M.M.S. Miracle Mineral Solution and Jim Humble

MMS and water purification.

All quotes from Wikipedia.

In most developed countries, public water supplies are required to maintain a residual disinfecting agent throughout the distribution system, in which water may remain for days before reaching the consumer. Following the introduction of any chemical disinfecting agent, the water is usually held in temporary storage - often called a contact tank or clear well to allow the disinfecting action to complete.

Methods used for water purification. (there are many more, but I concentrate here on the ones that stand in relation with MMS).

The most common disinfection method for water involves some form of chlorine or its compounds such as chloramine or chlorine dioxide.

Chlorination is the process of adding the element chlorine to water as a method of water purification to make it fit for human consumption as drinking water. Water which has been treated with chlorine is effective in preventing the spread of water born disease.
Chlorine is a strong oxidant that rapidly kills many harmful microorganisms. Because chlorine is a toxic gas, there is a danger of a release associated with its use. This problem is avoided by the use of sodium hypochlorite, which is a relatively inexpensive solution that releases free chlorine when dissolved in water. Chlorine solutions can be generated on site by electrolyzing common salt solutions. A solid form, calcium hypochlorite exists that releases chlorine on contact with water. Handling the solid, however, requires greater routine human contact through opening bags and pouring than the use of gas cylinders or bleach which are more easily automated. The generation of liquid sodium hypochlorite is both inexpensive and safer than the use of gas or solid chlorine.
All forms of chlorine are widely used despite their respective drawbacks. One drawback is that chlorine from any source reacts with natural organic compounds in the water to form potentially harmful chemical byproducts trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs), both of which are carcinogenic in large quantities and regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Drinking Water Inspectorate in the UK. The formation of THMs and haloacetic acids may be minimized by effective removal of as many organics from the water as possible prior to chlorine addition.

Chlorine Dioxide

Its most common use in water treatment is as a pre-oxidant prior to chlorination of drinking water to destroy natural water impurities that produce trihalomethanes on exposure to free chlorine. Trihalomethanes are suspect carcinogenic disinfection byproducts associated with chlorination of naturally occurring organics in the raw water. Chlorine dioxide is also superior to chlorine when operating above pH 7. Chlorine dioxide is more effective as a disinfectant than chlorine in most circumstances against water borne pathogenic microbes such as viruses, bacteria and protozoa – including the cysts of Giardia and the oocysts of Cryptosporidium.
Chlorine dioxide may create excessive amounts of chlorite, which is a by-product regulated to low allowable levels in the United States.

Sodium Chlorite

It is also used for disinfection of a few municipal water treatment plants after conversion to chlorine dioxide. An advantage in this application, as compared to the more commonly used chlorine, is that trihalomethanes (such as chloroform) are not produced from organic contaminants. Sodium chlorite, like many oxidizing agents, should be protected from inadvertent contamination by organic materials to avoid the formation of an explosive mixture.

To summarize
In purification of municipal water :
- obligatory to have a ´ a residual disinfecting agent throughout the distribution system´. (which means until it comes out of the tap)
- there are different methods to create the active element Chlorine to kill pathogens in water.
- Chlorine reacts with natural organic compounds in the water to form potentially harmful chemical by products.

If there is a residua in the tapwater, that is reacting with natural organic compounds (eg the human body) and is known for creating dangerous byproducts, it is for sure dangerous to add extra to the body in the form of MMS. Basically MMS is a concentrated form of municipal tapwater.

Shock chlorination is a process used in many swimming pools, water wells, springs, and other water sources to reduce the bacterial and algal residue in the water. Shock chlorination is performed by mixing a large amount of sodium hypochlorite, which can be in the form of a powder or a liquid such as chlorine bleach, into the water. Water that is being shock chlorinated should not be swum in or drunk until the sodium hypochlorite count in the water goes down to three ppm or less.

Inorganic forms of chlorine-releasing compounds frequently used in residential and public swimming pools include sodium hypochlorite commonly known as liquid bleach or simply bleach, calcium hypochlorite and lithium hypochlorite.

Is MMS basically swimming pool water? Is it coincidence that this is called ´Shock´ chlorination? (as in so many shock doctrines that are used these days).

One could also reverse the question and ask whether the residual chemical agent is also dangerous at concentrations below 3 ppm. To me it remains strange how a product that kills natural organic material is allowed inside a natural organic body such as the human body. I find it also telling that in this process chloroform is produced. Is tapwater putting people to sleep?

