Lectins - a defense mechanism of plants

Thanks Data for compiling these links. And Psyche and Laura for pointing me in the right direction. :-[

I'm admittedly still a bit confused on the issue, maybe due to information overload but I think the answers will present themselves in time. I'll soon try the elimination diet again without foods that are now considered suspect such as brown rice. Don't know how I missed these newer discoveries. :huh:

From the information provided, it sounds like white rice is ok(neutral) while experimenting with other foods?

Would it be reasonable to reintroduce a few items like lentils and black beans(soaked, cooked properly) after a 10 day elimination or just avoid altogether?

Our pantry is pretty stocked with organic brown rice and a variety of legumes, moreso now after throwing out the pastas. Should they be tossed also? Wait for more info and experiment? Are some just more sensitive than others and these foods are truly harmful to all?

What are you all doing in this regard? Finding/affording organic meat on a daily basis is somewhat tricky in our area. Trying to explain this new approach to the family isn't going to be easy either as rice, beans, tomatoes, onions and garlic have all played a large role in our diet.

I appreciate any thoughts/advice.

I'm not sure if I'm just not sensitive enough to detect problems with the lectins in brown rice and legumes, but after eliminating them for two weeks and reintroducing them I didn't notice any problems at all. I've been eating them ever since. This being said, I am blood type A, which I believe may be more suited to a diet that includes some grains and legumes. FWIW...

I would say that if they don't bother you, it is okay to eat them but be aware that if they are not prepared properly, they can still do damage "silently." So I would advised soaking all beans and lentils and brown rice overnight before cooking.

cholas said:
From the information provided, it sounds like white rice is ok(neutral) while experimenting with other foods?

Would it be reasonable to reintroduce a few items like lentils and black beans(soaked, cooked properly) after a 10 day elimination or just avoid altogether?

Our pantry is pretty stocked with organic brown rice and a variety of legumes, moreso now after throwing out the pastas. Should they be tossed also? Wait for more info and experiment? Are some just more sensitive than others and these foods are truly harmful to all?

Your question about rice is difficult to answer. In Japan rice is said to be the no. 1 cause of allergies but I have no information, whether white rice is harmless or not. Probably it is not because most people eat white rice. I think the only way to find this out for yourself is an elimination diet.

broken.english said:
cholas said:

Your question about rice is difficult to answer. In Japan rice is said to be the no. 1 cause of allergies but I have no information, whether white rice is harmless or not. Probably it is not because most people eat white rice. I think the only way to find this out for yourself is an elimination diet.

Yep! I agree.

I found out that once I quit the beans and rice, I had more improvement in my condition, both physically and mentally. So the best thing to do is not eat them for a couple of weeks and then try them one at a time to see how they affect you.

fwiw

Added: BTW, Data, thank you for doing this. It is a great idea!

Sayer Ji (author of Opening Pandora's Box: The Critical Role of Wheat Lectin in Human Disease) has a new blog post:
Beyond Gluten-Free: The Critical Role of Chitin-Binding Lectins in Human Disease

Beyond Gluten-Free: The Critical Role of Chitin-Binding Lectins in Human Disease said:
While eliminating wheat from the diet is an excellent and necessary step for improving health, it may not be alone sufficient, especially in those with serious health challenges. There are other lectins in the Western diet that have properties similar to wheat lectin (WGA), namely, "chitin-binding lectins." Remember, "chitins" are long polymers of n-acetyl-glucosamine, the primary binding target of wheat lectin. Wheat lectin and "chitin-binding lectin" therefore are functionally identical. These chitin-binding lectin containing foods are:

1) Potato

2) Tomato

3) Barley

4) Rye

4) Rice

Yes, you are seeing correctly: "gluten free" potato and rice, which are two of the most commonly used ingredients in "gluten and wheat free" products, are on this list. These foods contain a lectin structurally and functionally similar to wheat lectin. While the "nightshade" connection with inflammation has a well-established history, even if the scientific explanation for the connection has been somewhat lacking (perhaps until now), the fact that RICE is on this list amounts to a dietary bombshell. This may also explain why the grain-free diet often produces such superior over simply the wheat or gluten-grain restricted diet and why in some cases elimating rice may be necessary for full recovery from diet-induced or diet-related ailments.

