphere because I knew it was this early right hemisphere development that is lacking in developmental trauma. And I think what had happened with her response was that she had had a lot of head injury as a kid; her mother beat her up, and one of the vulnerable places in the head for people who are knocked around is the temporal lobe. So I may have hit on a bruise or some memory that made her very uncomfortable, so we didn’t stay there. But generally speaking, with developmental trauma usually I want to get to the temporal lobes.

It could have been much worse.

http://neurofeedback-research.org/mediapool/106/1068657/data/Scharnowski_-_2015_-_CurrOpBehavSci.pdf

However, neurofeedback with EEG offers a limited spatial specificity and choice of brain regions that can be targeted...

Behavioral effects may not be achieved, because participants fail to learn self-regulation of brain activity or the voluntary self-regulation does not result in the intended behavioral improvement. Like with all skill learning, learning with neurofeedback requires motivation, repeated practice, and good training conditions. More rewarding feedback designs, better MRI scanner availability, and improved image quality and real-time signal processing algorithms will facilitate learning success, as does a better understanding of its neuroscientific and psychological underpinnings. Likewise, an increasingly better understanding of brain function through rapid advances in conventional neuroimaging research and improved sensitivity of the behavioral tests will facilitate the specificity and the detection of neuro feedback training effects. So far, most studies trained self-regulation of functionally specific brain areas, but they did not train to achieve brain states that corresponded to optimum levels of task performance.

https://neurofeedbacktraining.com/system

Instead of targeting specific symptoms, NeurOptimal® focuses on optimizing overall brain function. This approach naturally ameliorates most complaints, whatever their source...

100% NATURAL
Each brain is unique and knows the best way to “correct” itself for improved efficiency. NeurOptimal® simply provides the central nervous system with information about its own activity. Given the right information the brain can naturally optimize itself.

With NeurOptimal the brain is simply interacting adaptively with itself moment by moment, not striving to produce "more" of some frequency and "less" of another according to an outside “expert”.

While those kinds of changes may be observed, they occur as part of an intrinsic self-organizing principal rather than an artificially imposed constraint. This is a large part of both the inherent power and safety of NeurOptimal and how it invites very seamless change.

WHAT IS PROTOCOL NEUROFEEDBACK?

Traditional neurofeedback devices require you to diagnose ahead, sometimes via what is called a QEEG or brain map, which is a decision on which direction the practitioner feels the brain needs to be pushed as a result of a single static picture taken days or weeks earlier. These are called protocols. Diagnosing and then treating in this way is actually a VERY awkward and slow feedback loop from NeurOptimal®’s perspective that does not offer the on-going “self-correction” that naturally happens as part of the brain’s dance with itself.

The brain or client is diagnosed as having a particular disorder which is then “treated”, relying heavily upon the knowledge and experience of the clinician to direct that treatment. Treatment is usually done by training up or down a minimal selection of frequencies in different locations. The feedback provided is used by the client to learn to produce more or less of these frequencies in the particular locations. Typically, the focus of training will be on one symptom cluster for a period of weeks or months until, hopefully, there is resolution, at which point the training will be adjusted to address another symptom cluster and so on. It is a linear, stepped process, and sometimes the frequencies needed for one set of symptoms in exactly wrong for another, leading to confusion and trial and error training.

With other systems, the practitioner needs to know a great deal about the brain to be able to work skillfully, and even then, in each case it can take weeks to know if what one is doing is actually the "right” thing that a particular brain needs.

The practitioner must be skilled in watching for side effects, which are typically recognized when the client complains about them, at which point training is adjusted in some way. Again, trial and error.

WHY IS NO BRAIN MAPPING NEEDED?

The way most systems work is that first the practitioner needs to make a diagnosis. (For this reason, with most systems the practitioner needs to be a licensed healthcare practitioner). The diagnosis will then determine what your brain will be told to do. The diagnosis can be made by interview, evaluation of behavior and/or extensive review of past history and medical records. A one-moment in time picture of your brain may also be conducted, that shows the dominant frequencies it is producing in what location. This one brief "slice of time" is then used to direct training over subsequent weeks or months. Needless to say, this evaluation process is time consuming and expensive, and the client gains no direct benefit from this cost.

http://blog.neurofeedbacktraining.com/best-neurofeedback-equipment-for-home

Dynamical Feedback vs. protocol-based neurofeedback –What's the difference?

There are two broad categories of neurofeedback systems: traditional, protocol-based neurofeedback. There are a number on the market, such as Cygnet, Brainasium and Brain Paint, most of which require a brain map assessment before training can begin. (Cygnet does not.) That map is used to create a protocol for training by a clinician. The second type, dynamical feedback, of which there is only one on the market and is called NeurOptimal. It is marketed as the most advanced itteration of the brain training technology based on the non-linear processing patterns of the brain. Dynamical neurofeedback is a true feedback device in that the technology only feeds back the real-time information to the brain about it's electrical patterning, and therefore, does not need a map before training can begin.

Clinician: Do I need to train in an office with a clinician in order to get effective training for serious conditions such as PTSD? If you are looking at protocol-based neurofeedback, then yes, you want a qualified clinician with many years of experience, administering the neurofeedback training. Why? Because with protocol-based systems, the trainer is creating brain state changes by comparing your electrical brain patterns to "normal" brain patterns. If you are using the dynamical neurofeedback, the technology works by giving each brain immediate feedback about itself and triggers the brain's natural self-correcting functioning. With this non-invasive technique, there is no state changes created by the trainer. With these types of neurofeedback, a home system is safe, and often the best choice, especially with a family training for ADHD relief...

I would definitely like to try NeurOptimal, but all the therapists are located in Madrid, too far away for me to drive there on a weekly basis. I could arrange an appointment for one or two sessions though. I'll contact the therapists to see if they are willing to rent me the material even though I'm not located in Madrid. Since my current neuropsychologist seems to be experienced and I derived some good results from the second and third session, I'm going to go ahead with the fourth session and until I can try the NeurOptimal myself for comparison. I'll keep in mind that someone else is "driving" my brain and be more questioning as to the parameters the neuropsychologist is setting and why. Awareness, awareness, awareness!!!

Thanks to everyone who's been researching this recently :flowers: I began looking at the end of last week for neurofeedback practitioners in my area, but after the more recent information that's been posted I want to see what the options are locally of finding a NeurOptimal option of some kind. Zengar.com lists one trainer in my area, so I may try to contact them at the beginning of next week. I'm definitely interested in giving this a try if I can find a way to do it.

Laura said:
Review from a user: [..]
After fifteen sessions, if I can say the biggest shift that I’ve noticed it would be in my communication. I seem to speak a lot more clearly. I’m also a lot more comfortable being around other people. And then even a lot better at listening, particularly to my wife. As an average, I also do seem to get more done at work. I don't get off task as I did before. Finally, I should at least mention that I feel like I’m more empathetic than I was before, but that is something that could just be a placebo effect.

This is where it gets interesting. Collingwood's books have the same effect: maybe he didn't even plan for his books to have this brain-coherence increasing effect. Its almost as if his work was directed from the heavens above to become an IQ enhancing conduit, like the very pleasant, balmy soul-healing effects of Laura's EE voice recordings.

Divide By Zero said:
Neuroptimal and a few other systems that are geared for therapists who are not highly trained look at things in a different way. Instead of relying on a QEEG map, their idea is to look for a balance of frequencies. In a video I saw about NO, the creator explained that they are using math to shape the expected curve constantly and the feedback comes in as "blips" or "skips" in the music.
Thank you DBZ for the website and information. It looks Nuerooptimal seems to be safer and easy to do. I sent a request for 15 min session on their nuerofeedbacktraining.com website, . As of now, the plan is to take it for family 20 sessions/month for me and my kid and see how it goes, unless some thing changes.

Thank you Laura and team for the book "Heller and Lapierre" and other research. that is pretty interesting book, I started reading it.

I think it may be very interesting to observe what kinds of things may manifest if peeps get some of these issues dealt with in this way. It seems to me that it is sort of like changing the "belief center". You'll see what I mean when you read the dev. trauma book AND the potential for neurofeedback to deal with that kind of trauma that is often pre-verbal and otherwise inaccessible.

The story about creation Neuroptimal is quite interesting: https://neuroptimal.com/blog/history-of-neuroptimal/

Although, I still cannot determine how much is their approach optimal, or how much the approach of other NF devices is less optimal than theirs.

But I do appreciate the user-friendliness of Neuroptimal, compared to other devices where you need to have a trained practitioner.

Laura said:
I think it may be very interesting to observe what kinds of things may manifest if peeps get some of these issues dealt with in this way. It seems to me that it is sort of like changing the "belief center". You'll see what I mean when you read the dev. trauma book AND the potential for neurofeedback to deal with that kind of trauma that is often pre-verbal and otherwise inaccessible.

