Jupiter Ascending

I just saw the movie, although it has decent content and story line, I think they tried to focus more on action scenes and good photography, I liked more Cloud Atlas from them compare to this movie. But overall it is a good movie :)

I think Cloud Atlas is one of the best movies to come out in the recent years due to several aspects working very well: story, themes, direction, acting, script, music… Top notch moviemaking, with the esoteric elements making it something special.

So, I had high hopes going in to see Jupiter Ascending. The effort and ideas have to be commended, but at least personally I felt that as a movie, it was bad.

The lead actors appeared to be miscast, elements of the story didn’t make sense, there was ”unevenness”: something just seemed to be missing. :(

I think this reviewer put it well:

So I would like to read the comic on which Jupiter Ascending is based. I would like to get a look at whatever bible the Wachowskis put together, to be able to see how their universe works and what their game plan for this world is. I believe in them - completely believe in them - and this lovely but rote film can’t be what they hoped to make. While they had money and freedom this couldn’t have been what they envisioned when they set out down the path to making Jupiter Ascending. Something went wrong along the way - a rewrite of the script nerfed the uniqueness, or the casting process went awry and we ended up with leaden leads or somewhere in editing they lost sight of the path.

_http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/02/jupiter-ascending-movie-review-the-wachowskis-get-lost-in-space/

So I went to see it again, this time as a regular movie and not the 3D version and I have to agree with pretty much every point raised by the reviewer posted by hiker.

As a 3D experience it was one of the most visually appealing films I've had the pleasure of seeing. Like the reviewer said, the art of the movie is really its strongest selling point and that's why my initial reaction was so positive.

However, I'm left wondering if there was another reason for the movie delay beyond the need for more post-production work time or if the post-production work was actually cutting pieces from the film, because there's no way that the movie I saw was the movie that was intended to be shown. To quote the reviewer hiker linked to:

The worst thing about Jupiter Ascending is that it feels butchered, like the scenes are cut short and like expanded elements have been removed to cut the running time.

I still recommend seeing it because it is a story that reminds us that we control our destiny and we can change the fate of our lives if we choose to act on our knowledge and conscience, but don't expect anything revolutionary.

Thank you for your post A Jay.

It was not a complete disaster, and the good points you mention make it a worthwhile watch for those interested.

But yes, it is a shame when watching the movie it can practically be felt how there must exist a superior version ”somewhere”. It would be interesting to know what went wrong in the process of making the film.

I have sometimes wondered how the Wachowskis are viewed by the elite (and possibly the ”4D overlords”), as Matrix and V for Vendetta handle some really earth shattering and ”to be kept a lid on” information from their point of view. It would almost be expected, that some sort of ”interference” would be done to them.

I watched it last night.

The movie isn't bad but it isn't great. Interstellar for one is miles better.

However, without a shadow of a doubt whoever wrote this knows about the universe that Ra and the Cs have been talking about. To many hints are dropped in for this not to be the case. The hierarchy of the STS forces, at the bottom the grays (portrayed quite well actually, menacing and not at all friendly), then the lizards, then the humanoid overlords (orion humanoids?). The concept of aliens consuming on humans. The concept of abduction and memory wipes. Genetic engineering at a whole new level.

All this stuff was there and probably more, I mean who knows how STS have divided up real estate in space? Who knows who owns what, what the politics between them is... who knows? It just wasn't brought together nicely. To me it almost seemed as if they tried to make it for the mass audience and so didn't spend time building substance. Instead, they just dropped all the important bits in, mish mash mosh, 2 A-listers as the leads, lots of actions, then out into the mass market.

Added: Thinking further, my impression of the tactic they used to make this movie is akin to one students use at school when they can't really be bothered. So you have a report to write in an exam, under time pressure. What you do is drop all the major talking points about about that particular topic... mish mash mosh. They really don't have to be connected well together. The aim is to make the marker aware you know this stuff. You pass, not with flying colours obviously but job done.

I have to concur with the above observations.

All of the elements were there but they were drowned out by a disjointed over-the-top action film that was a prime example of style over substance. Even the esoteric elements mentioned above by Luke were completely overcome by it, to the point where they held no meaning for the viewer.

The thing that was missing from this film, that made (most of) the previous Wachowski movies so good was the important message. It was absolutely glaring in its absence.

It felt like a wasted opportunity to me and was ultimately a disappointing waste of an evening that would have been better spent reading.

Not sure if I can risk watching this, not after Cloud Atlas....which was boring pretentious drivel.....The fountain did the whole "connected through lifetimes" thing so much better....a beautiful film with feeling and emotion.

hiker said:
But yes, it is a shame when watching the movie it can practically be felt how there must exist a superior version ”somewhere”. It would be interesting to know what went wrong in the process of making the film.

I have sometimes wondered how the Wachowskis are viewed by the elite (and possibly the ”4D overlords”), as Matrix and V for Vendetta handle some really earth shattering and ”to be kept a lid on” information from their point of view. It would almost be expected, that some sort of ”interference” would be done to them.

