how to pray

"Divine Cosmic Mind, if you think this is right, provide XYZ with an opportunity to gather knowledge, awareness, and light so he could resolve his problem/make his life the best possible for him/etc."

In this way, even if the prayer will be fulfilled, in the end, it is up to the person whether or not he/she chooses to take advantage of the opportunity.

Thank you, I have had this urge recently. That's what I was trying to generate in a short, concrete and as non-interventionist sentence as possible.

When it comes to me, personally, I usually tend to have it more conversational, speak to the universe in as sincere a manner as I can, maybe mention my short comings, my confusion.

Like a simple conversation/introspection but being honest? Interesting, I used to do that as a kid. I thought I was crazy for talking to myself.

Sometimes an involuntary image comes to me mentally, a visualization where I see people I wish protection to, being enveloped in a golden bubble/light and a slight pressure between the eyebrows. is that ok?

I don't know how to ask for others by formulating a prayer, so I just say:

Divine cosmic mind, guide her/him to find the knowledge needed for the best solution to his experience.

Like a simple conversation/introspection but being honest? Interesting, I used to do that as a kid. I thought I was crazy for talking to myself.
Yes, or an honest admission of weakness... or vulnerability, or humble words to describe myself as honest as possible. As if I was talking to a friend I could tell anything to, not demanding answers, but simply asking for guidance, for understanding, for company. Things like that, sometimes simply saying these things out loud, even if one is alone, is good enough to see the answers.

I don't know how to ask for others by formulating a prayer, so I just say:
I do something similar, though in some cases I ask for strength, clarity, for their wisdom to be at their disposal, and for their resilience and endurance should certain lessons be longer than they'd wish them to be.

It's interesting because once I seriously sit down to pray for someone I almost always realize, that the initial ideas I come up with are for myself, for what I would want them to have, and so finding the words to wish someone the best without infringing on their free will or including a self serving request.. it's an interesting exercise.

Now, we're also only human, and it's ok to wish someone to avoid pain or difficulty, but I usually complete those thoughts with, if they're to experience those, then I hope they find the knowledge contained within those lessons and come on the other side a better version of themselves.

Daily prayers made a huge difference for me, and even though I do them for years now, it is still a work in progress (as you learn and grow, so does your ability to pray, and vice-versa).

I think there are two keys to prayer: first, focus on others. You can pray for specific people, groups of people, or even humanity at large (or those who are receptive to the Divine Spirit). I visualize them sort of vaguely in a calming, joyful golden light, empathize with their struggles and agony of living in this crazy world, and wish them growth and peace and understanding and the joy that comes with moving closer to Spirit.

Second, it is very important not to "talk at God" or "cry in the wilderness", but also to listen. This can be done simultaneously while praying for others, or after that. For example, you can mentally ask a general question what you could do to be best of service, to help, or even more "selfish" things like how to become more joyful and fulfilled, how to beat an illness, how to solve a certain issue etc. You can also just generally listen to the energy manifesting in your body, mind and emotions and try to discern its meaning.

I found it useful, before asking/praying for myself (which I do not very often anyway), to always start a prayer with praying/thinking about others. This seems to "open the channel" so to speak, and once you are in the flow and can feel the connection, you can pray for more personal things as well - but always in the right spirit.

Intention is crucial: never try to pray for specific things or outcomes, never anticipate, never engage in magical thinking. Don't try to "trick God" - it doesn't work :) Open your heart to others, keep it pure, and do your best to muster the highest, most generous, most selfless intention that you can pull off.

Some saints have said "pray constantly". What does this mean? Walking around continually twiddling a Rosary?

I think it means just being always aware that "God" is present and "with us" and available in every single moment no matter how mundane if only we are aware of it in some corner of the mind that always has that light bulb (or candle) on.
I think this is an interesting question, which I also think others have offered some really meaningful thoughts on.
I believe the injunction to 'pray without ceasing / constantly' comes from St Paul's 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, from which the Hesychast tradition of the Orthodox Church developed the practice of reciting the Jesus Prayer consistently, both during dedicated times of prayer and throughout daily activities - the latter is not so easy!

