Grigory Perelman refuses Field Award

T

tschai

Saw this just a short while ago thought it might be of interest to some-it appears Russian mathematician Grogory Perelman has refused an award for his work on Poincare's Conjecture-he supposedly has a solution to this mathematical enigma.

The story was found here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/science.ars/2006/8/22/5071

I had no idea what Poincare's Conjecture was, but it sounded pretty out there-so I went to the website where you can find all kinds of mathematical information (wish I would of had this in high school!)to see what it was all about.

There is a link on the arstechnica site directly to Poincare's Conjecture-and I was right-it's pretty deep (for me anyway-but I'm trying) I couldn't get the link to work when I put it on here (It is called Wolframs' Mathworld) but the other works fine.

To the Moderators-

I did a quick search on Perelman and Poincare's Conjecture and did not get any matches-so if this has already been posted feel free to remove it.

Actually, I don't get why Poincare's conjecture would apply to anything other than symplectic manifolds. The concept of "a hole" is rather abstract since you can have SP(4) manifolds with 'hole-like' behavior without a 'hole' in the 3-D projections. I find that the 'hole' is related to torsion-free manifolds and the 'hole-less' manifolds always have torsion. An example would be dynamics with Kac-Moody algebras (infinite dimensional symplectic manifolds) as one sees with non-linear PDEs.

I don't believe Grogory Perelman is satisfied with his current proof.

Newton

Back
Top Bottom