Is MMS basically swimming pool water?

I remember Humble writing that he would purchase sodium chlorite from a pool supply store to make his chlorine dioxide.

Is tapwater putting people to sleep?

Considering most US municipalities also add fluoride to the water supply, I would say yes, it is.

Laura said:
Vulcan59 said:
Hi gaman,

I assume you are asking why Laura didn't post a warning here on the forum about the dangers of MMS. Did you read through all the comments posted in that article? You'll find the answer there. :) I'll add a quote here from Laura but you really should read all the comments.

Laura said:
The incident with my daughter took a lot of medical sleuthing to figure out. Why? Because we were giving the benefit of the doubt to Jim Humble and MMS. While I was convinced that MMS was responsible, I felt that I should not be negative about it if other people were having results, that I should wait and see - maybe ours was a special case?

Let me also add that I don't, as a rule, discuss what is going on in the lives of my children. They don't like it and I don't do it unless the situation is really extraordinary and I ask their permission. Remember, THEY have not chosen a public life such as my own.

I'm totally with you on this and certainly would expect nothing else. :cool: After I refreshed the page I saw the rest of the threads and it was informative reading in several ways. Maybe I'm still too worried about what others think and giving the "right impression". I didn't want there to be any inconsistencies or open questions for anyone to get zinged on. I'm not even sure it was a useful concern at this point, as opposed to influenced by what I foresaw could be outside perceptions from others.

Hello. I am the author of the website http://sites.google.com/site/mmsdebunked where some of my research has been quoted.

I found this thread through a tool that finds links to my site. This has been a very interesting discussion. However I would like to clarify just one small point.

JEEP said:
Interesting to note is that on this website they list raisingmalawi.com as a "partner". Raisingmalawi, which is a legitimate charity set up by Madonna....

I do NOT claim that Madonna is in anyway involved with these scams. My conclusion is that Madonna's site is linked WITHOUT the knowledge or permission of raisingmalawi, to further "legitimize" their scam. As i mention on my site, raisingmalawi also has an affiliate page on their site and it makes no mention of malaria solution. I have emailed raisingmalawi several months ago to bring this to their attention, however as of yet I have not heard anything. It's quite possible they don't really have the resources to do anything about this unless it actually becomes a thorn in their side.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion, it gives me a little hope every time i find another group of people who critically examine and expose Jim Humble for the fraud he is.

Hi mmsfraud,

Great stuff you've got on your website exposing MMS. :) Welcome to the forum. We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

Hi mmsfraud!

Like Vulcan59 said please post a short intro :)
It would be very interesting to hear your experiences regarding MMS and what made you realize and critically examine and expose Jim Humble?

It is important to consider that the inner human body is a very complex ecosystem composed of more living cells that are non-human than human -- mostly bacteria, mostly non-pathogenic, and mostly essential to health. Not widely appreciated is that more of your cells are plant and animal than human and are essential for health. The gut, pores, hair follicles, and orifices all contain highly complex ecosystems with a wide spectrum of biological life forms, mostly of the plant kingdon (bacteria and fungi) but even some multicellular from the animal kingdom (tiny mites at the base of the eye lashes. These as best kept in balance for optimum health. Biocides of any type (not just pharmaceuticals) are indiscriminate in their toxicity and may lead to lasting and symptomatic imbalances.

Chlorine in some forms is not an just antibiotic that selectively kills pathogens. It can be a broad spectrum antiseptic (disinfectant), a poison that can indiscriminately kill all types of bacteria and other single cell organisms (both the good and the bad),including a potential to injure or kill human cells.

A balanced internal ecosystem is necessary for optimum health. As with broad spectrum pharmaceutical antibiotics, chlorine in some forms forms can cause major disruption and imbalance to the body's internal ecology -- disrupting an ecosystem that is as delicate and precious as that on the surface of the planet and in the forest. Benefit against pathogens might in some cases offest disruption to internal ecology, but lasting imbalances may also cause worse problems that those treated.

I personally would look for more tabulated scientific data on side effects before self-experimentation.

Hi ecranton, the info on the delicate balance of the body makes sense. As Vulcan said:

Vulcan59 said:
Welcome to the forum. We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

This thread and its evolution is a wonderful example of how networking does the job...

, just 3 days ago I recommended MMS to a friend with a suspected dengue fever...a friend said another friend used MMS and and got well and I just proceeded to pass on the info, I remember having a natural abreaction of shock and disbelief instantly when "it's a chemical used for water purification" was mentioned, but gave the product credit after hearing MMS because I had seen it in healthy food/organic/suplement stores before...big mistake.

Luckily my friend didn't act on the advice, and I am making sure everyone that has heard about MMS will get the story...including the store owners who sell it in this small part of this wicked yet wonderful world that took the fancy of Beelzebub grandson....

Thanks all!!

R

Thinking about my experience with MMS:

Ben said:
I experienced the nausea at 9 drops and did not have any after that. During the final phase of 15 drops three times daily I did not experience nausea but towards the end of this, lasting for about 4 days I have had quite bad digestive discomfort, mainly bloating causing pain, and gas. I find it very likely that this is due to an overgrowth of candida exploiting the lack of competition from other pathogens which were killed by the chlorine dioxide. Basically I screwed up by not fully considering the adaptability of the candida and to make things worse I have eaten things which could have fed this overgrowth more frequently than usual towards the end of the treatment (not to mention the fruit juice which I needed just to be able to drink the disgusting MMS). I am waiting for probiotics to be delivered so I decided to increase my intake of xylitol by drinking it with water, rooibos tea or on food. The digestive problems have virtually disappeared! Xylitol also tastes a lot better than chlorine dioxide (seriously just thinking about it makes me gag, it also doesn't help that your enteric nervous system firmly decides that mms = nausea = bad :O )

I was operating on the assumption that MMS does not kill beneficial bacteria, an assumption which I am now incredibly annoyed at myself for having made (not too happy with Jim Humble either). There seems to be no basis for the claim that chlorine dioxide selectively kills certain bacteria, and leaves the body's cells intact. I am now feeling lucky to have stopped taking this stuff before anything serious developed.

A few weeks ago I was perusing the store on the Natural News website. If anybody's been reading SOTT for even a short time they are likely to have come across at least a few articles by the 'Health Rangers' of Natural News. Anyway, at the store on Natural News, which sells a lot of good supplements, cs, and health-related appliances I came across the page that carries items suited for getting rid of parasites.

And this is what I found:

_http://store.naturalnews.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100331&zenid=lrt0fib5v71r659g7s8upbmea2

Yup, they're selling MMS.

Anyway, I wrote them a nice e-mail (from within their website) telling them how much I appreciate their fantastic articles and how impressed I was about all great things their store offers - except for the MMS. :( So I inclued a link to the recent articles on SOTT about MMS and Jim Humble and encouraged them to read it and left it at that.

Well it's more than three weeks later and they're still carrying the stuff and I'm wondering if a few more nice letters to them may be in order - informing them of the dangers of using MMS and how it's not really helpful on any level. Any thoughts about continuing to do this in some way?

Ennio said:
Well it's more than three weeks later and they're still carrying the stuff and I'm wondering if a few more nice letters to them may be in order - informing them of the dangers of using MMS and how it's not really helpful on any level. Any thoughts about continuing to do this in some way?

I just sent them an email warning them about this stuff too. I included the healthwyze article link in mine:
_http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/320-another-fraud-of-alternative-medicine-mms.html

Rhys said:
I just sent them an email warning them about this stuff too. I included the healthwyze article link in mine:
_http://healthwyze.org/index.php/component/content/article/320-another-fraud-of-alternative-medicine-mms.html

Terrific, Rhys. :) Hopefully they are reading their emails and will see the light sooner rather than later...

Something I've been thinking about this MMS is the following: Taking MMS Basically amounts to drinking chlorine bleach - yeah, it can kill some germs and maybe, in a very sick person where that is desperately needed, under strict observation, it might be helpful, but the fact that people are getting sick, some have died, and this guy keeps promoting it like manna from heaven for everything from tooth problems to toe fungus is DANGEROUS. But, more than that, just like any germ killing substance, it could be creating resistant organisms. The following is an article about antibiotics, but there have been articles and studies about the increase in resistant organisms to about anything we produce to control them. God help us if this MMS is helping to genetically modify some really awful bugs!

Patients who are over-prescribed antibiotics may develop drug resistance that lasts up to a year. This puts both them and the larger population at risk.

The more antibiotics are prescribed for coughs and flu-like illnesses, the more bacteria become resistant in a vicious cycle.

According to Reuters:

"Medical experts say overuse of antibiotics in Europe, the United States and other wealthy regions is building widespread resistance in and threatening vital medical treatments from hip replacements and cancer therapies, to intensive care."

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

There's much talk about the seriousness of antibiotic-resistant disease, yet few actually take it into consideration when making day-to-day health - and dietary decisions for their families.

It's easy to think that one more round of antibiotics won't hurt. In fact, many believe it's absolutely necessary for nearly all infections. And it's a rare person that gives any thought at all to the fact that eating factory farmed meat fuels antibiotic-resistant disease.

But this is where it needs to start - within the home of each and every one of us.

The Staggering Statistics of Lethal Antibiotic-Resistant Infections

Although doctors are urged to limit antibiotic prescriptions, as long as people ask to get them for every ear -, nose -, throat - or urinary infection they may have, the habitual prescribing of potent antibiotics is not likely to cease.

The knee-jerk decision to ask your doctor for antibiotics for every minor infection adds to the toll these drugs exact on public health, and it's a significant one.

Did you know that antibiotic-resistant infections now claim more lives each year than the "modern plague" of AIDS?

It's hard to believe, but according to a study published in October, 2007 in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), there were close to 100,000 cases of invasive Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections in the United States in 2005, which lead to more than 18,600 deaths.

HIV/AIDS, meanwhile, killed 17,000 people that same year.

And when you include ALL resistant infections, not just MRSA, the numbers become even more staggering.

Approximately 1.7 million Americans contracted infections during hospital stays in 2007, and a subsequent 100,000 people perished from these diseases, according to the U.S. Center of Disease Control (CDC).

It's also costing the American health care system more than $1.87 billion a year to treat these drug-resistant bacteria, according to Reuters.

As long as we continue using bazookas to eradicate mosquitoes, which is essentially what you're doing when using potent antibiotics for minor infections, this trend of creating ever more resistant strains of infections will continue.

Keep in mind that, according to this latest meta-analysis, the health risk from over-use of antibiotics is also a very personal one, as opposed to simply raising the occurrence of antibiotic resistance in the general population over time.

Reuters reports:

"The more antibiotics are prescribed for coughs and flu-like illnesses, or urine infections, the more bacteria become resistant in a vicious cycle, said British researchers who analyzed 24 previous studies of antibiotic resistance.

"The effect is greatest in the month immediately after treatment, but may last for up to a year, and this residual effect may be a driver for high levels of resistance in the community."

What this boils down to is that whenever you use an antibiotic, you're increasing your susceptibility to developing infections with resistance to that antibiotic - and you can become the carrier of this resistant bug, and spread it to others.

"... The more we prescribe, the more the bacteria become resistant," says lead researcher Alastair Hay. "And really the only way of turning that vicious cycle into a virtuous circle is to only prescribe when it is absolutely necessary in the first place." [Emphasis mine.]

Naturally, this issue needs to be addressed on a large scale, by doctors and hospitals, but I urge you to also take personal responsibility and evaluate your own use of antibiotics, and avoid taking them - or giving them to your children - unless absolutely necessary.

How Your Dietary Choices Come into Play

Compounding the problem is that not only are potent antibiotics over-prescribed in modern medicine, they are also widely over-used in agriculture.

In fact, agricultural uses account for about 70 percent of all antibiotic use in the US, so it's a MAJOR source of human antibiotic consumption.

Animals are often fed antibiotics at low doses for disease prevention and growth promotion, and those antibiotics are transferred to you via meat, and even via the manure used as crop fertilizer.

Some countries have realized the hazard inherent in this and have opted for a healthier approach to raising their livestock. Denmark, for example, stopped the widespread use of antibiotics in their pork industry 12 years ago. After they implemented the ban on antibiotics, a Danish study confirmed that it had drastically reduced antibiotic-resistant bacteria in animals and food.

So, reducing the spread of antibiotic-resistant disease is yet another reason for making sure you're only eating grass-fed, organically-raised meats.

Every so often, I'm criticized for recommending eating meat. But it's important to remember that I ONLY recommend meat from organic, grass-fed, free-range, humanely raised animals.. They are far superior to conventionally farmed meats in terms of quality and nutritional content, and second, they're not treated with antibiotics and other growth hormones.