Second, it is very important not to "talk at God" or "cry in the wilderness", but also to listen
In keeping with the idea of praying without ceasing, this reminded me of something I read by Bishop Kallistos Ware, who said, "When you pray, you yourself must be silent; let the prayer speak". I think this may have a connection with this idea:

“Prayer is not, therefore, petitioning or bargaining, complaining or demanding, asking or begging God for anything; it is not about influencing God or manipulating God to give us what we want. Prayer is based on listening and seeing, seeing Reality rather than getting anything from it.
This strikes me as quite beautiful, and something that I am aiming at whilst holding an intention, as luc said, that is
the highest, most generous, most selfless intention that you can pull off.

As they were mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I will add that I am very much looking forward to receiving my first set of Crystals, and hope that this will open new possibilities and growth in prayer.

an honest admission of weakness... or vulnerability, or humble words to describe myself as honest as possible.
You can also just generally listen to the energy manifesting in your body, mind and emotions and try to discern its meaning.

It is very interesting. Taking into account what you say, yesterday while I was smoking, I stopped to let flow and observe all the involuntary thoughts that emerged and I thought that this is also part of those "aids that we don't see" or ignore/reject. A conversation with yourself between the convergence of both forces that are part of one on either side of the bar. Often a bar fight, drunk with emotions.

Thoughts and visualizations of ego constantly surfacing. And I thought I'd see it as just that, the help coming from within to subject it to honest observation complemented by a heart-to-heart talk.

Our inner projections arise to "mortify" us enough (perspectives/focus), to pay attention to the help that has been asked for and like anyone who comes to tell us something we need but don't want to hear, we ask them to shut up.

The confusion in asking "how to pray?" stems mainly from the fact that we have been taught that if something is not beautifully constituted in a long and distinctly "divine" prayer, then it is not praying.

Definitely, as the Cass say, we are not alone. Every moment we are in that inner convergence between the two forces, holding long talks, that if we improve our inner dialogue, we can better connect our intention and pray better?

A couple years ago I was curious to see if anyone had done a study on prayer in Paul's letters. He makes lots of references to praying, but doesn't give an instruction manual. I didn't find anything at the time, but when searching for other things found this, a paper by Robert Moses. Here's his conclusion:
Comparing Paul's prayer reports with ancient examples, we will show that, unlike what we encounter in ancient letters, prayer for Paul is not a one-sided affair--it is a two-way street whereby one offers petitions and thanks on behalf of others and receives the same from them. Prayers are also best offered in community. In addition, prayer is a practice whereby the church embodies how in Christ God has broken down enduring walls of separation and inequities that are built into the structures of society. Finally, Paul demonstrates in his own life and writings that human weaknesses, limitations in knowledge, and the mystery of God's will characterize human prayer.

"Prayers are also best offered in community. In addition, prayer is a practice whereby the church embodies how in Christ God has broken down enduring walls of separation and inequities that are built into the structures of society"

Almost sounds like Networking to me.. much food for thought there, thank you.

Very interesting thread, with many great replies! I am also one who strongly believes in daily prayer. I know without a doubt, that it makes a big difference in my life. It's something that gives me strength, and also the way I demonstrate my commitment to the Divine Cosmic Mind.

I normally begin my prayers with gratitude. I give thanks for all kinds of things, there are always things to be grateful for even in the darkest of times. This can actually take quite a while, when I really think about how many blessings I have received . After that I pray for the wellbeing of others, although as has been said, it is fine line to not interfere with others free will and lessons. I do my best to keep that in mind while still wishing for the best for them. Finally, I pray for myself, usually this would be asking for help to deal with my various shortcomings, to be more patient, calm, brave, stoic, etc. I can always use a great deal of assistance when it comes to being a better person, that's for sure. Sometimes there are specific things or situations I ask for help with as well, or just generally for signs of hope and joy in my life. I do think that prayer is very personal and unique to each person, but for me the bottom line is just being sincere and having faith, and the words and thoughts will come.

Hi, I've searched on the forum and found some interesting comments, but I might not be very good with the search engine. I wondered if there was any guidance or info on how to properly pray. Tough times for many at the mo and I thought it might be helpful, or at least give some comfort. I've prayed a few times... when in need, as you do... but who do you pray to? How are you meant to do it? Do you pray to ancestors? Passed family members? The C's? Jesus? Julius? God? Your possible future self?