I'm currently scheduled to do neurofeedback next week, with a 19-sensor reading. Neuro-optimal sounds interesting in the sense that it's the brain in the driver's seat, instead of the specific frequency goals set by a clinician. It seems like there's no risk of over-training and would be able to fix certain things that a clinician may not know to check out and look for. Just thinking aloud. Basic neurofeedback itself sounds like it would be better for fixing well-known problems with people (such as say, ADD or something), since the target behavior is well known and the mind is direct towards it. Am I understanding this right? Or should I opt to switch to neuroptimal instead? :/ I just got Healing Developmental Trauma this evening, so I'll go to war on it tomorrow and try and come to a more educated decision.

Many thanks to all who have expanded and contributed to this thread.

Persej said:
The story about creation Neuroptimal is quite interesting: https://neuroptimal.com/blog/history-of-neuroptimal/

It is pretty interesting. Although a bit long, I'll quote it here to give us a better idea of the evolution of the NF protocols:

A History of NeurOptimal: A Personal Reflection
Susan Cheshire Brown Ph.D.

I entered the field of neurofeedback in the early 1990s. At that time, the entire field was represented by only two diametrically opposed training methods. One was SMR / beta training which was applied to various forms of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), the other was alpha-theta training. While this was frequently used to explore human consciousness, it was also utilized as an abreactive approach to personal transformation, particularly for addictions (Penniston and Kulkosky, 1991). Abreactive meant, that while training could indeed be transformative, it often came at the cost of re-experiencing old trauma which then had to be “worked through” therapeutically. The practitioners who offered the one approach to training did not offer the other, so the type of training you would receive depended very much upon whom you consulted. Very striking to me at that time, was the lack of any theoretical model of neurofeedback to explain, let alone integrate, these two disparate approaches. Those contributing to the body of knowledge at the time were very much doing their own thing with little reference to the work of any other.

When Val Brown entered the field also in the early ’90s, he took it upon himself to integrate the two approaches to training into what he called his Five Phase Model (Brown, 1995). No matter the presenting complaints, clients were led methodically through a series of phases of training, moving on to the next once they were considered stable. They would begin with eyes-open SMR training, then beta training and then shift to eyes closed alpha-theta training. Whereas others in the field would train SMR on the right side of the head (C4), beta on the left (C3) and alpha-theta at the low back of the head (O1 and O2), Val found he could use one central location (CZ) for all the training in the first four phases. Phase 5 was Global Synchrony training using a piece of equipment with four channels, if that was available. Otherwise, the Synchrony was allowed to emerge naturalistically, still using the single site, CZ based, training format. The advantage of Val’s Five Phase Model was both its ease of administration (no need to diagnose the client, no need to move the sensor) and its comprehensiveness (it incorporated the essence of both major approaches in the field, it resolved a broad array of issues clients presented with, and in addition was personally transformative). An added benefit was that working at CZ was also remarkably safe, so side effects were relatively few. As if this were not enough, Val also contributed even more significantly to client safety and comfort. In his clinical work with clients, he observed a significant pulsing at 3 Hz in individuals who manifest trauma, and he came to describe 3 Hz as representing emotional reactivity (its sister frequency at 5 Hz he described as cognitive reactivity). He further discovered that this pulsing was also present in many disorders, and he hypothesized that it was a key factor relating to symptom presentation. This observation led to him vitally and routinely suppressing 3 Hz during all training, for all clients. This was a key component of The Five Phase Model, regardless of what other targets might be used as augments or inhibits. In my personal view, the observation of the significance of 3 Hz as an essential attribute in disorder was one of his most important contributions to the field. It permitted trauma victims the possibility of releasing symptoms without having to re-experience the trauma, which was a HUGE step forward in assisting these clients. Surprisingly, this raised, and still raises, a good deal of antipathy among what we call “feel it to heal it” therapists. But worse in my view, was the refusal of others in the field to embrace this information, and many still train today using suppress bandwidths of 4-7 Hz, allowing 3 Hz to freely trigger considerable distress for some clients. At that time, I felt if we were to do nothing else but suppress 3 Hz, we could allay a lot of what was triggering emotional and symptomatic storms for the client. Overall, the Five Phase Model spoke to me, and I quickly adopted it in my clinical practice.

After Val and I became a couple in 1996, I continued to work with the Five Phase Model, but started experimenting with ways I could both enhance and speed up the training. Although I am a very cautious clinician, I felt comfortable doing this because the Five Phase Model was, at its very essence, an extremely safe model to experiment with. However, I also felt some personal concern about this experimentation because I knew that I would ultimately work in the way I found best, even if this were to take me away from Val’s Five Phase Model. Given that Val’s professional life was largely spent teaching and supervising others in the use of his model, that could cause some (rightfully) curious questioning on that fact. This was one of those periods where I personally felt I had to just keep steady and stay the course, and trust in what would arise from the work. It was an intensive couple of years of exploration for me, and clinically resulted in the routine suppression of 23-38 Hz (which I called the “worry frequency”), the use of 40 Hz as an augment, and the rich discovery of the benefits of 21 Hz or the “aura frequency,” as we called it (more on that later).

As creative and as effective this was for my clients, training was still being done using one single channel at a time, so having to move a single sensor from one side of the head to the other during the session. I was speeding up training by lateralizing, training left and right brain at C3 and C4 instead of centrally at CZ, but making the trading “stronger” in this way also came at a cost — side effects were also stronger. So much of my clinical hour now was now spent closely monitoring how the client was feeling and adjusting training based on client self-report. This required considerable skill on the part of the trainer, which was further put to the test when the client had some form of immune-suppression. These clients had a very long delay in their response to training (a slow feedback loop). We would not know for hours and sometimes days, what the impact of the training was, so I could not reliably adjust the training I was giving based upon their self-report. If they felt good when they left my office they would often feel depleted and lethargic later, and if they felt not so good after their session they would start to feel good later. How well a therapist could manage these clients clearly distinguished the more experienced from the less so. Considerable effort was thus expended by all therapists to become adept at managing and minimizing side effects, and this was true no matter the approach that was used.

Concurrent with my clinical explorations, Val was busy evolving his theoretical thinking from a linear model of training frequencies up or down, towards a non-linear and more dynamic model of central nervous system functioning. Practically, Val started to include lateralizing away from CZ to enhance SMR or Beta training, but then would return to CZ to establish that the intended training had indeed been accomplished. However, this was only the beginning of his explorations of the dynamical structure of neurofeedback training as a comprehensive and adaptive process. As he further developed and articulated his emerging model, it became clear that how Val was thinking theoretically was articulating what I was doing practically with my clients! While I had moved away from the original linear Five Phase Model during my two years of exploration, Val’s theoretical evolution brought his thinking and my clinical practice neatly back together again. Trusting in the process had definitely born fruit!

Some other specific events also occurred around this time that were to change forever the way we work. At a FutureHealth conference I was sitting at the Thought Technology booth where their ProComp encoder was being demonstrated. This encoder offered two separate channels, the idea being that you could do one hookup and then train one side of the brain and then the other without having to move the sensor. On a whim, I suggested that Val hook me up see if we could train two sides of the brain at once. This was a ridiculous suggestion at the time, as we were sequentially training SMR on the right and Beta on the left. These two frequency bandwidths result in two very different states of consciousness (for more on those, see the Cartography of Consciousness). So what would happen if you trained two very different states of awareness at the same time? As we discovered, while sitting at that booth, you could indeed train both SMR and Beta at the same time! Of course, many colleagues would go on to protest that such concurrent training was “too much for the CNS to handle”. In retrospect it seems silly but, at that time, there was a widespread assumption that the CNS could ONLY train one specific “augment” target at a time. We continued to develop our thinking by further exploring the use of multiple concurrent targets. What a change that made! Now we had the ability to train two separate real-time channels of EEG simultaneously, offering double the training and benefit to our clients in their sessions.

Another event occurred at the same meeting and it too, was to have a profound effect on our development. Val was presenting on thresholding and discussed some ideas for a live demonstration of these new ideas with Tom Allen, one of the developers of the Biograph® system. For the demonstration I was hooked up facing towards the audience and away from a large screen. This ensured I had no visual information about what either what my brain was doing or what the operator was doing as he changed the thresholds. I was just hearing tones (auditory feedback). The purpose of the presentation was to demonstrate an idea of Val’s, that manually “bracketing” a target by moving rapidly and alternately above and below it for a few iterations (about six) would induce a positive effect in that target. If the target involved was an augment frequency (one that you would like to increase) such as SMR or Beta, it would try to seek a new threshold level by briefly decreasing in amplitude then shooting upwards to settle at a new (desired) higher level. However, if the target involved an inhibit frequency, like our 2-6 Hz, then the signal would try to seek a new threshold limit by briefly increasing in amplitude, then suddenly dropping and settling at a new (desired) lower level. Although Tom explained this phenomenon in terms of learning theory, Val described it in non-linear terms as “dynamical thresholding”. Coupling that with our simultaneous bilateral training, now including our newly explored 21 Hz and 40 Hz and adding in alpha-theta, the Period Three Approach was born.

Period Three was a three-tiered training with a much more complex organization and implementation than the earlier Five Phase Model. That model had required a systematic progression through stages over many sessions, moving on to the next stage only when the client had become stable in the earlier stage. In contrast, in the Period Three Approach, all three of the stages of training were used within one session. Val by this time was designing our own interface to the neurofeedback software we were using, and each of the three periods were represented by their own set of display screens. Clients would do what they needed to allow the screens to move through a series of simple movements. The clinician in their turn had chosen a visual interface to both observe brain activity and to operate the thresholds. Creating these screens had pushed the particular software we were using to its limits however, and we were recognizing the need to write our own if we were to have a safe, responsive platform upon which to explore our non-linear thinking. So when we were able, we embraced the opportunity and NeuroCare® Pro, the forerunner to NeurOptimal®, was born.

NeuroCare® Pro was designed from the ground up to be a training for the brain, not a treatment for disorders. We already had a solid, effective approach (Period Three) for working with any client who came in the door, which was free of the need for diagnosis or special evaluation. Consequently a medical model, which applies a defined treatment to a specific set of symptoms, just did not make sense for us. We tried to make this distinction clear by referring to our users as trainers, not clinicians, and by creating a clearly non-medical language for the interface, which collectively were called portals, and the sessions which were called journeys. We also simplified the trainer’s view of brain activity from observing a difficult to interpret raw brain wave, to a display of colored one-hertz bins which we called the Matrix Mirror. Our dynamical thresholds were managed through a second display of overlapping boxes that could be sized by the trainer on the fly. Each phase of Period Three was represented by portals with a different set of threshold boxes, which the trainer would drag to a size that allowed a “reasonable” amount of feedback. And for feedback we chose a method of interrupting ongoing music or sound to provide the information to the brain, rather than providing blips, squeaks, buzzes or changing notes as information about what the brain was doing.

One of the major consequences of these easy to use portals was that the trainer could observe shifts in brain activity long before the client would experience unwanted side effects. This meant the trainer could adjust the training before the client had had “too much” and was exhibiting side effects. This was huge for trainers, because now instead of asking a client how they were feeling to know when and what to adjust, they could simply observe the effects in the Matrix Mirror and make adjustments as they were needed. The learning challenge for trainers became recognizing patterns in the Matrix Mirror that would suggest the brain had had enough feedback in a particular frequency group, and adjusting training to avoid the pitfalls that could come from over-training. A skilled trainer could then largely avoid unwanted side effects while still providing an integrated training process which offered the client the benefit of training many frequencies across a full range, rather than using a very limited subset aimed at a particular diagnosis, which was (and still is) the approach used by our colleagues.

At this point we were using different portals for each of the Three Periods, and you would stop training to shift to a new set of portals. When using the alpha-theta based Period Two, we would have clients close their eyes and cuddle up with a mask and a blankie. Having to stop and pull up different portals started to feel clumsy to me, so we designed a truly “comprehensive” portal which contained all the frequency bandwidths we worked with. To work with a set of boxes (which were our dynamical thresholds), a trainer would pull them into a smaller size so they started to provide feedback, and you would leave the others larger so they were not in play and would not trigger feedback. I was excited by this because I was curious to know whether I could shift from one Period to another without the client consciously being aware that the contingencies (the thresholds) had changed. Our colleagues very much view neurofeedback as invoking a conscious process (as in the client trying to make something happen) and I suspected that this was not the case at all.

So how would the brain respond to a change of requirements that the client was not consciously aware of? We also thought that changing the demand “behind the scenes” would require some increased flexibility on the part of the client to negotiate training. And indeed, changing Periods behind the scenes worked well. But then I reasoned, if our brains can learn to shift flexibly from one state to another without conscious awareness, could… the brain possibly… cope with information coming from ALL the frequency bandwidths for all the Three Periods, at once? Could we collapse the Period Three Approach essentially into one all-encompassing Period? Would it be way too confusing for the brain? Remember, we were simply pausing music or a movie when the brain was out of range; we did not produce a different sound for each different frequency. It was the same brief pause for all the frequencies. How would the brain interpret all this very similar information offered in very quick succession? Of course, maybe I should add that all the work I did was always tested on my own brain first, and then was extended to family members and then people I knew very well before applying it more generally. I also had the added safety of being able to see moment by moment what the brain was doing, and I could quickly shift what I was doing if I needed to, because I had a very safe system after all, to work with! So, you’ve guessed it, we discovered that yes, you could train all the frequencies “at once” (meaning in very quick succession). How had we ever thought you couldn’t? And very importantly, there was an incredible benefit to training all the frequencies at once. This method assured that any unwanted effects triggered by one frequency would immediately be counteracted by its partner frequency, before side-effects had even occurred. The bandwidths we worked with all balanced each other out perfectly! We were moving yet further towards our earlier goal of side-effect free neurofeedback for any brain, within one integrated, easy to use, training environment.

There was just one small fly in the ointment. There was one frequency culprit I wanted to deal with, and that was low beta 15-18 Hz. Beta is trained on the left to improve focus and concentration. Yet oddly, the SMR / beta boxes were the only frequency set that were not balanced left to right, as the brain seemed to prefer a slightly lower frequency on the right (SMR). I had known for years that low beta was invariably the culprit when unwanted side effects occurred. The reason is that beta trains the narrow focus of attention that accompanies the stress response! Indeed, most systems are training our children to focus by inducing the stress response. As a result of our work with Period Three, I could see we were getting terrific focus and attention by training frequencies much higher in the frequency range, which do not induce unpleasant side effects. So we decided to complete the Period Three model by balancing out the bandwidths left and right, and in so doing eliminated training low beta. An interesting note however, is that even though we were not training low beta directly we could still track what was happening to it. And we found that as the brain normalizes through the use of our dynamical thresholding and feedback on frequencies that have a re-balancing effect all the way up and down the frequency range, beta normalizes perfectly well on its own! So now we had effectively eliminated the trigger of most side effects. All I had to do now was add a “softening” band to what was an energizing Comprehensive mix, and finally we had our one-size adapts-to-all, Comprehensive Portal.

At this point, we were still training states, meaning different states of consciousness. These states were induced by suppressing “unwanted” frequencies, in particular 3 Hz (the emotional reactivity frequency identified by Val as a major problem in all disorder) and 5 Hz (which we identified as cognitive reactivity), and the higher frequencies 23-38 colloquially labelled by me as the “worry frequencies”. Our colleagues were still telling us we couldn’t work that high up due to interference from 50 Hz and 60 Hz from our electrical grids, but actually we can, due to the unique In-Line Adaptive De-noising algorithm developed by Val. This automatically removes signal identified as “non-human” and allows us to train under electrically noisy conditions that would flood and render useless, other systems. We were also augmenting other frequencies that were “desirable” (it is the augment frequencies that determine the state of consciousness). By this time the only augment frequency we were sharing with the rest of the field was SMR. We had eliminated beta as previously described, and were augmenting our unique 21 Hz and 40 Hz which was recognized in the field but not generally used, maybe partly due to electrical noise issues other systems experience that high up in the frequency range. At that time we were using what we thought was a logical algorithm with our unique box thresholds (or targets as well call them), where a suppress frequency was accepted as “in” (the music would continue to play) if it was inside the box or below it. And similarly, an augment was accepted if it was in the box or above it (higher). And we were getting good results. But it was starting to “niggle” at me, that if we were espousing a true dynamical model, we would have to accept the frequencies only when inside of the box. Outside the box was “out” and the music would stop. Even if, for an augment, it was above the box or for a suppress, it was below. This sounded counter-intuitive to us from a practical viewpoint, yet technically it was correct. So Val wrote me a personal version of the software using this stricter interpretation and I practiced on myself and others I knew to made sure it “would do no harm” and then embarked on my first week of training with clients I knew well (with their consent, of course). I remember that week clearly. It felt terrifying. I knew I could not hurt my clients, but— was it helping? I had gotten very skilled at guiding my clients through a “great ride” utilizing the different states, going into deep relaxation through high energy and landing in an alert yet relaxed state to go out into their lives. Now I had to let all of that go, because now— as far as the information the brain was receiving— there was no difference between an augment target and a suppress target! No more “states of consciousness”. What would the brain do in response to such information? It took all my courage to continue through that week, wondering if everything we had worked for had been left behind, that our thinking on the non-linear dynamical model had to be re-visited. But again, it was a question of staying the course, or as I have called it over the years, keeping on keeping on. And all turned out to be well. In fact, we were indeed quickly getting results and, wonderfully, with even fewer side effects. This was a consequence of no longer giving to the brain any suggestion of whether the frequency should go up or down, so no “pushing” of the brain with inadvertent overtraining a state.

