I wear a mask or not for the purchase of my food -My question for the moment- What is your opinion ?

The rules and the people in my city are much more relaxed compared to the rest of the UK. I think they don't fluoridate the water or something.

80% of the shops I visit I either wear no mask, or take it off once entering.

20% I keep it on but pull it down under my nose.

I was a bit worried at first and it is always uncomfortable to completely break social norms (however new and retarded they are) but nobody's had the cajones to say anything and people treat me just as nice.

Many shop assistants have almost seemed relieved, and pulled their own masks down. Also taxi drivers are mostly cool if you don't wear a mask - they're happy to take theirs off.

Feels like an underground resistance really

I was a bit worried at first and it is always uncomfortable to completely break social norms (however new and retarded they are) but nobody's had the cajones to say anything and people treat me just as nice.

Even when we know these ridiculous rules cannot realistically be enforced as such, being the 'odd one out' can feel uncomfortable indeed Carl. Breaking social norms isn't something most of us have much experience at either, so these could be valuable will-strengthening lessons for future times. As always, each situation may call for a modified strategy. If I am feeling anyway tired or vulnerable I opt to wear my exemption card knowing any potential confrontation is averted. Mostly though I am confident enough to simply waltz into shops and act as normal.

Although many shop workers do wear masks (corporate virtue signalling) those who don't are now being shamed into compliance it seems:

Shopworkers’ refusal to wear masks is resulting in hundreds of complaints, survey shows
Shopworkers’ refusal to wear masks is causing “conflict at the cash register” and sparking hundreds of complaints, a new survey shows.

While members of the public who visit supermarkets, banks and clothing stores must wear a face covering, the people who work in those venues do not.

This split has caused anger amongst shoppers, who have made more than 350 complaints to companies, mainly about staff not being masked and the failure of retailers to enforce social distancing.

A study by Resolver, an online complaints platform, showed that between March and July, some 2,008 people specifically mentioned face masks when making a complaint, with 500 coming in July alone.

While 443 complaints were made about online retailers, some 363 people had issues in high street shops.

Alex Neill of Resolver said the rise in complaints revealed a genuine sense of confusion about what the rules were and how they have been implemented in food outlets, supermarkets and shopping centres.

He said: “Our data shows that members of the public are becoming increasingly angry about people failing to wear masks in public, particularly on public transport and in shops.

“It also reveals a genuine sense of confusion about what the rules are and how they’ve been implemented in food outlets, supermarkets and shopping centres.

“If we’re to avoid conflict at the cash registers then the Government needs to step up their efforts to clearly communicate the rules and be firmer in how they will be enforced.”

In a remarkable illustration of the problem, Boris Johnson visited a bicycle repair shop in Beeston on Tuesday. He wore a face mask, while the owner did not.

While police have the power to issue a fine of £100, there have been concerns raised that enforcing face mask rules in shops is "unrealistic and unfair," if shoppers refuse to wear face coverings in England.

John Apter, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, which represents rank and file officers said: "Policing the wearing of face coverings in shops can't be a priority because we simply don't have the resources.

"To expect my colleagues to be policing the supermarket aisles, looking for those shoppers not wearing a face covering, is unrealistic and unfair.”

The Telegraph contacted a number of retailers on the issue.

A Waitrose & Partners spokesperson said: “Government guidance states that it is not compulsory for people working in shops to wear face coverings. However, we are asking our Partners who do not have an exemption to wear a face covering when they are in an area where 2 metres social distancing cannot be achieved or where other measures (e.g. screens) are not present.”

A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said: “We are recommending colleagues who are working on the shop floor wear face coverings, unless they are working behind a Perspex screen or exempt according to government guidelines.”

The luxury department store, Harrods, is taking a stronger line, and said: “Harrods colleagues will be wearing face coverings while on the shop floor unless they are behind protective screens or are exempt.”

For those in the UK, I have found the "official" exemption card that can be printed and displayed if required, although, the government does say it can be a home made sign :lol: see here and here .

Interestingly the gov.uk website states:

Enforcement measures for failing to comply with this law

Measures can be taken if people do not comply with this law without a valid exemption (see Section 3).

Shops, supermarkets and other premises where face coverings are required are encouraged to take reasonable steps to promote compliance with the law and could refuse entry to anyone who does not have a valid exemption.

Transport operators can deny access to their public transport services if a passenger is not wearing a face covering
, or direct them to wear one or leave a service if they are not wearing a face covering.

If necessary, the police and Transport for London (TfL) officers have enforcement powers including issuing fines of £100 (halving to £50 if paid within 14 days).

But further down it says:

Exemption Cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

So they are frightening everyone, making them think it is obligatory, even fining people and giving powers for shops to refuse entry, but then admit that you don't need a medical cert to say you don't have to wear a mask, and on top of that, admit that it's personal choice!?

FWIW I have been wearing a mask in the supermarkets and because it's for such a short time it has been ok so far, but I plan to print off the exemption card and see how it goes.

So they are frightening everyone, making them think it is obligatory, even fining people and giving powers for shops to refuse entry, but then admit that you don't need a medical cert to say you don't have to wear a mask, and on top of that, admit that it's personal choice!?

FWIW I have been wearing a mask in the supermarkets and because it's for such a short time it has been ok so far, but I plan to print off the exemption card and see how it goes.

I think that in many places they are realising that they can't really legally enforce any virus measures or directives without attracting legal action themselves. So they really are relying on fear factor, agreement and peer pressure.

Yesterday my brother´s girlfriend told me that her friend received a warning before firing because she didn´t wear a mask at her job.
Her friend works at a petrol station and at that point, no one was in the shop so she took her mask down.

Unfortunately, a woman who works in civil protection was at the pump and took pictures of her, screamed how unresponsible she is and that she will report her - and she did: she reported her to CDC, petrol company headquarters AND it went al up to the mayor of our city!!!!

The poor girl managed to explain that she was eating and her colleague confirmed that.
Luckily there were no cameras directed at her so they couldn´t see if they were lying or not. So she managed to get away with a warning...

:nuts:

When masks became compulsory here in the UK I decided to see if I can get an exemption. I called my GP and said that when wearing a mask I experienced shortness of breath, I felt dizzy, weak and nauseous, and I experienced headaches afterwards. After a relatively short and easy "battle" that consisted of three phone calls and a blood test I have my medical exemption letter. The way the whole thing went leaves the door open for me to start wearing a mask if I really have to, but for the time being I'm enjoying my mask free existence.

My doctor initially said with a dismissive tone that there were no knows medical conditions caused by wearing a mask. Well, there is a condition called Hypercapnia and one of the causes is re-breathing your own exhale. That's precisely what happens when you're wearing a mask. This isn't the basis of my exemption but it really helped me deal with the doctor who stopped being so overly confident and dismissive as soon as I showed her I did my homework.

As far as providing evidence that you're exempt is concerned, I guess that will work differently in different countries but here's an excerpt from a UK government website:

"Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice, and is not necessary in law. (...)

Those who have an age, health or disability reason to not wear a face covering should not be routinely asked to provide any written evidence of this. Written evidence includes exemption cards."

And then there's this:

Measures can be taken if people do not comply with this law without a valid exemption

I'm not sure if they're testing people's compliance levels, intelligence, or what? First they say that having an exemption evidence is not required and it is a personal choice to carry it. Then they say that measures can be taken if people don't wear a mask without a valid exemption.

But how are they going to check if someone has a valid exemption if they don't have to have evidence of it?

Initially I was cautious and I asked shop assistants or security if I was allowed to shop on their premises if I wasn't wearing a mask due to a medical exemption. With one exception they all said there was no problem at all. Shop and public transport staff don't have to wear masks and some 30% of them don't so I guess many of them are on "my side" anyway. So far I haven't been bothered about a mask by other shoppers either. I even noticed that when some fellow shoppers or passengers see me without a mask they pull theirs below their nose or mouth. I guess I'm a trendsetter now ;-)

Most UK supermarkets have released statements saying that they leave it to the police to enforce the law. But the UK police have already confirmed they won't be responding to calls about shoppers not wearing masks so that's rather interesting:

It's always a good idea to see how such a Catch22 scenario will play out in practice so if I didn't have my exemption I'd wear simply wear a mask to avoid fines. Despite the above policies there are plenty of over zealous power hungry people who want to see everyone muzzled just to feel better - or safer.

Initially I did wear a mask but I cut out the two inner layers of a medical mask. It's see-through and so thin that when I was walking the air went straight through it and I didn't really suffer much due to wearing it. When I was sitting down I pulled it down below my nose, it was hardly visible when I was reading.

Nope, won't wear one. There is a medical exemption in the U.S. and I can truthfully use it. Shopping I state that I have a medical exemption and they are not permitted to ask me what that is nor do I have to offer proof.

Some stores try and pull the, "We'll shop for you," trick and I say, "Nope," again. I don't have a list and don't want others choosing for me. If I get a run around on that, I pull out the American Disabilities Act, where they cannot treat me differently because of my medical disability. Big fines for both of these protections.

Learn about your laws and government or be steamrolled over by them!

VIDEO ON MASK MANDATES Calling your governmental public servant and asserting the power of the people:
MAIN YT PAGE: Lawful America Lawful America has a website with other resources: HOME | Lawful America

No exceptions medical certs that I know off here. Anyway, I haven't worn one yet no one bothers to say anything. I walked out of Tescos few days ago, two girls walked passed and one said to the other he's not wearing one either. So I think as others pointed out, not wearing one shows others its okay not to wear one..Today I went to the pharmacy to pick up a clients meds, as soon as I walked in the lady behind the counter that had a big screen. She said excuse me you must wear a mask. I just walked out, will have to go back tomorrow with a mask 😡 to get the meds. So some places are enforcing the nonsence mask wearing other places don't really care. Tomorrow will be the first time wearing a mask, cant wait :ninja:

Was an incident recently on a bus a guy refused to wear one due to medical reasons, he couldn't prove anything. Driver leftvthe bus running and got off rang the guards they turned up 45 min later. Guy was arrested for refusing to give his name and apparently said the F word to the driver. He was arrested for a public order offence, he wasnt changed for not wearing a mask, because there is no law under which to charge him. Its all nuts, masks are mandatory but not yet enforced by authorities no fines yet either.

No exceptions medical certs that I know off here. Anyway, I haven't worn one yet no one bothers to say anything. I walked out of Tescos few days ago, two girls walked passed and one said to the other he's not wearing one either. So I think as others pointed out, not wearing one shows others its okay not to wear one..Today I went to the pharmacy to pick up a clients meds, as soon as I walked in the lady behind the counter that had a big screen. She said excuse me you must wear a mask. I just walked out, will have to go back tomorrow with a mask 😡 to get the meds. So some places are enforcing the nonsence mask wearing other places don't really care. Tomorrow will be the first time wearing a mask, cant wait :ninja:

Was an incident recently on a bus a guy refused to wear one due to medical reasons, he couldn't prove anything. Driver leftvthe bus running and got off rang the guards they turned up 45 min later. Guy was arrested for refusing to give his name and apparently said the F word to the driver. He was arrested for a public order offence, he wasnt changed for not wearing a mask, because there is no law under which to charge him. Its all nuts, masks are mandatory but not yet enforced by authorities no fines yet either.

I had a quick search and it seems Ireland has been way harsher in this regard than the UK, although that's not totally surprising since they had all the road blocks etc. during the lockdown. The only info I could find was here: Who is exempt from face covering rules — and how to get a Hidden Disabilities 'exemption card'.

They mention that there is no official exemption card, but a company called "Hidden Disabilities" has produced a card that can be bought for £0.55. Although, I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to the guards :umm: See here: Face covering exempt card.

I had a quick search and it seems Ireland has been way harsher in this regard than the UK, although that's not totally surprising since they had all the road blocks etc. during the lockdown. The only info I could find was here: Who is exempt from face covering rules — and how to get a Hidden Disabilities 'exemption card'.

