Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Laura said:
Right. Just add in the Ammianus text to the notes, change the source to Ammianus, and additional source to Theophanes in the notes. Double entries for this one: earthquake AND tsunami. It was such a huge event, you might even get more entries for it based on locations of major destruction. That would give it the weight it actually carries for that single year.

Done. It would be nice to have the "Event Type" to include both earthquake and tsunami but right now, it's one type thing only. For now, it's tsunami.

It looks like someone else is adding events from Chronicle of the Fall text (Zadig's doing everything now - though, he's not including the source citations), so I don't want to step on his toes. I'll hold off on Ammianus, Procopius and Zosimus and take Zachariah Rhetor's The Syriac Chronicle and read through it if no one takes that one since he's on top of the list, then I'll go back to Ammianus, Procopius and Zosimus. I'm trying not to get overwhelmed here.

We don't have an updated list of who's doing what now. :huh:

SeekinTruth said:
I wasn't going to mention this, but having resumed reading Roman Antiquities by Doinysius of Halicarnassus, I came across this passage. Again, there's no date. But it seems to be referring to recently as of time of writing when he says "lately destroyed"?

Roman Antiquities - Spelman translation XIV pp. 36-37 (98-99 of PDF) said:
At the distance of eighty stadia from Reate, on the Jurian way near the mountain Coritus, stood Corsula, lately destroyed: There, an island is to be seen, called Issa, surrounded with a lake; which island is said to have been inhabited by the Aborigines, without any artificial fortification, the inhabitants relying, for their security, on the bogs of the lake, instead of walls. Near to Issa, is Maruvium, at the end of the same lake, distant forty stadia from what they call The Seven waters. ...

Also how it was destroyed is not specified. I know it probably doesn't warrant entry into the database, but thought I'd put it here in case some other source mentions this with more details, we'll know that there's some confirmation in Dionysius of Halicarnassus. Does it sound to others like "lately destroyed" sounds like recent as of writing for Dionysius? I know he's 1st century BC, but don't know an exact date for writing Roman Antiquities either. Sorry if I'm just making noise, but this felt like it might be a clue to something with no real details and may be an event found in other sources. FWIW.

PS Strangely I haven't run into a single date yet in Roman Antiquities of DH, and not only in the couple of environmental or other destruction/calamity events - just ANY date in describing the most ancient places and events in Italy and Rome.

Give me the book, chapter, paragraph number and I'll check it in the Loeb edition where dates are generally added by the editors.

Zadius Sky said:
Laura said:
Right. Just add in the Ammianus text to the notes, change the source to Ammianus, and additional source to Theophanes in the notes. Double entries for this one: earthquake AND tsunami. It was such a huge event, you might even get more entries for it based on locations of major destruction. That would give it the weight it actually carries for that single year.

Done. It would be nice to have the "Event Type" to include both earthquake and tsunami but right now, it's one type thing only. For now, it's tsunami.

That's why you ENTER IT TWICE under each heading. That is what gives the WEIGHT.

Zadius Sky said:
It looks like someone else is adding events from Chronicle of the Fall text (Zadig's doing everything now - though, he's not including the source citations),

Do not enter anything without the source citations!!!!

Zadius Sky said:
so I don't want to step on his toes. I'll hold off on Ammianus, Procopius and Zosimus and take Zachariah Rhetor's The Syriac Chronicle and read through it if no one takes that one since he's on top of the list, then I'll go back to Ammianus, Procopius and Zosimus. I'm trying not to get overwhelmed here.

We don't have an updated list of who's doing what now. :huh:

Just take it easy.

Zadig, let us know what you are doing and why. We might have saved doing double work with a bit of networking.

Zadig, let us know what you are doing and why. We might have saved doing double work with a bit of networking.

I'm done for today.

I changed the versions of Theophanes by earliest versions, from 503 to 558 AD.

Zadig said:
I'm done for today.

I counted 31 of your recent entries that doesn't have source citations.