By this time, the only remaining task for the trainer to do during sessions was to set the difficulty level, which determined how much feedback was heard. None-the-less, simple as it was, it required them to sit with the client through their session as the difficulty level would need to be periodically adjusted. So while I was sitting there during sessions, and always curious and sometimes inspired by changes I had seen Val making when he would occasionally run someone, I started playing with some of the mathematics available to me in the software. Over the years I had developed the ability to energetically track the changes a client was making in their CNS, and I used this ability to develop the frequency bandwidths by noting the different effects upon the client. I found that I could alter the level of challenge to the client by how precise or how “fuzzy” I made the feedback, in a mathematical sense. I developed a way to move through the sessions by changing these parameters, starting gently, increasing the difficulty and moving into a period of greater challenge and then softening that as they came to the end of the session. So instead of using states to give the client a wonderful experience through the session, I was now using the degree of feedback precision to offer different levels of challenge. I wrote down what I found worked with my clients, Val incorporated these into the software and they became known as the Zen modes (Zen as a play on our company name Zengar, not “zen”).

If we were to have a fully automated software, the last major piece of the puzzle (there are other pieces I have not even touched upon in this discourse) required the difficulty level to be navigated automatically by the program. Val and I were playing around with targeting one day in one of the test versions, and we saw an odd behavior in the way the targeting was working. Given how it was behaving, it struck me that we were seeing the essence of “auto-nav” (auto-navigation)! Of course, it took Val considerable development work from that birthing point, to the full Auto-Nav we enjoy today. The beauty is that the software interacts moment by moment with the brain with a degree of fluidity and efficiency that was never possible setting the difficulty levels manually. It is truly an ever-changing fluid dance between the feedback generated by the software and the brain. And a very positive practical affect of auto-nav, is that the trainer is relieved of having to sit through the session of a single client and is able instead to run multiple client sessions simultaneously, from outside the training room.

At this point, NeurOptimal® (yes, along the way it had a name change, reflecting the totally different product it had become) runs automatically through its sessions, eliminating irrelevant signal so you can run under a wide variety of less than ideal conditions, dancing with the brain with its powerfully releasing dynamical thresholds, moving through the Zen modes in a manner that provides powerful and safe transformation for any client, free of the need to diagnose or extensively evaluate. A true training as opposed to a treatment, and so easy to run that kids can run themselves. Truly a neurofeedback system “for the rest of us”. The very history and evolutionary process of NeurOptimal® itself, mirrors the very powerful transformational possibilities it offers to all who are willing to explore.

References

Brown, V. (1995). Neurofeedback and Lyme’s Disease: A clinical application of the Five Phase Model of CNS functional transformation and integration. Journal of Neurotherapy, 1(2), 60-73.

Peniston, E. G., & Kulkosky, P. J. (1991). Alcoholic personality and alpha-theta brainwave training. Medical Psychotherapy, 2, 37-55.

I spoke with the NeurOptimal representative for Spain and she said that renting material outside of Madrid was a possibility. Hopefully, I'll meet her in February for a session or two. By then, I would have done several sessions of targeted NF for comparision. Renting NeurOptimal would certainly fit my schedule much better and it's non-linear approach sounds interesting and promising.

Just wanted to mention a couple of books that Stephen Larsen has authored on neurofeedback -- the second one is more up to date (Sebern Fisher co-authors one of the chapters), but the first one looks like it was one of the first popular books on the subject:

https://www.innertraditions.com/author/stephen-larsen-ph-d/

Some more info about the work of Neuroptimal device:

The frequency range of the voltage fluctuations are measured in cycles per second (hertz or Hz). 1 Hz (or 1 times a second) reflects very big slow activity in the realm of the brain, whereas 40 Hz, for example, is considered relatively small and fast. In the past researchers have grouped some of these frequencies together and given them names based on the order in which they were discovered. Now that we can obtain very precise digital data compared with that obtained from old analogue equipment, we have found the old definitions to be imprecise. At Zengar, we have tended to use precise frequency labels such as 3 Hz and 5 Hz, rather than the general term of Theta, or 14 Hz rather than SMR, but the names do persist. We have tried to bridge what we do with the more linear world in our Cartography of Consciousness, which details many of the the frequencies we work with.

If we start at the bottom, the biggest slow waves of 1 Hz and 2 Hz are called Delta, and these are dominant in a person who is sleeping. Then comes “Theta”. Theta has been hotly debated in the field, which would down-train Theta in some circumstances and up-train Theta in other circumstances. At Zengar we have identified more precisely two types of Theta depending upon the frequencies you are referring to. “Bad” Theta pulses predominantly at 3Hz and 5Hz, which we have observed carries emotional and cognitive reactivity. Old traumas can be carried here. But “good” Theta, or 7 Hz, brings with it tremendous healing and sometimes wonderful realizations. Alpha is 8-13 Hz (these numbers can vary a little depending upon the researcher and the equipment they are using), and is present particularly when you relax with eyes closed. It can bring with it a feeling of well-being and peacefulness. However, you want it to reduce when you open your eyes. Because it is different with eyes open and eyes closed, at Zengar we call this a “swing” frequency, and have identified 10Hz as a problematic frequency if it is present in an eyes open state. Sensory Motor Rhythm or SMR is 14 Hz. We call it the “cat frequency”, because cats produce a lot of it while sitting very still with their eyes open. But if something small and furry were to cross in front of them, they would be on it in a flash. 14Hz is associated with a state of great physical stillness yet with full awareness of what is going on both in your body and around you — but not having any thoughts about it. {sounds like "self-remembering"} 15-18 Hz is commonly called Beta and is very focused narrow attention on something “out there”. Unfortunately this is also the stress response! So while it can improve narrow focus and and attention, it can be accompanied by some very unpleasant side effects (feeling anxious, headaches). At Zengar we stopped working with Beta many years ago, as there are other frequencies we work with that give you all the focus and attention and other benefits you want without the unpleasant side effects. We also work with a unique pairing of 21Hz and 40Hz that has many beneficial effects on all the other frequencies, as well as providing an ability to take in information from all around you coupled with narrow focus and attention that is NOT part of the stress response. Working with these and other frequencies higher up in the frequency range is both original and unique to Zengar. You can read about some of them on the Cartography of Consciousness.

In linear neurofeedback, the goal is to increase the amplitude (amount) of a limited set of chosen frequency bandwidths while decreasing others. Sometimes other parameters are chosen like coherence or ratios, but the point is still the same: Increase something specific in the “brainwaves” while decreasing some other specific characteristic. What gets up- and down-trained that session depends on the practitioner, their diagnosis of you and the protocols recommended by the manufacturer. It is a very narrow way of working in our opinion, basically chipping away at an issue by focusing on one or two frequencies at a time. When you work in this way, your central nervous system can be badly thrown off by being pushed too much in one direction, and a big part of the practitioner’s job is watching for unwanted side-effects. Also the next time you come in they will ask how you were in the days after the session to determine whether to continue with what they were doing, or to do something different. This is using VERY slow feedback in our opinion! At Zengar we do not train frequencies up or down — we just provide information to the brain about what it is doing, allowing the brain to make its own decisions. Furthermore, we work across a very complete range of frequencies, so no matter what you come in with, you “get” everything! It is also a very safe way to work because the effects of working with one frequency are naturally balanced by working with its equal and opposite “sister”. So if, for example, there is a relaxing and “letting go” effect by working with one, there is simultaneously an enlivening and focusing effect by working with its companion. Everything balances itself perfectly. And it all happens naturally!

We firmly believe that if you are a linear neurofeedback practitioner and are going to work in a limited way by doing only one or two things, you had better be exactly right in what you do! One protocol may call for up training Theta and another protocol may call for down training Theta. Making the wrong decision can be a major problem for your client in terms of side effects. Secondly, you must be very skilled, carefully observing for side effects as you work. We do not believe that a single brief training course can provide you with the necessary skill to work effectively with protocols. It would actually take a lengthy apprenticeship of about two years to become skilled, and even then you are still largely relying on your client’s side-effects to guide your decision-making. Not much fun for your client! And if this all were not enough, one of the huge challenges to the field is that changes in amplitude and other linear measures of these “frequency bands” are not well correlated with changes in symptoms! Despite all these problems, such approaches continue to be embraced by traditional neurofeedback practitioners.

