Hearing own name called with no speaker present?

HowToBe

The Living Force
I had this happen a few times when I was quite young (kindergarten-gradeschool age), and it hasn't happened in many years since. For me, it was always my mom's voice, except for maybe once or twice when it was my dad's, I think. It would happen with or without my mom present. I never had any unusual occurrences associated with this, as I recall.

Just an hour ago my mom heard someone calling her name as she was laying in bed about to drop off. She says she was sort of meditating, creating a fictional story in her mind's eye, something she does that helps her relax before she goes to sleep. She heard a voice that she didn't recognize calmly say her name, as if to get her attention, interrupting her meditation. She looked to her side, where she heard it, but saw nothing unusual. She says this is the first time in years she's heard her name called like this, and the first time it has ever sounded like it didn't come from "inside her head". She's had occasions when she's heard her mother call her name, then she telephoned her mother who said she had "just been thinking about her". One month she heard my dad call her name three different times, but he works away from home. She called him to ask if anything had happened, and apparently he'd been going through a pretty tough time.

So, has anyone here heard your name called when no one was apparently present, or when those present hadn't said it? Any occurrences that seem to relate? Any information about this phenomena? Is it psychological or psychical, I wonder?

Hi HowTo Be,

Yes, this has happened to me and only in the last 6 months, I was also dozing off to sleep when my name was called very clearly, it startled me and I opened my eyes expecting to see someone there, but there was no one. I felt a bit uneasy for a while afterwards.

I have no idea why this happens, though I'd be interested to find out.

this has happened to me as well, mostly when i was younger, it hasn't happened to me recently, but it's interesting as i was having a conversation regarding this exact subject at work..

anyone has any idea? or have the C's ever mentioned anything regarding this?

Thanks

Yes, I have had this experience as well a few times. I don't have any explanation, though I can think of a few theoretical possibilities. Perhaps it is information of some sort coming through higher centers. I think it would be best to file in the 'phenomena' file and not give it too much importance, but also not be alarmed by it. At least that is how I have chosen to deal with it.

Lindenlea said:
Hi HowTo Be,

Yes, this has happened to me and only in the last 6 months, I was also dozing off to sleep when my name was called very clearly, it startled me and I opened my eyes expecting to see someone there, but there was no one. I felt a bit uneasy for a while afterwards.

I have no idea why this happens, though I'd be interested to find out.

Hi

It happpen to me a year ago it was the same situation I was dozing about 330 am and heard my name very very clear so I opened my eyes and nothing I too felt uneasy and opened my eyes to see if there someone in the room after a while I follow sleep.... :huh: :huh:

What it was I dont know!!! :zzz:

I think the C´s talk about it in one of the begining transcript when Laura was in USA.... but dont remenber which one :-[ :-[.....

I have also experienced this a number of times the past couple years.

Seems to me that Venusian has summed it up well as far as what to make of it, perhaps it is a higher-self, perhaps not. Also, sometimes I hear my name called other times it is something else I hear.

Cheers.

I had this same experience when I was younger. I was living in San Francisco in a flat that used to be an AIDS hospice. I was drifting off to sleep and clearly heard my name called (almost shouted) from directly behind my head which made me sit bolt upright. My bed was pushed up against the wall under a window out to the back deck and I could see that there wasn't anybody out there when I turned around (we were on the 3rd floor). The voice definitely sounded like it was right next to me and not coming from outside. This was also a room where I often experienced the closet door opening on it's own.

I've had that happen a couple of times as well. And another couple of times it was a loud distinct 3 knocks on a door that I heard late at night. Wierd!

I've had that happen to me as well. But not recently.

I was walking down an empty corridor. I had an appointment, but I was completely lost and had no idea which door I had to go to.
Then, suddenly, a slightly androgynous voice with an English accent that I never heard before said my name, then it said "this way! Come quickly!"

I followed the sound of the voice and lo and behold, found the right door.

That was years ago, and I haven't heard a voice call my name since.

In my younger years it happened a few times. Like others, it was in that realm just before sleep. I would be about ready to drop off to sleep when I would hear my name called. It would be so unmistakable that it would startle me awake, but having awakened, I couldn't remember any details about the voice.

I think maybe it only happened once while actually awake during the day. I seem to recall it was most likely in my 20's and during a time when I was really spacing out (disassociated) while doing something in the kitchen like washing dishes or something similar.

Well this is surprising, because for a long time i thought it was a local folklore from where i used to live in. When we were kids, we used to hear a voice calling our names from behind (we shared experiences with other kids). We were told by adults not to turn back, in order not to obey that voice (the same way we were told not to answer the phone by "yes?"). It happened to me a lot in the past, then at a certain moment it was when i was dissociated listening to music (usually with headphones) but sometimes it is when i'm about to fall asleep as some have mentioned. It is subjective but it doesn't seem to be a good thing.

Edit: removed an unrelated part

I had the same thing happen to me about 12months ago. When a woke up I thought it was my son calling me
but then I realized he wasn't home... Another time {about 15 yrs ago} I was staying at a friends house for the
weekend. While dozing off I felt someone kiss me on the cheek. When I woke I looked around expecting to see
someone there, but no one was there. I hadn't thought much about it till coming to this thread...
Cheers......

Happened to me also, but as I can remember it was always during the some kind of dissociating state, as Bud said washing the dishes or some similar job. It was very clearly said and it was voices of the people that I know and which are close to me.

I also have experienced one other thing similar to that. When in that state between being awake and dream, I have catched (or so it looks like "catching") some voices, talks from unknown people, even some visual effects like for example some unknown rooms or spaces. I didn't managed to "hear" something coherent of that, it was more like noise, and here and there some voice would prevail and I would clearly hear part of the sentence.

Happens now and again to me, most of the time I brush it off.
It started in childhood, I remember trying to sleep when I heard a voice calling my name, I think it was a female voice.
I was sacred I thought it was something nasty wanting to hurt me that I ran up to the living room to my parents.
They said it was just the television and I believed them.

Now I don't think that was the case, I find it odd that it was a t.v programme that said my name and I could hear it from
down the hall with the bedroom and living room doors shut, but who knows.
My mother hears my sisters and I calling her when nobody is with her, she thinks it is a mother's intuition.

Thanks for all of the replies! So, it seems that quite a few have had this kind of experience. I wonder what percentage of people experience this at some point?

The common thread appears to be that these disembodied voices usually happen either in the "twilight" while falling asleep, or while awake in a dissociative state. This matches the experiences of my family.

It appears to be a phenomenon occurring through the subconscious mind in some fashion. I suspect that maybe through some kind of opening or alignment of factors, maybe a sort of psychic bleed-through occurs during these dissociative states. Perhaps certain energies are more free to get through, be they conscious in origin or not, and the easiest way for them to manifest is as the sound of having one's name called. The bleed-through energy or information could theoretically be from spirit attachments, family members or other people, entities of various kinds, or maybe just random psychic energies. In the cases where more is heard than just one's name, perhaps a more stable "window" is involved, but still similar in nature. The factors allowing a window to form would probably include the state of the individual, the potentials of various energies, and in some cases the intent or action of a conscious "disembodied" communicator.

In other words, perhaps it's a spontaneous channeling of sorts that occurs every now and then for a variety of reasons. All of this is just speculation though. I agree with the general consensus; since the source and nature of the phenomena are not known, do not give it undue attention; just take the opportunity to practice awareness and discernment.

For what it's worth. ;)

Back
Top Bottom