Kung fu bear

Gertrudes said:
Guardian said:
SORRY Tigersoap !
And a GIANT oops from me here!

:-[ :-[ I should also mention that I have been reading Tigersoap as Tigersoup until now!!

Sorry from me as well Tigersoap!

HaHa don't worry it's funny, I thought about that enough myself.

Hey...I can't help it I am very yummy :cool2: :halo: :P

JEEP said:
Although on the surface, this bear's antics appear quite entertaining and fascinating, I can't help but wonder if it's a form of bear "psychosis"? After all, this bear is relegated to a captive, unnatural environment in which his food is provided and his territory is severely limited. Were he a creature still in the wild, he would have access to perhaps hundreds of miles of territory in which to hunt, find and mate with a bear of his own species, and if female, birth and raise offspring. Being denied his natural environment, this poor bear must instead turn to artificial amusements of twirling cut saplings. It did make me think of trained circus bears and the terrible lives they lead:

http://www.savethebears.co.uk/circus-bears.shtml said:
Strange behaviour shown by circus bears

Almost all circus animals show a certain stereotypic behaviour, which clearly tells the story behind their growth in the circus atmosphere. Bears are no exception to this behaviour, as pacing, bar biting, self-mutilation, head rolling, rocking, licking, neck twisting, self-clutching and swaying from side to side, are very common signs seen among the circus bears.

The behaviour is basically developed due to the lack of everything that bears enjoy in the wild—space, freedom, and resources that are on their own disposal. The confinement and small enclosures make the worst for the bears, as their big size and roaming nature never settles in these cages, and they start showing aforementioned signs.

Although this zoo is a much better environment than a circus, don't kid yourself that this bear is exhibiting "normal" behavior. More likely his only option for distraction in his highly unnatural confines.

Yup, these repetitive behaviours are called 'stereotypy' and are quite common in mammals which would have large territories in the wild such as bears and big cats. If the enclosure in the video is as small as it appears to be then it's no surprise.

Back
Top Bottom