Mr. Premise

The Living Force
Homemade Root Beer

Ingredients:

4 quarts water
2 teaspoons licorice root
1 tablespoon sarsaparilla root
1 teaspoon sassafras root
1 teaspoon spikenard root (difficult to find: optional)
2 teaspoons marshmallow root
2 teaspoons oak chips (medium toast, can be bought at brewing or winemaking supply stores)
1 teaspoon wild cherry bark
1/4 teaspoon goldenseal root
1 teaspoon echinaecea root
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
10-15 drops wintergreen oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
3/8 cup maple syrup (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon champagne yeast (can be bought at bought at brewing or winemaking supply stores, baking yeast will impart some off flavors, champagne yeast tastes the best)

Directions:

Bring the water to a boil and turn heat down to simmer. Add licorice sarsaparilla, sassafras, spikenard, marshmallow, oak chips, wild cherry bark, goldenseal, echinaecea, lemon juice or cream of tartar and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add vanilla, sugar and maple syrup and stir until dissolved. Strain into a large bowl and cover with a clean dishtowel and a plate. Let cool a bit and add wintergreen oil. When room temperature sprinkle the champagne yeast on top. Cover with towel and plate again and let sit for 12 to 24 hours our until bubbles start appearing on top. Stir liquid, put into clean brown beer bottles and cap. Bottle caps and a capper (crimper) can be purchased inexpensively at a brewing supply store. Store upright at room temperature for one or two days. This is the tricky part, you want just enough fermentation to take place to carbonate but not so much that it foams all over when you open it. I recommend opening one bottle after 24 hours and, if there aren't enough bubbles, recap and try again 12 hours after that. Once the drink is sufficiently carbonated, refrigerate so that no more fermentation takes place. This root beer will be essentially alcohol-free. It might have trace amounts, about as much as you would get in fresh-squeezed orange juice, so kids can drink it. But the flavors may be too much for children used to commercial soft drinks. If you are making it for grown-ups you can reduce the sugar a bit.

For non-North Americans: Root Beer is a popular soft drink that has been around since colonial days. Most people who did not grow up with it think it tastes like medicine. Many of the ingredients are indeed medicinal, especially in this case the echinaecea, goldenseal and wild cherry bark (good for coughs). Marshmallow root has little flavor but gives it a good smoothness and helps create a good head of foam.

The yeast deposits that form on the bottom of the bottles is very nutritious as well.

If you don't like yeast and don't want to mess with fermentation, you can reduce the amount of water to create a syrup, which can then be mixed with equal part soda water or seltzer, soda-fountain style.

Note on ingredients:

These are measurements for dried chopped roots, not powdered. Most of these ingredients can be purchased in a good herb store (health food stores, too, in some cases) or from on-line herb sellers.

A tiny safety note:

Be careful to do this only in containers that don't shatter (ie. not glass). Homebrewed beer is bad about overpressuring too (and shattering), but root beer (and other homemade sodas) are the worst, because there's no alcohol to brake the yeast fermentation, your only brake is temperature.

I never had a homebrewed batch of beer overpressure on me, but I was always careful not to put too much sugar in the solution when bottling.

I'd also store the bottles in a tub until you get them into the fridge, just in case. And drink them pretty quick too, in case the yeasties decide to like the cold and continue partying...

Good tips.

You are right that the only brake is temperature. But I think you will be fine if you keep testing to see how much pressure there is.

Also, the reason I recommend not bottling until fermentation begins and then stirring before bottling is so that all bottles will have the same degree of fermentation going when bottled and, so that you have a better idea of how long to let it sit at room temperature in the bottles.

Again, I have done this numerous times and have not had any additional fermentation in the refrigerator. But that could vary depending on the temperature in the refrigerator. But champagne yeast, while very vigorous, won't ferment below 40 degrees F. But you are right, John, that you should drink the batch within a week or two. But you will know if the pressure is getting too high if there is foaming when you open the bottle. If one foams too much, you should drink the rest pretty soon.

My usual problem is too few bubbles from being over cautious. Also, it can foam a bit at room temperature, but when it is cold it won't as much.

John Chang said:
A tiny safety note:

Be careful to do this only in containers that don't shatter (ie. not glass). Homebrewed beer is bad about overpressuring too (and shattering), but root beer (and other homemade sodas) are the worst, because there's no alcohol to brake the yeast fermentation, your only brake is temperature.

I never had a homebrewed batch of beer overpressure on me, but I was always careful not to put too much sugar in the solution when bottling.

I'd also store the bottles in a tub until you get them into the fridge, just in case. And drink them pretty quick too, in case the yeasties decide to like the cold and continue partying...

This sounds great - and delicious! Hmmm - if only I lived closer to Don so I could sample a bit.....

=D

Well I won't mail you a sample, because it might explode on the way and get us both in a lot of trouble ;)

But if you are ever in New England...

anart said:
This sounds great - and delicious! Hmmm - if only I lived closer to Don so I could sample a bit.....

=D

DonaldJHunt said:
Well I won't mail you a sample, because it might explode on the way and get us both in a lot of trouble ;)
you'll be fine, as long as you don't attempt to transport it through customs in a baby-milk bottle (notorious for their widespread use in transporting explosives) ;)

Back
Top Bottom