So, please, understand that any time I discuss meat consumption, it is with the explicit understanding that I only promote humanely raised, organically farmed livestock that have roamed free, feeding on their natural food source, without any use of antibiotics and other growth-promoting drugs typically used in conventional farming.

(For more information about real meaning behind meat labels such as "free-range," or "biodynamic," please review this previous article.)

So keep in mind that in addition to enjoying better health, becoming an educated consumer and selecting organic meats over conventionally-raised meats will help quell the rise of antibiotic-resistant disease.

Natural Approaches to Preventing MRSA

Aside from the long-term preventive strategies of avoiding frivolous use of antibiotics for minor infections, and opting for antibiotic-free, organic meats, there are also several sound methods that can greatly hinder the spread of infectious disease on a day-to-day basis:

Wash Your Hands ... and Make Sure Your Doctor Does Too

Handwashing, which is one of the oldest and most powerful antibacterial treatments, may be the key to preventing MRSA.

According to a Johns Hopkins study, the best way for patients to avoid such infections is for doctors and nurses to simply wash their hands before touching a patient. This is the most common violation in hospitals!

Be sure to use a mild soap, and avoid all antibacterial soaps as they typically contain triclosan, a dangerous chemical that can cause even more resistant bacteria. More importantly, antibacterial agents are not necessary for soap to work.

Studies have shown that people who use antibacterial soaps and cleansers develop a cough, runny nose, sore throat, fever, vomiting, diarrhea and other symptoms just as often as people who use products that do not contain these antibacterial ingredients. In other words they are unnecessary and can cause you additional problems.

Guidelines to proper hand-washing include:

* Wash your hands for 10 to 15 seconds with warm water

* Use plain soap

* Clean all the nooks and crannies of your hands, including under fingernails

* Rinse thoroughly under running water

* In public places use a paper towel to open the door as a protection from germs that harbor on handles

* Avoid Sharing Your Personal Items

Since infection can spread by contact with contaminated objects, keep personal items like towels, clothing, bed linens, athletic equipment, razors and more to yourself.

Use Natural Disinfectants

As with antibacterial hand soaps, antibacterial house cleaners are also best avoided. A natural all-purpose cleanser that works great for kitchen counters, cutting boards and bathrooms is 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Just put each liquid into a separate spray bottle, then spray the surface with one, followed by the other.

Eat Garlic

Researchers have found that allicin, the active compound in garlic, is an effective, natural "antibiotic" that can eradicate even antibiotic-resistant bugs like MRSA. An added benefit is that the bacteria appear incapable of developing a resistance to the compound.

Keep in mind that the garlic must be fresh! The active ingredient is destroyed within one hour of smashing the garlic, so garlic pills are virtually worthless and should not be used.

Instead, compress the garlic with a spoon prior to swallowing it (if you are not going to juice it). If you swallow the clove intact you will not convert the allicin to its active ingredient.

Of course, there may be other effective strategies than the ones I just mentioned.

If you know of any others that would be helpful for preventing the spread of infections, I encourage you to add your comment below. If you aren't already registered it will literally only take a moment to register so you can post your own words of wisdom.

Re: M.M.S. Miracle Mineral Solution and Jim Humble

WITNESSES ACCOUNTS RELATED TO THE DEATH OF SYLVIA

DURING JULY 2009 IN PORT VILA, VANUATU:

Luc Callebaut: Sylvia had heard accounts from several sailors in the area of very positive effects of the use of a mineral supplement called MMS. Having used MMS myself for over a month, I answered some of her questions regarding MMS use. Doug later asked me my USB key where I had downloaded all information I had gathered about MMS from internet so he could copy it unto his laptop. This happened on a friend's boat s/v Quest. I believe one should read all what he can before taking anything that could help his health and decide for himself. Sylvia was very interested in getting some mineral solution and asked me how to get some. I gave her the website of the company where we bought ours but she had heard that another sailor asked me to have my wife Jackie, who was in California at that time to visit family, to bring her some bottles of MMS. She asked me if she could also get a MMS kit and I said it might be possible.

EARLY AUGUST IN PORT VILA

Luc Callebaut: Sylvia called me over the VHF radio to ask me if she could get a bottle now that Jackie was back. Jackie had brought back some bottles for our own supplies and I said we could spare one, as she really wanted it now. Doug came to meet me on shore to pick it up and to reimburse us.

