Log-in problem

J

JGeropoulas2

Several months ago, my computer crashed and I lost password information. I had trouble logging in to this forum, so I did a good bit of guessing with no success. Here's a summary and my question for you:
(1) when using my old User Name with my old (and current) e-mail address, I was told "that User Name is not available because it's in use by another user" (theoretically, me)
(2) when using a new User Name with my old (and current) e-mail address, I was told "that e-mail address is in use by another user"
(3) having thus confirmed my old User Name and associated e-mail address, I tried to retrieve my password via the "Forgot Your E-mail?" request, but I never got an e-mail
(4) I verified that sott.net was on my "Approved" senders list, repeated, but still got no reply
(5) I then e-mailed sott (sott@sott.net) several times, but still got no reply
(6) so as a last resort, I've just registered with a new User Name and a different e-mail address so I could ask:

For continuity's sake, how can I resume using my old User Name (which is "JGeropoulas" ) and old/current e-mail address?

Hi, I've changed your password on your original account and will PM you with it in a moment (we'll then delete your new account).

Hi JGeropoulas,

Since you have managed to log in using your previous account this account, JGeropoulas2, has been deleted.

lost password

How do i get to choose a new password, should i log out, fail with login, and have a temporary one sent to my email or does that not work anymore?

Re: lost password

Hi cope,

From the SMF manual;

All passwords are encrypted for security reasons and cannot be retrieved. However, they can be changed or reset in the event that a password has been forgotten.

Selecting the Forgot your password? link on the login page will display the Authentication Reminder box, enabling the member to enter their username or email address, so that they can reset their password.

After entering their username or their email address the member is presented with two options:
  • Email me a new password – the member enters their forum profile email address, and will then receive an automated email which includes a link that will enable them to change their password, so that they can log in.
  • Let me set a new password by entering my “secret question” – the member enters the answer to their secret question and their new password in the appropriate fields. The member is now able to log in.
As a quick fix, an administrator can change a member's password within the account related settings section of the member's profile.

Back
Top Bottom