If anyone has any better forum links they can send my way or if this has been discussed before I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
To answer "the how" ,i've just received the crystals set where there are prayers and a song.

I understand that the vibration of singing may help to align with the Cosmic Mind frequence.

In french the word psalm have the same root that "psalmodier" wich is the verb; wich is a mix between talking and singing.. And we have the expression " re-enchanter the world" , chanter is singing in french.

In the link following, Arvo Pärt shows how he worked to create music with the word; and how he considere that it can continue ever.

I practice-recite with the prayer of the soul giving in the éiriu eolas.

In my experience, to recite the prayers make my thought quiet, help me to be confident and to remember myself.

Ma ananda Moyi : the prayer the best is the prayer who ask God.

Depending on my emotionnal state, the way i prefer is not to ask but to thank God that i am and that life is. And i don't use more words but listenning or feeling the awarenness.

For the "when", i pray upon awakening and before bedtime, several times throughout the day, followed by meditation, the longer before sleep.

In hope it's useful for you.

A few excerpts from the danish philosopher Kierkegaard on praying that I've found thought provoking:

The earthly minded person thinks and imagines that when
he prays, the important thing, the thing he must concentrate
upon, is that God should hear what he is praying for. And yet in
the true, eternal sense it is just the reverse: the true relation in
prayer is not when God hears what is prayed for, but when the
person praying continues to pray until he is the one who hears,
who hears what God is asking for.
Prayer does not change God, it changes the one who offers it.
In proportion as one becomes more and more earnest in
prayer, one has less and less to say, and in the end one becomes
quite silent. Indeed, one becomes quite a hearer. And so it is; to
pray is not to hear oneself speak, but it is to be silent, and to re-
main silent, to wait, until the one who prays hears God.
You talk about wanting to find comfort in Christ. All right, then
try this: at the very moment you yourself are suffering most of all,
simply think about comforting others, for this is what he did.
The task is not to seek consolation – but to be consolation.

Thank you for bringing this subject up.

I will try to explain how do I pray. Here is the way I pray:
I try not to ask something specific that much, because I dont know the whole picture of the World. E.g., like by receiving something from Universe, it may mean, sometimes, that it is had to be taken from another. IMO.
I was asking much more about what i want, some years before.
Right now I'm trying to ask for help, like guidence. Yeah, I do ask for some stuff that bothers me, but my intend here is not to concentrate on that too Much. The knowledge is all you need, I start understanding it more and more.
Like you won't be abble to play chess without knowing the rules of the game. Or football, or whatever...
If I'm asking, I do it between or after the prayers, usually. I started to pray in a row, like 4-7+ times, to repeat the Prayer of the Soul. What I can say, that it is totally different for me, than when I was praying "one time" only.
I pray to C's, Ceasar (Jeasus), Budha, to the Universe, usually to the C's and to the Universe. And it is like, not that way direct to whom I pray to, it is more about on whom I try to concentrate on. If I pray to C's, I imagine C's, but not in the way of "picture", it is kind the way of "feeling" them. The Cassiopaea constelation become sort of symbolic for me. I can observe it here, evening time it is right above me in the sky at the location I'm right now.
I can switch on the prayer on the background, usually in headphones, with one ear open in order to hear my voice, to hear mine vibration of a sound, my prayer. There IS something in it if you pronounce the prayer loud. IMO.
( E.g. If I switch on some prayers, I choose this one usually, it is an Ortodox short choir prayer, on repeat )

It is kind of like you have to get in tune with this guys, who are praying, however it is not the same prayer I do pray, but it doesn't matter that much for me.
Sometimes, I do pray louder (usually I'm whispering)....
I try to pray several times per day,
like 2 times minimum. It is always the Prayer of the Soul.
The one thing that I'm trying do, is to "stop my mind", this flow of thoughts, by concentrating on the C's for example, or even Ceasar's life, something like that....
I try not to concentrate on my own problems that much. It is like I have to find the solution, all you need is knowledge how to act, what to do ...

