Knowledge=FreeWill=WillPower?

Thank you for this information Obyvatel. I agree that at first the will-power muscle is weak. As exercises continue, the mind fights an intense emotional battle. Consistency is the key, and over time new habits become part of character. But one has to truly want change to begin with or the exercises are fruitless. And that want/need must stay strong. Just my view and experience...

Al Today said:
Thank you for this information Obyvatel. I agree that at first the will-power muscle is weak. As exercises continue, the mind fights an intense emotional battle. Consistency is the key, and over time new habits become part of character. But one has to truly want change to begin with or the exercises are fruitless. And that want/need must stay strong. Just my view and experience...

I agree. I also think it's important to know what's going on with us physiologically, neurologically, and psychologically to be able to reduce pitfalls as much as possible.

Yes, thankyou Obyvatel, I find it valuable to have these perspectives to recognize the dynamics. Especially the moral licensing system seems quite the weight on falling asleep, treading water betweeen two steps ahead and the same or more back. I recall many times of having defeated some particular compulsion which activates the self gratifying notion that one can relax and adaptively thinking that one has actually achieved something worth a holiday. Again and again abiding to system 1's lazyness ideal, only to wake up again when the pain of automatic life becomes loud enough to notice. Thankfully growing awareness and seeing the motivation to do the opposite to this proclivity will shorten the gaps of system 1's rule.

SeekinTruth said:
Tigersoap said:
Thanks for sharing this Obyvatel.
I definitely see these behaviors in action within me.

Yeah, that sheds some light on a lot of things. Thanks for sharing.

I agree. Thanks for the post Obyvatel. It gives me lots of good food for thought when trying to strengthen my willpower.

I think the idea of being too hard on yourself and then trying to avoid those feelings of guilt is related to the G quote "every stick has two ends." I think I'm slowly learning that using guilt as a motivator to do the Work does not help. Also in a similar vein is the self-congratulation and consequently giving in to self-indulgence. As I keep falling down and picking myself up again I see the importance of reining back emotions from going to my head. Thanks obyvatel!

willpower (n) - Bing Dictionary
will·pow·er [ wíl pòwr ]

1. determination and self-discipline: a combination of determination and self-discipline that enables somebody to do something despite the difficulties involved

Willpower to me is having the Will and commitment to do whatever one seeks to accomplish. Having the will or not changes everything, the choice ultimately is ours. Many times when one is in pain or agony it takes soulpower to force oneself to move about or even having an interest in doing so.

For example, after a major surgery people fall into at least two categories 1. Those who are self motivated to improve their condition and limit the assistance of others 2. Those who depend on others to motivate them for their own healing.

My observation over the years of being in and out of hospitals and rehabilitation centers is either the willingness of the person to assist in their own healing process or the dependence on others for successes or failures. The other observation was how the person felt about themselves and their life. For example, roomates of mine that were kind in life generally were even kinder under painful or difficult circumstances. Roomates that were miserable and blamed the world for their suffering usually were even more miserable to everyone around even family members.

As for myself, there was a period of time when in order to function "normally" would require me to stay in a semi meditative state. I cannot begin to count the number of times my body has gotten me from point A to B to C without too much physical effort on my part. Every time I get up to do anything, I must will myself to walk. I'm sure many people with challenges have had to think about the act of walking before they take one step. It wasn't until I became a person with a disability that I had to actually process my actions before taking them. Even when going out, almost everything has to be planned out in my mind before even leaving the house. All this takes even more energy than getting up a going.

There are times when I wanted to give up because I thought the energy required I no longer had. However, after deciding never to give up I engage and access the willingness inside of me, there is almost nothing I cannot do.

The EE breathing, meditation, along with daily doses of coconut water, coconut oil, metal and physical exercises and the Paleo-Diet has helped my 1000 fold. The old saying "Where there is the Will, there is a Way", and Thank you has helped me out of more situations than I can begin to share.

Thanks Obyvatel. I gave up sugar and it snuck back in when I wasn't looking. This casts a new light on my struggle and helps a lot.

Just by the way: how many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
One. But the light bulb has to really want to change! :lol:

There is further discussion of Baumeister's work here, accompanied by some additional studies regarding the role of glucose levels.
_http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html?pagewanted=all

I can't put my hand on it right now, but I just read another study that demonstrated with functional MRI's that the same area of the brain is used for will power and decision-making. Baumeister's work addresses the functional, immediate connection between these (i.e. depletion of energy by one, weakens the function of the other soon thereafter, prior to recovery of energy/glucose levels).

But in terms of the development of the brain structure, it seems that if we apply the "use it or lose it" principle, then longterm effects could be that the lack of regular exercise of the mind to make decisions would cause a certain atrophy of that part of the brain. Once that atrophy occurred, then not only would making decisions be more difficult, but also, exerting will power would be more difficult.

Decision making requires fact gathering--searching for the truth--and is a large part of taking responsibility for one's life. It is also a large component of exercising free will.

Other studies have shown that people are happier the less choices they have because they don't have to make as many decisions.

So, as Laura has decried in her recent article (about the world ending in 2012), that explains a lot of how society is digging their own grave. Most people would rather avoid decision making, with it's requisite search for facts, and relinquish that to some authority promising to take care of them. This then causes atrophy of the brain in that same part of the brain that's needed to exercise will power. So at some point, they are completely at the mercy of untrustworthy authorities, can no longer make decisions, and have become unable to exert their will if and when they realize their predicament.

You can build will power, apparently:

How Focus Builds Brain Connections

Dr. David Perlmutter

Neurons develop a relationship that facilitates future coordinated activation as a response to being repeatedly stimulated.

This is how networks are constructed.

While it is quaint to consider the beauty of Tiger Woods’ golf swing as representing a pinnacle in the development of “muscle memory,” the real credit for his performance lies in the memory encoded in the neural networks in his brain that have been refined through years of practice.

But it takes more than simple repetition of a stimulation or activity to create the brain connections that lead to the formation of neural networks. Dr. Michael Merzenich, professor emeritus at the University of California, San Francisco, performed a series of experiments in the mid 1990s demonstrating the importance of attention in the formation of neural networks.

In one experiment he applied a tapping stimulus to the fingers of two groups of monkeys. Occasionally, the rhythm of the tapping would change. In one group, responding to the change in the tapping would result in a reward; a sip of juice. In the other monkeys, a change in the tapping did would not provide any reward, even if the monkeys responded to the change.

After six weeks, examination of the monkey’s brains revealed profound changes in the monkeys who, by virtue of being rewarded, paid close attention to the stimulus, waiting for the rhythm change.

Specifically, changes were recorded in the specific area of their brains that was involved in processing stimulation to the fingers. No such changes were observed in the monkeys who weren’t paying attention to the stimulus, despite the fact that the stimulus, the tapping on their fingers, was exactly the same.

Looking back on these results and considering the implications for humans, Dr. Merzenich remarked, ”Experience coupled with attention leads to physical changes in the structure and future functioning of the nervous system. This leaves us with a clear physiological fact…moment by moment we choose and sculpt how our ever-changing minds will work, we choose who we will be the next moment in a very real sense, and these choices are left embossed in physical form on our material selves…” In essence, creating neural networks, and indeed the process of neuroplasticity, requires focused attention.

As Dispenza stated,”The key ingredient in making these neural connections…is focused attention. When we mentally attend to whatever we are learning, the brain can map the information on which we are focusing. On the other hand, when we don’t pay complete attention to what we are doing in the present moment, our brain activates a host of other synaptic networks that can distract it from its original attention. Without focused concentration brain connections are not made, and memory is not stored.”

And as Sharon Begley summarized in a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, “The discovery that neuroplasticity cannot occur without attention has important implications. If a skill becomes so routine you can do it on autopilot, practicing it will no longer change the brain. And if you take up mental exercises to keep your brain young, they will not be as effective if you become able to do them without paying much attention.”

So becoming mentally engaged with an activity is requisite for learning that activity. We can choose to strengthen those pathways that serve us in positive ways.

And as we will see later on, this is the science that underlies our ability to choose to enhance our ability to connect with the divine energy field that permeates our existence. Moreover, the corollary of Dr. Hebb’s “neurons that fire together, wire together” thesis provides the understanding that neurons that don’t fire together may ultimately not remain wired together.

So activities need to be maintained if they if their neural networks are to remain functional. This may sound familiar and distressing, but the “glass full” aspect of this concept is that it allows for the disappearance of dysfunctional or detrimental networks when attention is directed away from them.

Research now demonstrates that just the mental aspect of an activity is enough to create the neural connections associated with learning it. In 1995, Dr. Pascuel-Leone conducted experiments in which he demonstrated changes in the brains of individuals only mentally practicing a piano exercise. These brain changes were virtually identical to those seen in subjects who actually physically practiced the instrument. These subjects demonstrated that the mere act of thinking about an activity imparted physical changes in the brain.

And it is this profound discovery that has become a focal point of unified interest in discourse amongst philosophers, scientists, and theologians alike. As Schwartz and Begley propose in their groundbreaking book, The Mind and the Brain,

“ … the time has come for science to confront the serious implications of the fact that directed, willed mental activity can clearly and systematically alter brain function; that the exertion of willful effort generates physical force that has the power to change how the brain works and even its physical structure. The result is directed neuroplasticity.”

David Perlmutter, M.D., FACN is recognized internationally as a leader in the field of nutritional influences in neurological disorders. A board-certified neurologist, Dr. Perlmutter is the author of bestselling books including Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment and The Better Brain Book .

Dr. Perlmutter has appeared on 20/20, Larry King Live, CNN, Fox News, Fox and Friends , the Today show, The Oprah Show, and The Early Show on CBS. He serves as medical director of the Perlmutter Health Center in Florida and is an adjunct instructor at the Institute for Functional Medicine.

obyvatel said:
[quote author=Willpower Instinct]
Progress can be motivating, and even inspire future self-control, but only if you view your actions as evidence that you are committed to your goal. ... These two mindsets have very different consequences. When people who have taken a positive step toward meeting a goal - for example exercising, studying or saving money - are asked, "How much progress do you feel you have made on your goal?" they are far more likely to then do something that conflicts with that goal, like skip the gym the next day, hang out with friends instead of studying, or buy something expensive. In contrast, people who are asked "How committed do you feel to your goal" are not tempted by the conflicting behavior. A simple shift in focus leads to a very different interpretation of their own actions - "I did that because I wanted to", not "I did that, great, now I can do what I really want!".

A consistent reminder of the overall aim is thus necessary to stay on track. Reiterating the aim to oneself periodically may be of help in this regard. Another suggestion coming from research is that when attempting to change a behavior, aiming to reduce the variability in the behavior is useful. Instead of setting unrealistic goals in changing a behavior (like aiming to exercise everyday and failing at it) starting off with achievable goals and aiming to stick to it (exercise twice a week and keep track of the variability) yields better results.

[/quote]

Very interesting...and very true! If one of our pre self set tasks takes an overwhelming effort, we are therefore more likely to engage in self gratifying behavior. One of the keys seems to lie in consistently setting ourselves small achievable aims, and remembering them.

Regarding willpower, after having read Laura's post on how Benjamin Franklin set himself to improve his character by working 13 self set main virtues, I decided to try something similar, and have been working first and foremost on self discipline. I realized that that was a priority for me at the moment. I have set a couple of small tasks, I wrote them on my journal and every night I review them, and often write them again. It has been incredibly helpful. I really am surprised. Had I set myself something larger, I might have felt crushed under its weight, and more easily given up. Because these are very small, but for me relevant, tasks, and because they're reviewed every day, it is easy to keep doing them. What's best, I notice that this self discipline is just beginning to leach out to my thoughts. Even though this wasn't part of my initial self discipline related goals, I find that there's a slight improvement in the way I discipline my thoughts, in how I choose which thoughts to follow, which to ignore.

It's very early stages, but interesting nevertheless.

Thanks for sharing Obyvatel. I thought I did develop already some willpower through the diet changes, well I have been wrong in a sense, it is always a continuing battle to get started to work on -have to issues- with the realization that anything really takes time to work out properly. And with that setting also small goals, because sometimes I tend to set them too big (i.e. writing 40 pages in two months) when I then got about 10, it then leads to frustration cause I didn't accomplish my (high) goal, or the effort to write anything cause of the reading that has to be done beforehand and to have facts. To know the "future-you" and "now-you" as McRaney wrote is also of importance ;).

anart said:
I think developing will power is a very simple thing. You do what 'it' does NOT like. You start by doing what 'it' does not like once, and then you continue until you do what 'it' does not like every day. It is the struggle with the self every day, in thousands of different ways, until your will becomes your own and becomes Will.

I'm with Anart here. I developed my willpower by "bulling" through things; saying to myself that I'd rather die than do "that." It sounds dramatic, but it works for me. And no matter how much will you develop, there is always more needed. Always.

Laura said:
You can build will power, apparently:

How Focus Builds Brain Connections

Dr. David Perlmutter
But it takes more than simple repetition of a stimulation or activity to create the brain connections that lead to the formation of neural networks. Dr. Michael Merzenich, professor emeritus at the University of California, San Francisco, performed a series of experiments in the mid 1990s demonstrating the importance of attention in the formation of neural networks.

In one experiment he applied a tapping stimulus to the fingers of two groups of monkeys. Occasionally, the rhythm of the tapping would change. In one group, responding to the change in the tapping would result in a reward; a sip of juice. In the other monkeys, a change in the tapping did would not provide any reward, even if the monkeys responded to the change.

After six weeks, examination of the monkey’s brains revealed profound changes in the monkeys who, by virtue of being rewarded, paid close attention to the stimulus, waiting for the rhythm change.
Which explains so many things about our STS-manipulated culture. For example, so we won't have a "clue," the PTB's relabeling leisure/recreational activities as "Entertainment" to replace the more-revealing earlier label of "Diversions."

I read years ago that Arnold Schwarzenegger's work-out secret responsible for his Mr. Universe body was that he concentrated intensely on each muscle as he exercised it.
...Specifically, changes were recorded in the specific area of their brains that was involved in processing stimulation to the fingers. No such changes were observed in the monkeys who weren’t paying attention to the stimulus, despite the fact that the stimulus, the tapping on their In 1995, Dr. Pascuel-Leone conducted experiments in which he demonstrated changes in the brains of individuals only mentally practicing a piano exercise. These brain changes were virtually identical to those seen in subjects who actually physically practiced the instrument. These subjects demonstrated that the mere act of thinking about an activity imparted physical changes in the brain.
Wow, that really has profound implications. Maybe we can't "create our own reality," but looks like we can "create of our own brains".

Thank you obyvatel for bringing this up and all who brought infos in this thread. I find it particularly helpful to me at the moment as I have been battling for some months now with my current lack of will and motivation to do anything. I will surely need to reread the thread and material mentionned inmany times to make the info sink in.

I'll second that Marcus, its been a struggle to say the least. These threads help me out alot. Thanks to all. :)

Back
Top Bottom