Human suffering

Erna

The Living Force
When one listens to the news and you hear of famine in Ethiopia, slaughter in Zimbabwe, the ongoing Gaza saga etc. etc. you don't feel emotion, it's just statistics. It's when you hear a personal story that it hits home.

Yesterday my one friend told me that she went by her parent's place the previous evening, who live in a security estate in Joburg. They have a garden boy who lives in the servant's quarters in the yard, who does lose jobs for everyone in the complex, from washing cars to gardening etc.

Before the Zim election he left for Zim to go and vote, and he finally returned this week, looking very bad. He jaw had been broken and his arms are full of cuts and bruises. He was attacked by opposition Zanu-PF members and fled as quickly as he could get a gap.

When he arrived in Johannesburg during the attacks on foreigners, he fell victim a second time and got attacked again. My friend's mom spoke to him and asked him if she can help arrange for him to return to Zimbabwe, since they fear he's not save in South Africa at the moment. He said to her that it's awful here, but it's even worse in Zimbabwe, he'd rather stay.

All his belongings were destroyed in Zimbabwe, the only thing he owns is the clothes on his body. He told my friend's mom all he wants is a plate of food once a day and a save place to sleep.

My friend's mom says that the most heart breaking thing for her is when she greets him and ask him how he's doing, he always smiles and says "well, thank you Ma'am".

Back
Top Bottom