There are some teachings I heard, based on the Vedic culture, that says that morning time is the best time to pray. (At 4-7 o'clock in the morning, before and during the sunrise) It looks that there is something true in that.

Another thing, that when I feel bad, i try to start praying in a row.
Again, I trying not to concentrate on myself and the problems I have. You know it is really hard, but when you are trying, like you want to give to the people, at least that are around you, it works.
It is actually helps me, in both cases, even if
I do concentrate on my problems.

Interesting, that sometimes I feelt kind of fulfiling, sort of some "force" comes to me, usually after several times I've reapeated the Prayer.
I'm trying to give it back, to the Universe, to the C's. It is kind of energy and I want to send it back, because they know better how to use it.
I don't know if it works actually, but it is the way I'm trying to do.

The Prayer of the Soul looks perfect to me, there are already "inserted" all this words that is needed.
Thank you for making this Prayer.

I was born Orthodox, so first prayer that I pray was the "Lords Prayer (Our Father )". I was praying to Jesus ( Ceasar ) most of the time, because I, as a child, was afraid to some extent of The God, the way God was decribed to me in Christianity.
Then, when I got in touch with the Prayer of the Soul, I started praying this prayer all the time. At the first time I used to do it evening time only, before going to sleep, and only "one time at once basis" before. But then I changed this option.
2-3 years ago, I started to pray in the morning, just after I woke up, and on a "repeat" basis.
Actually I think that it is a great thing that it becomes my habbit.

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing up this question, mugatea. I would love some guidance on this too. I do use the readings that came with the crystals along with the two other prayers given. I have some other favorites added to my routine as well. What I am really wanting is advice on how to pray for others or the planet without placing my own agenda in the request that could infringe upon free will. I do want to honor free will to the fullest. When I pray for one's highest good is that an infringement on free will? Can I ask for their protection, comfort or perfect healing if they have not personally asked me for that? Does anyone have wording for a prayer for the benefit of others that they can share?
Recently I've been learning how to pray also.
It may seem surprising because I've around for a while
It's changing my life.
For me it's about rewiring my thinking, gaining insights.
Because I went down a wrong path and stopped learning how to be creative.
So for me it's about thinking, and then understanding the limitations of my ego.
It's a very special thing for me and it's really what was has been missing from my life.
I pray everyday now.
Was it several weeks ago?
I opened up to divine mind and it was so enlightening.
To open up to love, to understand my behavior--it's a start.
I couldn't be more excited to talk about prayer and I'll read the rest of the thread.
You see I was raised by people who laughed at prayer, so it's important for me to talk about even though it really a personal experience.

I don't pray a prayer that often, but I am in a constant mental conversation with my Creator and my ancestors. At some point I felt that direct dialogue connected me immediately. For me, it is important to give thanks for everything - good or bad, as negative things show me that I need to be vigilant here or a new learning session is ahead. Mostly I ask for guidance, conscious and orderly thought processes and for strength to resist the negative influences.
Of course, I also ask for the best possible outcome in the sense of the Creator for the planet and humanity.
I live completely in trust that I will be heard and guided.

Yes, or an honest admission of weakness... or vulnerability, or humble words to describe myself as honest as possible. As if I was talking to a friend I could tell anything to, not demanding answers, but simply asking for guidance, for understanding, for company. Things like that, sometimes simply saying these things out loud, even if one is alone, is good enough to see the answers.

I do something similar, though in some cases I ask for strength, clarity, for their wisdom to be at their disposal, and for their resilience and endurance should certain lessons be longer than they'd wish them to be.

It's interesting because once I seriously sit down to pray for someone I almost always realize, that the initial ideas I come up with are for myself, for what I would want them to have, and so finding the words to wish someone the best without infringing on their free will or including a self serving request.. it's an interesting exercise.

Now, we're also only human, and it's ok to wish someone to avoid pain or difficulty, but I usually complete those thoughts with, if they're to experience those, then I hope they find the knowledge contained within those lessons and come on the other side a better version of themselves.
Yes, that's what I do too.
Especially when emotional and dealing with negative programming.
When engaging in a loving relationship, while going inside oneself and healing with knowledge, protection, and understanding, it's a painful cakewalk:) sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom