IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn expected to be charged with sex attack

IMF chief issues stark warning on economic crisis

by Angela Balakrishnan
The Guardian, UK
Tuesday 16 December 2008 09.24 GMT

The head of the International Monetary Fund urged governments to step up action to stem the global economic crisis or risk delaying a recovery and sparking violent unrest on the streets.

Using a speech last night in Madrid to issue his stark warning, Dominique Strauss-Kahn argued that government efforts to tackle the economic downturn so far have been uncertain and largely insufficient, which could lead to severe consequences. He singled out the eurozone nations as he attacked the inadequate global response.

His hard-hitting coments came as fears of a prolonged slumped intensified after China showed signs that its economy could be in more trouble than initially expected next year. Factory output in the rapidly growing economy registered the weakest growth in almost a decade last month.

The IMF's managing director said such news signalled that a world recovery may not take place until late next year or into 2010 unless swift action is taken.

"A lot remains to be done, and if this work is not done it will be difficult to avoid a long-lasting crisis that everyone wants to avoid," he said.

Governments in leading economies have been called upon by the IMF to commit a combined 2% of global GDP, equivalent to £1.075bn, to try combat the dangers of a global recession. But the IMF chief blamed governments, saying they were unwilling or unable to use more public funds to jump-start economic activity.

"If we are not able to do that, then social unrest may happen in many countries - including advanced economies," Strauss-Kahn said.

He added that violent protests could break out in countries worldwide if the financial system was not restructured to benefit everyone rather than a small elite.

Revealing his concerns of a deeper economic slowdown, he said that the IMF would probably cut world growth next year from its current forecast of 2.2%. He also predicted that China's once red-hot economy will rapidly run out of steam.

"We started with China at 11% growth ... China will probably grow at 5 or 6% [next year]," he said. "The possibility of a global recession is real. We realise something must be done."

Strauss-Kahn's comments were in sharp contrast to Jean-Claude Trichet, president of the European Central Bank, who yesterday told European leaders they should stick to EU's controversial Stability and Growth Pact, which limits government borrowing and total debt. But Strauss-Kahn said that existing rules should be scrapped to allow governments to deliver essential economic stimulus packages.

"We are facing an unprecedented decline in output and we have evidence of substantial uncertainty limiting the effectiveness of some fiscal policy measures," he said, "What was decided by Brussels ... 1.5% of GDP in the form of stimulus, is a bit below what we need."

His views reflect the continued clashes between European governments on how they should react to the crisis.

Germany has been uncertain about injecting large amounts of public money into economies to encourage growth and resisted pressures to join in with a more coordinated EU effort.

source: The Guardian, UK

The central bank said it could instead provide the IMF with a loan to “help other countries overcome the effects of the global crisis.“

WARSAW, March 29, 2010 (AFP) - Poland's economy is stable and no longer needs its 21.8-billion dollar (16.2-billion euro) credit line from the International Monetary Fund, the Polish central bank said on Monday.

"The situation with the Polish economy and the financial system is sufficiently good ... that it is not necessary to ask the IMF for a further extension of the flexible credit line," the bank said in a statement.

The central bank said it could instead provide the IMF with a loan to "help other countries overcome the effects of the global crisis."

The finance ministry, however, insisted it still wanted to have a reserve at hand if the economy ran into fresh headwinds.

"We are expecting a good deal of shocks in the coming months ... There is still a necessity to ensure that Poland has a supplementary reserve," Deputy Finance Minister Dominik Radziwill said in a statement.

The credit line for Poland was approved in May 2009 and extended for six months in November 2009. It was intended to reassure investors and allow Poland to access credit easily if it needed it, which ultimately it did not.

The announcement came during a visit to Warsaw by the head of the IMF, Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

Poland was the only member of the 27-nation European Union to have experienced growth in 2009 and the IMF this month forecast that its economy will expand by 2.75 percent this year and by 3.25 percent in 2011.

Poland is a former communist-ruled country that joined the EU in 2004.

The IMF introduced the new system of flexible credit lines in 2009 as a safeguard against external shocks during the global economic crisis. Poland and Mexico both secured credit lines under this scheme whilst other countries needed loan arrangements.

http://dalje.com/en-economy/poland-no-longer-needs-imf-credit-line/299894

_http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/15/us-strausskahn-arrest-idUSTRE74D29F20110515

IMF chief and possible French presidential contender Dominique Strauss-Kahn was taken into police custody and is expected to be charged on Sunday with an alleged sexual assault of a hotel maid in New York City, police said.

Strauss-Kahn, a key player in the world's response to the 2007-09 financial meltdown and in Europe's ongoing debt crisis, was removed from an Air France plane 10 minutes before it was to take off for Paris from John F Kennedy International Airport, New York police spokesman Paul Browne said.

Looks like the Secret Team decided that he's out of the game. Here in France, it's the only topic addressed by the media this morning.

C's said:
Wait and see !

It's already on Sott. Sorry that i've missed it.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/228555-Top-French-politician-Dominique-Strauss-Kahn-head-of-IMF-dragged-off-flight-at-JFK-accused-of-sodomizing-maid

IMF head Strauss-Kahn charged of sexual attack in New York Hotel

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13402845

Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been charged by the NY Police of a sex attack on a hotel maid. This comes at a critical point in his career as he is expected to resign from his current post as head of the International Monetary Fund in order to participate in the 2012 French presidential elections where he is currently favoured over Sarkozy.

Wonder whether there is some kind of involvment by some groups...I find it hard to believe that he acted so foolishly knowing the risks involved and the consequences that he may now face.

Eboard10 said:
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13402845

Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been charged by the NY Police of a sex attack on a hotel maid. This comes at a critical point in his career as he is expected to resign from his current post as head of the International Monetary Fund in order to participate in the 2012 French presidential elections where he is currently favoured over Sarkozy.

Wonder whether there is some kind of involvment by some groups...I find it hard to believe that he acted so foolishly knowing the risks involved and the consequences that he may now face.

The IMF is a banking institution dedicated to the exploitation of humanity for the benefit of (psychopaths?). It would be no surprise if the IMF is managed by those with no empathy for humanity, including the hotel maid. Psychopaths are notorious for impulsive behavior, without consideration of consequences.

Re: IMF head Strauss-Kahn charged of sexual attack in New York Hotel

Eboard10 said:
I find it hard to believe that he acted so foolishly knowing the risks involved and the consequences that he may now face.

That, unfortunately, is pretty typical of those types in power: putting their whole high-profile careers and larger goals on the line in order to satisfy a whim, which for some reason, is often illicitly or illegally sexual. Bill Clinton, John Edwards, Larry Craig, Bob Allen ... the list goes on and on.

Tristane Banon, a French journalist accuses DSK of rape in the following clip. It appears Dominique Strauss-Kahn feels entitled to rape whomever he pleases, as he is protected by the legal profession and his high office at the International Monetary Fund.

International Monetary Fund Press Statement said:
Ms. Caroline Atkinson, Director of External Relations at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), issued the following statement today:

“IMF Managing Director Strauss-Kahn was arrested in New York City. Mr. Strauss-Kahn has retained legal counsel, and the IMF has no comment on the case; all inquiries will be referred to his personal lawyer and to the local authorities.

The IMF remains fully functioning and operational.

As I guessed here: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=23163.msg253734#msg253734, after OBL the show continue. Simply it's not Mickey but Scrooge McDuck (Picsou in French) who have been arrested.

It's anyone's guess! what will be the next scene? Any suggestion?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that the psychopaths in charge can get away with this sort of stuff pretty easily, they control the media after all. So the question is, why has his protection been removed? Who benefits?
Apparently the charges put him out of the running with Sarcozy in the french elections. But that may be too obvious.
Its possible it happened because someone wanted someone else in charge of the IMF? Or they needed a distraction or sacrifice in order to cover something else (to cover another rape or worse by someone more well known - or some event related to the IMF or Greece or questioning the criminal justice system)? Or perhaps he wasn't toeing the line? Just speculation for the moment.

It will be interesting to see what potentially related stories show up over the next few weeks.

I find it rather interesting that he was denied bail. Now that's something I've never seen happen. An IMF chief made to stay in jail?
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/228624-IMF-chief-denied-bail-in-hotel-sex-assault-case

There is certainly more to this than meets the eye.

DSK is known for other rape scandals. It is not new. Some say that this particular scandal is to let Sarkozy alone face to Marine Le Pen, and re-do the confrontation Chirac-Le Pen when people voted for Chirac in mass just not to have an ultra-nationalist as a president. The difference this time is that people may vote for Le Pen instead of Sarkozy.
However, it is highly possible that it is not as simple and maybe it has nothing to do with the French elections. I mean, this guy is the head of the IMF, still a puppet but higher in rank than a president! It could be either a sacrifice or a punishment for a acting alone without approbation, maybe to send a strong signal to the others in the hierarchy? We may not know for sure since we don't know all what happens behind the doors IMHO.

mkrnhr said:
DSK is known for other rape scandals. It is not new. Some say that this particular scandal is to let Sarkozy alone face to Marine Le Pen, and re-do the confrontation Chirac-Le Pen when people voted for Chirac in mass just not to have an ultra-nationalist as a president. The difference this time is that people may vote for Le Pen instead of Sarkozy.
However, it is highly possible that it is not as simple and maybe it has nothing to do with the French elections. I mean, this guy is the head of the IMF, still a puppet but higher in rank than a president! It could be either a sacrifice or a punishment for a acting alone without approbation, maybe to send a strong signal to the others in the hierarchy? We may not know for sure since we don't know all what happens behind the doors IMHO.

I also have read a number of apologists for Dominique Strauss-Kahn arguing that this is a political set up or even antisemitism. This is not a scandal, but a criminal charge of forced anal and oral sodomy and attempted rape. A scandal is an affair or frequenting prostitutes, rape is a crime. Perhaps this is a criminal who finally got caught in NYC before his friends could cover up his psychopathic deviance one more time. This man has a long had a reputation for forcing women to engage in unwanted sex acts and he evades prosecution because of his political and tribal connections. Sometimes a crime is just a crime. I know its hard to believe a powerful man could be a criminal, but we don't need to look for a set up to explain a criminal complaint.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/imf-chief-dominique-strauss-kahn-charged-rape-sexual/story?id=13609991 said:
International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn allegedly forced a New York City hotel housekeeper to perform oral sex and submit to anal sex, in addition to allegedly attempting to rape her, according to a complaint filed today by the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance.

The complaint charges him with two counts of criminal sexual act in the first degree, one count of attempted rape, sexual abuse in the first degree, unlawful imprisonment, sexual abuse in the third degree and forcible touching.

The complaint is a terse charging document, less than a full page in length.

It charges that he forcibly touched the housekeeper's breasts, attempted to pull off her panty hose, twice "forcibly made contact with his penis and the informant's mouth" and that "the defendant engaged in oral sexual conduct and anal sexual conduct with another person by forcible compulsion."

go2 said:
I know its hard to believe a powerful man could be a criminal, but we don't need to look for a set up to explain a criminal complaint.

I don't think any regular reader of this forum would ever think it's hard to believe that a powerful man could be a criminal. I'm actually surprised to see you write that. I think the question that has been asked is why wasn't it swept under the rug as all other crimes powerful men commit are swept under the rug. He certainly isn't the only rapist in a high position of power and at that level they protect their own.

My guess is he either made someone else very powerful very angry, or he's outlived his usefulness. Or, even more likely, it's a very strong message sent due to some action he was going to take. I saw a picture today of him on a bench in the courtroom with his arms crossed across his chest, his legs crossed at the ankle, as he was glancing up at a corrections officer - his expression was not the expression of a man who is afraid of jail. It was an expression of a man who is very annoyed at being treated like a 'normal' and knows it will end soon.

With that said, I should add that I do think it's certainly possible he just got caught this time - but, as always, we'll see how things proceed.

Back
Top Bottom