I just updated information in your inclusion of events by Zachariah of Mitylene (which I'm working through).

Zadius Sky said:
Zadig said:
I'm done for today.

I counted 31 of your recent entries that doesn't have source citations.

I just updated information in your inclusion of events by Zachariah of Mitylene (which I'm working through).

I'm going through the Chronology of the Fall as well and entering that which is not already on the database. Well, I'm in the year 447 AD... But maybe I can check what is missing as I go. If someone sees something off with my entries, I would appreciate feedback.

Laura said:
SeekinTruth said:
I wasn't going to mention this, but having resumed reading Roman Antiquities by Doinysius of Halicarnassus, I came across this passage. Again, there's no date. But it seems to be referring to recently as of time of writing when he says "lately destroyed"?

At the distance of eighty stadia from Reate, on the Jurian way near the mountain Coritus, stood Corsula, lately destroyed: There, an island is to be seen, called Issa, surrounded with a lake; which island is said to have been inhabited by the Aborigines, without any artificial fortification, the inhabitants relying, for their security, on the bogs of the lake, instead of walls. Near to Issa, is Maruvium, at the end of the same lake, distant forty stadia from what they call The Seven waters. ...

Also how it was destroyed is not specified. I know it probably doesn't warrant entry into the database, but thought I'd put it here in case some other source mentions this with more details, we'll know that there's some confirmation in Dionysius of Halicarnassus. Does it sound to others like "lately destroyed" sounds like recent as of writing for Dionysius? I know he's 1st century BC, but don't know an exact date for writing Roman Antiquities either. Sorry if I'm just making noise, but this felt like it might be a clue to something with no real details and may be an event found in other sources. FWIW.

PS Strangely I haven't run into a single date yet in Roman Antiquities of DH, and not only in the couple of environmental or other destruction/calamity events - just ANY date in describing the most ancient places and events in Italy and Rome.

Give me the book, chapter, paragraph number and I'll check it in the Loeb edition where dates are generally added by the editors.

OK, it's Roman Antiquities by Dionysius of Halicarnassus (or sometimes Halicarnassensis) Book I Chapter I Paragraph XIV.

Done reading Herodian, will add the last entries this evening. I think I'll start looking into Dio Cassius' Roman History, Books 61-70 which cover the same period as Herodian's History of the Roman Empire, unless there are more urgent books to go through from a different time period?

Sorry to bother you again, Laura. Could you please check to see if there's any dating in the Loeb edition for the following as it again has no date. It's only a few (long) paragraphs after the last one: Book 1 Chapt 1 Parag XXIII:

Roman Antiquities of DH Book 1 Chap 1 Par XXIII- said:
XXIII. The Pelasgi, having made themselves masters of a large and fertil (sic) tract of land, took some towns, built others, and, by a swift and great advance, rose to power, riches, and every other prosperity, which they did not long enjoy: But, when all the world looked upon them to be in the most flourishing condition, they became the object of divine wrath; and some of them were destroyed by calamities, inflicted by the hand of Heaven, others by their Barbarian neighbours: But the greatest part of them were again dispersed through Greece, and the country of the Barbarians; concerning whom, if I attempted to give a particular account, it would require a very long discourse. However, a few of them remained in Italy, through the care of the Aborigines. The first cause of the desolation of their cities seemed to be a drought, which laid waste the land, the fruit falling from the trees before it came to muturity (sic); neither did the corn, which came up, and flowered, stand, as usual, till the ear was ripe; nor was there grass sufficient for the cattle: Some of the waters were not fit to drink, others shrunk, during the summer; and others were, totally, dried up. The like misfortunes attended the offspring both of cattle, and of women. For they were either abortive, or died at their birth; some, by their death, destroying even those that bore them: And, if any escaped the danger of their delivery, they were either lame, or imperfect; or, being hurt by some other accident, were not fit to be reared. The rest of the people, also, particularly those, in the vigor of their age, were afflicted with various distempers, and uncommon deaths.

It comes right after he describes the Siceli (also referred to by a bunch of other names by a bunch of other historians) moving from Italy to Sicily, having been driven off their lands.

SeekinTruth said:

Well, it apparently wasn't considered important enough to date. But, since Dionysius announces that he arrived in Rome around 30 BC, one may assume that the town was destroyed during the civil war.

Roman Antiquities of DH Book 1 Chap 1 Par XXIII- said:
XXIII. The Pelasgi, having made themselves masters of a large and fertil (sic) tract of land, took some towns, built others, and, by a swift and great advance, rose to power, riches, and every other prosperity, which they did not long enjoy: But, when all the world looked upon them to be in the most flourishing condition, they became the object of divine wrath; and some of them were destroyed by calamities, inflicted by the hand of Heaven, others by their Barbarian neighbours: But the greatest part of them were again dispersed through Greece, and the country of the Barbarians; concerning whom, if I attempted to give a particular account, it would require a very long discourse. However, a few of them remained in Italy, through the care of the Aborigines. The first cause of the desolation of their cities seemed to be a drought, which laid waste the land, the fruit falling from the trees before it came to muturity (sic); neither did the corn, which came up, and flowered, stand, as usual, till the ear was ripe; nor was there grass sufficient for the cattle: Some of the waters were not fit to drink, others shrunk, during the summer; and others were, totally, dried up. The like misfortunes attended the offspring both of cattle, and of women. For they were either abortive, or died at their birth; some, by their death, destroying even those that bore them: And, if any escaped the danger of their delivery, they were either lame, or imperfect; or, being hurt by some other accident, were not fit to be reared. The rest of the people, also, particularly those, in the vigor of their age, were afflicted with various distempers, and uncommon deaths.

I would say that this refers to the collapse of the Bronze Age civilization about 1200 BC.

Books 1 and 2, as far as I can see, are way back in legendary history. You may enjoy reading it, but most of it is a load of hooey.

Eboard10 said:
Done reading Herodian, will add the last entries this evening. I think I'll start looking into Dio Cassius' Roman History, Books 61-70 which cover the same period as Herodian's History of the Roman Empire, unless there are more urgent books to go through from a different time period?

Work on Julius Obsequens starting here:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,32532.msg444409.html#msg444409

I've already included the additional text bits from Livy when referenced.

As you will see, nearly all of them are multiple entries. You can include my notes on them as well.

Can we get all of the "Constantinopolis" changed to Constantinople?

Please employ English usage. What good is a database if the same thing has different names and when you call for your data, it doesn't respond?

Also, Antioch and similar names that we have English versions of.

OK, Laura, thanks. I was getting the feeling that nobody really knows what happened for a few centuries after the collapse of the Bronze Age civilizations and the "Greek Dark Ages" and a bunch of different historians told a bunch of different stories with no way of verifying any of it. If I come upon anything with a date and more details of what was going on in DH, I'll enter into the database. Otherwise, I'm going to skip the ones I asked about as it's all just a guessing game and probably a bunch of hooey, as you said. :lol:

SeekinTruth said:
OK, Laura, thanks. I was getting the feeling that nobody really knows what happened for a few centuries after the collapse of the Bronze Age civilizations and the "Greek Dark Ages" and a bunch of different historians told a bunch of different stories with no way of verifying any of it. If I come upon anything with a date and more details of what was going on in DH, I'll enter into the database. Otherwise, I'm going to skip the ones I asked about as it's all just a guessing game and probably a bunch of hooey, as you said. :lol:

Well, I used to think it was useful to read the fairy stories of ancient Rome, but once you figure out that they were retrojected for political purposes, and a LOT was just made up, you even lose the feeling that there might be a seed of truth.

Laura said:
Can we get all of the "Constantinopolis" changed to Constantinople?

Fixed. These has sources that weren't cited. I was wondering if I should go through all of the events and verified/add the sources?

Back
Top Bottom