Interesting Tidbit: Ancestry.com adding DNA test results

cindyj

Jedi
I'm really not surprised-- but it does makes me a bit (more) nervous...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/biotech/2007-06-18-ancestry-dna-results_N.htm

WASHINGTON (AP) — For less than $200 and a cheek-swiped cotton swab, amateur historians will soon be able to add DNA results to family tree websites.

The rapidly growing field of online genealogical searches is expanding to genetic testing, courtesy of a new partnership between the Internet's largest family history website, Ancestry.com, and Sorenson Genomics, a privately held DNA research firm.

Sorenson and Ancestry.com's Provo, Utah-based parent company, The Generations Network, will reveal details of their venture Monday.

Ancestry.com plans to launch the DNA testing product by the end of summer, offering customers the possibility of finding DNA matches in the site's 24,000 genealogical databases.

"DNA research becomes more meaningful to people searching for relatives as more people's DNA results become part of the database," said Doug Fogg, chief operating officer of Salt Lake City-based Sorenson Genomics, a division of Relative Genetics.

I'm sure the alphabet soup agencies will be quite interested in the ancestry.com database of dna results given by the participants. You'd have to be pretty hard up for ancestry results to do that, but to a lot of people, "it's harmless" :rolleyes:

beau said:
I'm sure the alphabet soup agencies will be quite interested in the ancestry.com database of dna results given by the participants. You'd have to be pretty hard up for ancestry results to do that, but to a lot of people, "it's harmless" :rolleyes:
Who says that the alphabet soup agencies aren't the ones behind the whole set-up? This sounds just like something that they would start and put the spin on it of 'oh how neat and convenient it all is'. Then to say that it will be more meaningful. You can see the hypnotism going to work. It's like 'keeping up with the Jones'' type thing.

Geesh!

That's probably it, but I was playing the not-so-pessimistic-moderator on this thread ;)

beau said:
That's probably it, but I was playing the not-so-pessimistic-moderator on this thread ;)
But, beau, why change your demeanor now? :P

And, yep, that's me, pessimistic to the core. ;)

This reminds me of a joke in a recent Woody Allen movie I recently watched called Scoop (i liked it):

Scarlett says to Woody: Why do you always see the glass half empty?

Woody: I don't see it half empty. I see it half-full. But of poison.

:lol:

Up to 40% of Consumer DNA Tests Are Inaccurate​

Story at a glance:
  • Sales of direct-to-consumer DNA testing kits rose sharply in 2017, driven in part by large advertising budgets and a growing interest in discovering ancestral lineage
  • Although only one company is approved to share information about medical risk for some health conditions, nearly all companies share the raw data; research finds nearly 40% of medical data from these tests may be false positives
  • Clinical confirmation is vital before undergoing further tests or treatments based on DNA testing from at-home test kits as these tests were never intended for medical use
  • Your DNA contains profoundly personal information about your health, personality and family history, which may be used to discriminate against you in the workplace, affect your ability to acquire health insurance and is often sold to research ccompanies
Who says that the alphabet soup agencies aren't the ones behind the whole set-up? This sounds just like something that they would start and put the spin on it of 'oh how neat and convenient it all is'. Then to say that it will be more meaningful. You can see the hypnotism going to work. It's like 'keeping up with the Jones'' type thing.
Part of "One Health" agenda (part of "Great Reset") 😔

Attachments

• at-home-dna-test-pdf.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom