Meteorites spotted off the Dorset coast

Stuart

Padawan Learner
I noticed a small article in todays Dorset Evening Echo (southwest england) that says:

"Meteorites falling to earth off the Dorset coast prompted calls to the coastguard from people who mistook them for distress flares.

Portland coastguard said there was some meteor activity along the coast last night that was also witnessed in neighbouring counties and South Wales.

Some were green in colour and one person thought one was a flare set off in Portland Harbour."

I can't find a link on the web yet to any other reports of this incident but I thought I'd post this to see if anyone else in southwest England witnessed this event.

It may be nothing, but I want to mention it anyway. Last weekend I saw a shooting (falling?) star, just I was standing on my balcony, looking at the clear night sky. It had a long yellow/ reddish streak. You wonder what this has to do with the article? Well, we're about on the same latitude (south of the Netherlands). Could be related?

last weekend, a few friends and I were sitting in my back garden looking at the stars. We saw five shooting stars in the space of about 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom