Google search question

TheSpoon

Jedi
durabone said:
Type October 14 at the google prompt,
and before you hit the return, examine the pop
up of completions, and you will see how large
the penetration of this notion has become
Hi Durabone. Are you sure you're not just seeing Internet Explorer's "Autocomplete" of things that you're previously typed into that field yourself?

If you are sure you're seeing what other people have typed in, do tell me how you've accessed the page because it would be interesting to review. I know the Wikipedia site does show a dropdown of matching articles in a similar way.

Cheers,
The Spoon

Hi Spoon;

Yes, about three weeks ago, google started having a completion dropdown
that shows what others have typed. It has turned out to be extremely useful,
though I know nothing about how or why it suddenly started operating that
way. I also don't know how priority works to sort that listing.

I checked my means of access, and it looks pretty standard. I'm on OSX &
Safari, not that these details likely matter.

Hope it helps ...

db

Durabone, I cannot get Google to autocomplete anything other than what I have already typed myself. Like you, I use OSX and Safari. There is nothing in the preferences which allows for this kind of thing.

3D Resident said:
Durabone, I cannot get Google to autocomplete anything other than what I have already typed myself. Like you, I use OSX and Safari. There is nothing in the preferences which allows for this kind of thing.
You need to be in http://www.google.com (not the default safari start page that also has the google search, it doesn't seem to work there, or in the default firefox start page for that matter).

Click on "Preferences" to the right of the search box. Make sure "Provide query suggestions in the search box." is selected and save. Go back to www.google.com and you should see them, but you have to type something first. In search type a word or a few words and it should give you a list of all the popular searches that people do that begin with that word or phrase, and the number of results those searches had. Hope that helps

If this is still an issue it might be better to move the google-related discussion to a thread of its own.

Thanks SAO, but I did all that earlier. I just checked again, and I still cannot for the life of me see ANY option that allows a drop-down suggestion to appear.

I like the moderation on this site.
Pretty well done.

Anyhow, 3D:

Type "Google Auto Suggest"

at the www.google.com prompt, and you'll
find 2 million hits with tutorials, etc. It
may about your security settings.

Good luck!

db

you can also get a similar 'auto suggest' drop-down list if you use firefox and it's search box (which defaults to google, so 99% of folks will that use I guess)
and I can only assume that these auto suggestions are taken from google itself, because it works with anything you type, and also the results change if you select a different search engine such as yoozilla (you'd need the separate plugin for that though), so, yeah, it's one way to find common word-associations

The only thing I'm seeing in the Google autocomplete beyond the typical stuff that will show up for any date (birthdays, astrology, etc.) is October 14th UFO. Can you be more specific about what you are seeing? Or did you and I am just lame in missing it?

Burma;

These completions are a moving target, but it seems
you have it working on your browser. Last week,
"October 14" got three seemingly related completions:

"ufo"
"alien [something]"
"prediction"

That's the best I can remember.

But like you, when I tried it this morning, I only got the
"ufo" completion. I have no idea how the priority gets
assigned to these. It seems like a very difficult piece
of software animation to create a "fair and balanced"
completion list (Maybe they should consult with FOX :)

db

Back
Top Bottom