Why These Lectins Explain Our Dependence on NSAIDs and Glucosamine

Because many tissues within humans are comprised of n-acetyl-glucosame (a chitin-like substance) the consumption of seemingly innocuous foods such as listed above could result in a wide range of adverse effects (see list above on WGA's 9 potentially toxic effects). The fact that so many Americans consume at least two or three of the above foods (plus wheat) daily expains, for one, why degenerative joint disease (i.e. osteoarthritis) is the rule, not the exception in Western societies, especially in our aging populations. This should explain the connection further:

One way to gauge just how pervasive the adverse effects of these foods are among Western populations is the popularity of the dietary supplement glucosamine. In the USA, a quarter billion dollars’ worth of glucosamine is sold annually.The main source of glucosamine on the market is from the N-Acetylglucosamine rich chitin exoskelotons of crustaceans, like shrimp and crab. Glucosamine is used for reducing pain and inflammation. We do not have a dietary deficiency of the pulverized shells of dead sea critters, just as our use of NSAIDs is not caused by a deficiency of these synthetic chemicals in our diet. When we consume glucosamine supplements, the chitin-binding lectins in our foods, instead of binding to our tissues, bind to the pulverized chitin in the glucosamine supplements, sparing us from their full impact. Many millions of Americans who have greatly reduced their pain and suffering by ingesting glucosamine and NSAIDs may be better served by removing chitin-binding lectin containing foods (the underlying cause of their malaise) from their diets. This would result in even greater relief from pain and inflammation along with far less dependency on palliative supplements and medicines alike.

The connection between these chitin-binding lectins and NSAID/Glucosamine dependency has now been explained, but this is only the tip of the "lectin" iceberg. I believe that an in depth investigation into wheat lectin/chitin-binding lectin will reveal that these "invisible thorns" are a rather dominant contributing factor to morbidity and mortality in Westernized socieities.

I am looking for a list of product with the "bad" lectins. So this link seems to be what I'm looking for :

Lectins in Edible Foods & ABO Reactions

I just want to be sure of what says this table.

If I well understand it :

More there is "+" signs more we must avoid food, and if there is a "-" sign we can eat it ?

Is that correct ?

Goemon_ said:
I am looking for a list of product with the "bad" lectins. So this link seems to be what I'm looking for :

Lectins in Edible Foods & ABO Reactions

I just want to be sure of what says this table.

If I well understand it :

More there is "+" signs more we must avoid food, and if there is a "-" sign we can eat it ?

Is that correct ?

What table is that? I believe that 'bad' lectins are an ongoing topic of research, where funding can be found. And by the way, lectins are produced by animals as well as plants. I don't know if there are 'bad' animal lectins, but I would suspect so -- just not as common.

Lectin sensitivity may vary for each individual, so any list of them may not apply precisely to you.

I really wish we had more information.

Lectin sensitivity is very much related to blood type. From reading "Eat Right for Your Type" and "Live Right for Your Type" by Dr. Peter d'Adamo as well as from other material I've learned which foods to avoid because of lectin sensitivity related to my blood type. This knowledge has made a huge difference to my digestion and to my health in general.

Megan] What table is that? [/quote] I think this is the lectin table. Later quote is from this page. _http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Lectins_in_Foods.html [quote author=Elizabeth said:
Lectin sensitivity is very much related to blood type.

The above lectin reference claims:
Most lectins, in plant species, are NOT ABO blood type specific. Even fewer EDIBLE plants have lectins that are ABO type specific.

This list does conflict with the information of the various incarnations of 'blood type diets', as far as specific foods agglutinating certain of the ABO blood types only. However, this information below has been derived directly from the published scientific literature and studies which are listed in the references which follow this list. It is not known where the authors of these diet books came up with their ABO blood-type agglutination data, it is definitely false when compared to published scientific studies.
...almost every food reacts identically with each blood type. So, what is the basis for the Blood Type Diet??? Answer: There IS NO basis. It's a pure scam.

Elizabeth said:
Lectin sensitivity is very much related to blood type. From reading "Eat Right for Your Type" and "Live Right for Your Type" by Dr. Peter d'Adamo as well as from other material I've learned which foods to avoid because of lectin sensitivity related to my blood type. This knowledge has made a huge difference to my digestion and to my health in general.

I have found the information in Eat Right for Your Type to not be true for me, and I am a type A.

After doing the detox diet, I have found that just about all fruits and vegetables inflame me. I have had various responses such as back pain, aches in other parts of my body and joints, asthma attacks, stuffiness, etc. to occur when eating just about any vegetable or fruit - not to mention the evil gluten and dairy. So I am not giving much credence to this book anymore.

The only way for someone to find out what they can and cannot eat is to go on an elimination diet and then bring in the foods one at a time.

I've found that the low carbohydrate/high fat/meat diet is the one for me, and, like I said, I'm a type A. I eat almost all fat/meat products with very little veggies - some green beans, zucchini and summer squash. These are the least inflammatory for me. However, I don't even eat these every day.

Elizabeth said:

There is so much "health information" out there that is not objectively based. I have Eat Right for Your Type and while the information matched my personal experience to a considerable degree, I have no reason now to believe or not believe what it says.

I contrast that with, for example, Why We Get Fat where I was able to read the book, apply the information to my diet, and see lifelong health issues correct themselves within a week or two, and to do so in a predictable way. Had d'Adamo shown any knowledge of nutrition on the level we are learning about now, I might take a closer look, but when I look at what he is doing today I see a business, with products and services and an endorsement from Dr. Oz.

There might be value in d'Adamo's work, but I don't see that lectin sensitivity according to blood type has been established, and I don't know what to do with the mixed results I have seen with his diet, lacking an underlying scientific theoretical model.

While I'm not attached to any one health theory, I do appreciate the importance of individual chemistry as one of the more important factors. This is recognized not only in Dr. D'Adamo's blood type approach to diet but also in the ancient teachings of Ayur Veda where they talk about Vata, Pitta, and Kapha types.

In his more recent work, Dr. D'Adamo has further refined his original recommendations by noting the importance of "secretor" status and "genome type" in determining what foods are appropriate. Apparently, the great majority of people secrete blood type antigens into all bodily fluids, thus adding an additional level of defense or immunity. "Non-secretors," however, (representing about 20% of the population) are more vulnerable since they do not do this, and this makes a big difference to their food choices. "Genome type" (which can be determined by body structure as well as by such things as the shape of the teeth) also modifies the original blood type dietary recommendations.

An individual is a configuration of 1001 factors, so in the end it seems we each have to learn from trial and error what works and what doesn't.

Psyche said:
Psyche said:
...and rice has gluten-like proteins that has proved problematical for a lot of people.

Speaking of which, this article about it was just published recently:

I've been meaning to post the following for a while but never got round to do it. Below is an excerpt of an interview with Mat Lalonde entitled "Invalid Inferences". It was part of the Paleo Summit mentioned earlier in this thread, and although Mat doesn't seem to have a good grasp on the effects of ketosis and the real reasons for a low carb diet (but that isn't the point of his interview either) he gives a couple of pointers as to what appear to be some common misconceptions. What I'm posting below refers to lectins, versus proteins in legumes and grains. Sorry that it's a bit long, but if I try to cut out more portions I'm afraid we'll probably lose the full context.

Mat Lalonde said:
Sean: Letʼs get into anti-nutrients because they come up a lot in Paleo talk. In your AHS
presentation, you talked about phytates, saponins, oxalates, lectins, wheat germ
agglutinin (WGA), and some enzyme inhibitors. By now, I hope that our audience is
pretty familiar with most of those.
But before I ask you about them individually, I want to go over a series of questions
regarding these anti-nutrients that people should be asking before making claims about
them. So, go ahead and comment on these questions that you listed. The first one is,
“Does processing, such as hulling, soaking, germination, fermentation, and cooking
eliminate, degrade, or denature the compound or modify the anti-nutrientʼs activity?”

Mat: Actually, if you go online and you just google my name and the AHS talk, itʼll come
up and you can watch it for free. And on there, thereʼs a slide where I think thereʼs about
ten questions that I ask myself when Iʼm trying to determine whether or not an antinutrient
is going to be problematic. And those four questions that you have here are
highlighting stuff like that.
So why is it important to do that? Well, you know, Iʼm going to have to name names
here, and I donʼt like to do that. But, Loren Cordain has a talk on YouTube where heʼs
giving it in Calgary. And I think itʼs for multiple sclerosis, but Iʼm not one hundred percent
sure. And heʼs talking about the Paleo diet and he is going on and on about lectins and
how theyʼre bad. And it turns out that lectins are, in fact, really bad. They are very
difficult to digest. They will get to the gut. They can get into the bloodstream. The peanut
lectin is probably one of the reasons why peanuts are so allergenic.

But it turns out that most of the really problematic lectins - maybe for the exception of a
few lectins in nuts and legumes, like the peanut lectin - most of them are completely decomposed with heat and cooking. And we do not eat raw grains.
There might be one
exception there, and thatʼs wheat germ agglutinin. Some people will actually get that
with wheat germ. Theyʼll consume wheat germ because they think itʼs healthy for them,
and then theyʼll get exposed to wheat germ agglutinin because the wheat germ is not
cooked.
But there are experiments and papers out there that I showed in my talk where people
are taking even lectin-enriched pastas, and they cook them just like normal pasta and
itʼs undetectable at the end. And that is true of the lectins of wheat germ agglutinin,
which is really problematic. Many of the lectins that are in legumes like PHA,
phytohemagglutinin, is another one.
So, I think that the risk of that has been overblown. And the risk there is that if you say
that to a plant biologist who is familiar with that stuff, you have just lost all credibility.
That plant biologist would think, “Okay, this person is an extremist.” Theyʼll turn around
and not listen to you, and theyʼll tell anyone that they can that youʼre full of it. And thatʼs
pretty dangerous.

There are some lectins, like I said, that are not decomposed by heating. Some in nuts
as well as the one in peanuts, specifically. So thatʼs not too surprising to me that those
are some of the most allergenic foods.
But when you are trying to determine whether or
not this anti-nutrient is problematic, like I said, you have to go through this list of
questions. You have to ask, “What kind of processing did this go through? Was it
hulled? Was it soaked, germinated, fermented, cooked? And what kind of affect does
that have on the anti-nutrient? Does it get degraded in the digestion process? Has it
been studied as part of food or was it just given to a critter in isolation? (Because that
really does not mimic what would happen in real life.) Are we talking about just in vitro
studies or in vivo studies?” All these things are very important to ask.

A couple of other anti-nutrients I should talk about are saponins and some phytates. So
saponins and glycoalkaloids are very similar compounds, but theyʼre not identical. So
donʼt mix the two because a scientist who knows this stuff is probably going to call you
out on it. But those things are defense chemicals that are made by plants. They have a
variety of biological activity and chemists love to study this stuff - very small variations in
molecules that are going to change the biological activity and give you either a
beneficial effect, no effect, or maybe some kind of detrimental effect. We donʼt know.
So I looked at all of that literature and some of these compounds are actually good.

Some of them are known to be anti-carcinogenic. Now, the problem with that is that if
itʼs been tested in a test tube, then you donʼt know what side effects it could have. So
thatʼs a caveat. The only one that I can say thereʼs enough evidence to say that it is bad
is quillaja saponin. This is something that is isolated from the soapbark tree. It is an oral
adjuvant, which means itʼs going to prime your immune system to attack foreign
substances. This is something thatʼs great for putting in a vaccine, not so great for
putting into food. And it turns out that itʼs used as an emulsifying agent in food. Youʼll
find it in a lot of junk food like soda and stuff like that. So, that one I can tell you is very
problematic.

But thereʼs another family thatʼs found in ginseng thatʼs thought to be anti-carcinogenic.
They fed it to people, and they noticed that they have to feed super large quantities to
even detect some of the metabolites in the blood. So for example, it was where one of
the sugars has been cleaved or something like that, so itʼs not the intact compound. And
again, thatʼs one mistake I would say that Loren Cordain makes. He doesnʼt differentiate
any of them. And like I said if the structure is a little bit different, itʼs going to have
different properties. He thinks that all of them are bad and he says, “Look, this food has
a lot of it, and this food has a lot of it.” But really when I look at it, thereʼs just really little
thatʼs known about whether they resist heat. They donʼt appear to resist digestive
enzymes because when theyʼre absorbed, they show up in the blood in a slightly
different form.
(...)

Sean: From a practical point of view, Iʼm sure our audience out there is really confused.
Theyʼre thinking, “Hey, I stopped eating grains and this food and the other food because
of the saponins or because of the lectins. Now youʼre saying that theyʼre not all bad.
So do we choose foods on an individual basis? How do we make this practical for
people?”

Mat: When I have looked at the totality of the evidence, and when it comes to grains
and legumes, I am pretty sure that it is the proteins that are problematic.
And thatʼs
going to be the subject of my next HS talk probably. So, gluten is very problematic.
Gluten is part of the family of proteins called prolamines. Prolamins
are prolein-rich proteins that are very difficult to digest because human beings donʼt
have really good prolyl oligopeptidase enzymes to cleve the peptide bonds. And these
peptides can mess with various receptors in the gut. Some of them are excitotoxins.
They have various activities. And with gluten alone there are like 50 different variations
of peptides, depending on where you cut the protein, that can be problematic. This was
a recent paper by Fasano that has stated as much.
So if you look at the other prolamins that are in grains or their equivalent in legumes and
such like that, that are called globulins that are also problematic, theyʼre very allergenic,
actually. I think that this explains what weʼre seeing as opposed to the other antinutrients.

ADDED: Oops! This was to be posted on the "Life Without Bread" thread. Since it may also be apropriate for this thread I'll leave it here for now, and copy past this post into LWB as well. If the mods find it too repetitive, please delete either post. Apologies for the confusion!

Back
Top Bottom