Living without the appendix

Ok so I went to the ER today, being a Sunday. I didn't sleep much last night as I worried. I spent 8 hours in the hospital.

I got blood and urine tests. As well as ultrasound and MRI. I wasn't tender to the touch in the area and didn't have fever or white blood cells. So they ruled out appendicitis. Though they looked at my insides with the other tests.

They found two things called hemangiomas on my liver. They say it's a benign growth of blood vessels. Also my biliruben was about 2.2, a little high. They say I just need to get another ultrasound in 6 months to see if the size of those growths change.

I took 2.4g of NAC and 5g of vitamin C because of the MRI. I'm going to take more C and do a sauna tomorrow, as I'm pretty tired now.

So I went in for pain, and came out diagnosed with other things, heh.

Psyche said:
Avoid seeds and nuts if you're having them. I was reading in the Fiber Menace how often the source of obstruction and infection were undigested seeds, husks, nuts, grains, and fiber of course. Have no more than 15 grams of soluble fiber per day...

I have a few bags of nuts, but I probably haven't had any in over a week. I was using them for when I got hungry and needed a little snack. I'm definitely under 15 grams of fiber as I only eat less than 75g of green beans for carbs.

Thanks for the advice and replies all!

anart said:
3D Student said:
So I went in for pain, and came out diagnosed with other things, heh.

Hmmm... how's the pain?

Last night it was hurting a little more than before. This morning I felt it a little, to a much lesser degree. But right now it is not hurting. It was always a random pain, never constant.

Psyche said:
Avoid seeds and nuts if you're having them. I was reading in the Fiber Menace how often the source of obstruction and infection were undigested seeds, husks, nuts, grains, and fiber of course. Have no more than 15 grams of soluble fiber per day and avoid constipation or any necessity to strain by increasing your fat intake, magnesium, vit C. If you tolerate coconut oil, that is fine then. Do go to the doctor if it doesn't improve.

Yesterday was the last sunflower seed i ate ever. They caused a new feeling of sensitivity in the stomach in the last few days and because that i ate them less and less. It is like i tolerated snacking them so far. Physiological changes appeared with the advancement of the diet and i felt increasingly that i must not snack on seeds. There is constant bloating, increased belly fat. Before sunrise today it appears like an appendicitis flared up. Drank a lot of water, took a FIR sauna, took a smooth move laxative, vit. C and applied Boswelia cream onto the site.

In the past when having appendicitis-like pains it also helped, when i stretched my torso and done sit ups, leg lifting, then lying on the belly lifted my upper body. During the stretching i always could feel something in the painful area "pulling apart", then i was okay. Will see, how it develops. Definitely don't want surgery, if it goes worse, will ask the doctor the antibiotic course if possible.

No constipation, slight fever(took a pill). There should be two daily contributing factors: sunflower seeds and cocoa+ground cinnamon+xylitol+calcium. As seeds are out now, if no more serious symptoms develop, i'll be watching reaction to the homemade chocolate. Will take magnesium/calcium and Vit C. The cinnamon and cocoa may be responsible for irritable bowels and bloating, i only took it, because it appeared to help me think better (i am non-smoker).

Laura posted an article on FB sometime earlier about nuts. It also revealed the extreme amounts of phytic acid that cocoa contains. Quite dissapointing indeed, I've been having quite a bit of it these past few days.

http://chriskresser.com/another-reason-you-shouldnt-go-nuts-on-nuts said:
[Disappointing side note for chocolate lovers: Raw unfermented cocoa beans and normal cocoa powder are extremely high in phytic acid. Processed chocolate may also contain significant levels.]

FIGURE 2: PHYTIC ACID LEVELS1
In milligrams per 100 grams of dry weight
Brazil nuts 1719
Cocoa powder 1684-1796
Oat flakes 1174
Almond 1138 – 1400
Walnut 982

In last couple of days i began not craving cocoa that much. Problem is have to find some type of snacks, because the lack of chocolate and sunflower seeds is causing psychological problems. Like raiding the refrigerator past 19:00pm, thinking about chocolate, favorite foods from years ago.

Further info:

It looks like my "appendicitis" was rather a colon inflammation. I sit/work beside the window and frequently open it to let fresh air in. Must have caught cold in the right part of the torso, where the colon is. The pain never went below the pelvic bone to appendicular area, but remained exactly - in a circular shape in the belly where the colon is. I can still feel it by pressing the area, but the pain and slight fever is gone.

Applied treatment : during 3 days
1. Boswellia serrata oil - cream - topically on belly over colon areas, ~6-7 times.
2. FIR sauna: 1x45 minute, 2x20 minute
3. Stretching of the torso - ballerina moves - so the inflamed areas could have internal movements, preventing clogging in the colon i suspect.
Directions of stretching movements (indication only):
_http://img3.photographersdirect.com/img/262/wm/pd1849005.jpg
_http://www.shorttrack06.com/images/Untitled-9L.jpg
_http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/33/07/39/400_F_33073920_MFAfW91kUhuynXyo3siDqURyWSryM4PZ.jpg
_http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljd2isPqCH1qft958o1_400.jpg

Stand beside a heavy table and rest your left hand on it. Slight stand astride. Raise your right arm up and do a ballerina-bend backward toward your hand that is resting on the table. You can feel the inflamed colon area stretching this way. May apply sit ups, leg lifts and other stretching shown on above pictures. Might help in unclogging/clearing the colon.

As the sunflower seed is clearing out of my system i noticed less foggy mind, clearer head. Not sure about the chocolate, will try to maintain. Since being a replacement for smoking, which i very much would like to do, but can't. The rented room was given to a non-smoker, plus i run regularly, may have inherited heart problem, consequently not sufficient blood circulation (it seems reaching 40 my youthful energy and physical endurance is collapsing), afraid to risk smoking that it might lead to even worse circulation. Numbing of arms, hands, legs, less strength and my heart giving increasing warning signs when walking half a mile carrying 20 liters of water.

Would like to go to a light jog at least every other day to get enough exercise (don't live at country-house where there would be sufficient physical activity), but the city air is heavily polluted. Currently hazarding less physical activity to prepare portfolio and apply for a good paying job. This too much sitting must be broken by walks otherwise thrombosis is likely. Want to become a good householder as i managed to become, before the market crash reached us in 2009. Changing living place much more like to country-side of course is the plan!

Dear Forum,

last night the area where the appendix is located started to ache and I also got a bit of higher body temperature. The pain was moderate, but still insistent and I did not sleep that well. Because of the pain and because I was so scared I might probably have to undergo surgery, I think. I did some pipe breathing, but that was uncomfortable due to the ache. I just saw the doctor and he recommended hospital, though the pain currently is not strong at all. And I think, it is better to rule appendix out, because that one could get very serious, if not payed attention to. I just hope, I don't have to undergo surgery...

There is another thing to mention: Since December I am trying to create a post for the Swamp, in order to re-orient or re-direct myself in direction to cleaning the 'machine' physically and psychologically, in order to be a better participant here and to become able to really translate the things I am learning here into DOING. And also, to really get my energy back - as I might have had it eight or nine years or so ago. This means to correctly nourishing the body, the mind, the heart etc., to really connect to myself and to others, help them benefit as well (if they want) etc. There are several programs and things holding me back and I ty to analyze them in the context of personal history, relations to family, to school, to adult life.
And I find, there are a lot of things that need to be get in order and to be done (or thrown over, depending on their nature and their importance). I feel overcharged in some way, but I also want to suss them out. There has been building quite some pressure in me over the past two years regarding the requirement of networking about them (yes, there are issues I want to network about since two years :-[ ) and that pressure increased this year, and it takes energy and therefore things need to be looked at. I fight against my Predator's Mind since so long and still I did not really win. I hoped, I could get ready the regarding post by this week and now that doesn't seem to work out, depending of what will happen to my appendix in hospital. (Sorry for the wailing...)

What is currently going on and what I so much feel needs to be networked upon, seems to be something quite substantial and complex (though I might only perceive it as such, I don't know). I also thought, it would not be good to participate in the forum that much before I managed to get that swamp-post ready. I even think, I might never manage it. So maybe the appendix aches also because of psychosomatic reasons, because of the inner pressure I had put myself under (and still am). It might be a warning sign from the universe, as I have not taken due care of myself. However, this is just speculation.

Well, it is time to go to the hospital now and go through whatever may come, with myself pulled together. I am really scared of surgery. It will help to know, that you now know about this situation and might be there with me in thought. Regarding the networking, I would appreciate help, how to approach this. I don't know, if I have been clear in my writing above due to all the current muddle I am going through and my anxiety of hospital. If not, I will clarify as soon as being back.

Thank you for reading,
Learner

Hi, Learner. Hope everything works out with your appendix. What's your diet like?

In terms of networking, I think it's like anything else. You have to start somewhere. Try to maybe break down your Swamp post, also, to the gist of what you want feedback on and take it from there, depending on the replies.

Good luck with everything. :)

I'd say take one thing at a time - you're doing well in finding what's going on with the pain you're having. When you get past that, you can then start to tackle other things. Wishing you luck and looking forward to your update. :hug2:

I am back for a reply (sorry, it will be quite long). An update regarding the appendix first and the results:

I still have my appendix, fortunately. At first, thank you very much for your concern and sympathy. I managed to read your answers on my mobile phone, just before I entered hospital on Tuesday. To know, you were with me in thought indeed helped me very much to go through the examination processes, which I found being quite an ordeal.

This was mainly due to my fears and my confusion, and because that hospital has been such a huge, labyrinthic and busy place with so many doors and so much staff. I also did not have an intake of any food since Monday evening by that time, except a cup of water with more than 1000 g Vitamin C mixed into it in the early morning hours of Tuesday afternoon (in order to boost my immune system for better ability to deal with whatever has been causing that pain). All the doctors I had seen hadn't allowed me to eat and to drink further, for the case surgery would have become necessary. One of the physicians was a bit impatent with me in the beginning, as I almost walked into the wrong room at first and because of having a difficult time to follow her commands during the examination because of my confusion due to the whole situation, my anxiety and while being without food and water for more than twelve hours. So I closed myself up against her at first. But we fortunately managed to work this out, and then she was very friendly and compassionate. And further on I started to see this whole situation as a kind of test of strenght and perseverance - which put a different perspective to it in some way. That also helped me quite much in that situation.

Blood and urine were being tested, then several examination procedures undertaken - with a negative result of appendicitis in the end. All blood and urine values turned out okay (maybe due to that cup of water with vitamin C, but not sure), except one: What has been found, was a high level of TSH in the blood, which indicates a disturbed thyroid gland according to the doctors - hypothyroidism. The physicians strongly suggested to me, I should take thyroid hormone pills.

Well, the whole ordeal lasted 4,5 hours and after 7 pm I finally was released to go home, as the pain has become very weak by the evening - only a little tweak remained. However, I had been scheduled to return early Wednesday morning, to undergo some further checks.
A close friend of mine came to meet me near the hospital, after I had left it, and we went downtown in order to buy some food and water for me, so that I was able to cook a light meal later at home. (I felt like in paradise, when I was ready with the preparation of that meal and started to eat and also having a nice cup of tea - after more than sixteen hours without food and water by that time).
On Wednesday morning the ache was completely gone (by now this is still the case, mostly, but there is a little tweak occasionally - especially if I am going to put myself under pressure), therefore I canceled the appointment with the clinic and went to my general physician instead (who first checked me on Tuesday). We scheduled an appointment for sonography of the thyroid gland in May.

A latent hypothyroidism has been diagnosed during the time of puberty (when being fourteen, I think) already and then again four years ago by my internist. But he didn't recommend pills to me, as he probably didn't find this necessary by then. I am also underweight: my weight is 59 to 60 kg with a hight of 1,88 metres. A nurse in that clinic told me, she has also once heard, that a disturbed thyroid gland could go along with stomach ache in some cases.

The surgeon, who had examined me in the end on Tuesday, suggested to me to consider colonoscopy, if the pain will return, as an area of the gut might be inflamed. The symptoms I experienced have also not been very typical of appendicitis to her: Irritation or inflammation of the appendix is often accompanied with sickness and throwing up, which has not really been the case with me (on one point on Monday night I felt a little bit sick - maybe that could have been mostly due to that fear I underwent).
I agreed with the clinic as well as with my general practitioner, to observe that issue during the following weeks and if it will return or might even become worse, I would see them again.
Besides that, I am also going to see a natural health professional I already know, who has affordable prizes and does not follow the new age shtick (as many of his colleagues seem to do more or less, based on observations and hearsay).

As result, if the thyroid gland is an issue, then I don't wonder any longer, why I often lack energy and a drive of doing, and why there are bouts of depression here and then. However, the malfunction of that gland might not be the only cause for that. There might emotional and psychological issues be involved as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The whole issue described above as well as its outcome might very well be linked to diet.

SeekinTruth said:
[...] What's your diet like?

Frankly, my diet is not very good - though I refrain from fast food and many processed foods. I did several attempts to switch from standard diet to a diet, that would be better for my overall health (which I think might be the case with gluten- and dairy-free, paleo approach), especially in 2010 and last year, but because of several obstacles from inside (predator's mind and other issues) and from outside (f.ex. opposition from people around me regarding such changes, and I have a conflict-avoiding attitude - which is not very useful in many cases) I did not succeed (yet). That is certainly an aspect I want to pursue in the Swamp - because I want to try the changes again. If the cause that underlies the pain I have been experiencing can be healed by diet (and maybe other things - especially if it also is psychologically related), then the ache might indeed have been some kind of a signal by the universe in order to kick-start me to do something about it. However, again, this is just speculation on my part. Howsoever it might be, it brought me to a starting point. But there are psychological related issues, that require networking as well.

SeekinTruth said:
You have to start somewhere. Try to maybe break down your Swamp post, also, to the gist of what you want feedback on and take it from there, depending on the replies.

truth seeker said:
I'd say take one thing at a time - you're doing well in finding what's going on with the pain you're having. When you get past that, you can then start to tackle other things.

