Lions for Lambs

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Anybody else seen this one? We just watched it and I urge everyone to watch it. Tom Cruise delivers a fantastic performance as a right wing pathological deviant. That's not to say he is because his company made the movie, so I suspect that the movie itself might be a statement.

Watch it. Watch it with some friends.

Laura said:
Watch it. Watch it with some friends.
I couldn't agree more!

***Don't read further if you haven't seen it and don't want to know about the details***

I particularly liked the way Cruise showed utter contempt for the reporter's well researched findings and her well argued skepticism of the official stance of the government.

She challenged his baseless declarations, and his reactions were very revealing as typically psychopathic, reflecting the attitude of someone who doesn't even understand the meaning of the word "fact".

He just flicks them away like some annoying bug and continues his rants about "staying the course", "patriotism", along with the typical fear mongering (lies) of what the "enemy" is capable of.

He even goes as far as saying that it's her “moral imperative” to report whatever he tells her to, and to propagate the declarations without question, just like, as he says, when 911 happened(!)

But that wasn't all to the movie, I thought there were many layers of meaning to this film, posing interesting questions about the dilemma facing people who see the lies in the media, older people who fought the monster, but eventually gave up the fight, and lastly, the position of young people everywhere who see the beast too.

Excellent film, I thought it was more than a statement, but a warning as well not to believe the latest lies regarding Iran.

Yes, it had many layers and the most incredible script! How well they captured the essence of the different personality types. I'm still not sure what I think about the two guys who joined the army - just not very bright, but well-meaning. How many people are like that?

I notice a gang of right wing critics on amazon - maybe those who see the true value of this movie could "equalize" this situation?

I also saw the film.
I think it was quite good and there should be more films like this one, but I get the feeling that the film is being used by certain groups to justify their inaction in front of or their downright collaboration with the Bush regime.
Special mention to the charcter played by Meryl Streep, the senior journalists. She looks all confused and full of remorse for having been used by the Administration to rally support for the Irak war. I can understand yourger journalists may be easier to manipulate, but senior ones should have seen all this before and if they 'go along with the party line' they know fully well what they are doing.

I also found very revealing, and it may partially explain the journalist's behaviour, how the senior journalists is swayed by the politician´s rethoric and although she begins the interview with a very healthy dose of skepticism, she is progressively dragged in to the psycopath´s net of lies, deception and garndiose and patriotic nonsense utterd by the politician.

I would have preferred if the two students had joined the army to pay university rather than out of sense of commitment/patriotism. I think it would have been closer to the truth...

All in all, good film and an excelent way to invest two hours, immo.

Hi. I watched this movie some months ago, so it's not fresh in my mind and some things I may not remember well.

I got a very different opinion. I was disappointed when I saw it because actually I thought it was way too soft on the US. The points of view of even the most critical characters in the movie don't even start to scratch the surface of the gravity of the situation. For starters, there is not one single mention - not spoken nor visually - of the suffering of Afghan or Iraqi people. They are simply not present nor represented in there. I found that quite discouraging, because if the movie is a reflection of the current debate in the US about the war, then it means that for the average American the suffering of 'the others' is simply not part of the equation. Nor is there any question about who these 'others' really are, what they want, how they see things, what's their history and context, if they really represent a threat or not, etc.

The debate as presented in the movie is all about what is the best way for America to manage its wars. Are they fought honorably? Are Americans dying? Are lies being told? All that is ok to put on the table, but it is nothing compared with what the civilians on the ground have had to go through. And the lies being discussed are not even remotely as bad and grotesque as the lies that were actually told to go to war! The movie works with the assumption that it is a justified war, after all. That the enemy ("Al Qaeda") exists, it's out there to get us, it's a threat and is eeevil, as opposed to 'us', who are 'good', but sometimes do a few little bad things.

I'm not sure that the director wanted to portray the character of Tom Cruise as psychopathic or evil. I got the feeling that it was more like "this is a guy who does some dirty things, but hey, some people in the administration think like that because they are tough and want to do the right thing in order to defend us".

If I remember correctly, the journalist's main concern was, again, how much will this new operation cost the US in soldier's lives, time and money? Will it be effective? It's all about the US and no one else. And no question about the underlying assumptions of the whole war in the first place.

And the other guy, the university professor, while he wants to be 'cool' and 'lefty', he still projects this idea that going to war for America can be a great thing to do if it's done for the right principles (which is what the two kids who go to war are supposed to do). The problem is that, as we all know, that is all fantasy. There have been no 'just wars' fought by America in the last half century. But defending that fantasy is what the movie is all about, as the title itself suggests: that there are brave and honorable soldiers fighting a 'good war' (the lions), but unfortunately, there are 'bad apples' like the Cruise character misdirecting everything (the lambs). And so, America risks losing its 'honorable and good ways' - as if it ever had any.

In short, I thought it was a very mild criticism of the right-of-the-center vs the extreme right. Or rather, it's a debate in which all is about America, the price it pays for war, and its fantasy of honor. Never mind that such fantasy has been used for decades to justify the murder and suffering of others. And if such debate offends the right-wingers in the US, imagine what the actual truth would do.

Sorry if this sounds harsh on the US and the movie, but as a non-US citizen, that's how I perceived it. Much more could have been criticized of Bush's wars - even without going into conspiracy terrain.

See Brian De Palma's latest movie, 'Redacted', for an example of how much more critical a movie can get. Too bad that no one saw it in the US. Even Michael Moore's 'Farenheit 9-11' was more incisive and to the point.

That's my opinion anyway.

the movie was good , but you're gonna be able to see beyond more and more layers as you are more and more aware of the truth , for an instance , if you have knowledge on psychopathy you will be able to understand the role of the politician played by tom cruise , or if you have common sense , you can see that it doesn't make sense the actions of the two students , being as smart as they are intended to be shown they are , they'd know better and just not join the army which is truly not helping any human being , and there's more glitches that you will be able to see if you have some awareness , but in its entirety , the movie was entertaining , not that i have hope that it will change anything or spread awareness, but it does awake some criticisms on the policies..... entertaining movie again , and as said above , they could've done better with that subject, in my experience i enjoyed it... ;)

apeguia said:
Hi. I watched this movie some months ago, so it's not fresh in my mind and some things I may not remember well.

I got a very different opinion. I was disappointed when I saw it because actually I thought it was way too soft on the US. [...]

Sorry if this sounds harsh on the US and the movie, but as a non-US citizen, that's how I perceived it. Much more could have been criticized of Bush's wars - even without going into conspiracy terrain.

See Brian De Palma's latest movie, 'Redacted', for an example of how much more critical a movie can get. Too bad that no one saw it in the US. Even Michael Moore's 'Farenheit 9-11' was more incisive and to the point.

That's my opinion anyway.
You're judging the value of the movie to awaken normal people - or even make some right wingers think - by the standards of someone who is already partly awake and generally left-leaning to begin with. For a movie that is obviously intended to make "regular people think," this was stunning. Most "regular people" will not even watch "redacted" because they know it is a "cinematic protest against the war." And if they do, their reactions will be generally negative as you can see by checking the amazon reviews.

Lions for Lambs is a very clever - even brilliant - piece of work aimed at a particular audience, for particular reasons. And the ethical issues are universal: isolationism and hedonism, vs. waking up and doing something which, of necessity, would include becoming aware of others and their situations.

Slowly, softly catchee monkey.

I watched movie 2 days ago and I am still thinking about the movie and now I see this post. I would share opinion that it is soft.
and..while I was listening Tom's speach I almost believe that it is promotion of goverment strategy (for someone who is faitful to the regime or however we might call it it can be good advertising) ...maybe it is a trap, half of the wiewers might thing that he is right even ..Im not US citizen, and while there was dictature in my country, some of my friends which were the supporters of regime could not understand even the parody of the existing dictature, all that they were doing is to take some of the sentences from the context and hold to them like crazy.... all the efforts of oposite strenghts if there were to profane or to mild stayed without results...some of movies in that period almost make the oposite efect...I will watch it again , Im still not sure what to think...

Mayb said:
Im not US citizen, and while there was dictature in my country, some of my friends which were the supporters of regime could not understand even the parody of the existing dictature
I also grew under a regime. Perahsp not as oppressive as the one you are talking about? I don't know. But for the supporters of the regime such a movie will not make a difference. Or it will make a difference, they will be really mad at what was said by others in the movie.

But for those hesitating and with brains - it may give an extra piece of a material to think about - even if subconsciously.

Or so I think.

Some of ya'll are missing the point; the movie is about what IS. It is about how the various sides see themselves and seek to be seen, to project. It is a stunningly accurate portrayal. Of course, each individual will see what they want to see. Those who fall into confluence with the Tom Cruise character and see that character as righteous and moral - well, that speaks for them.

What the movie tells me is that the people behind it see a LOT and were able to present it exactly as it is. The arguments Cruise uses, the passion, the self-righteousness, the refusal to self-examine, etc.

Streep's character is weak and needy and sells out in the end as you see from the stringer running across the bottom of the TV screen. But at least, for a moment, she saw... but she was just too weak.

Redford's character: sees all, but too old to do anything, looking for someone to do what he WOULD do if he weren't too old.

The young kid - gads, what a portrayal of our young people. So many of them DO see, but they are young, the battle is too hard, and they see maybe TOO much how futile it could be - that nobody else ever accomplished anything for long.

It's a brilliant movie, a brilliant script. If you are looking for anti-propaganda, this isn't it.

The movie does present things as they are in terms of public opinion and the different positions within the US. My problem is that without any context of reality and with very little contrasting with the crude facts on the ground (the few images of war are very sanitized and completely one-sided), the resulting message seems to be that those are the only reasonable options available, and therefore, the whole truth must be somewhere in there, perhaps between the journalist and the professor. (Judging by Robert Redford's Colgate smile, I think he represents the real opinion of the director ;) ) But I don't think those views are even close to how bad things really are.

Of course, someone who is well informed can learn a lot about human nature and how people are perceiving the war in the US, but how will the US public itself receive the movie? I'm afraid that most people will simply find confirmation of their views in any of the characters - which I find discouraging, because there is so much more to the war situation than what is presented in there.

Again, this is just my opinion and the way I read the intention of the director. Hopefully I'm wrong and it does help people wake up...

apeguia said:
The movie does present things as they are in terms of public opinion and the different positions within the US.
That's what made it so powerful - that it pretty accurately portrayed this.

apeguia said:
My problem is that without any context of reality and with very little contrasting with the crude facts on the ground (the few images of war are very sanitized and completely one-sided),
It's not a movie about the "crude facts on the ground" it is a movie about how the different people perceive things. The story about the two soldiers in Afghanistan is all the more poignant at the end when their reality is finally revealed as that which led to the total waste of their lives - that it was all basically for nothing even if they, individually, at least had the courage of their convictions.

It is entirely ironic to see that the far right can galvanize people, can move things, can suck people into such a reality that is entirely artificial, kill them, and care nothing about the people at all. It was a tragedy to see the gung-ho guys who were just tools, pawns, of the senator and his ilk, to learn their story, to discover how they were so misguided, yet, even misguided, they DID something.

apeguia said:
the resulting message seems to be that those are the only reasonable options available, and therefore, the whole truth must be somewhere in there, perhaps between the journalist and the professor. (Judging by Robert Redford's Colgate smile, I think he represents the real opinion of the director ;) ) But I don't think those views are even close to how bad things really are.
I think you are missing a whole lot of layers. You are emotionally invested in the horror of the war and your point of view and failing to see that this really was a powerful way to show how stupid the right wing version of reality is.

apeguia said:
Of course, someone who is well informed can learn a lot about human nature and how people are perceiving the war in the US, but how will the US public itself receive the movie? I'm afraid that most people will simply find confirmation of their views in any of the characters - which I find discouraging, because there is so much more to the war situation than what is presented in there.

Again, this is just my opinion and the way I read the intention of the director. Hopefully I'm wrong and it does help people wake up...
Like I said, you have a big emotional block here, I think.

The message of the film is to show that the right wing side activates people via lies, propaganda, power, etc and can even take in and manipulate good people who die uselessly, wasting their lives for lies, and that another way is possible, but that one has to rise out of apathy to do anything. The film is a plea for the American public to stop being so apathetic about our position in the global community and to get moving in ways OTHER than the stupidity of joining the army or believing in right wing lies.

The feeling that one is left with about the kids in the army is "what a waste of good kids who believed lies." The were, at least, committed to acting for change, but it is clear that their commitment was manipulated and followed lies. All that is made clear in the exchange between the journalist and the senator which is going on while those kids are out there dying because they believed lies while that slimy guy is ranting and raving and the journalist - a symbolic mother, even - is pointing out his lies and the faultiness in his reasoning. Then, she has to confront her own complicity by seeing how she supported the guy in the beginning. It's a horribly tragic moment. It hits you in the stomach.

In the end, the message about the journalist is: even if she was a decent person, as all Americans think they are, she didn't have the courage of her convictions, to stand up against the system that she had finally begun to understand as a lying, corrupt, death machine. The last time you see her is tearfully gazing out the window at Arlington National Cemetery and you know that she knows that more and more young kids are going to die. It makes you feel terrible to know that she couldn't do it - it hits you in the gut that there are so many like her and, because of that, more kids like the two shown in the movie, will die for nothing.

Regarding the kid in college: he is so typical of the average American that your heart just aches. You are left not knowing what he is going to do the same way we are left not knowing if the American people are going to wake up and DO anything or not.

You seem to want the movie to provide answers, to tell people what to do, to shove it in their faces. It isn't that easy. The movie does not give the answers, it just makes you FEEL and THINK if you are capable of either or both. The movie shows the realities of what Americans understand, and shows those realities in tragic, heart-breaking ways, and by this heartbreak, challenges people to ask themselves why they, individually, are remaining passive.

This movie is about a message that is illustrated by the juxtaposition of the three interwoven threads each of which produces powerful emotional reactions. If it is only your mind that engages, you won't get the message.

One reviewer on amazon put it very well:

...while Senator Irving and Reporter Roth are debating the pro and con of this War; while Professor Malloy tries to light a fire under his apathetic student; two idealistic young men, full of potential, fight with their last breaths because they believe it takes personal sacrifice to make the U.S.A. a better, safer place.
And in the end, it is that irony that hurts most of all.

Another reviewer also "got it":

I saw this film with my son, who is a senior in high school. He is a very cynical idealist, very smart, who wants to do something to improve the world, but is almost hopeless than anything can be done to fix the rampant incompetence and dysfunctionality in government and politics, the lack of principle and competence in almost every field of American endeavor, and the pervasive "anything for a buck" mentality. He is such a believer, but he is so angry and disillusioned as well. The only one out there who seems to understand what's going on and see through all the sheer idiocy that passes for public discourse is Jon Stewart, and he's essentially a comedian.

There was no one out there speaking to him until this movie. I was astonished, and very moved, that someone cared enough to sit down and talk to my son right where he lived, and tell him what he most needs to hear. Robert Redford wasn't speaking only to the kid in the movie; he was speaking to this new generation. To me, the words he spoke were holy and precious, not because of political content, but because they were meant to alight and encourage a sense of purpose and hope that is too easily snuffed out and stunted today, both by the many pretty, mind-numbing distractions available to our youth and the fact that almost no one seems to be acting out of sheer principle. I had to stop and sob a little at the end of the movie, I was so moved and grateful that someone cared enough to speak to my son and so many others like him to try to ignite the flame of hope again, to realize that if these problems are ever going to be solved, it will only come through a dedication of spirit, commitment of the body, rolling up of the sleeves, getting to work, becoming expert, and going out there to make things better. The movie was meant to demonstrate that the sacrifices of those who have given their lives in support of our ideals demand no less.

So thank you, Robert Redford and crew. There are some who are listening and heeding the call.

I too shed tears at the end of the movie when I saw the ticker tape while the college kid was watching TV. To me, the most tragic part was right there. The reporter sold out. She could SEE what was happening. You could see that she had a consienceness about it all, and she just simply bent over and sold out. She couldn't find the power to do what she knew was right. She chose to keep her job and to continue passing on the lies. Why? Was she too hopeless? Was she tired? Did she think nothing mattered anymore? Maybe one could examine the archetype here of the mother/female energy who has lost her power.

With all knowledge, she chose the path of waste and death.

From the perspective of her soul, I see a contraction. Entrophy.

On the otherhand, the two soldiers, although they chose a path that was a deadend and a waste because it was based on incorrect knowledge/lies, at least they chose to do something. They were dumb, but noble. From the perspective of their souls, I see expansion and growth.

Great, great movie.

I just have to say that I'm pleased to hear others have found the movie provoking. I so wanted to talk to someone about this movie after I watched it and I had no one that I really could bounce my thoughts off of.

My dear husband was not really interested in the movie when I rented it, so I watched it myself. When I told him there were rangers in the movie, he decided to watch it. My hubby is an (ex)-army ranger (which is what the soldiers were in the movie) and when he watched it with me he didn't have much to say except, of course, the inaccuracies of the military scenes and naming weapons and aircraft. LOL. But I do know that it impressed him. He is sort of the silent type, and very patriotic; but he has said several times to myself and others that if his son was in Iraq right now, he would personally go in and bring him home. And he could do it.

One more for his stance against the PTB regarding current military involvement. This, however is not in any way an easy stance for him. I feel that he walks around with a broken heart about our country.

Back
Top Bottom