7 AUG 2009 IN LAMEN BAY, EPI ISLAND (the day before her death):

Luc Callebaut and Jackie Lee: In the evening during the Buffet dinner of the Outrigger Canoe Race day, we sat at the same table as Sylvia and Doug and gave them printed documentation about MMS (a mineral solution): the Standard Protocol for use of MMS, and a booklet, "MMS" for Newbies (a very easy to understand booklet explaining MMS and how to use it and precautions for use). We asked them to read the booklet and return it to us, but they were to keep the protocol sheet.

Anthony Willis: The night of the buffet dinner, Sylvia was dancing and taking photos. Afterwards, several of us went to the wharf to shoot off flares as a kind of fireworks show. Doug and Sylvia came along with some of their own flares. I had a very hard time understanding Sylvia. Her voice was very raspy and she seemed to have a difficult time talking. Other local guys from the village made the same reflection to me after her death the next night. One said that he thought that she did not look well that night of the buffet.

Lorna Wilding: I saw a woman who seemed very breathless speaking at the dinner and later I found out it was Sylvia.

8 AUG 2009:

Luc Callebaut: In the morning at about 8AM, I came on the radio to announce to the sail-boaters the weather and activities ashore. Shortly after, Silvia came on the radio to ask some clarification about the preparation of the citric acid solution that is used to activate the mineral solution. This procedure is explained in the first paragraph of the Standard Protocol, but I explained it to her again very slowly, and explained again how to use it to activate the mineral solution. I explained to her that to avoid any problem with nausea or diarrhea, she should take only 1 drop the first time, and suggested to take it in the evening before going to bed.

Jackie Lee: I heard Sylvia say over the radio, "I tried", or "I try, to put ALL of the powder (citric acid) in the bottle with some water." It wasn't clear if this was a statement or a question. That is when Luc explained that no, she should put one Tbsp powder to nine Tbsp water, and that all the powder is enough to make a total of 5 bottles of citric acid solution.

Jackie Lee: Later that day, (in my recollection, sometime around 10AM) I was in the galley preparing a drink to take ashore as we were to spend some hours ashore filming tourist activities. I heard Luc talking to Doug who was in his dinghy next to the boat. I heard Doug say that Sylvia was nauseous and had diarrhea, and what could they do about it. Luc told him to do the usual procedure that is explained in other information we had downloaded onto their computer: give the person a big dose of vitamin C, which will cancel out the effect of the solution.

Luc Callebaut: When Doug came in his dinghy, he gave me back the booklet (for Newbies) and asked me what to do to stop ill effects. I asked what effects she had. Doug said nausea and diarrehea. I told him to have her take ½ or 1 gram of vitamin C to counter any effect. I asked if she took 1 drop (since usually only 1 drop does not cause these effects). He said he assumed, but that sometimes Syvia was the type to think if a little is good, more is better. We heard nothing further from Doug. We were off the boat in the morning, but were back aboard about 1:30-2:00 PM, and definitely aboard at 3:30PM because Jackie checked her watch, because locals were to come by and take us to a little island, but that did not happen and we were on board until around 6:00pm, then back on board around 8:00PM because we were to fix dinner on board for our friends from the village.

