Has anyone read Rampa?

A

Anita The Novice

Hi, has anyone read "Cave Of The Ancients" by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa?
I thought it was very interesting!

http://www(dot)galactic.no/rampa/ramcave1.html

Anita The Novice said:
Hi, has anyone read "Cave Of The Ancients" by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa?
I thought it was very interesting!

http://www(dot)galactic.no/rampa/ramcave1.html
'Interesting' does not say much about what you thought of it. Care to elaborate?

Edit: I erred by not inserting the word "not" into that previous sentence, so Anita, maybe my question makes more sense now.

AtN,

About 12-14 years ago I read all 18 of the Rampa books. My friend's mom had collected them all back in the 60's and 70's. She had the four Mama San books too, but I never read them for some reason. I read the books in the order they were published, so I was proabably Rampa-ed out by the time I got to the Mama Sans. I can tell you from experience that if you read the first 6-7, you'll have read all of them. Whoever wrote them is, if nothing else, a great story teller in the first few, but the further you read the more redundant they are. The Third Eye and Doctor From Lhasa (the first two books) were fascinating stories, I just don't know if they belong in the fiction, the metaphysical, or a "fictional metaphysical" section of the book stores.

There are lots of people who think they've debunked Rampa, supposedly exposing him for being the plumber he is. I don't know. I think anyone on this forum would agree that the truth doesn't always belong to skeptics who seek to debunk. I've read a couple articles supposedly written by real Tibetan Buddhist Lamas who lived in Lhasa prior to their exile who said that based on Rampa's descriptions of Lhasa it was obvious to them that he had never been there - that among other things everything was far too embellished. Lot's of literature on Tibetan Buddhism and life in Tibet were available before the Rampa books were written (the first edition of The Third Eye was 1956, I believe), and some of them say some of the exact same things as in the Rampa books. This could mean a few things, but still nothing conclusive. Rampa came along in 1956, about the time useful idiots spreading new-age nonsense began to appear, but some of the older books I referred to that concur with Rampa (one I recall was by David-Neel - titled "Mystery in Tibet" or something like that) were written long before the new-age infestation and seemed to me to be reliable.

After giving it a lot of thought back when I read them I was inclined to think that the author might have been a western student of Tibetan Buddhism who wrote the books as fascinating parables to pique some people's interest in the occult and make some bucks at the same time (not necessarily in that order). That's just a notion I came up with based upon the evidence I saw at the time. I don't think there is any hard evidence available that an old worn out Tibetan Lama really did switch physical bodies with a suicidal middle-aged plumber, so a notion of what may have taken place is the best I can muster up regarding Rampa.

I'd say that if you want to read Rampa to read with discretion and enjoy the stories. There were some things in the books that left me feeling incredulous, but most of the stuff seemed plausible. Lots of the plausible things seemed like they may have been exaggerated due to artistic license to make the books more interesting. Face it, nobody will but the books if they're boring.

K

Don't know exactly how to reply to each individual message yet.
To Mark: Maybe fascinating would be a better word for it. I keep wondering exactly what were the machines in the cave used for, what would an average STO candidate do if they stumbled upon something like that.
You have to admit that is more fun to think about than Social Security.
To me it represents endless possibilities, instead of having everything chosen for me!

Think I'm a little backwards.

To Kashmir: If I said absolutely that everything written by T. Lobsang Rampa is true, or on the other hand that it all is a lie, I would be wrong on both accounts, having no proof either way. The only exposure that I've had to anything that was written by him is at
http:(2slsh)galactic.to/rampa/#english

Of course after reading your post it seems like probably the highlights of his books is what they have on that website.
If the man who wrote the books was only a plumber and possibly a student, dang, I'm still very impressed with his imagination!

Anita The Novice said:
To Mark: Maybe fascinating would be a better word for it. I keep wondering exactly what were the machines in the cave used for, what would an average STO candidate do if they stumbled upon something like that.
To me it represents endless possibilities, instead of having everything chosen for me!
Anita-the-novice: You are writing about machines and caves. What machines? What caves? Give us the data first, then tell us what you think of these data. You say: "machines". Where is source of information about these machines? Is this source reliable? Has it been verified? By whom? Etc. etc. Then we will have some idea. If you just say: "I read "Przygody Kubusia Puchatka" - it is a GREAT book - that is not enough here, on our forum. Do not expect anybody here to be excited by the fact that something excited YOU :)

Anita The Novice said:
Click quote button below a particular message or reply. Then everything from that message is wrapped in the quote and /quote tags.

Anita The Novice said:
Seems as though I left out an important word in my original reply to you that completely changes the meaning. See my edit above.

