¿Is there any Emergency RD (Disaster and Recovery) - Backup System available?

jordifs

Jedi
I have a question which is somewhat important for me.

¿Do you have any backup System out there? ¿Something that can keep the service up and running 24h day?

I have some fear that we will not be able, in the near future, to access Internet with the same ease.

On this area I would like to know if there are any other sites around the world that can replace you in case you just disappear one day.

Thanks in advance.

One may wonder why you are asking such question. No offence , but you just joined this forum yesterday and this is your first post. ;)

- ¿Who speaks?

For your information I am a computer science engineer. I worked in Europe for more than 10 years with projects for several banks, government agencies, and large insurance corporations. It is not my professional experience that qualifies me, but my knowledge regarding this area.

- ¿Why my question?

I am really concerned for some time now, about freedom and computer restrictions. I've done nothing at all, I just try to save interesting information for sharing it with others when I decide to. At least once I tried to recover one online article, and I was unable to do so. I think that computer attacks may raise, and the whole control system is improving fast.

Recent news tell that a product known as "Kindle", the Amazon eBook Reader, has deleted books without user consent. A copyrighted protection system enabled the company to target and delete all available copies in the market. A very good sample of what to expect in the near future. If you are aware of France law proposals, you also see that in the future the ISP (Internet Service Provider) will look to all user traffic to keep a proof of each action and call the police when they decide to (the private corporation which keep the records, not the police itself).

I have interest in this Quantum Future Group since 2006. I tried to read the RSS Feed, but the amount of interesting news plus other web sites saturated me with too much information to process. Due to my interest in this Forum, I want to loose nothing. If you know what you are doing, may be all is being handled perfectly. If this is not the case, I was thinking to backup all content. May be even using a bot to read all online data and backup it without consent. It is for private use only, not to redistribute. And I am aware that this 'bot idea' is bad, as it may arise unnecessary alarms (about attacks).

May be after all, I am just a little bit crazy and having backup(s) will serve for nothing. Nonetheless accidents happen and this risk is worth considering.

At least I hope you now understand my perspective and my question.

- My first post

This is my first post and I have an account for less than 36 hours, but I am with you all since long time ago. I have all available books in the QF Store (minus 2 or 3). I decided to read a lot before entering into this Forum.

May be my first post looks weird. I feel that perhaps my knowledge in this area of computer science, is the key for assisting and helping others. While I am not sure about this, I continue researching other areas such as meditation, reiki, ba-ha (Éiriú Eolas adapted), and learning as much as I can. It is possible that my next post will be about "Éiriú Eolas" personal troubleshooting and opinion.

Warm regards.

Great , thanks for brief overview of your work. :)

If you are aware of France law proposals, you also see that in the future the ISP (Internet Service Provider) will look to all user traffic to keep a proof of each action and call the police when they decide to (the private corporation which keep the records, not the police itself).

Well , this all is acctually happening since 10th or 11th of april 2009 if i remember correctly. This law was accepted by EU parliment.

What I want to say is that having backups and being a little bit paranoid here is perfectly ok BUT personally i do not trust security industry simply because they are creating stories about bad/evil hackers just for their own purpose - to get more profit. It is very similar to what Bush administration did with americans through fear. In other word sec-industry is playing on people emotions , which is not right imo.
There is a flipside of that scene , recent attacks by anti-sec guys who keep on killing so called whitehat sites which in my personal opinion maybe not best or long range solution but shows their point as they unveil the truth behind security industry nowadays.

Anyway , warm welcome :)

I had no real answer to my initial port. May be it is not important or this information is private.

Nonetheless I attach you some information just to help understand why I post it.

Thanks.

Laura said:
New session:

Session Date: September 3rd 2008

(List of those present deleted for privacy)

(planchette begins to move... )

A: USA heading for destruction!

Q: (L) Okay. Why do you introduce tonight's adventures with "US is headed for destruction"?

A: Passed the point when anything could possibly be done to change the outcome.

Q: (L) What is this outcome?

A: Increasing inner turmoil. Review what happened in Germany.

Q: (L) Well, what happened in Germany in what period?

A: Towards the end of the war. Hitler's madness and the hatred of the world towards Germany.

Q: (L) Wasn't a pretty picture, was it? (J) In Germany, the rest of the world bombed Germany...

A: Yes. Expect it in the USA ultimately.

Q: (J) Would that be nuclear bombs?

A: And more.

Q: (A***) Is it going to destroy the rest of the world with it?

A: Not exactly... but the cosmic stuff will take its toll.

Q: (L) Anything else on that topic for the moment since we have other issues we want to cover?

A: Be alert.

A lot of events are happening at a rate too fast to be recorded. In my humble opinion Internet will be affected for sure.

When I research for some basic public information I found the following:
Host_Name IP_Address Country / Region / City / Internet_Service_Provider
sott.net 66.90.73.49 USA / California / Stone Mountain/FDCSERVERS.NET
cassiopaea.org 208.113.224.47 USA / California / Brea / NEW DREAM NETWORK LLC
quantumfuture.net 83.220.144.77 Germany / BERLIN / BERLIN / SPEICHERHOSTING
redpillpress.com 69.163.167.49 USA / CALIFORNIA / BREA / NEW DREAM NETWORK LLC
qfgpublishing.com 208.113.224.49 USA / CALIFORNIA / BREA / NEW DREAM NETWORK LLC
laura-knight-jadczyk.blogspot.com 209.85.229.191 USA / CALIFORNIA / MOUNTAIN VIEW / GOOGLE INC

As anyone can see, the servers are located in USA. I'm sure my preoccupation when writing my original post is no longer something to take care of.

Nonetheless thanks for reading it.

Just some thoughts to ponder...

Does it matter where you put your systems, as all
nodes (co-locations) are most likely controlled and
very tightly at that? Is not your OS most likely to be
loaded with all sorts of "back-doors" for the benefit of
the security-states to peruse and control as it deems fit?

Can you honestly say that these things were done
accidentally or intentionally?

For me, the only reason I do backups is when there
is a hardware or software failure that causes the loss
or corruption of data that renders your OS unusable.

Is it quicker to restore from backups (if you can) than
it is to rebuild from scratch?

As for viruses, backdoors, etc., is this a tiger chasing
it's own tail - as one really does not have much control
in completely preventing or eliminating malware as it
most likely was put there from the very beginning, when
you installed your OS & software?

With the advent of TeraByte drives these days, it most likely
requires TeraBytes drives for backups, and to preserve the
backup drive, one ought to remove the drive from the system
and to secure it protectively, and yet, there is no guarantee
that attempts to restore your data will be successful at the
time when you need it most?

I have done restores many, many times, from (old) tapes to hard
drives when it comes time to do restores, I have ended up with
broken tapes, corroded tapes, broken or blown up hard drives
simply by plugging it into a bad power supply, or when the medium
is no longer retrievable, due to missing or no longer existing backup
software, due to an incorrect backups, due to entropy, or simply due
to the "Act of God"? The list is endless.

These are, but a few interesting games I have played with,
sometimes with sadness and other times with happiness.
Seems that Ying & Yang has it's place. :)

FWIW,
Dan

Hi jordifs,

Could you define what you mean by backup Systems? If you are suggesting back-up servers, how's that going to help if it's not easy or not possible to access the Internet?

Re: ¿Is there any Emergency RD (Disaster and Recovery) - Backup System available

dant said:
Just some thoughts to ponder...

Does it matter where you put your systems, as all
nodes (co-locations) ...

Sure it does, the physical location is a master piece when designing a network infrastructure. Sorry if I do not enter in details with samples.

dant said:
nodes (co-locations) are most likely controlled and
very tightly at that? Is not your OS most likely to be
loaded with all sorts of "back-doors" for the benefit of
the security-states to peruse and control as it deems fit?

I'm sure the Powers That Be are fully capable of a "tight control". It is not about avoiding it completely, but fighting it. There are a lot of interesting tips and tricks that can be useful.

About "back-doors". Sure, a lot of them are present, nonetheless mostly on Windows. On Linux also but a diverse multifaceted hybrid system make difficultier to control. If you want an extremely powerful and secure system, then you may go choose a Linux Distribution like "Gentoo" using the Hardened patch. This is you download the source code of everything and start compiling it all (36 hours effort for a base install). No source code is equal to "no install". If you want a default binary system then may be a "Debian" Linux Distribution "stable version" is good choice also. Sometimes it pass up to several years untill a package is tagged as stable (when no bugs are found). This years delay, means using "old software", no updates, slowly manual updates and as a consequence: 'more control', 'more safety' (so to speak).

dant said:
Can you honestly say that these things were done
accidentally or intentionally?

Both.

dant said:
For me, the only reason I do backups is when there
is a hardware or software failure that causes the loss
or corruption of data that renders your OS unusable.

Is it quicker to restore from backups (if you can) than
it is to rebuild from scratch?

I do backups. Now fewer as hard disk drives become "safer". Some with SMART technology that warns you before "stop working", so an emergency backup is somewhat possible. I have now 13 active hard disks, the 7 most important are within a stopped computer (only active when backing processes are required). Another disk is always stopped and not connected to any electric device (in a wardrobe).

For me a backup is mainly for data, not for software application. An incremental backup is speedy, not a typical full-copy, better having a 'backup only new differences'. A full-copy technique applied frequently may also affect the hardware, penalize online service and of course deteriorate hardware average life expectancy.

The only software backup which I recommended is a basic image to restore the system whenever needed. A hard disk partition with basic software installed. Nowadays on new generation hardware systems, Virtual Servers are sold around the clock. The present and future technology. You can have 'nn' servers sharing the same hardware.

Note: it also recommended to have a backup of the original software before installation, to repeat the installation process whenever needed (with documentation if required). Do not rely on CD/DVD media as it deteriorates with time, temperature, humidity and other factors (fungus eats media). And remember that any software has a roadmap with a specific commercial 'End-Of-Support'. So one day you can wake up without any support at all. The company is exempt as newer contracts have a clause warning about this end-of-support rule.

dant said:
As for viruses, backdoors, etc., is this a tiger chasing
it's own tail - as one really does not have much control
in completely preventing or eliminating malware as it
most likely was put there from the very beginning, when
you installed your OS & software?

Interesting quote and concept. A virus AS IS do not exist. It is an application, a program, that do what is expected to do. No secret at all. ¿Why an Operating System or application let to an unknown program do whatever it ask for? Because it is in its core design. Seek information about "Word" application within the "Office" application suite. Ask why "macros" exist, an interesting software design (not very secure!).

A question: ¿Why 99% of viruses run on Windows?
An interesting clue: ¿may be because they need a defective Operating System design?

Tech.Note: some new viruses and back-doors appear on commercial applications that are being ported to Linux (and already exist on Windows). The defective design are also ported to Linux.

dant said:
With the advent of TeraByte drives these days, it most likely
requires TeraBytes drives for backups, and to preserve the
backup drive, one ought to remove the drive from the system
and to secure it protectively, and yet, there is no guarantee
that attempts to restore your data will be successful at the
time when you need it most?

Better designs are available. You propose to restore the original data into the original system.