Jackie Lee: Just after we had finished dessert, we heard Doug come on the radio calling our boat name. I answered. Doug asked if we could come by quickly because Sylvia was in real distress. His voice was very urgent. I told him I would come by as quickly as I could. I grabbed a bottle of vitamin C and my glasses in my backpack. I took the dinghy by myself to their boat. While I climbed aboard and we were going below, I asked Doug to tell me exactly what had happened during the day from the beginning. He said that Sylvia had taken 2 drops of the mineral solution and then she started having severe vomiting and diarrhea all day. I asked if he had kept her hydrated. He said yes that he gave her lots of water. I asked if he had given any kind of electrolytes, like gatorade. He said he tried to give her juice but she didn't want it because she couldn't keep it down. I asked if she took any medications, he said that she took hormones for older women. I asked "Anything else?" (Because I take estrogen and have no ill effect with the mineral solution.) He said no, nothing else. He said that she was complaining of bad abdominal pains, just before he called us. Just then Luc came on the radio telling Doug that our friends said there was a doctor in the village. While Doug was answering, I went into the back cabin calling for Sylvia. I found her on her side on the bed, eyes wide open and very bulging; she was unresponsive and her breathing was very weak, shallow and erratic. I told Doug to call Luc for the doctor and to have him bring oxygen QUICK. I tried to rouse her but there was no response. I tried to take her pulse but I could not find one in her neck or wrist. Her neck and jaws were very rigid and her fingers were very cold. I tried to hold her head and talk to her and keep her breathing. She seemed to take an occasional larger breath, but it was still ineffectual. Doug was setting up his oxygen bottle as I kept trying to keep her breathing, but breaths seemed to get weaker and weaker. He told me that she was conscious before he called us, but that she said that she thought she was going to faint, and that's when he called us urgently. At that moment Anthony arrived, before Doug was ready with the Oxygen, Sylvia stopped breathing. I yelled that we needed to start CPR and that we needed a board or something solid to put under her. They got a board quickly, but I saw that it would still be impossible to do CPR on the bed and said we needed to get her to the floor. I tried giving her breaths while we were moving her, but she seemed to have a lot of fluid in her bronchial tubes. I asked Anthony if he could do chest compressions; he said he would try. While he was giving compressions I could hear a lot of fluid noises coming from her, I said we had to turn her on her side and press her stomach in case she had vomit or to get the fluid out. We did this and some clear watery fluid came out but not a lot. We recommenced CPR and I gave her breaths but always we could hear fluid in her bronchial tubes. We continued compressions and breaths and turning her on her side and pressing her stomach to get fluid out. I had a hard time getting air into her, so we slid her toward the door way where her head could hang down over the step, and then I could get her airway open and have easier time in getting full breaths into her. In between my giving breaths, we tried to keep the oxygen mask with free flowing oxygen over her mouth and nose. During the whole time, we could not find a pulse and she did not begin to breath on her own. Other people arrived with oxygen bottles, and someone said our local friends going to get the doctor. A young man (Ben) came in with a CPR card and told us the new rule was to only do compressions, but also said we were to do 30 rapid compressions, at a rate of about 100/min, and then 2 breaths. We started to do this. Shortly after, Ben took over the compressions for Anthony, and I continued the breaths. We kept talking to Sylvia trying to get her to respond. Her fingers remained cold, but she retained good color and we got good breaths into her altho we always heard a lot of fluid. After some time, I asked someone to take over for me, and Luc took over the breaths.

Luc Callebaut: After Jackie went to Doug's boat, we heard Doug call for more help and Oxygen. James, from "Mind the Gap" came with his dinghy to pick-up me and our local friends, Tasso, his wife, and Max. He dropped me on Doug's boat with the oxygen and took the other 3 ashore to fetch the doctor. When I arrived, Anthony, his father Ian, and Ben were already there. Ian had set up his oxygen from his boat "Squid". Anthony and Doug were in the cabin holding Sylvia's hands (feeling for pulse) and Jackie and Ben were administering CPR and oxygen. I took over the mouth-to-mouth to relieve Jackie when she became too tired. We continued CPR the same way, occasionally turning her on her side to get fluid out. After a time, I told them to elevate her legs to keep the blood in her torso. At some point, Doug climbed out of the cabin to try to get us some ventilation because it was very hot and stuffy. Ben and Anthony changed roles once or twice to relieve each other.

Jackie Lee: After I was relieved from giving breaths, I went up into the cockpit to get air. I was very winded and very upset at such a tragic thing happening. Ian from "Squid" came up and tried to comfort me and get me to go to his boat so his wife could make me tea, and calm me, but I did not want to leave, if I could still help. Another Ian from the boat "Spirit of Ecstasy" was in his dinghy on the side of "Wind Castle" waiting in case someone needed transport in a dinghy. After a while, I went back down to the settee area with Ian from "Squid". We saw on the settee table many bottles of prescription medications. I looked at the bottles and there were at least 3, perhaps more with Sylvia's name on them. There may have been 2 bottles of the same thing, but there was at least 2 different kinds of medicine. I told Ian that Doug said she took hormones for menopause, but that was all. After, Doug came out of the back cabin and went to open some vents. At some point, he took his digital camera and took a photo of Sylvia and the guys giving CPR. I found this action very strange and shocking. How could one take photos in this situation and why on earth would anyone want to take such a horrible photo of his wife?

Ian Willis: I came with Anthony and our oxygen bottle, and set it up for use. I told Ian from "Spirit of Ecstasy" to stay with the dinghy in case I needed to go back to my boat or someone needed a ride. When Jackie went up into the cockpit, I saw she was upset and tried to comfort her. Later we were sitting at the settee and we saw many prescription bottles on the table, and there was a blister pack of Panadol or the equivalent on the table and one tablet was on the table. Jackie said that Doug had told her that Sylvia had complained of severe abdominal pains shortly before he called "Sloepmouche". Maybe the Panadol was for her pain. Jackie said that Doug had told her that Sylvia was on hormones, but nothing else. I saw Doug take his camera and take a photo of the area they were giving CPR. I was shocked, and I said to Jackie, "What a strange thing to do. Why would he do that?" Later on he took more photos. When he took a photo of the Doctor examining Sylvia, I told him to stop, that we did not need cameras here. He obediently sat down and put the camera back on the table. I tried to make conversation with him to take his mind off the situation. I asked him questions about his cruising, and he answered comprehensively.

Anthony Willis: I arrived at Wind Castle and found Jackie and Doug at the back cabin, and I started to explain the procedure to guard against someone swallowing her tongue if they have a seizure. Then Jackie shouted that Sylvia had stopped breathing and we needed to start CPR. During the time I was giving compressions and Jackie was doing the breathing, I saw Doug holding her hand. He removed her ring and put it up on a shelf.

Jackie Lee: I remember Doug saying that her fingers were very cold. I remember him removing her bracelet, and thinking that he was doing it to prevent restriction of blood flow to her hand.

Anthony Willis: When Doug took photos, I shouted to him, "No photos, here!" or something like that.

Jackie Lee: While Doug was sitting at the table, I said to him, "Tell me again what medications Sylvia was taking, because when the Doctor comes, he will need to know. I see many bottles of prescription medicines here, can you tell me what they are for?" He was distracted and muddled, and tried to tell me. He did mention again, "pills for, you know, when women get older", then he said that she was taking pills for hypo or hyper thyroidism. I said, " Oh Doug, you should have told us!" I asked if there was anything else. He tried to think and then apologized, "here she's my own wife and I can't think of her medications." I didn't push further, as it make him more distraught. The guys continued CPR without success and at one point Anthony came out and rushed to the cockpit to vomit, and came back saying "she's gone", but he went right back in there and kept up the CPR and encouraging the guys and telling Sylvia to give him a pulse. He was a Champion. I looked, and Sylvia was very white, even her torso. She never did respond altho after the Doctor came and Ben was listening with a stethoscope, Ben thought he felt a slow pulse, and I told them that if there was a pulse, not to give compressions but keep the artificial breathing and keep monitoring the pulse. The Doctor came after we had been doing CPR at least 45 mins, I think it was even longer. I heard Anthony ask several times whether to keep up the CPR or not. Finally the Doctor said no, that she was gone.

Luc Callebaut: When the Doctor came and Ben thought he could feel a pulse, I asked if he was sure, because we should not do compressions if there was a heart beat. The Doctor is a very old man and not very decisive. He gave Sylvia a shot of what he said was adrenaline, but he gave it to her in her arm. He was hesitant to tell us anything, but finally he said it was of no further use. He said that he could feel no pulse.

Iian Willis: After the Doctor and most of the people left, Ben and I stayed on board with Doug. He was in the back cabin where we had laid Sylvia until the locals could come with one of their fishing boats to take the body ashore. He was in the back cajoling her to come back, and he tried to resuscitate her himself. I told him to come in the salon. He obeyed easily. During our talk, I asked him about the mineral solution; how much did Sylvia take. He said that he really didn't know how much she took. During one of my conversations with him, he said that Sylvia was the kind to think more is better. He said that he waited way too long to call for assistance.

Luc Callebaut: I heard from Ian that Doug was blaming the MMS for his wife's death. But I cannot believe, after reading hundreds of pages of information about MMS that it could be the direct cause of her death. Especially since she had apparently only taken a minimum dose of 1 or perhaps 2 drops of MMS, I cannot conceive that so little MMS could provoke death 12h later! The vitamin C I told Doug to give her should have eliminated any adverse symptoms right away. Some people have reported mild nausea, diarrhea or vomiting but according to Jim Humble, the inventor of MMS, there has never been any fatality caused by MMS! Something else must have cause death. I hope that an autopsy later will indicate the real cause of her unexpected death.

Back
Top Bottom