I read about half a dozen of the Rampa books in the late 80s. I agree they're fascinating stories. I stopped seeking them out when I came across some debunkery of them. Once you get the debunker's perspective, the sheer fantastical quality of the books starts to become clearer. I regard them more like novels now. I remember how each one led into the next, resolving the previous book's cliffhanger and moving on. It did open my mind to possibilities, but all that stuff about things hidden in Tibet, and changing bodies (become sort of a human walk-in to another person's vechicle) struck me, somehow, as out of sorts with STO principles I've come to respect.

As Kashmir wrote, read with discretion. I don't know what I'd think if I re-read them today!

18 books? I've read only one, "The Third Eye", or something like that, at least 15 years ago. It seems that this fabulous Mr. Rampa did nothing more but writing books, and books, and books... ;-) Some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobsang_Rampa

The manuscript of The Third Eye had been turned down by several leading British publishers before being accepted by Secker and Warburg for an advance of £800. Prior to the book's publication Fredric Warburg met "Doctor Carl Kuon Suo" who was apparently linked to the author of the work, and was intrigued by his personality. Warburg sent the manuscript of the unpublished book to a number of scholars, several of whom expressed doubts about its authenticity. Nevertheless, the book was published in November 1956 and soon became a bestseller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredric_Warburg

Controversy

In 1952 Warburg became a member of the committee of the Society for Cultural Freedom (S.C.F.), an organisation established to 'promote Western culture and defend it against the communist culture of the East'[3].The S.C.F. were to produce a cultural magazine known as Encounter, which was later to receive sustained criticism when it emerged that much of the money used to produce the magazine came directly from the CIA. More controversy was to follow in 1954 when Warburg was prosecuted for publishing the supposedly obscene book The Philanderer by Stanley Kauffmann. Although offered the chance to plead guilty and escape with a minimal fine, Warburg opted for the much riskier option of a public trial by jury at the Old Bailey. This decision was vindicated when he was unanimously acquitted by the jury. The presiding judge's summing up was added as an appendix in later editions of The Philanderer and also published separately by Secker and Warburg.

Q: (L) What about the case of the individual known as
Lobsang Rampa? Was Lobsang Rampa a walk-in?
A: No.
Q: (L) What was the source of the material Lobsang wrote
about in his books?
A: An active imagination.
Q: (L) So, Lobsang's books were basically his imagination
and were not channeled in any way?
A: Open.
Q: (L) Is there a possibilty that he channeled some of that
information?
A: Yes.

(950105)

Hi, yes I read most of the T.L.Rampa books and also found them fascinating, did you know that the guy that wrote the books was actually a British Taxi driver, which for me did not detract in any way, the content therein ( I also know an English bus driver who holds a phd in marine biology). Has any one heard of the "Moonshaft"?

Like most of the other posters I read all the Rampa books sometime in the '70s, when it was the chic thing to do, even though I wasn't really interested in that kind of stuff at that time. To my surprise, I also found them fascinating, but what they really did for me was to open my eyes to the possibility of a different way of looking at the world. That was a massive paradigm shift in my thinking at the time, and set me off on the 'esoteric' road. Since then there have been a couple of wrong turnings, more than a few dead ends, but mostly it has been onwards and upwards. When I came across the Cassiopaean site through the SOTT site (before the two were separated and which I discovered 'accidentally' by clicking the link given on another website), I knew my journey was almost at an end. 'The Wave' series was like a physical punch to my solar plexis, because it explained quite a few mysterious and frightening experiences of my own. I reached 'The Wave' through Rampa, if you like, and plumber or not, reading his books really did change my life. And there is no going back.

"The more I learn, the more I realise how much I need to learn."

I agree. I read the Rampa books and really loved them. Even though I now know they were "fantasy," I still think they were great stories and who knows? Maybe the guy did tap into something in his creative efforts and there are bits and pieces of truth there?

I came across this Rampa material a couple of years ago. I read a few of the downloaded books, to the point that the became redundant. His story reminds me a little of reports of women that suddenly remembered being Anastasia. I think there was at least one awoken Alexi out there, too.
Anyway, I found it amusing. I lean to the gullible side of the fence. I found his snarky money-grubbing to be a little abrasive, but I guess we all have to eat.
Amuses me now to think he might belong over in Baked Noodles.

I have attached a story from Nexus magazine about an English person who claimed that he was hosting a high Tibetian lama called Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, after falling from a tree. Several years ago I have read all his books but would not have been able to judge if what he was saying was true or false. It was a fascinating read...

Attachments

• 1302.LobsangRampa1.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom