Michael Ende's 'Momo' - an allegory for Laura & the C's?

Re: Michael Ende's 'Momo' - an allegory for Laura & the C's?

Hi Atuya,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Atuya said:
I've not read the book, and only just discovered it while reading this thread, but from the descriptions and observations posted above it seems that this is a documented case of 'past-future communication' manifested on the BBM.

Given the particulars of the book and the subject matter itself, maybe we have before us a clear case of past-future communication via consciousness. Could it be that the work around the Cassiopaeans in the 21st century has created a beacon of light in the not so distant past? Perhaps the positive growth of this network NOW has put roots into the THEN, literally and literarily?

Maybe you can read the book to gain a broader understanding of this particular work? I think sometimes we jump at "far-out" conclusions a bit too easily (I include myself here). That is not to say that there wasn't maybe some form of "channeling" involved with Ende's work, but my understanding is that we should focus on the most "down to earth" explanations first before engaging in speculations.

For example, it seems that Ende's work was inspired a lot by the esoteric and mystic literature available to him, especially the works of Rudolf Steiner. I think he borrowed many concepts from these works and as I wrote above, he had a clearly non-materialistic view of the universe and spoke out for a marriage of science and mysticism.

Atuya said:
Do we will into existence more inspirational literature of this type? Why not? We will do what we will do!

Could you clarify a little bit what you mean? While enthusiasm is certainly a great motivator, I think it's better to be on the cautious side when it comes to the idea of "you create your own reality", which can be easily misleading. I'm not saying that this is the case with you, but maybe you want to read a little bit more about that (see here for example).

Atuya said:
And upon reviewing my words, I note the usage of inspire, perspire... into breath, through breath. Or: Ende on the benefits of EE :)

Again, would you mind to clarify?

And I can only recommend to read Momo and the Neverending story, I think these are brilliant (and highly entertaining) books!

I had more thoughts regarding the message of time and its use - namely to do with anticipation and whether we focus on giving to or taking from life.

I've noticed that anticipation and trying to "get" something from an activity tends to narrow the life to be found in time spent - the time goes by but counts for less; there is less richness, less real achievement (connected to learning and/or giving), and, in short, life feels comparatively 'thin' and empty.

So I think it is not just what we do (which I wrote my thoughts about in my previous post in this thread), but also how we do it - which also connects to the subject of lies we believe in - along with how we synchronize with life around us, which has to do with both cultural programming and social neuroscience.

Here's two quotes (original emphasis) from the book Introvert Power by Laurie Helgoe:

p.91-92 said:
In his fascinating book, Time Shifting, Stephen Rechtschaffen discusses another factor in how we experience time: entrainment. Entrainment is what happens when you set two pendulum clocks to swing at different rates, and then put them side-by-side. They start to move together. [...] In the same way, entrainment affects our sense of time. People speed up in the hubub of an airport, whether or not they need to. You tap your foot to the beat of the music. A mother holds a sleeping baby to her chest, and the two begin to breathe in perfect harmony.

When we were dependent on nature and its seasonal fluctuations, the rhythms of time were cyclical. Now we experience time as a straight line with a beginning and an end--or many disconnected beginnings and endings. Rechtschaffen discusses the overall shift in our rhythm that came with the Industrial Revolution:
If the days, seasons, even lifetimes come around again, then time never runs out. What is not completed in the circle of today may be accomplished tomorrow. If not this year, then the next; if not in this lifetime, then in another...By contrast, our modern rhythm is distinctly unnatural, mirroring society's pull, not the magnetism of the earth. We're taught to think quickly, act quickly, accompllish quickly...We have superimposed on nature the rhythms of greed, of materialism, of "having it all."
Rechtschaffen also reminds us that nature is still with us and many different rhythms are available in modern life.

She writes of the necessity for introverts (> 50% of the population) to have time to think, and to access "the life-giving power of our own minds", since this is how introverts recharge and avoid depletion of energy. This naturally connects with the need to "pull our pendulums away from social rhythms", from the distorted rhythms of our modern - not to mention pathological, at this point - society. And also to question certain inculcated ways of thought and attitude.

Such can be found in looking at both the pace and stucture of activity - including how things are laid out in "time": Cyclically, versus in linear plans and "deadlines". She further questions the metaphor of "deadline", proposing the concept of "birth time" - the time when something has undergone development and is ready. And also brings attention to how our words and metaphors, curiously enough, generally associate killing and dying with all "unproductive" passing of time; all of it part of a mindset that keeps people anxious, stressed and driven, and often guilty about even stopping to reflect.

She then goes into another interesting aspect of time, our language and attitudes:

p.93 said:
Let's look at ways to expand time.