A lot of options available, please understand my tiny summary:
- hard disk failure: RAID systems (1-mirror, 5-6 multi spain disks).
- enterprise system redundancy: some systems have hot swappable everything (processors, disks, 2-3 * power supply units). Also memory ECC that can "kill" defective chips 'so to speak' and remove them from the available memory.
- system redundancy: cluster (several machines with same software and data). Type: active-passive, or active-active.

dant said:
I have done restores many, many times, from (old) tapes to hard
drives when it comes time to do restores, I have ended up with
broken tapes, corroded tapes, broken or blown up hard drives
simply by plugging it into a bad power supply, or when the medium
is no longer retrievable, due to missing or no longer existing backup
software, due to an incorrect backups, due to entropy, or simply due
to the "Act of God"? The list is endless.

Tapes is a very bad design since its conception, like the CD/DVD media set. Also USB/Flash is not good right now. Some extremely interesting breakthrough near the corner now but this is not the proper topic to talk about.

Hard disk is the key because it is not a unit to backup, it is a unit to work with 24h a day (for years). Instead of buying one unit, you buy pairs (at the same time). See that any legacy backup system is founded on the idea: cheaper than the hard disk drives. Now this premise is not longer true.

Tech.Note: you can buy now 2TB disk units with adaptative speed.

Sorry for the long reply. Expect to provide useful answers to your questions.

Regards,
Jordi

Re: ¿Is there any Emergency RD (Disaster and Recovery) - Backup System available

Vulcan59 said:
Could you define what you mean by backup Systems? If you are suggesting back-up servers, how's that going to help if it's not easy or not possible to access the Internet?

Sorry if I did not explained with detail the topic: Emergency Disaster and Recovery System.

On banking it is enforced by law that critical systems must have a replica of each 'production environment'. This is having two instead of one (normally same hardware, software, everything). Law says that the backup system must be in a physical geographic location with a great distance to the original system. This is for the mission of preventing any natural disaster of destroying the basement of the society (banking system). It is said that an earthquake or a flood can destroy entirely a system and, as a consequence, a new system may replace the original within 24 hours to restore the online service. It is said that the backup system (replica servers), may have an asynchronous copy each 24 hours. So in a worse case scenario (natural disaster), data for last '24 hours' is lost.

Here a lot of new subjects appears: use several continents, countries, regions withing the same country, etc. It always depend on the requirements. The Vulcan59 comment "not easy or not possible to access the Internet" is not the issue here. I provide a sample, the following article was shocking when published:
Thierry Meyssan - "Opération Sarkozy : comment la CIA a placé un de ses agents à la présidence de la République française"
_http://www.voltairenet.org/article157210.html

The most shocking was that French government disrupted the access to this server (whenever this article appeared). This is extremely interesting as a sample of things that can happen and must be properly faced. Nonetheless the article spread through networking easily and a copy was published in other sites. Even Russian TV commented this issue and Thierry Messiah was in TV to speak about it.

Short summary: this is what I fear. To fight us sometimes we don't need to fall in batlle. Just disrupt communication with the command center to disable the entire enemy force. I assume you all understand my symbolism here. I don't want another guy to cut my default communication channel with the community. The information must flow.

I also add a personal experience note: a good guy (which I admire) told me that the past years the default routing pathways for entering your country have changed. Something big is in process (he warned me), like a new single point of control that one can swith off whenever needed. Another personal note: it is interesting the movie "Die Hard 4" in order to see some clues about 'computer wars' ideas (latest movie about this subject).

Sincerely yours,
Jordi

PS: at last I finished writting replies, I go to play with the 'Eíriú-Eolas' before I fall asleep!

drygol said:
personally i do not trust security industry simply because they are creating stories about bad/evil hackers just for their own purpose - to get more profit.
I have to agree here. I think these online backup systems are just a way for the PTB to get more information out of us and get paid for it at the same time.

jordifs said:
I have now 13 active hard disks, the 7 most important are within a stopped computer (only active when backing processes are required). Another disk is always stopped and not connected to any electric device (in a wardrobe).
Sounds to me like you have more than the average computer person so I can understand why backups may be so important to you.

jordifs said:
Sorry if I did not explained with detail the topic: Emergency Disaster and Recovery System.

So, in a nutshell, it seems to me like you are saying that you are worried that the sott et. al. information sources are not properly redundant to survive a site and border router failure due to "natural" disasters and want assurance that it is?

Also, why post all the lecture-style information ? Did you perceive you were being asked this or was it some type of program within you wanting to show off your knowledge? The reason that I ask is because when other people post something computer techno related, then part of my personality wants me to jump in and "expound" on the topic and at the same time show off (I almost did before I caught myself). Your post certainly didn't offend me but it did set off in me that want to respond and expound and show my knowledge -- hence I am mentioning this to you in case the same is happening to you i.e. maybe you are running a program and need to self-remember.

BTW, I enjoyed reading your viewpoints :D

Hi jordifs,

Banks have "unlimited" funds to have as many backups as they want but I don't think SOTT net or Cassiopaea org is in the same league where funds are concerned. :(

Blockage by a government or ISP is a different sort of issue and I am not sure how one could bypass it if other parts, or the entire Internet is under the same controls or blockage. :huh:

SOTT does have the "email backup" in place but that is assuming we still can send and receive emails.

gaman said:
So, in a nutshell, it seems to me like you are saying that you are worried that the sott et. al. information sources are not properly redundant to survive a site and border router failure due to "natural" disasters and want assurance that it is?

I showed my concerns, a simple preocupation. There is a specific comment about it:
jordifs said:
Short summary: this is what I fear. ... The information must flow.

gaman said:
Also, why post all the lecture-style information ? Did you perceive you were being asked this or was it some type of program within you wanting to show off your knowledge? The reason that I ask is because when other people post something computer techno related, then part of my personality wants me to jump in and "expound" on the topic and at the same time show off (I almost did before I caught myself). Your post certainly didn't offend me but it did set off in me that want to respond and expound and show my knowledge -- hence I am mentioning this to you in case the same is happening to you i.e. maybe you are running a program and need to self-remember.

I saw as Dant throw at me a large post full of questions. I let my creativity answer his questions one by one (as fast as I can, without searching information sources).

If you find my lecture-style peculiar, I understand. You can categorize me as a simple "geek" (or computer freak).

No need for a showing off, as it is not useful. Moreover I meet people that are greater than me in some areas, and I feel humility, which is great to fight one self's ego. Sometimes I let my 'ego' take control of myself and as a consequence I flush out all my thoughts and information (somewhat in a chaotic state). One sample is this post:
jordifs said:

Is is not worh reading ... I made a mistake. Meditation really helps me to lower my brain activity. One person recommended me to do so, as "brain-thinkers" people have illness like dementia (years before than other people).

gaman said:
BTW, I enjoyed reading your viewpoints :D

Enjoyed? Good for you!

Vulcan59 said:
Hi jordifs,

Banks have "unlimited" funds to have as many backups as they want but I don't think SOTT net or Cassiopaea org is in the same league where funds are concerned. :(

Blockage by a government or ISP is a different sort of issue and I am not sure how one could bypass it if other parts, or the entire Internet is under the same controls or blockage. :huh:

SOTT does have the "email backup" in place but that is assuming we still can send and receive emails.

Thanks for answering!

I understand but:
- banks have not "unlimited funds", a limited budget is always present. Capitalism also applies to some of them!
- ISP, it seems difficult, and it is! But nothing is impossible, just a challenge.

I read some comments about fund difficulties and I understand. But it is not the same to pay other for do a job, than do it yourself completely. Let's say I don't think is too costly.

For me this is a closed topic.

Thanks all for you comments. I will think something in order to help.

Sincerely,
Jordi

Hi jordifs.

I have changed the title of your recent posts to the original title of this thread.

Is there a specific reason why you changed the title like : Re: Answer Vulcan59?

You can answer to Vulcan59 in your post in saying so in your post.

Back
Top Bottom