Heatwave with a global grip

Well, right now, the weather site says it is 34 C/93F but the temp sensors we have in trees front and back say it is 31 C/88 F. The scare prediction is 37 c/98 F "Sizzling sunshine, VERY hot". Well, we'll see. But heck, even that isn't unusual for August!!!

I just hope that everyone has, or gets, a good outdoor thermometer and mounts it in a place where it is well exposed to the air, but not to direct sun, and keep tabs on temps and compare to the predicted/announced temps.

Well, right now, the weather site says it is 34 C/93F but the temp sensors we have in trees front and back say it is 31 C/88 F. The scare prediction is 37 c/98 F "Sizzling sunshine, VERY hot". Well, we'll see. But heck, even that isn't unusual for August!!!

Well, as it happens, I record the high temperature, humidity at the time of the high temp, and also barometric pressure each day.

Average max temperature between 3 June and 3 August:
- 2013: 26.4 C
- 2014: 27.5 C
- 2015: 29.8 C
- 2016: 25.6 C
- 2017: 29.7 C
- 2018: 27.1 C

The all-time recorded high temp I have was 39.7 on 22 June 2017. That was WEIRD...

Number of days above 30 C:

- 2013: 18
- 2014: 13
- 2015: 22
- 2016: 6
- 2017: 29
- 2018: 27

So indeed, so far this summer has not been as hot (on average) as last summer - at least here.

On the other hand, we had a very wet winter, and so far enough rain to prevent the grass from shriveling up like last year. But then, that's actually more along the lines of "normal" compared to last year's scorching.

Maybe it's just a sign of the times: epic hysteria about everything!

Last edited:
Average max temperature between 3 June and 3 August:
- 2013: 26.4 C
- 2014: 27.5 C
- 2015: 29.8 C
- 2016: 25.6 C
- 2017: 29.7 C
- 2018: 27.1 C

Another factor is variability. An average max temperature of 30° could mean everyday had a max temperature of 30° or, for example, that days at max temperature of 20° alternated with days at max temperature of 40°C.

In the case of 2018 and unlike 2017, there was an unusually high frequency of summer storms, that dropped the average temperature.

Another factor that might increase the sentiment of a heatwave is: perceived temperature VS real temperature.

Because of the high frequency of summer storms, humidity was relatively high and thus perceived temperature was higher than during dry spells.

Also the increase in cosmic rays reaching the surface of our planet, increases the burning/stinging sensation and probably makes us perceive the atmospheric temperature higher than it really is.

On this last point there are two causes that act in unison and lead to an increase in incoming cosmic rays. The reduced solar activity weakens the heliosphere. Consequently, more cosmic rays enter the Solar system and reach Earth's vicinity. The reduced magnetism of our planet weakens the magnetosphere that, in turn, allows more cosmic rays to enter our atmosphere.

Well, I think we have hit the high of the day: 34.6 from Scottie's thermometer and 33.9 from mine. That's 94 and 93 F respectively. Meanwhile, the online weather monitoring site says it is 37 C/99 F

Seventy two F* this morning and a bit warmer now at 26 C* direct sun exposure. Accompanied with multi directional wind speeds. At 2 mph. Still feels like an early Indian summer. Very good detox climate.

Translated from French by Microsoft
#Canicule the thermometer did not descend below 30 °c at Vivès and #Perpignan that night. On this last station established in 1925, the old record of high Tmin (27.0 °c in 1933) is sprayed at least 3 °c.

Confusion abounds.

The summer heat wave in Europe has not only caused suffering for the locals but also revealed another type of problem for those fleeing to rivers in an attempt to cool off. As water levels in German waterways plunge, World War II explosives have been revealed.

05.08.2018 - Record-High Heat wave Dries Rivers, Exposes WW11 Mines and Grenades in Germany
Record-High Heatwave Dries Rivers, Exposes WWII Mines and Grenades in Germany

Police in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt have warned locals to be aware of undetonated World War II explosives in rivers, lakes and ponds which have appeared in the wake of the heatwave.

According to the outlet Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, people have been urgently warned to not touch the decaying munitions and quickly report their findings to the police, who will alert the special services that remove or detonate them on site.

According to the report, after record-high temperatures in Germany dried out rivers and ponds, dozens of grenades and mines, as well as other munitions and armor have been discovered on the Elbe River in Saxony-Anhalt and Saxony. At the end of July, authorities detonated two anti-tank mines on the Elbe.

In the south-east mountains of the Alps in France it's neither hot nor dry.
Almost every day now we have rain in the afternoon, cool nights and normally warm late mornings.
Kind weather actually...

Reactions: Ca.
Just yesterday I heard in the radio how that heat and drought here in germany "will get more frequent in the next couple of years because of global warming".

I do wonder though, why in germany for example, which experiences a fairly warm and I would say normal summer right now, there appears to be a "very dramatic crop failure" with up to 70 Percent losses, so that the farmers are forced to beg the state for billions of Euros in comoensation?

Is this an exaggeration or something that is really happening as it is presented right now and pretty unique that seldom happened before? And if so, why?

I mean, if this is a fairly normal summer, both heat and drought wise, why is there all of a sudden a "70 percent crops lost" when pretty much the same conditions were present in past years where that didn't happen?
I don't know where the 'up to 70 percent' come from and it could even be just a worst case for one particular farmer and/or one particular fruit.
The Bauernverband (farmers' association) talks about losses of around 30% for different fruits: Bauernverband korrigiert Ernteerwartung deutlich nach unten

And as always with the 'Heatwaves', the vintners/winemakers are happy!

🌩🌩 The storms are back 🌩 as here yesterday at the 📷 Refugijmblanc in the National Park of D'aiguestortes in Catalonia. The positive point is 👉 the end of the heatwave tomorrow! #pyrenees #grêle #pirineus #parcnaturalaigüestortes #refugijmblanc #grêle #calamarsa

Well, so far, all I've seen is pretty much normal summer - yeah, it gets kinda hot - but nothing like 2003! AND, if the storms and cooler temps come back in the next couple of days, that means we only had about a week of real summer!

I have noticed that the news and weather stations around here take every opportunity to give heat warnings. Even if it is not so hot, just around average temperatures. Lots of warnings, don't leave pets or children in cars, use lots of sunscreen, and stay inside and find some air conditioning. They talk to you like you are retarded, like you don't have your own brain to figure some of those things out. But you can tell they are pushing this 'everything is getting hotter' narrative, ignoring all the colder than normal phenomenon that has been happening more and more lately.

Unrelenting heat in GB for some weeks now. We British are not used to this. I work for a charity organisation which cannot afford aircon so temps in the workplace are sky high. According to the BBC weather website the temps are dipping down to 21-23 for the next week or so but is this the end of the hot weather? I have read some scaremongering reports in the tabloid press that the hot, dry weather will continue until October. You have to live it day to day really as there is absolutely nothing we can do to change it....unless anyone knows of any effective rain dances.

Reactions: Ca.
French capital still carries trauma of 2003 heatwave, when morgues ran out of space
Sun 23 Jun 2019 16.39 BST

Paris pools will host night swimming, large parks will stay open all hours and special “cool rooms” will be set up in town hall buildings as French authorities fear for residents’ health during the anticipated European heatwave.

The French capital still carries the trauma of the 2003 heatwave, which caused many thousands of deaths in France and so many deaths in the Paris area that morgues ran out of space.

Elderly people and those living alone without contact with neighbours are a particular concern as the city increases emergency planning. There will be special phonelines, and “cool rooms” will be available between 2pm and 6pm across the capital.

The Paris mayor, Anne Hidalgo, said on Sunday that as many as eight major swimming pools would stay open after 10pm and swimming would be allowed in the canal basin at La Villette. She also said three temporary outdoor pools would be set up for in highly populated, lower-income areas of the city, which would be free to use.

Paris has relatively little green space and has been working for years on how to “green up” and introduce more plants in order to counter the heat held by stone and concrete. Hidalgo told the Journal du Dimanche that 13 large parks would stay open all night during the anticipated heatwave because the temperature there would be one or two degrees lower than in the rest of the city. She said five more parks would be added if the heatwave continued.

The city’s growing homeless population, which includes high numbers of migrants who sleep rough in groups of tents under bridges or by roads, is also a particular concern. Hidalgo said 5,000 reusable flasks of water would be distributed to people living on the street, and more than 1,000 drinking fountains added across the city. Aid workers would increase their rounds of the city to check on rough sleepers, she said.

The homeless help centre at La Chapelle, an area with large numbers of undocumented migrants and refugees sleeping rough, “would stay open seven days a week, with a capacity for 400 showers a day”, she said. Campaigners have long complained that not enough year-round support is available for the city’s homeless.

Hospital emergency rooms in Paris are braced for an increase of patients just as many have led strike action over insufficient resources.

#Canicule: Thanks to a strong north-easterly wind, the #Normandie and could keep them more #HautsdeFrance temperate temperatures, potentially until Wednesday included. For the rest of the country, an almost new furnace is being prepared... Maps @meteociel

Back
Top Bottom