Melatonin

Laura said:
There's more to this hormone interaction than just that, though. New book for everyone: "Lights Out" by T.S. Wiley... all about why sleeping more is a good thing.

It's fine to know that!, I need 9: 30- 10 hours sleeping to feel good and people don't understand!

I was wondering if anyone thought melatonin could be theraputic if used long term? Would it help release repressed memories?
And i was also wondering if it was safe to use it long term. Would it be ok on the liver at a low dosage like 1.5-2 mg per night?

is there any difference with the natural stuff that comes from the pineal glands of cows,and the manmade synthesized stuff?

davey72 said:
is there any difference with the natural stuff that comes from the pineal glands of cows,and the manmade synthesized stuff?

There has been some discussion about natural vs. synthetic supplements and I think the conclusion was that the synthetic performs as well as natural. But always try it out and see for yourself which one is best for you.

I just started taking melatonin 2 days ago, and it's amazing. It took me a while to try it because I didn't want to take a "sleeping pill" (program!), I only have medicines when prescribed, and stay away from everything else, not even an aspirin every now and then, but reading the forum decided to give it a chance. I haven't sleep this well since my childhood. Started on less than 1mg (tiny pills are difficult to cut in three!) of a melatonin + magnesium suplement, and it's wonderful how it doesn't make me fill sleepy or dizzy, I don't even oversleeep. 7 or 8 hours of sleep and I'm fresh and new :cool:

Thanks to everyone for suggesting.

I want to add 1.5mg of melatonin to my 100mg of 5htp on a night.
Ive searched everywhere on internet and cant find an answer. (im guessing its trial and error).
Was just wondering if anyone on here thought this was a bad combo? Too much serotonin?

I have been taking melatonin for a week now and all that happens is I need to go to the toilet about 4 times a night.. anyone else?? I would love to sleep a whole night through at some time in this life!!
One of my clients also takes it and although she rekons she sleeps better, she is also up about 5 times a night on the loo??

fisheye said:
I have been taking melatonin for a week now and all that happens is I need to go to the toilet about 4 times a night.. anyone else?? I would love to sleep a whole night through at some time in this life!!
One of my clients also takes it and although she rekons she sleeps better, she is also up about 5 times a night on the loo??

That happens to me too. I think that's because the supplement I take has some magnesium, is that your case?

melatonin said:
Ive searched everywhere on internet and cant find an answer. (im guessing its trial and error).
Was just wondering if anyone on here thought this was a bad combo? Too much serotonin?

This is kind of a standard way of taking 5-HTP. I think if you search the forum on 5-HTP with the dash you may find some info. The question about too much serotonin is probably something you won't know until you try, so small doses at first is probably a good idea. I think there is a feel to too much serotonin (a flush?) that you will know.

Mr. Premise said:
melatonin said:

This is kind of a standard way of taking 5-HTP. I think if you search the forum on 5-HTP with the dash you may find some info. The question about too much serotonin is probably something you won't know until you try, so small doses at first is probably a good idea. I think there is a feel to too much serotonin (a flush?) that you will know.

Also, the author of "Lights Out" (the book recommended in the sleeping thread) advises against taking supplemental melatonin, says we should sleep in a totally dark room for enough hours till our body reselts itself.

I have been using melatonin from time to time since about 2 years. As far as I remember, 1,5 mg was enough for me to feel sleeppy. Recently I took 3 mg pill, with bare effect. Two days ago i took 6 mg, and still I had problems to fall asleep. The previous night I decided to experiment and took 12 mg, and what was suprising to me, I felt boozed with energy rather than being sleeppy. I felt asleep after 3 hours of laying in bed and woke up rather not rested. I felt like my mind was working for all the night without turning off. Thus, those three hours without sleep were very interesting, a deeper insight into self was present.

Daniello said:
I have been using melatonin from time to time since about 2 years. As far as I remember, 1,5 mg was enough for me to feel sleeppy. Recently I took 3 mg pill, with bare effect. Two days ago i took 6 mg, and still I had problems to fall asleep. The previous night I decided to experiment and took 12 mg, and what was suprising to me, I felt boozed with energy rather than being sleeppy. I felt asleep after 3 hours of laying in bed and woke up rather not rested. I felt like my mind was working for all the night without turning off. Thus, those three hours without sleep were very interesting, a deeper insight into self was present.

From what I've read, and what my Hubby has read, reducing the dose of melatonin works better than raising it, which is backwards from normal. I don't know why it works that way, though. If its keeping you awake instead of helping you rest, try reducing the dose and see what happens?

I'm still tapering off an antidepressant, and do not take melatonin unless I'm having serious insomnia.

Gimpy said:
From what I've read, and what my Hubby has read, reducing the dose of melatonin works better than raising it, which is backwards from normal. I don't know why it works that way, though. If its keeping you awake instead of helping you rest, try reducing the dose and see what happens?

I'm still tapering off an antidepressant, and do not take melatonin unless I'm having serious insomnia.

Thank you for an advice, it worked yesterday (I took 3 mg) :)

melatonin said:
As far as i know, melatonin has nothing to do with the release of seratonin(perhaps someone can correct me if i am wrong), so i don't see any problem with the combo. To be sure, you could call your local health food store, or pharmacist, or both to check. :D

davey72 said:
As far as i know, melatonin has nothing to do with the release of seratonin(perhaps someone can correct me if i am wrong), so i don't see any problem with the combo. To be sure, you could call your local health food store, or pharmacist, or both to check. :D

I think melatonin and serotonin go hand. The 5-HTP converts to serotonin, which converts into melatonin.

Back
Top Bottom