To summarize, when you train with NeurOptimal® your brain is given information about the ENTIRE frequency range of activity encoded within the electrical activity of your brain. Moreover, NeurOptimal®, with elegant simplicity, gives information to your brain about what is happening across all of that activity, and your brain sorts out the rest for itself. Miraculously (of course), the brain knows exactly what needs to happen and will seamlessly organize itself. We have found this to be true NO MATTER THE SEVERITY OF THE SYMPTOMS. Truly EVERY brain has its innate intelligence. Once the brain can “see” itself” in the “mirror” provided by NeurOptimal®, it can “defrag” and re-organize itself. Aided by our unique Dynamical Thresholding® and the progression through our ZenModes, NeurOptimal® offers unprecedented possibilities for safe, NATURAL change.

https://neuroptimal.com/learn/your-brain-and-neuroptimal/

I can understand the user-friendliness of this device. I can also understand the benefit of working with all the frequencies at the same time and automatic adjustment of the feedback. But to say that this device is only giving the information to the brain about it's state and that the brain than just sorts out the rest for itself, doesn't sound quite true to me. They don't just give information about how the brain is working, they are also giving a feedback in the form of interruptions in music or video when the brain is working wrongly, just like in other NF treatments. Because you need to tell the brain when it is making a "though error" to help it to reorganize itself. And they are just doing this differently than in other NF systems:

NeurOptimal® works with functional brain instabilities, not amplitudes (amounts) or other linear measures used in linear systems. As the brain starts to move into a functional instability, which we target in “time-frequency envelopes”, the sound you hear pauses very briefly. The brain immediately pulls itself back from these functional instabilities. Over time, the brain learns to maneuver around such instabilities instead of falling into them, resulting in fewer issues and improved functioning — which we call increased flexibility and resilience.

https://neuroptimal.com/learn/neuroptimal-features/#1472837265553-dc689612-0b47

NeurOptimal® works with real-time Joint Time-Frequency Analysis or JTFA in a special non-linear way that accurately and precisely captures the “event-structure” of the electrical activity of our brain. This is a state-of-the-art approach to analysis that is unique to Zengar, with no other brain training system offering this capability– even if they claim to be “non-linear”. Further contributing to NeurOptimal®’s superior precision is an extremely high rate of sampling coupled with extraordinary precision of filtering, targeting and triggering of feedback. The data of other systems (you can import their data and look at it in NeurOptimal® Professional) looks incredibly “smeary” in comparison, when viewed through the sharp eye of NeurOptimal®. Furthermore, because of NeurOptimal®s Adaptive De-Noising Technology, feedback is provided up to 64Hz and includes time-frequency envelopes invented by Zengar and unique to the industry.

https://neuroptimal.com/learn/neuroptimal-features/#1472837450275-3bd684a2-f4fd

Process Variability

Most neurofeedback systems try to train the brain to produce more or less of something, based on norms in the population. But the brain exhibits Process Variability, in simple terms meaning it does NOT demonstrate absolute values for the “amount” of brain activity required for specific functions. Rather, this varies from person to person, determined by the task in which the person is engaged, the time of day, blood sugar levels, recent amount of rest and sleep, overall health, genetics and so on. So trying to train the brain to levels decided by an “expert” based on a diagnosis or on an evaluation, or on a test showing one moment in time maybe weeks earlier, or on symptoms experienced by the person during the week that is all done in linear neurofeedback process, is not, we believe, aligned with the body’s innate process of learning!

Functional Targeting

Instead, we utilize Functional Targeting, which is how NeurOptimal® provides the brain with the crucial information about itself (the mirror), that we have discussed before. There is a dynamic range of variability within different “Time-Frequency Envelopes” (see our Cartography of Conciousness HERE) that determines the optimal balance for each individual. NeurOptimal® dances with the brain where it is, micro-second by micro-second, allowing it to carry out its own re-organization. This can result in powerful changes that show up in all areas of your life. In contrast, a linear neurofeedback system is more likely to be less effective while triggering unwanted side effects. This is because the brain’s “ideal” ongoing processes cannot be accurately determined through diagnosis or evaluation.

Results

Given the above assumptions, NeurOptimal® Dynamical Neurofeedback™ does not attempt to restore brain function to some presumed “average” or “best” level based on other people, such as comparing your brain to a database. Instead, NeurOptimal® provides YOUR central nervous system with accurate information about ITSELF which allows the brain to assemble its own, best organizing strategies moment by moment.

https://neuroptimal.com/learn/dynamical-neurofeedback/

So, it might be true that they do not train brain frequencies up or down, but there is certainly something that they train up or down in the brain, because that's the whole point of neurofeedback. But to understand how this exactly works you would have to sing-up for their certification training:

Certification training can be provided if desired (to learn more about the mathematical underpinnings of the process)

https://neuroptimal.com/neuroptimalbusinessbook

The NeurOptimal system is, so far, the one that I find the most interesting, primarily due to its not needing or using a diagnosis, the ability to self-administer treatments, and because it appears to not push the brain in a specific direction.

As far as I can tell, qEEG diagnoses basically compare the brain to levels that are considered "normal", however it's not clear to me how "normal" was determined and it leaves me wondering if it's like blood-work, where there's a "normal" range that may not really have anything to do with health or optimal functioning. It also appears to be a momentary snap-shot of the brain and so may not even be indicative of the normal brain function of the person, yet the test protocol is then based on that. From this (again, as far as I can tell and I'm still early in my own research on the topic), the practitioner creates a protocol to attempt to alter the person's brain function to be closer in line with the "normal" qEEG benchmarks through feedback that rewards when the brain is in the area desired and non-rewards when the brain is not.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but to me, it raises a lot of questions, particularly on how "normal" is being defined in qEEG terms, and also on how the brain is moving into the supposedly desired states--for example, perhaps someone who is considered ADD/ADHD lacks focus and so the goal is to enhance focus in the brain, but perhaps this is done by basically elevating stress levels resulting in a person who is indeed more focused, but also more stressed, resulting in a side-effect, essentially. In addition, since it requires a knowledgeable practitioner, the practitioner themselves becomes a factor to the success of the treatment, which adds complexity and increases the possibility of issues and side-effects. So those are my main areas of concern with qEEG based neurofeedback.

The biggest areas of concern I have with the NeurOptimal device are that, as far as I can tell, it's a bit of a black box and so it's not exactly clear on how it's deciding to administer its feedback, there aren't a lot of third-party reviews (mostly testimonials, which I always take with a grain of salt), and there doesn't appear to be a lot of research on it. That said, what I've found so far in terms of reviews and testimonials are overall positive, with it appearing to not work for a very small portion of people, and I haven't yet come across anything that's actually negative, so the overall information I've found so far is certainly potentially promising and worth a test.

There is a fairly sizable page of testimonials from a practitioner in Colorado that have a number of positive results:
http://www.boulderneurofeedback.com/resources/client-comments/

There's also a practitioner in New York who has some videos of client testimonials:
https://newyorkneurofeedback.com/tag/neuroptimal-reviews/

Dave Aspery, the Bulletproof Coffee guy, is also selling it on his site, which has a few reviews. He also has another neurofeedback program that he offers as seemingly a side-project called "40 years of Zen" that's a $15k week long intensive program. It sounds a little strange and mysterious--there's an article about it here:
https://thebaffler.com/latest/silicon-valleys-futuristic-mega-zen-brain-machine

And the product with reviews are here:
https://www.bulletproof.com/neuroptimal-personal-trainer-bundle

There's also a lengthy thread on the Bulletproof forum on it, that includes some people's experiences as well as some posts from practitioners:
https://forum.bulletproof.com/discussion/3682/neuroptimal

The whole thread is worth reading for anyone who wants to try it I think, but here are the more relevant excerpts (I've compiled some reviews from the same person in multiple posts into one quote block):

I went to my first session last week because there was a groupon for it. I got three sessions for 55 bucks. Definitely low enough for me to check it out.

After a half hour it felt like I was cramming for an exam all day. I had used up a lot of resources in that short time even though I was just listening to music and watching a screen.

Later on I felt a pressure in the front of my brain but it didn't really hurt. I had the day off and just relaxed but the weirdest thing is that I started drawing just because I was bored instead of just turning on the tv. The next day I woke up exactly like a minute before my alarm was going to go off and was very alert and ready to go. I have felt a difference since.
My second session was a lot more intense, I could here the clicking sounds that signal your brain more frequently. It is a serious brain work out, I was focused for a couple hours afterwards but after awhile it felt like I just did a double shift at a restaurant. Im taking fish oil, coconut and butter before training next time to try make it smoother. I had trouble sleeping that night which is the opposite effect that most people have.

A lot of you won't believe this and I don't care if you do or don't, but after this second session I can see aura's again. It's been a few years since I have. Totally was not expecting that.

More normal improvements include talking more fluidly while using more of my vocabulary, more motivation out of the blue, forward planning, and memory retention. I've noticed increased dream recall as well as more educational and vivid dreams.
My third experience I actually almost fell asleep. My body is getting used to it a little more. I really didn't get any significant breakthroughs on the third session but I certainly did feel better. I am still sleeping a hell of a lot better and dream recall and intensity is increased. I am still more articulate, focused, and determined than before the sessions. I am reluctant to pay 95 a pop for sessions but I think my practitioner might make a deal with me. I can't imagine what I would be like with 10 sessions. Psychic, whiz kid, or sax virtuoso come to mind.

Nothing has effected me this greatly in my life and I am about 10 years into self help, meditation, and alternative/cutting edge health. This and implementing bulletproof concepts, it is hard to say how much my brain would have responded without all the fats I am now giving it. I can often times feel my brain reorganizing.

A couple of caveats however. First is the bulletproof thing. I guarantee I would not be in the same place mentally even with neuroptimal. Second, I am going with Dave's ejaculation once a month thing which has changed my thinking and performance incredibly. I am on month two and feel no need to 'release' anything. I feel totally at peace with it and it motivates me to go out and talk with girls.