They mention that there is no official exemption card, but a company called "Hidden Disabilities" has produced a card that can be bought for £0.55. Although, I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to the guards :umm: See here: Face covering exempt card.

Yeah Jenn, the Irish Government are having a great aul time with this. Phase 4 is now cancelled until end of August. Thanks for your efforts with the info.

Just a little note for those in the UK that as of August the 8th wearing a mask will become a law:

If it wasn't for the fact that I already have an exemption letter I would not risk getting a fine. But since there are no formal guidelines on the quality of those masks I have a few that I initially altered for 'breathing purposes'. I cut out the two inner layers so they're nearly see-through. One guy asked if it came like that and I just said "No, I modified it". He wanted to know how so I told him. He looked inspired, not horrified ;-) Apart from that no one made any comments about it.

En France, à cause d'un masque non porté vous risqué la mort :

Insults, fights, death threats... When the compulsory wearing of masks in public degenerates into a real problem.
Mandatory on public transport since 11 May and in enclosed public places since 20 July, the wearing of masks has generated a lot of tension across the country. Attacks have been increasing in recent weeks, particularly in the transport sector, which has already been plunged into mourning by the death of a bus driver in Bayonne at the beginning of July.

Masked passengers in a bus in Lorient, 11th May 2020 (photo illustration).
Masked passengers in a bus in Lorient, 11 May 2020 (photo illustration). | THIERRY CREUX/OUEST-FRANCE
View slideshow
Ouest-France
Published on 04/08/2020 at 12:40 pm
SUBSCRIBE
LISTEN TO
READ LATER
Newsletter
Coronavirus

Every day, the essential information you need to know with Ouest-France

Your e-mail address
Your e-mail address is collected by the SIPA Ouest-France Group to receive our news. To know more about it.

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
FLIPBOARD
MESSENGER
LINKEDIN

EMAIL
His death had moved far beyond the Basque Country where he lived and worked. The Bayonne bus driver Philippe Monguillot died on 10 July, a few days after being violently assaulted by several passengers who had been asked to put on a mask to get into his vehicle.

Prime Minister Jean Castex had denounced the attack as "an abject crime", promising that justice would punish the perpetrators. Since then, four people have been imprisoned and charged, including two for attempted murder. But attacks linked to the wearing of masks have since surged across France, as this non-exhaustive list shows.

A customer of a laundromat beaten up in Val-d'Oise
This is the latest attack against the backdrop of tension around the mask. A customer of a laundromat in Soisy-sous-Montmorency (Val-d'Oise) filed a complaint on Monday, August 3, after being beaten up by four people, including one whom he had previously asked to respect the mask wearing instructions. The assault took place on Sunday, around 4:45 p.m., in a laundromat located in a working-class area of the city, according to the complaint for "aggravated violence".

"I was folding up my clothes and putting them in a bag. I asked the man to wear the mask. It says it's mandatory and it's the law," said the victim, a 44-year-old man who was accompanied by his two children, aged 5 and 7. "He told me, 'I do what I want,'" he said, adding that he had reiterated this request given the configuration of the premises.

The instruction to wear a mask, which is mandatory in enclosed areas to limit the spread of the coronavirus, is posted in the laundry room, confirmed a member of the residence's union council.

After a heated verbal altercation, the unmasked young man left the laundromat and returned with reinforcements, according to the complainant.

Two men then hit the victim with baseball bats and two others with their bare hands, according to video surveillance footage. "I found myself on the floor, bleeding profusely and unconscious. It was to kill me," the victim testified on BFMTV.

A brawl between a tram employee and passengers in Dijon
The incident took place on Thursday, July 30 at approximately 6:30 p.m., downtown. According to the Dijon public prosecutor's office, the network employee was not on duty at the time of the incident but was wearing his work shirt with the Divia logo.

He was travelling as a mere passenger when he noticed two young, unmasked men. He called them to order. One put on his mask, the other said he didn't have one. The clerk then asked him to get off and the spirits warmed up.

"The employee Divia said he then heard insults, even threats, which the young man contests," said state prosecutor Eric Mathias in a statement. The small group went downstairs and there was "reciprocal violence": the driver was given a total incapacity to work (TTI) of five days. The young man with whom he fought, with no criminal record, also received various injuries requiring a four-day TCI.

The second young man intervened, "either to separate the two men or to help the first young man," says Mathias. He wishes "to continue the investigations in a preliminary inquiry, in order to determine as precisely as possible the exact circumstances and responsibilities", while the two young men spent several hours in police custody before being released.

Bus driver slapped in Martigues
The events took place in the evening of Thursday 30 July. After reminding a passenger of the compulsory wearing of masks in transport, the driver of a bus in Martigues was slapped.

When alerted, the police attended the scene and arrested the perpetrator, who was later taken into custody. According to information from the daily La Provence , the passenger was summoned to appear before the court upon prior recognition of guilt (CRPC), before being released.

A minor prosecuted for hitting a bus driver in Orléans
A 17-year-old is suspected of hitting a bus driver who had asked him to wear a mask on Tuesday 28 July in Orleans. He has been indicted "for violence against a person entrusted with a public service mission", the Orléans public prosecutor's office announced.

The alleged assailant was arrested and placed under judicial supervision by the juvenile judge, with a ban on contact with the victim and the use of public transport in Orléans (Tao).

The Tao driver (Keolis group) had been prescribed four days of TTI (total incapacity to work) due, inter alia, to an injury to one eye.

According to the public prosecutor's office, the driver had pointed out to the minor that wearing a mask was mandatory on public transport. The young man from Orléans, who had never been convicted by a court, then pulled his T-shirt up to the level of his face and walked to the back of the bus. He came back a few moments later, this time with a mask on, and hit the driver several times before fleeing.

SNCF agents copiously insulted in Montpellier
On 28 July, in Montpellier, employees of the SNCF's train security service were insulted by a recalcitrant passenger. With no ticket and no mask, this Parisian woman had to be expelled from the station.

She spoke insanity for several minutes, giving rise to nine pages of transcripts after viewing images from the pedestrian-camera of one of the agents, according to the regional daily Midi Libre .

Already known to the police for acts of insult and violence, she was summoned to appear before the criminal court and was fined for not wearing a mask.

A security guard beaten with an ashtray in Nantes.
The scene goes back to July 20th. On that Monday, a security guard guarding the entrance to a clothing store asked customers to properly put on the mask they were wearing before entering.

But one of them refused to do so and the situation escalated into a car chase. The client grabbed an ashtray from a table and hit the guard in the head, who got away with several stitches.

Two suspects, aged 19 and 20, were arrested by officials of the departmental intervention company. They were taken into police custody and were due to be brought before the prosecutor's office for an immediate trial on 22 July.

A man sentenced for threatening a driver in the Tarn with death
On 8 July, three days after the attack on Philippe Monguillot, a man entered a bus in Gaillac (Tarn) without a mask and drunk. He had made death threats against the driver, who asked her to respect the obligation.

He was arrested eight days later and sentenced to four months in prison on a suspended sentence for theft at the end of July.

It should be recalled that the wearing of masks has been mandatory on public transport since May 11, the date of the deconfinement. It has also been mandatory in enclosed public places since 20 July 2020. The fine for non-compliance with this rule is set at €135. More than 200 French municipalities now also require masks to be worn outdoors in order to stem a resurgence of contamination.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I just finished reading the thread, thanks for your input everyone. Personally, I wear a mask where I have to. If there are cities that implement wearing a mask on the street, I simply don't go. I often pull the mask under my nose once I am in the shop and watch around if there are employees nearby. So far it worked.
I've been on holiday on the french Atlantic coast and I can tell you, many people didn't wear a mask even when it was mandatory, the 1m of social distanciation was usually not respected. There is also a reality and it's that the tourism industry NEEDS to work, so they let the tourists in (relative) peace.

I will begin a new job in a few days and I'll see if I can get away with not wearing one.

For me, the real battle will be the vaccine. Until then, I choose to get under the radar.

Back
Top Bottom