More WWII crazyness

dantem

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Following the lines of that Guardian's article, also posted on SOTT.

Churchill proposed 'three for one' bombing of German villages in retaliation for massacre of Czech civilians

I come up to a site describing something about the German Village:

Berlin's Skeleton in Utah's Closet

All scattered lies Berlin.
Gunter Grass

Berlin's most far-flung, secret, and orphan suburb sits in the saltbrush desert about ninety miles southwest of Salt Lake City. "German Village," as it is officially labeled on declassified maps of the US Army's Dugway Proving Ground, is the remnant of a much larger, composite German/Japanese "doomtown" constructed by Standard Oil in 1943. It played a crucial role in the New Deal's last great public works project: the incineration of the cities of eastern Germany and Japan.

In 1997, the Army allowed me to briefly tour German Village with a dozen of my students from the Southern California Institute of Architecture. Dugway, it should be pointed out, is slightly bigger than Rhode Island and more toxically contaminated than the Nuclear Test Site in nearby Nevada. As the devil's own laboratory for three generations of US chemical, incendiary, and biological weapons, it has always been shrouded in official secrecy and Cold War myth. The threat of base restructuring, however, has prompted the Army to mount a small public relations campaign on Dugway's behalf. Since napalm, botulism, and binary nerve gas are not conventional tourist attractions, Dugway Proving Ground instead extolls its preservation of an original section of the Lincoln Highway.[2] Most visitors are pioneer-motoring enthusiasts who come to admire the decrepit, one-lane bridge that fords a swampy patch in Baker Area, not far from the controversial bio-warfare lab, guarded by a double perimeter of razor wire, where the Army tinkers with Andromeda strains.

German Village is a dozen or so miles farther west, in a sprawling maze of mysterious test sites and target areas which Dugway's commander is not eager to add to the visitor itinerary. He relented only when we convinced his press office that the Village had an important aura that might enhance "base heritage": It was designed by one of Modernism's gods, the German-Jewish architect Eric Mendelsohn.
Interesting lecture (sic) starting from here

Firebomb
How to Stop Worrying and Love the Incendiary Bomb

I was on the island of Guam. In [chief of staff of the Strategic Air Forces in the Pacific during World War II General Curtis E. LeMay's] command, in March of 1945, in that single night, we burned to death 100,000 Japanese civilians in Tokyo -- men, women, and children. I was part of a mechanism that in a sense recommended it. I analyzed bombing operations, and how to make them more efficient -- i.e. not more efficient in the sense of killing more but more efficient in weakening the advisary. ... I don't want to suggest that it was I that put into LeMay's mind that his operations were totally ineffecient ... but anyhow that's what he did ... he decided to bomb with firebombs. ... Fifty square miles of Tokyo were burned.
Robert McNamara

Back
Top Bottom