Little question for Ryan...

Novelis

Jedi Master
Hello Ryan, this is just a silly question, but I'm just wondering why you've picked the word "tripod" in Chinese for your avatar?
I heard this is the word used to describe pots that the Chinese use to place incense sticks... Any connections?

:rolleyes:

Thanks

Aha, I think I understand now...
I looked up that word on your avatar in a Chinese dictionary and it said "Tripod", but it actually relates to hexagram 50 of the I ching - the cauldron.
I found a few images of the same character from different time periods...

caldron.jpg

hex50-a.gif

Cool!
On a side note, is anyone interested by Chinese etymology? I found a rather mint website if anyone's also interested.

http://www.internationalscientific.org

Talking of chinese writting and the likes...one of the funniest chinese writtings that i ever saw was on a wall in a british fish and chip shop....

I couldnt read it but it looked like a man flying through the air after being kicked up the bum by another man......like seeing images in clouds i suppose...

Anyway i then read the english translation...

it read..

please do not ask for credit as refusal often offends...

man i wet my pants there and then

Novelis said:
but it actually relates to hexagram 50 of the I ching - the cauldron.
I found a few images of the same character from different time periods...
Bingo! :D

Thanks for the link - I don't have time to read it right now, but I'll have a look later on.

Would that be the cauldron as in the alchemical crucible, as in Ryan? ;)

Just for fun, here is the text of a footnote of "The Cauldron" hexagram from Cary F. Baynes English rendering of Wilhelm's German translation of the I Ching.

There are beautiful examples of the ting in most of our museums, where they are classified as ritual vessels. The German word used by Wilhelm for ting is Tiegel, meaning literally "caldron" and, in another sense, "crucible." Since this characteristic Chinese vessel is unique in form, so different from either a caldron or crucible in the usual sense, the word ting has been retained wherever feasible here.
I find the second sentence to be quite interesting. :)

Back
Top Bottom