Mysterious Wisconsin Wonder Spot

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THIS IS?

From the article:
The village wants to build a road through the crevice where the Wonder Spot has stood since the 1950s.
What a great idea...
Insurance companies will soon exclude accidents on this road.

Azur said:
I've been to this place, it really DOES seem like you are going uphill. I was 7 years old and it was just a dirt road (not "developed" like it is now).
I've been to a similar place, that was also called "Magnetic Hill", though that one is in New Brunswick (apparently there are a lot of spots called Magnetic Hill). In my case too it seemed to be something else than an optical illusion. A book i read several years ago claimed that people disappeared at an unusual rate around there (can't remember the name, but that book also made quite a few harebrained claims).

Anyways if I ever get a chance to go there again I'll bring a water level and a camera.

Azur said:
Anyways if I ever get a chance to go there again I'll bring a water level and a camera.
When you say "water level" do you mean like.. literally, a glass of water? It seems that that might do the trick.

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
When you say "water level" do you mean like.. literally, a glass of water? It seems that that might do the trick.
"Water level" is the name of the thingy with little glas tubes filled with water in it. :D
An air bubble is floating in them in such a way that you can see if the surface you have put it on is horizontal or if it is an inclined plane.

Yep. Though a glass of water would do the job too, and might be easier to get...

The problem with the "water level" idea though, now that I think about it, is if there really was gravity distortion, then the water in the "water level" would also be pulled in a distorted direction just like the people, so the result wouldn't show you a true horizontal plane - it would simply show where the center of gravity is coming from in that particular spot. But, the way to verify this is just to look at the water level in an area where it's supposedly "normal" without any gravitational distortion, and then look at the water level IN the supposed "gravity distortion" area, and compare whether the 2 water levels are tilted the exact same way, or whether water in one of them is tilted in a different way than in the other. That might be a bit tricky to check though.

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
The problem with the "water level" idea though, now that I think about it, is if there really was gravity distortion, then the water in the "water level" would also be pulled in a distorted direction just like the people, so the result wouldn't show you a true horizontal plane - it would simply show where the center of gravity is coming from in that particular spot.
I really think the tilted walls/tilted trees optical illusion type stuff is behind all this but yes to check this you would need more than just the "water level", you'd need something like the angle between the "water level" and a heavenly body in both the wierd location and a nearby normal location checked at nearly the same time and you'd have be facing the same direction for both measurements and I'm probably leaving out something.

Back
Top Bottom