So as with all of us there are a lot of factors at work, especially if our bodies are responding to new things, but I think neuroptimal definitely has it's place and deserves the acclaim Dave has afforded it.
I definitely had my stuttering improved by NO. My confidence and fluency in speech has increased dramatically. I can't believe it myself sometimes. I have done 13 sessions so far and while it has tapered off a bit from the original leaps and bounds, I think it is cheap and effective enough to try out and see if it works for you. Right now I feel like I have to get to a better place from a detox, nutrition, and exercise standpoint to gain anymore benefits. In my particular case I will exercise and supplement for mitochondria support and neurogenesis before I continue any treatment. I think neurofeedback is a perfect adjunct to heavy metal detox in that it gets you through those tough times. When the metals are coming out and you are really feeling like shit or like nothing matters, the training lets you bounce back more quickly from setbacks.

My trainer was talking about how NO operates on Heartmath mathematics. I haven't the foggiest on how that works but some of you might figure it out.
Thanks for the write up Native Humanoid and HZA for mentioning LENS.

That is definitely the next thing I am going to try. I too have seen a drop off in results after just 10 sessions. I feel like a refresher gets me only to a certain point but not much more than that. I am so impressed by my results in general though that I really want to go into providing neurofeedback for people. Perhaps having both LENS and NO would be a good basis for this? Throw in Dave's Brain Trainer and some dietary suggestions and I think it would be a winning formula. The closest LENS provider is in Springfield MO so it might be awhile before I try it. {More info on LENS below}

I have been to more than 20 sessions with a NeurOptimal neurofeedback trainer in Colorado. I had the most incredible experience my FIRST session. It was borderline psychedelic. My eyes were closed and I was visualizing my brain, mind, and awareness becoming as massive as the sky. I had all sorts of mental sensations that I could actually feel was my brain getting bigger and stronger. None of this was as a result of any effort on my part. I was just sitting there listening to the music and all these amazing perceptions and sensations began to occur.

I went home after the session and before i knew it had studied uninterrupted for more than 4 hours. I have been diagnosed with ADHD so this is literally something that I have never done before. After I had realized how much time had gone by I was in disbelief. Normally I go about 10-15 minutes between mental distractions and whatnot.

The following day I took the exam that I had been studying for and I finished the exam before 3/4 of the class. Again I sat there in disbelief because (and I do not exaggerate one bit here) I am ALWAYS either the last or second to last person to leave the room on test days. I normally get distracted every other question and end up racing to finish at the end. After just one neurofeedback session these were my results. I got hooked and did 19 more sessions.

Other amazing results: no more songs stuck in your head (for real that shit goes away real quick), I fall asleep much much faster, I am much less reactionary (no more crazy thought-out hypothetical scenarios in your head)
I absolutely recommend it to everybody. This technology should be in every school, hospital, prison, session of Congress etc... It truly is amazing.

Sorry if I sound preachy but it has helped me so much.

For those who are interested in people's results with NeurOptimal, there's a therapist who did her PhD studying the effects of Neuroptimal on ~30 or so of her clients:

https://www.zengar.com/files/File/research/cochrane-final.pdf

You can read her results section (page 97) for detailed discussion of the changes her clients experienced, and the appendix (page 145) has a detailed list of each client's observations of their subjective experience and changes noticed throughout their training.

Generally, it seems like most clients experienced significant positive change, albeit with some bumps in the road.

I'm not sure how closely associated she is with Zengar, whether she was funded by them or whatever - it seems like there are definite ties, so do take it with a pinch of salt. Nevertheless, it's a seemingly well-done piece of research.

I had one free intro session and want to do more. One interesting thing is that for the last 6 weeks I lost the ability to jump rope at the end of some of my workouts. I kept tripping over the rope. After doing one session of NeurOptimal on the 13th I felt the world to be a little more vibrant and after I got home I pulled out the jump rope and I was able to jump again. Not perfectly but way better than I had been doing the past 6 weeks.

I am actually a NeurOptimal trainer in the Bay Area. I have 3 offices where I see clients around the bay.

NeurOptimal changed my life. I found out about NO when I was suffering from anxiety, depression, insomnia and chemo brain after going through cancer treatments. After about 6-8 sessions of NO I started to see all of these issues just melting away. It was and incredible transformation!

I have seen such amazing results with all of my clients.

After monitoring this thread and listening to the Val Brown podcast {I think he means this one, but I haven't listened to it yet: https://blog.bulletproof.com/54-neurofeedback-technology-best-biohack-yet-with-dr-valdeane-brown-podcast/ }, I decided to rent NO for a month before taking the $5.5k plunge. I've done five of my planned 30 sessions. Definitely keeps my mind from jumping around as much but I'm not seeing any benefit in my Sudoku or N-Back. I'm seeing more benefit in the subjective areas (work performance and family life) but I think those areas are more susceptible to a placebo effect with a cash outlay of this size. Thus, far I'd definitely choose my Upgraded Brain Trainer over NO. {I believe the Upgraded Brain Trainer was a device that Bulletproof used to sell, but no longer does}

Firstly, they say it doesn't up-train any particular frequency. What it does is give feedback when there is "turbulence" in the brain. Basically, they model the brain as a non-linear dynamical system, and in that framework, turbulence precedes state transitions. In the brain, a state transition equates to a different neural network becoming dominant. So NO essentially tells your brain "you're about to change states..." and your brain learns from that information (and decides whether it really wants to go into the state it was heading towards, given the present-moment conditions).

I just did my first session with a friend of mine through angmartinucci, who posted earlier in this thread.

The experience is hard to quantify as there are so many variables in our everyday life, but we did feel charged and clear after the session. on the drive home I noticed that I was a little giddy and silly and found it a little easier to focus on mundane things without getting bored. My friend and I had the observation that it felt like we had a marijuana high, without the negative side effects. I also felt like I had the full arsenal of energy and brain power at my disposal.

Many of the changes involved in going bulletproof have left me with tons of energy and brain power, but I found that channeling this energy has been difficult. From one session it's too early to tell if our feeling had anything to do with NeurOptimal or not, but it feels promising.

As for negative side effects, both of us felt a mild headache afterwards and I had trouble sleeping last night. I plan on taking some Alpha GPC before the session next time to see if that prevents the headache. And as for the sleep, I have a 4 month old in my bedroom, so it's hard to blame NeurOptimal for sure.

I know it's an older thread but as a NeurOptimal trainer I wanted to clear up a few inaccuracies in earlier posts.

When one purchases a professional system, there is no limit to the number of sessions you can perform. The system comes with a 6-month membership to PASS, the very rich resource of webinars, documents, forums (historical and ongoing) and customer service available to paying members. PASS membership is not mandatory for using your system. After the 6 months of free PASS membership it's entirely up to you whether or not you continue.

As to the person who indicated "Neuroptimal trains 12-16 hz, then 8-12 hz and finally 6-8 hz during a session" this is entirely inaccurate. There are 8 different target areas encompassing 0-42 Hz on both hemispheres (16 total) that are all being targeted throughout the entire session. That is a huge brain workout.

I've been training brains using NeurOptimal for over a year now and the benefits it's brought me and my family in terms of our better brain health may only be surpassed by the phenomenal changes I've seen taking place in my clients - from ADHD to stress to sensory processing disorder to insomnia to Tourette's to panic disorders. So many people have received so much relief. I strongly encourage anyone interested in this crazy great brain hack to get to www.zengar.com to find a trainer near you.
Since NeurOptimal is entirely non-diagnostic, you don't need a doctor/specialist to hook you up and prescribe a routine of treatment for you and you don't need that QEEG brainmap. Traditional neurofeedback systems require a professional to "diagnose" an individual for whatever is wrong in their lives, then push the brain to follow a set of protocols to match that diagnosis. These systems reward you when your brain is operating in the zone it's supposed to be working in (e.g., video car moves faster or the movie is full screen) and inhibit your reward system when your brain is not in that zone (movie gets smaller and/or harder to hear or car slows down/stops).

NeurOptimal is entirely personal, adjusting to your brain's electrical output 256 times a second to help your brain maintain its optimal state of responsiveness. There is no set protocol - with a single placement of two scalp sensors and three ear sensors, the system is tuned in to your brain throughout 16 targeted areas of electrical output to find a center range in each target. When the brain generates electricity indicating that it's shifting states to outside its center range in a target, a stall, pop or click in the audio (many are actually inaudible, working subconsciously) tells your brain "you just went there". It's merely telling the brain what it just did. Over time, the brain learns to stay more centered to keep away from those pops and clicks. That translates in real time to your brain avoiding those states that cause discomfort and stress. Suddenly it becomes more and more interesting to do things that are healthy for the brain, less and less attractive to do things that aren't beneficial. So without medical intervention at all, you lose stress and gain a lot healthier life - just from being told what your brain just did in sessions.

Bonus - in the old school diagnose and push systems, if you fall asleep, you are awakened as soon as possible. My son's trainer (Cygnet system) told me that if kids fall asleep, it's just a very expensive nap. With NeurOptimal, training continues regardless of whether you're awake. I have many clients who come in and nap outright in my office and are getting tremendous benefits from their training. With the other neurofeedback systems you need to carefully attend to the screen and try to maintain a state. With NeurOptimal, I have clients who sit in the chair playing with putty to find toys, playing video games on computers or phones, reading, chatting, writing emails or drawing and all of theses people have achieved better states. The NeurOptimal protocol is to just relax and either watch the screen or sit quietly with eyes closed and that may be optimal, but in my experience it doesn't matter what they do as long as the system is hooked up.

Around this point in the thread, there's some debate about why NeurOptimal is including computers with their software. My take: it's a pricey addition that probably reduces their tech support costs.

I've been involved in the field of biofeedback for over 20 years, with the last 15years specifically using Neurofeedback technologies. My preference across systems has been Neuroptimal for multiple reasons, though each does have it's place and as a field are all radically beneficial even if there are some degrees of limitations per design.

I had chronic anxiety and stress induced fatigue and at the start of this year, a severe nervous breakdown. So I invested in this stuff as I saw it the most rational way to handle these challenges, because I had tried therapy and a lot of other things, and nothing really worked, and I'm against medication, because I believe they numb down the senses, but don't fix the problem.

So after the first session, I felt a weird ease - got a little pain in my front head and dizziness.. but felt energetic and hopeful, that this might just work out.

The initial 3 weeks passed, that the trainer suggested for me to just observe what is happening with my moods, focus, sleep etc. Well, it went downhill - I still felt like s*it. So, he said - come again, because the session might have stirred up some stuff - he said it's really common, and you should be ready for that. {There aren't many reports on this, but it may be like Iodine in that it "stirs things up", so something to be aware of as a possibility}

So I did. In short, during a period of 2 months, I visited the practitioner for 10 times or so.

I need to mention, that they store data about all the people using their services, so they can check the progress.. (because, the real work is between sessions. The sessions only give info to the brain that it can use to work those things out). After the 10-something sessions, they said, that my brain is working much better, and I can stop visiting them - although, there's no harm of extra sessions of course.

So, at the moment, I don't have anxiety in the morning and before going to sleep, like I used to. I can control my focus much better, and I just don't get stressed out as easy. I have made plans for the upcoming 2 years (planning was a big issue previously - I basically was living from day to day)

I m planing to purchase the personal bundle, to give it to my close family and friends, because I really see the long term benefits this can bring. Of course the price is pretty high.. but, I think of it as a investment in the future.

As to some superhuman powers that I have claimed - I'm sorry to tell, increased focus and not worrying about stupid stuff that are long gone, are the main benefits I've gotten.

In short - It's like a cleaning of the Cache memory in a computer. This is not an upgrade of the processor or a new software. For those things, you need to check other products and services.

To the best of my understanding, there are some pretty solid obstacles in the way of getting scientific research for NO, the 2 most obvious ones being funding and secrecy. Somebody has to pay for a study, and if NO isn't willing to shell out for it, and instead rely on word of mouth and customer testimonials, that's a pretty understandable business decision. Plus, a real study would necessitate full disclosure of their process, and as a matter of self-protection Zengar appears unwilling to publish that information. Also perfectly sensible.

The best summary that I think I've ever heard anywhere goes something like: Most nfb helps most people most of the time. That includes all the major methods and approaches--if you pick a protocol and stick with it, most likely you'll come away from it better off than before. But for every protocol and device, there are always some people who don't noticeably benefit from it. Then there are a handful who might actually come out a little worse. I can't think of many therapeutic or self-improvement oriented programs that can claim a better outcome than that. Just look at medicine in general--it's the same story, most people benefit, but a lot don't, and some people even die from treatment.

Zengar should just come out and say, look, there's a chance this won't do anything for you. That's not anybody's fault or shortcoming, it's just how it is. They won't divulge how their system works, and since the trainers aren't privy to that information either, when the occasional customer reports no success, the trainer really has nothing to fall back on except whatever blanket explanation Zengar provides to cover such situations. "Extrinsic constraint" sounds like just that.

That said, the feedback I've read on NO suggests that people get an idea within the first session or two whether it's helping or not, and compared to a lot of other approaches that can save quite a bit of money up front if it works out for you. The average seems to be about $100 per session, and when you consider that there isn't that much to do on the front end like expensive qEEGs and etc, that's not a bad deal.

Ok guys. I just had my first NO session:

I've been really depressed the last few weeks to be honest after breaking up with my girlfriend. Sometimes I see some light and then fall right back into it...some really dark thoughts.

The first I notice after NO is I'm upbeat. In much higher spirits than before I went in. I don't know if the change of state is from NO, placebo or having a chat to the woman in charge of NO. Maybe all three?

My mind was chaos before I went in. Now it is much calmer and attentive.

The last page of the thread tends to have reviews of people not getting any results from the NeurOptimal, with one getting some negative results that ended up turning into rather significant positive results:

Hi folks, FYI I did 6 NO sessions over 4 weeks. I did feel pretty chilled out after each training session, but who doesn't feel relaxed after a 35 minute meditation? Personally I've noticed zero changes to any aspect of my life experience. Maybe there's something wrong with me - the trainer said I'm one of only a few he has known to have no perceivable results (positive or otherwise) and that perhaps I have some major issue that stops the NO from being integrated.

I rented a NO system recently and have done 25 sessions so far. My goals were to reduce symptoms of anxiety (esp social) and better attention span. I have also tried traditional neurofeedback.

In my personal experience, NO did not lead to any significant gains. The only discernible effect for me is a sense of relaxation that lasted a while (an houre) after the session. But, the effect was so subtle that it may well have been placebo. I have heard that effects of NO accumulate slowly over time while others claim that they see a big change immediately after first few sessions. I am yet to see either.

This particular report by jcampdog7 is quite interesting because he initially has a worsening of symptoms, but then improves significantly:

Has anyone experienced any negative side effects from NeurOptimal Neurofeedback? I suffer from insomnia, severe ADHD with tics/outbursts, headaches, borderline Bi-polar disorder and overall anxiety and depression. I had found an incredible deal through a Groupon (I offered to pay in house to get 20 sessions for 445.00 here in Colorado). I was so hyped up after reading the reviews and overall positive affirmations of NO. Well, I'm on my 10th session and the only positive benefit I noticed is I sleep better when I do it. However, I have noticed the littlest thing sets me off now and I have literally no threshold for stress (I had very little to begin with). I have increased headaches since beginning NeurOptimal, but worse yet, I literally go into rages at my children daily and I'm actually scaring myself at this point. I had wanted my son (who is also severe ADHD) to do some sessions since the price was amazing at 25.00 a session, but now he said it seems I've become worse and he doesn't want to do any Neuroptimal Neurofeedback training as it scares him that he will ultimately be worse if it does to him what it might be doing to me?!?!?!

I am so confused and I don't understand this at all!?! I've only read of people having either positive results or no results with Neuroptimal since it supposedly trains the brain in real time. However, I have never read about someone having increased daily anxiety, anger and outbursts of rage AFTER doing NeurOptimal.

I am going to go by faith and finish my 20 sessions (10 more), but if anyone has any information I would appreciate it. I am just so upset about this and frankly I cannot beleive this is even happening! I'm praying and hoping positive shifts start happening soon!
So, I have to give an update about my experience with Neuroptimal. I was really worried since I feared I was getting worse, but I ended up talking to an energy practitioner who also has a NO machine and she told me it's actually somewhat normal what I was experiencing, especially if I had any major trauma from my past (which I did with my sister committing suicide 5 years ago amongst other things). She said I needed to try and release the pain truly forgive and let go what NO was bringing up to the surface. So, for the next 20 sessions (I did a total of 30 sessions for $700-a total steal) I combined Dr. Alex Loyd's Healing Code and Beyond Willpower Energy Medicine Methods with the Neuroptimal and all I know is it must have supercharged it because this has changed me as a person.

For starters, I no longer have much anxiety at ALL! I don't get mad quickly and have a thousand times more patience than I had before with my kids. Things now just roll off of me and I don't take things so personally (I no longer have a victim mentality), I can keep my house clean pretty much effortlessly, whereas before it was an exhausting production to even try and get started on tasks. I no longer procrastinate to the degree (really bad prior) I did before and I just don't put things off like I used to, but instead just get them done without stress. My food cravings have diminished dratstically and I'm able to actually sit still and feel things out regarding eating something that doesn't agree with me and stop eating it without anxiety, vs. compulsively putting bad unhealthy things in my mouth because of stress and not even being aware of it.

Also, a HUUUUGE thing for me, is that I not only sleep better, but this has turned me into a morning person effortlessly. I was literally ALWAYS a night owl and dreaded mornings my entire life! It feels absolutely AMAZING to not only be able to get up at 5/6 am, but also to actually be in a good mood and energetically excited for the day! I used to never mentally wake up until about 10am, even if I physically had to get up at 7. This alone is an absolute miracle in my life!!!

The best part is though, in a wierd way I feel like a young kid newly exploring the world again and I'm 35?! I guess it could be that my depression is gone, so I can see the world clearer and in a more positive light. I feel like people are "nicer and happier," but I realize it's my outlook that has changed. Also, this has reignited my love for music and I was actually able to one time "see" the music as notes playing on a page.

Pretty amazing if you ask me! I'm highly considering contuning on and renting the machine for another 10 sessions and then even buying one for my family. This has seriously changed my life!

I did in excess of 50 extended sessions over a few months (roughly a couple of years ago) with fairly marginal substantial effects. I think if I had spent the equivalent amount of time meditating (which I've done sporadically for years), I would have achieved just as much, at far less cost. I suspect this situation is somewhat like nootropics, where there is a wide and very variable range of response/utility for different noots across differing groups of people.

If you want to moderately supercharge your brain (versus remediate various conditions), there may be much better choices.

Ok so i've done 10 sessions on myself so far. Initial feedback: My insomnia has pretty much cleared up which is INSANE. I was on SSRI's for about 5 years, i spent the last year and a half coming off them with varying success due to crippling anxiety. Managed to completely stop them for about 6 months now but my sleep has been a mess ever since. Typically waking up 5+ times a night. Waking up 1-2 hours before my alarm and staying awake etc. I don't know how or why but this has seriously improved my sleep. I'm actually sleeping throughout the night now. There have been other factors/changes i've made in the past month that have either slightly or greatly contributed to this though, Firstly is the reduction in caffeine. I have either one cup in the morning or no caffeine at all where before i'd typically have 1-2 cups of coffee every day. I also adopted the Wim Hof breathing techniques twinned with cold showers, the nights where i'd have a cold shower before bed proved best thanks to the lowered core temperature.

Along with the increase in sleep quality i've regained some of my lost creativity and drive i was lacking last year and definitely have an increased sense of self, this could be due to the software itself or the fact it's essentially forcing me to meditate or at-least switch off for 33 minutes each session.

Super impressed already and I've not even hit the suggested 15-20 sessions.

I knew going in it's different for everyone and outcomes vary, usually the baseline changes are noticeable though, sleep being the first to change.

I'll be keeping the sessions up whilst working to offer sessions out to clients should there be a market for it. I'm just keen to try it out on as many friends and family as i can for now to get more confident in seeing the results firsthand over some forum or paper.

One user discusses another approach called TAGSync (Theta Alpha Gamma (TAG) Synchrony by Douglas Dailey), which is described here as:
https://forum.bulletproof.com/discussion/7290/alternative-to-neuroptimal-neurofeedback#entry78515

Fundamentally, he's synchronizing the alpha, or theta, and then later, gamma brain waves in 2 different regions of the brain (initially, front and back). This will cause the brain to go through what he calls "phase resets" which, based on the research he cites, is the essential component of addressing imbalances or impacts of various stressors in life.

Hey guys, I have used both Neuroptimal and the neurofeedback protocol known as theta-alpha-gamma synchrony (TAGsync for short) and I have to say, TAGsync kicks NO in the metaphorical butt. And NO was not insignificant for me. If you're interested, I've just written a brief write-up of my experience over on this thread { http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/7290-alternative-to-neuroptimal-neurofeedback/#entry78515 - This reviewer appears to only be the only person from that thread who has tried the TAGsync device, with the link containing more info. }. I wish I'd found this sooner myself, especially before someone goes and spends all that cash on an approach limited in both efficacy and extended usability ie NO. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

I haven't delved into researching the TAGsync yet, however the website is here:
https://www.tagsync.com/

And they do appear to have device kits that can be purchased here:
https://www.mindsupplies.com/

They also bring up LENS (Low Energy Neurofeedback System) in the thread, which is another neurofeedback system that appears to do electro neuro-stimulation, not just feedback, with very short sessions that last somewhere around just 5 minutes:
https://www.site.ochslabs.com/about

I spoke with a NO provider who said that LENS was actually a better option as it was (from what it sounded like they were saying) a stronger option. They did both systems.

They said that they were dealing with some issues with a patient and ten sessions with NO did nothing, whereas one session with LENS nixed it.

One user says NeurOptimal and LENS produced the best results for them:

I learned the hard way (in terms of time and money) that (for myself) NO + LENS (low energy neurofeedback) is much more powerful/effective than just NO alone (see below). I wish I'd done very much more web searching about such things before purchasing my personal NO system. I still think NO is a wonderful (albeit over-hyped) technology, and that everyone should try it out but knowing what I've learned since, I'd recommend renting a NO system for a month to do a dozen sessions or so, while also trying out at least one other neurofeedback approach.

So far, I haven't yet found any really solid evidence that ANY (widely-used) tool in this arena is universally effective (versus effective for 70%-90% of the population, in terms of getting them 50%-90% of what they want). I suspect this is also more widely true than is generally realized/acknowledged for NO. I think that for many people, some complementary approaches may much more effective when used in combination with NO. But I'm by no means an expert. Just sayin', buyer beware.

While I've personally found NO definitely had some very substantial positive value (reduced sleep time, greatly increased ability to get high HRV scores, plus a few other relatively modest but still valuable improvements), I've also found that after the first 10-20 sessions, NO's utility seems to be pretty negligible in terms of any further results. NO never had any apparent impact on DNB progress, etc. I suspect the rapidly diminishing utility of NO sessions (at least for performance-increasing oriented biohacking) is more widely true than is generally realized.

The most common attitudes/responses to such concerns (by Zengar and many NO trainers) seems to be that you should take it on faith that continuing optimization is happening subconsciously, and that you drop your expectations. That seems a little bit too cultish and too self-serving, especially so after having done an additional 20 sessions beyond the initial ones that produced the observed results, without there being any further apparent benefits. Isn't that a long enough period of faith?

Likewise, as someone who spent $5,500 for NO because "40 years of Zen" was unaffordable, and the NO personal system seemed be the next best thing in the meantime (unless I greatly misunderstood bulletproof posts/podcasts), I'm not about to drop my expectations that doing lots of additional sessions should produce some sort of consciously evident result. Indeed, for all I know, my unconscious mind just made me say that. :-)

Also, my unconscious mind seems to enjoy mocking my conscious mind by triggering occasional "revelations of the obvious". Here is one of the more recent examples of that: Zengar has an extremely negative/disparaging attitude about using positive feedback for neurofeedback training, and places great stock in the brain's self-organizing capability as a dynamical system. (Unlike Dave Aspprey, they disparage HRV feedback training on such grounds.) If (psychological) safety and fully automatic control is your top concern (as it probably should be for consumer neurofeedback systems), it makes great sense to design a system that exclusively works that way.

However, as a math major who once delved into dynamical system theory for a while, I should have immediately realized the obvious fact that there can be many cases where NO's sort of elegant negative feedback will not be very effective in overcoming some sorts of (very crudely, metaphorically speaking) deep ruts, misaligned steering, stuck cruise control settings, etc. In such situations, judiciously employed positive feedback can be very valuable, or even essential. From the very sketchy explanations of NO that I've found, NO feedback is done on the threshold of instabilities, so NO seems to be very limited in what it can do about undesirable cases of too much stability that aren't readily dynamically accessible from the sorts of instabilities that NO does negative feedback tweaks on. NO can still do a lot, but it could do a lot more in many cases if positive feedback were sometimes employed.

These experiences/considerations prompted me to look into other neurofeedback approaches, and to peruse additional books and papers. The most interesting item I found was an interesting book on LENS (low energy neurofeedback): "The Healing Power of Neurofeedback: The Revolutionary LENS Technique for Restoring Optimal Brain Function" by Stephen Larsen. (I got it through interlibrary loan, but you can also find it on Amazon). LENS was especially interesting, because it seemed like the most complementary approach for augmenting NO, and for synergizing with it.

I subsequently tried a few LENS sessions, which had some very mild yet very subjectively profound positive effects along the lines of increased quiet focused general alertness, which is something I imagine might be the first of many steps in the direction of "40 years of Zen". I also made a surprising advance in my DNB ability (which has been surprisingly challenging to substantially improve much). Also, the subjective effects of aniracetam and phenylpiracetam (especially after bulletproof coffee) have become much more pronounced (versus slightly noticeable before), and I'm cutting back on them.

There was one more pleasant surprise with LENS: NO sessions now seem to have some effect again, although it will take a bunch more sessions to really be sure. So I've decided to postpone selling off my NO system for a while.

I will also be trying at least a few more LENS sessions. (I located my local provider through http://ochslabsinc.wix.com/ochslabs/.) {This appears to be the current URL: https://www.site.ochslabs.com/about }

Overall, it sounds like most people have positive results with the NeurOptimal system (with a good amount being fairly significant), while the next largest amount of have some positive results, and a few have either none or complicated results.

Since it's possible to rent the system in the US, I think I'm going to be looking into that next.

Back
Top Bottom