Shift from "take" to "give". I've been holding onto an article for years, waiting for the time I had need of it. It's a piece I found in Parabola magazine, titled "Learning to Die," by Brother David Steindl-Rast. In the article, the Benedictine monk discusses the awareness that comes with the "rule of St. Benedict," which is to "have death at all times before one's eyes." The death he talks about is not the artificial death imposed by goals, but quite the opposite: the giving over of goals, purpose, control. Throughout his article, he reveals how the language of "taking" is embedded in our thinking, and how this mentality has created "an 'underdeveloped nation' with regards to meaningful living." He observes: "We say we take time; but we really live only if we give time to what takes time. If you take a seat, it is not a very comfortable way of sitting down but if you let the seat take you that's more like it." To Steindl-Rast, this giving over, this attitude of "leisure" is a virtue.

Practice giving. Give time to what you value. Give up a little control. Work and play from a position of abundance, from an attitude of leisure.

Which brings me back to what I wrote at the top about anticipation, where implicitly we are trying to "take" something for ourselves through a given activity. When this became my way of mind in reading, working, writing, etc., then not only have I then soon found myself feeling short on time, and feeling that days went by without the time having had much substance, but I also got sidetracked in what I did as well - in the rush to get, to take, tunnel vision quickly set in and judgment of priorities became skewed.

If you think of these grey men in Ende's story, this also goes to what they do and the results of it, though it's less explicit in the narrative: They convince people of what they can get if they focus on this and this at the cost of that and that. The victims of the persuasion not only try to "save time", but also become ever-more focused on what they are getting for themselves through their activity - and shape their entire lives around an illusion of anticipated reward. So I also see it as a strory of the trap of anticipation, greed, and a deeper descent into the STS way of life. The real consequences both for the self and for others are disregarded.

Psalehesost said:
I had more thoughts regarding the message of time and its use - namely to do with anticipation and whether we focus on giving to or taking from life.

I've noticed that anticipation and trying to "get" something from an activity tends to narrow the life to be found in time spent - the time goes by but counts for less; there is less richness, less real achievement (connected to learning and/or giving), and, in short, life feels comparatively 'thin' and empty.

So I think it is not just what we do (which I wrote my thoughts about in my previous post in this thread), but also how we do it - which also connects to the subject of lies we believe in - along with how we synchronize with life around us, which has to do with both cultural programming and social neuroscience.

Here's two quotes (original emphasis) from the book Introvert Power by Laurie Helgoe:

p.91-92 said:
In his fascinating book, Time Shifting, Stephen Rechtschaffen discusses another factor in how we experience time: entrainment. Entrainment is what happens when you set two pendulum clocks to swing at different rates, and then put them side-by-side. They start to move together. [...] In the same way, entrainment affects our sense of time. People speed up in the hubub of an airport, whether or not they need to. You tap your foot to the beat of the music. A mother holds a sleeping baby to her chest, and the two begin to breathe in perfect harmony.

When we were dependent on nature and its seasonal fluctuations, the rhythms of time were cyclical. Now we experience time as a straight line with a beginning and an end--or many disconnected beginnings and endings. Rechtschaffen discusses the overall shift in our rhythm that came with the Industrial Revolution:
If the days, seasons, even lifetimes come around again, then time never runs out. What is not completed in the circle of today may be accomplished tomorrow. If not this year, then the next; if not in this lifetime, then in another...By contrast, our modern rhythm is distinctly unnatural, mirroring society's pull, not the magnetism of the earth. We're taught to think quickly, act quickly, accompllish quickly...We have superimposed on nature the rhythms of greed, of materialism, of "having it all."
Rechtschaffen also reminds us that nature is still with us and many different rhythms are available in modern life.

She writes of the necessity for introverts (> 50% of the population) to have time to think, and to access "the life-giving power of our own minds", since this is how introverts recharge and avoid depletion of energy. This naturally connects with the need to "pull our pendulums away from social rhythms", from the distorted rhythms of our modern - not to mention pathological, at this point - society. And also to question certain inculcated ways of thought and attitude.

Such can be found in looking at both the pace and stucture of activity - including how things are laid out in "time": Cyclically, versus in linear plans and "deadlines". She further questions the metaphor of "deadline", proposing the concept of "birth time" - the time when something has undergone development and is ready. And also brings attention to how our words and metaphors, curiously enough, generally associate killing and dying with all "unproductive" passing of time; all of it part of a mindset that keeps people anxious, stressed and driven, and often guilty about even stopping to reflect.

She then goes into another interesting aspect of time, our language and attitudes:

p.93 said:
Let's look at ways to expand time.

Shift from "take" to "give". I've been holding onto an article for years, waiting for the time I had need of it. It's a piece I found in Parabola magazine, titled "Learning to Die," by Brother David Steindl-Rast. In the article, the Benedictine monk discusses the awareness that comes with the "rule of St. Benedict," which is to "have death at all times before one's eyes." The death he talks about is not the artificial death imposed by goals, but quite the opposite: the giving over of goals, purpose, control. Throughout his article, he reveals how the language of "taking" is embedded in our thinking, and how this mentality has created "an 'underdeveloped nation' with regards to meaningful living." He observes: "We say we take time; but we really live only if we give time to what takes time. If you take a seat, it is not a very comfortable way of sitting down but if you let the seat take you that's more like it." To Steindl-Rast, this giving over, this attitude of "leisure" is a virtue.

Practice giving. Give time to what you value. Give up a little control. Work and play from a position of abundance, from an attitude of leisure.

Which brings me back to what I wrote at the top about anticipation, where implicitly we are trying to "take" something for ourselves through a given activity. When this became my way of mind in reading, working, writing, etc., then not only have I then soon found myself feeling short on time, and feeling that days went by without the time having had much substance, but I also got sidetracked in what I did as well - in the rush to get, to take, tunnel vision quickly set in and judgment of priorities became skewed.

If you think of these grey men in Ende's story, this also goes to what they do and the results of it, though it's less explicit in the narrative: They convince people of what they can get if they focus on this and this at the cost of that and that. The victims of the persuasion not only try to "save time", but also become ever-more focused on what they are getting for themselves through their activity - and shape their entire lives around an illusion of anticipated reward. So I also see it as a strory of the trap of anticipation, greed, and a deeper descent into the STS way of life. The real consequences both for the self and for others are disregarded.
Thanks for your comments, Psalehesost. This has been my experience as well. I guess the more assumptions we have about the outcome of our learning activities, the more constricted the real outcome becomes. Instead of assuming we are going to get X for the Y amount of time, there should be a surrender to the unknown, having a vulnerable kind of attitude.

Just a note: In the German original, Ende uses the word Sternstundenuhr ("star hours-watch") for "crisimograph" and Sternstunden ("Star hours") for crisis. I think this is a beautiful word and also has a more positive connotation than "crisis". (Btw, my wife and I engraved the word "Sternstunden" on our wedding ring, so this has a very personal meaning to me...)
“It’s like this,” the professor explained. “At certain junctures in the course of existence, unique moments occur when everyone and everything, even the most distant stars, combine to bring about something that could not have happened before and will never happen again. Few people know how to take advantage of these critical moments, unfortunately, and they often pass unnoticed. When someone does recognize them, however, great things happen in the world.”

“Perhaps one needs a watch like yours to recognize them by,” she said.

Professor Hora smiled and shook his head. “No, my child, the watch by itself would be no use to anyone. You have to know how to read it as well.”
Sternstunde would maybe have been better translated by pivotal moment or decisive moment, OSIT.

Stefan Zweig, a world famous Austrian writer, used this word in the title of a bundle of historical essays: Sternstunden der Menschheit.

It's not impossible nor farfetched that Ende was implying a reference to that work in the above cited snippet.
It's remarkable that the English translation used the word crisis, especially because the German call it Sternstunden (star hours). Why call it even crisis, when these are "certain junctures in the course of existence, unique moments" and so on. "Critical moments" (see the quote in bold) does the job very nicely, though. Or indeed, pivotal or decisive moments!

What a great quote, @HifromGrace and how timely to read it now in 2023!

Recently, someone recommended this book to me and it rang a bell, so a quick check here led me to this thread! I can't wait to read the book (in English, and just for fun in German). Perhaps this is one of those books that will help us in these tough times?

Do read Neverending Story as well, fantastic!
Thank you for mentioning this book again. I feel it is a book, I better read too. My wife just told me that we have a copy in German so there is no excuse and some uplifting reading sounds like just the thing.

Alison Mcdowell did a lovely audiobook rendition of Michael Endes' Momo on her youtube channel last year!

I first happened to listen to her Part-5 3hr video and was happily rocked that her pet turtle there was named Cassiopaea.
I just listened to Part-1 which of-course is good background canvas but on reflection I might have not gone further if I hadn't suspected where it could lead to.

That whole session had me enthralled all the way and for me it was a good way to spur me on to now eagerly listen to the full set.
I liked having the subtitles switched on too.

I'm glad you guys were on to this way back in 2007. Sooo ahead of the game as usual. :-)

Back
Top Bottom