Thank you for your feedback, SeekinTruth and truth seeker. You are right, that I need to go step by step and tackle on thing after another. I cannot solve everything at once as I most likely would have this to be - but that is wishful thinking, as that is not possible in reality. Now, at the end of this post I think, the consideration of diet changes and how to implement them in connection to my thyroid gland issue and the lack of energy that might be related to it could be a good starting point regarding networking. I will see from there, where the universe will take me. Many psychological issues and lacks of energy will probably sort themselves out by taking due care of diet, so that they don't require networking anymore. The remaining issues however could be networked upon later and then sorted out by me.

There is one last thing: Based on what I have gone through, regarding that appendix (or whatever) pain I have experienced, some people (to whom I described the issue as well) suggested to me, it could be something regarding the gall bladder or it may be a cyst in the stomach or in the abdomen (but regarding the latter, gynecological-wise nothing has been found). And, what I have forgotten to write before, that surgeon who examined me in the end (Tuesday evening) could locate the pain on the right side of the navel while, when she pressed my stomach at the area of the appendix, there was no pain. So, I now consider sonography on that area of the stomach or something like that in order to rule that out. However, I also take into consideration, if the pain can be somewhat stress-related and/or psychosomatic as well. I experienced similar pain (though it had been weaker than this time) at least twice during my teenage years (one time I also needed to see a physician who ruled out appendicitis) - that were times when the bullying in school was quite strong.
So, my question is: Would you recommend another check through, in order to rule out gall bladder or cyst? Or would you suggest to just leave it, until the pain might come back? :/

Thank you, again, for reading - Learner

So, my question is: Would you recommend another check through, in order to rule out gall bladder or cyst? Or would you suggest to just leave it, until the pain might come back?

Hi Learner,

I'd definitely run another check, to rule out any other issue that might not yet be detected, just to make sure. Once you know the results, you can go from there.

Learner said:
There is another thing to mention: Since December I am trying to create a post for the Swamp, in order to re-orient or re-direct myself in direction to cleaning the 'machine' physically and psychologically, in order to be a better participant here and to become able to really translate the things I am learning here into DOING. And also, to really get my energy back - as I might have had it eight or nine years or so ago. This means to correctly nourishing the body, the mind, the heart etc., to really connect to myself and to others, help them benefit as well (if they want) etc. There are several programs and things holding me back and I ty to analyze them in the context of personal history, relations to family, to school, to adult life.
And I find, there are a lot of things that need to be get in order and to be done (or thrown over, depending on their nature and their importance). I feel overcharged in some way, but I also want to suss them out. There has been building quite some pressure in me over the past two years regarding the requirement of networking about them (yes, there are issues I want to network about since two years :-[ ) and that pressure increased this year, and it takes energy and therefore things need to be looked at. I fight against my Predator's Mind since so long and still I did not really win. I hoped, I could get ready the regarding post by this week and now that doesn't seem to work out, depending of what will happen to my appendix in hospital. (Sorry for the wailing...)

Learner said:
As result, if the thyroid gland is an issue, then I don't wonder any longer, why I often lack energy and a drive of doing, and why there are bouts of depression here and then. However, the malfunction of that gland might not be the only cause for that. There might emotional and psychological issues be involved as well.

Are you doing EE also regularly?

Learner said:
it could be something regarding the gall bladder or it may be a cyst in the stomach or in the abdomen (but regarding the latter, gynecological-wise nothing has been found). [..] I now consider sonography on that area of the stomach or something like that in order to rule that out. [..]
So, my question is: Would you recommend another check through, in order to rule out gall bladder or cyst? Or would you suggest to just leave it, until the pain might come back? :/

I would definitely do more tests, and those are very simple to do. Gallbladder ultrasound is done over the abdomen. For gynecological issues, a trans-vaginal ultrasound seems to be what the physicians now prefer. So, those are two different tests, 20 min or so each, and painless. They may not give you answers what to do, but will help rule things out or help you know exactly what you are dealing with. Good luck and good health to you.

I agree that it's a good idea to get checked out further, and at least rule things out. If you do a search on the forum, there's great information on thyroid dysfunction, gallbladder issues, etc. Especially in the "Life Without Bread" and "Dr. Jack Kruse - Neurosurgeon" threads. There are posts about Leptin Reset protocol for Leptin Resistance by Dr. Kruse (with links to the original source) in those threads which is related to thyroid and other issues.

A recent post in the Dr. Kruse thread has some helpful info:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26988.msg338399.html#new

And this post and the following one from Laura in the Life Without Bread (it also appears in the Dr. Kruse thread) thread gives the Leptin Reset info:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg329991.html#msg329991

But you should eventually read those and other threads in the Diet and Health section in their entirety. And again use the search function to find all related discussions/posts. Good luck and keep networking as needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom