I was born for this by Austin Wintory and Journey (video game)

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hi guys,

The other day I was playing some music in the background, and I have always had a thing for scores and soundtracks of movies and video games, when the playlist ended, Spotify keeps adding similar sounding songs so that you can continue to listen to music.

One of the suggestions was the following song, which immediately captured me, I had no clue what they were saying but the vocals and the melodies were incredible, I looked it up and it belonged to a video game called Journey, a video game that isn't really a video game as they are generally understood a lot of people have define it as a masterpiece of concept delivery, the hero's journey, a work of art, and it's incredibly short, you can get through it in one hour.

So, first the song:

Then the Lyrics, which are a collection of quotes:

LyricTranscription (romanization)LanguageTranslationSource
Stat sua cuique dies
Stat sua cuique dies
LatinTo each his day is given
To each his day is given
The Aeneid (X.467)
Maél is mé tó féran.Old EnglishTime it is for me to goBeowolf, 316-319
ὤλετο μέν μοι νόστος
ὤλετο μέν μοι νόστος
Oleto men mi nostos
Oleto men mi nostos
Homeric GreekLost is my homecomingHomer; Illiad
C'est pour cela que je suis néeFrenchI was born or thisJoan of Arc (attributed)
この道や
行く人なしに
この道や
秋のくれ
kono michi ya
yuku hito nashi ni
kono michi ya
aki no kure
JapaneseOn this road
Which no one travels
On this road
The autumn sun sets
Haiku by Matsuo Bashō
C'est pour cela que je suis née
Ne me plaignez pas
C'est pour cela que je suis née
FrenchDo not pity me
I was born for this
Joan of Arc (attributed)

The the actual game, which I looked for and played, it's a simple story with no dialogue, and it's the journey of a character towards a mountain peak, one of the very nice dynamics of the game is that when it was launched, you could run into someone else playing the game, there were no names nor chat options, you'd simply be able to play the game with some company, but in keeping with the notion of the hero's journey, you could play the game and teach others how to play it, and thus sharing the knowledge of your challenges with someone else and make someone else's life easier. This guy did a very good dive into that concept from the point of view of the score and how it was composed, his voice is a bit annoying but he delivers the message rather clear, so Id ask to give the video a chance.

I know not everyone's into video games, so I would not suggest anyone to play it, but there are a few playthroughs online that you can watch under an hour and I'd say it's worth the time to witness it.

Now, back to the song itself... I felt it was a nice reminder to anyone, who may be going through difficulties, personally at whatever level and in whatever capacity, "I was born for this" is a very nice change in perspective, we were born for this very journey.. filled with joy, fun, love and sadness and sorrow, mistakes, regrets, trial and error. It all has a purpose, even if it remains elusive.

Anyway, that's what I wanted to share with you all. I hope you guys like the song.

Last edited:
The soundtrack, images and story are very beautiful! The transcendental atmosphere reminds me of stories told in some afterlife and NDE books.

The commentator in the 2nd video says about "Journey's" main theme, referring to Campell's Hero's journey:
"Your spirit brings you back to the beginning. [...] The ultimate aim is to bring knowledge to other people to help them through it. [...] to make your experience in life a blessing for other people. [...] and continuing this cycle infinitely.

Thank you @Alejo for writing about it.

Oh wow! It looks beautiful. It's on sale for 3$ for PC players on the Steam website.

At first, I confused it with Odyssey from Alto because the character is almost identical (a silhouette with a scarf). It's an old app I have on my old phone, and the Odyssey game is basically surfing down a mountain forever until you fall, then start again. But the graphics are beautiful and the soundtrack is meditative. Also in the same graphic style is Monument Valley, but that one is a 3D puzzle with mazes of optical illusions.

Journey is an amazing experience. If anyone does play video games, try not to watch any play-throughs so as to avoid spoilers because if you do end up playing it one day, it’ll be way better.
I have to agree with this, allow yourself to go through the experience if you mind spoilers.

I just reactivated my Steam account and got through it. It was more like 2 hours for me. I was trying to explore and find more upgrades. :-P I really liked the desert and Egyptian themes. It said a controller was recommended but I didn't have any trouble playing with my bulky ergonomic mouse. The one slow cello song is nice along with the adventurous theme near the end, and the final credits song. I saw Tina Guo was the cellist.

I had read this thread of course, but I couldn't figure out if the other people were just AI or people. I encountered someone in just about every level. I had the impression near the middle to end of the game that they were actual players. Because they would get lost or veer off somewhere else. And maybe it was my personal bias in that I didn't realize that I have help (I was thinking, "Bro, let me have some scarf."). And one or more players followed me for a while and we almost completed the game, but it seemed they went away from the keyboard at the end. I just missed the sale and it was only a few bucks, so maybe people were buying it and playing for the first time like me. It tells you the player names you encountered at the end, and there were 6 others for me. I should have reread this thread before playing, because maybe it would have been more fun to stick with them at the start knowing they were players.

Watching these videos, it seemed like I missed some things, especially with the cutscenes. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention. But here's one with some religious interpretation to the game (spoilers):

And here's a video on the camaraderie of playing with others (spoilers):

Anyways thanks for the recommendation and the score is indeed really good.

Wow, this is a really beautiful game! Thank you for sharing this, Alejo. One persons experiences in life become a blessing for others-- is such a beautiful idea. It's the idea of a network, but said differently. The creator of the score did a great job of creating captivating and touching music to go along with the story. Video games can be a great way to tell a story that makes an impact on people.

Back
Top Bottom