Can't say I'm surprised really. I've often wondered how long the Wachowskis would "be allowed" to get away with their in-your-face esoteric messages - which are only really understood by a minority. Studio execs probably foisted the well-known mandate of leaving things on the "chopping board", they tried that with "The Matrix" too. And I really didn't expect anything from the two leads either. Reeves was still wooden in his "Neo" role despite the direction, cinematography, & script; I haven't met anyone as yet who liked his performance. He's been better in other movies but Tatum hasn't, & shows no signs to many (including myself) that he'll be a worthy leading man. Kunis just doesn't seem to have the right "look" for certain roles, at least to me. Maybe too much has happened in the world, too many plans have come to fruition along with vital others, to allow the deep message that the directors would bring & get people thinking... at least talking sensibly about this stuff. "Cloud Atlas" may be the last best thing they'll ever be allowed to present to the masses. Either they'll go away quietly (possible cuz what kind of movie could they make that could really drive them?) or return to... "Speed Racer." Which isn't even funny. :(

luke wilson said:
However, without a shadow of a doubt whoever wrote this knows about the universe that Ra and the Cs have been talking about. To many hints are dropped in for this not to be the case. The hierarchy of the STS forces, at the bottom the grays (portrayed quite well actually, menacing and not at all friendly), then the lizards, then the humanoid overlords (orion humanoids?). The concept of aliens consuming on humans. The concept of abduction and memory wipes. Genetic engineering at a whole new level.

A good observation. Indeed, the Wachowskis appear to be "in the know".

Ascien said:
I've often wondered how long the Wachowskis would "be allowed" to get away with their in-your-face esoteric messages - which are only really understood by a minority. Studio execs probably foisted the well-known mandate of leaving things on the "chopping board", they tried that with "The Matrix" too.

Maybe too much has happened in the world, too many plans have come to fruition along with vital others, to allow the deep message that the directors would bring & get people thinking... at least talking sensibly about this stuff. "Cloud Atlas" may be the last best thing they'll ever be allowed to present to the masses. Either they'll go away quietly (possible cuz what kind of movie could they make that could really drive them?) or return to... "Speed Racer." Which isn't even funny. :(

They seem to be heading for television, perhaps due to having more control over the finished product:

Thanks to a business model that gives artists the creative control, talent is flocking to Netflix for the opportunity to make what they want with very little restriction. It looks like The Matrix creators the Wachowskis and Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski will be the next to benefit from this unique arrangement with their first TV series Sense8, which Deadline reports will debut next year and has finished assembling a large international cast.

_http://screenrant.com/wachowskis-sense8-netflix-series-cast-plot-details/

Sense8‘s first season will be eight episodes long, with each individual episode focusing on one of eight characters from around the world – people who find themselves not just linked mentally and emotionally in the aftermath of a tragedy, but also now being hunted by a mysterious organization and its shadowy head (a figure known as Mr. Whispers).

_http://screenrant.com/sense8-netflix-casting-wachowskis-filming-locations/

The show should debut in May or June on Netflix.

Well, these are interesting articles detailing leaks of the original JA story:

_http://collider.com/jupiter-ascending-plot-details/

_http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/the-wachowskis-jupiter-ascending-sounds-insane-but-whats-jupiter-got-to-do-got-to-do-with-it.php

Apparently it was supposed to be a trilogy, and would have had a very different plot focusing on the Queen and not her children. What changed from the time of these leaks and the official announcements, I don't know. Maybe the studio changed their minds on things at the last minute and like luke wilson said what ended up being made was the best adaptation that could've been done with what they were given? Considering the topics that could have been expanded upon, it wouldn't surprise me if the decision to cut it short came from 'on high'.

Went to see it today with my 12 year old son and with relatively high hopes that we would both get something from it. Whilst he ‘quite enjoyed it’, (small praise indeed!), I left very disappointed and to be frank bored rigid. Most of the reasons why have been given above – important issues hung out to dry, terrible casting in the central roles (Mila Kunis the most inappropriate and dull-as-ditch-water choice I could imagine for the central role), a lifeless, listless, repetitive story line in between run of the mill CGI comic book action scenes, too many laughable visuals with a juvenile Star Wars derivative feel i.e. funny ears and elephant noses on ‘aliens’, the insertion of gimmick sections which jarred e.g. embarrassing Terry Gilliam cameo straight out of a Monty Python pastiche, crazy immigrant Russian family infighting, etc. Sure there were allusions to humans as food, and memory wipes by scuttling Grays (comic more than disturbing), but I must confess the Lizzie allusion was so ridiculously realised and un-menacing that it plain went over my head! As for Eddie Redmayne inaudibly whispering every line from beneath slumbering eyelids... A complete bore of a movie with nothing to say. Nearly nice bee moments though!

Well the most interesting thing is that the lanlord of Earth, a woman, has chosen to reincarnate in a russian family...For once not an american man who saves our world.

It is again a telling metaphor from the Wachowski brothers.

For the rest it's just Hollywood Tech at his best.

I watched this yesterday. Nothing much of note to say other than the fact that yes, the overlord structure could have been lifted straight from the Cassiopaean transcripts: Grays at the bottom doing the dirty work, Reptilians above them and then a super-race (Orion STS?) of human looking beings who sustain themselves and stay eternally young by farming the Earth. Apart from that I thought it was a very bog standard high action CGI shoot-em-up.

Those who appreciate special effects may well love this film (they were very impressive), though if you're a 'less is more' type person I suspect you may come away disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom