Goji Berries - apparently most nutritious

Erna

The Living Force
I came across some info on the web that advocates the fantastic benefits of Goji berries (or Wolf berries as it is also known).

_www.amazon.com/Goji-Himalyan-Health-Earl-Mindell/dp/0967285526/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203027656&sr=1-2

_www.health24.com/dietnfood/General/15-742,40701.asp

_www.sunfood.com

_www.naturallygoji.co.za

_www.goji.co.za

I'm busy watching all the videos on _www.consciousmedianetwork.com, and that's where I first heard about it.

Apparently it's only grown in China and surrounds.

If anyone has tried it, I'd love to hear if the hype has any merit.

I’ve never had any. Its scientific name is Symphoricarpos occidentalis, would you eat it?

More here.

http://www.cassiopedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Goji_berry

And here.

http://www.cassiopedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Symphoricarpos

The words wolf berry or goji are not included in the American Heritage Dictionary, and this species is a common species of America. What up docs? Mutation?

Oh wait, I did find wolf berry. A deciduous shrub of western North America, having white berries and pinkish bell shaped flowers.

Thanks for the comprehensive info. Yeh, the reported "happy" feeling when taken is reason for concern, let alone some instances of vomiting and diarrhoea.

Erna said:
If anyone has tried it, I'd love to hear if the hype has any merit.
Well, i did try it. As far as i am concern, i did not see any result in taking the goji juice. I gave it a try for three months and i decided to stop it after that.

It is very expensive and does look to me as something to make money.

My 2 cents.

I came across goji berries in dryed form at my local supermarket a few weeks ago and bought some but I had
not tryed them yet untill your post Erna reminded me.Just another of those amaising syncronicities I get here on the sott forum.So I opened the packet and ate some,well,they tasted alright,not too sweet,kinda funny after taste but quite pleasant,IMO,my kids said they prefer the cranberries thou
RRR

You may find this interesting about Dr.Earl Mindell and Goji:

Getting Juiced

breathe.org

I have a friend who selling this Goji products and I have to admit we bought it for a while.
This information was shocking but very educational. A year ago my friend gave us a little bottle and it was different then before, we learned the "new Go-chi Juice" is made with aspartame! I tried to ask her about it and she just went to defense mode and protect the "Sacred Cow". These"friends" devoted their life to sell this snake oil and they make decent money with it so of course they're in denial. But I learned something and I payed for this lesson... :rolleyes:

I also drank it for a while around the time I made this post, and it is expensive. I also tried the dried berries. Silly... :rolleyes:

Back on local freshly squeezed cranberry juice and fresh organic blue berries :) - when I'm a good girl...

Personally I love goji berries. When I first discovered them about 2 years ago I would eat them all day long and I did experience a happy feeling which was not like a high from say caffeine. It was like I craved something in them and I could keep eating them. Now I eat them every once in awhile and I still get some benefits from them. I would recommend this brand of dried berries: Heaven Mountain Goji Berries. I have found these to be far superior to all the other brands I have tried. These are much softer and taste so good, almost like candy. Dragonherbs has many other high quality herbal products that I like. I have only tried goji juice once or twice and cannot speak for it. Also now my whole foods carries frozen goji berries which I have tried and liked.

The goji berries are supposed to improve mood by stimulating the liver in chinese medicine. When the liver is stagnant in chinese medicine, the emotions are also stagnant, so this berry stimulates the flow of emotions which makes one feel happier (or so I have heard). Also it replenishes the yin jing, which is the essence that is expelled during ejaculation, so it can improve sexual functioning. Many other benefits are spoken of on the page linked above:

Heaven Mountain Goji Berries

The ultimate tonic “super fruit”

Goji Berries - The Ultimate Tonic "Super Fruit"

Millions of people throughout Asia consume Goji berries (Lycium chinensis) every day for both their unique, satisfying flavor, and for their health benefits. In China’s first herbal encyclopedia, Shen Nong’s Materia Medica, written in the 1st century B.C., Goji was classified as a "superior tonic," a class of herbs that people should take on an on-going basis to preserve youth and to promote general well being of life. Goji’s superior tonic classification has stood the test of time. Two thousand years later, Goji berries are still being consumed regularly throughout Asian civilizations for those purported reasons. We now know that Goji berries are a "high-ORAC" antioxidant-rich superfruit featuring important phytochemicals such as beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, betaine, polysaccharides (LBP), trace minerals and vitamins.

Why are Heaven Mountain Goji Berries™ so special?

Heaven Mountain Goji Berries™ are the only Goji berries that are Snack-Grade Delicious™ and Herb-Grade Serious™. They are plump, juicy, naturally sweet, and absolutely delicious. And they have an extraordinary and balanced phytonutrient profile.

They are grown naturally in the pristine foothills of Heaven Mountain, a remote mountain range in Central Asia – an area that possesses the precise qualities for producing the best Goji on Earth. Every drop of water in the growing fields is derived from the melted snow and glacial runoff from Heaven Mountain. The virgin land is rich in alkaline minerals, and there is virtually no industry for a thousand miles. The extreme daily temperature fluctuation makes the Goji grown there superbly adaptogenic. The extended sunshine and intensive heat produce incredible and sweet flavor. Our Goji plantations have been officially certified by the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture as an "Authentic Source" of Goji, and are thereby categorized as being Di Tao™ (certified authentic source). Millions of people throughout Asia consume Goji berries every day for both their unique, satisfying flavor and for their health benefits. Goji berries are a “high-ORAC” antioxidant-rich superfruit.

Need to Know All About Goji? Here you go!

Goji berries, from the plant Lycium barbarum, have been considered to be a “magical” longevity herb and superfood since the dawn of Asian civilization. To this day Goji is revered in Asia for its youth preserving, health protective, strengthening, and mood-elevating properties. And though it is a fruit, it is considered to be more than a common fruit – it is regarded as one of the elite tonic herbs in the world. It is one of the main herbs used in Chinese amazing herbal system, often used in combination with other major tonic herbs like Ginseng, Reishi mushroom and Schizandra.

But one of the great things about authentic, high grade Goji is that it can be consumed as a dried fruit – as easily as raisons – providing an incredible range of nutrients and health benefits. In China it is called a “delicious herb,” suitable for use in cuisine (raw or cooked) and for straight snacking. Most herbs of the potency of Goji cannot be consumed so easily simply because they are harder to eat. Most herbs are dried roots or bark, and most are not generally considered delicious. Low quality Goji may not be delicious either and may be tough to eat, but high quality “snack grade” is an absolute pleasure to consume any time.

And why is flavor and texture so important? Because “compliance is the first rule of herbalism.” If you don’t take your herbs, they cannot do you any good. Many people buy Goji berries that lack the sweet flavor and are tough to chew, thinking they are getting high quality Goji (taking the marketer’s word for it). They eat it for a little while and then stop, never eating a Goji again. Fortunately, the best Goji in terms of quality and tonic benefits is also the sweetest and tastiest Goji. People who discover this high quality enjoy eating a handful or two a day, and compliance is not only easy, but compelling. The highest quality Goji is absolutely delicious. It is an attractive snack that is arguably the world’s healthiest superfood.

Finally, Americans and Europeans are discovering what has been known for 5,000 years in Asia – eating Goji fruit regularly helps you to feel, look and perform better on every level of life. And Goji is not a placebo or fad herb. It has been used by billions of people over the period of thousands and years. Hundreds of scientific studies are confirming all its traditional uses and more. Goji is an antiaging, health protective, life-giving miracle if every Nature created one!

From the Official Pharmacopoeia of the People’s Republic of China

Pharmaceutical Name: Fructus Lycii

Botanical Name: Lycium barbarum L. (Solanaceae)

Action: To benefit the liver and the kidney, to replenish vital essence and to improve eyesight

Indications: General debility with deficiency of vital essence manifested by aching of the loins and knees, dizziness and tinnitus; diabetes caused by internal heat; anemia; impaired vision.

Dosage: 18 ~ 36 grams per day

What Makes Goji Berries So Special

The Goji berry (also known as Lycium berry, Wolfberry and Gouqizi in Mandarin Chinese) is unquestionably one of the supreme superfoods in the world. Goji may well be the healthiest food you could ever consume. And you only need to consume an ounce or two a day to get all the amazing benefits that people have been experiencing from Goji for thousands of years.

Fructus Lycii, the dried fruit of Lycium barbarum is one of the most commonly prescribed Yin-modulators used in Chinese herbalism. In Asia and wherever Chinese herbalism is practiced, this herb/superfood is used as a tonic, and is widely used specifically for the treatment of general debility with a deficiency of vital essence. It replenishes the Yin component and blood elements, improves eyesight, lumbago, impotence vertigo and other symptoms of Yin deficiency of the Kidney and Liver energy channels. In traditional Chinese medicine, it has been documented extensively as a favorite ingredient in recipes for elderly people.

Various human studies have shown the oral administration of Goji (either as an extract or as dried fruit) to in have improved their immune functions, raised the serum levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and hemoglobin but lowered the level of lipid peroxides as well as reduced senility symptoms.

Goji berries contain an abundance of health-promoting constituents including: Lycium polysaccharides, 18 amino acids, 6 essential fatty acids, vitamins B1, B2, B6, E (not commonly found in fruit), more beta carotene than carrots, as much vitamin C as contained in lemons or oranges, simple sugars and physalein. Goji berries also contain more than twenty trace minerals including calcium, selenium, zinc, phosphorus, organic germanium and iron.

High-grade, fresh Chinese Goji is extremely rich in beta-carotene (some researchers estimate that it has the highest content of beta-carotene among all foods on earth). Beta-carotene can be transformed into vitamin A under the influence of human liver enzymes. Therefore, vitamin A ultimately plays a major influence in Lycium’s (Goji’s) actions. Lycium’s function on the eyes is related to this factor. Lycium’s vitamin B1 and B2 contents are significant and the vitamin C content of freeze-dried Lycium has been measured to be 73 mg / 100 grams. Goji berries appear to help support our health in many ways. They possess powerful immune-supporting phytochemicals. Goji berry and its extracts have been shown to neutralize free radicals and to protect DNA. Evidence indicates that Goji berries are likely to protect our nervous system (including our brain) and our sexual organs from damage due to stress, temperature variations and free radicals.

Convincing evidence supports the traditional notion that consuming Goji berries regularly can help support cardiovascular health, protect the pancreas and liver, enhance immunity, support eye health, improve mood, and increase libido and fertility.

The fruit also contains beta-sitosterol (an anti-inflammatory agent), linoleic acid (a fatty acid), sesquiterpenoids (cyperone, solavetivone), tetraterpenoids (zeaxanthin, physalin), and betaine.

Goji Is Safe to Consume

Goji berries are very safe to consume. Though no food or herb agrees with everybody on Earth, Goji is one of the best tolerated foods, so long as you don’t eat so much in a single sitting that the body cannot digest it. Goji berries are ubiquitous in China where they are consumed by almost every household as a longevity food and for health protection. Billions of people have consumed these incredible berries regularly for thousands of years and the evidence is clear that Goji berries are a quintessential superfood suitable to the whole family.

Super-Antioxidant Activity

The overproduction of free radicals causes significant damage to the body. But it is important to know that free radicals are not fundamentally “bad” in-and-of themselves. They naturally play an important role in our health and survival by helping to generate the inflammatory responses that protect us. Oxidation helps destroy invading bacteria, viruses, and other microbes, as well as helping to destroy and even eliminate certain toxins from the body. Without these oxidants, for example, most cases of the flu would be fatal. Oxidants also play important biochemical roles in many functions that maintain our health and well being.

The issue is one of balance. Oxidative stress results when there is a disruption in the balance between oxidants and antioxidant enzymes. Generally, the imbalance takes the form of excess free radical production, which results in chronic inflammation and destruction of cellular integrity. The daily challenges of modern life, including pollution, poor diet and eating habits, overexposure to the sun’s rays, smoking (or being exposed to second hand smoke), and exposure to radiation all chronically contribute to oxidation.

The oxidative stress that results from modern living is overwhelming. It is not possible to avoid unnatural oxidative stress, much less the natural oxidative stress that natural beings in a Garden of Eden would experience. Even by conventional standards, it is estimated that only one in four Americans are consuming the recommended five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day – the recognized level of intake for maintaining good health. Therefore it is essential that we consciously and consistently include large amounts of antioxidants in our food – and that mean every day. And since it is often impossible to consume enough antioxidants via our diet, the modern lifestyle actually requires that we supplement our diets with rich, concentrated sources of antioxidants.

There is no question that the range of antioxidants provided by nature in our diet and in our water (if it is alkaline, structured water) is designed by nature to protect life. The various antioxidants available from different natural sources have widely differing effects on our health and functions. For that reason, a diet rich in a wide variety of antioxidants is best for our health. Nevertheless, certain antioxidants are more powerful health agents than others. The polyphenols in green tea provide a perfect example, as do the carotenoids and polysaccharides in Goji. Natural antioxidant molecules are MORE than just antioxidants – they boost immune functions and are cytoprotective (protect our cells, cell membranes, mitochondria, and DNA) in ways that scientists are just beginning to understand and the public is just beginning to really appreciate.

It is becoming clear to most health experts, and to many knowledgeable consumers, that antioxidant molecules have widely ranging functions and actions in the body and that the body is served best by consuming a wide range of antioxidants, though focusing on a couple of major ones is a very good idea. All antioxidants are not created equal, in terms of how much benefit they may have in our bodies. The incredible efficiency of the antioxidants in Goji berries, as is being demonstrated in research study after research study, make Goji berries a perfect addition to our daily diet.

How Goji Works as an Antioxidant

Goji is a super-antioxidant food, abundant in different antioxidant phytochemicals. Goji is rich in other carotenoids that scavenge free radicals keeping our liver, blood and cardiovascular system clean and free from inflammatory toxins. Goji has been thoroughly analyzed and has been found to be rich in a variety of antioxidants, including carotenoids (such as beta-carotene and zeaxanthin), riboflavin, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), thiamine (vitamin B1), and nicotinic acid. Total carotenoid concentrations of different Goji berries are within the range of 0.03–0.5%. Zeaxanthin dipalmitate, a potent antioxidant essential for vision and probably for other human functions, is a predominant carotenoid, comprising as much as 56% of the total carotenoids in Lycium barbarum fruit (Goji).

All forms of Goji possess potent antioxidant activity. The raw fruit, either fresh or dried has been demonstrated to be a super antioxidant food. Water and alcohol extracts too are extraordinary antioxidants (proving that cooking does not destroy the antioxidant activity of Goji). Extracts of Goji may be refined to contain higher amounts of a constituent known as LBP (to be discussed in a moment).

This explains why in Asia Goji is consumed as the raw-dried fruit as a snack – but also in all sorts of cooked dishes, in wine and in tinctures, as well as in thousands of herbal formulations.

For those who wish to consume a natural form of vitamin C on a daily basis, nothing could be better than consuming an ounce or two of Goji every day. Goji berry is estimated to be as rich in vitamin C as fresh lemons. Actually, Goji contains a unique precursor of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), known as ascorbic acid 2-beta-G. This stable form of vitamin C is abundant in the dried fruit of Lycium barbarum (Goji). When provided to test animals by oral administration, it increased the blood ascorbic acid and it was also detected in blood from the portal vein. Thus it appears to be easily assimilated by the body.

Our bodies produce extremely powerful antioxidants, one of which is superoxide dismutase (SOD). SOD is one of three primary antioxidants produced in the human body designed by evolution to protect the body against natural free radical damage. SOD is critical in protecting us against harmful oxidative stress. Without it, we cannot live. SOD is a key antioxidant enzyme which protects your brain cells from the ravages of internally-generated toxins and also from those introduced from the outside environment.

Free radicals are responsible for much of the inflammation experienced by humans. A free radical known as the superoxide anion is responsible for much of this inflammation. SOD will normally counteract this damaging free radical. According to a reported article published in China, Lycium barbarum fruit can increase SOD production by as much as an astounding 40%!

Substances that stimulate the body’s production of SOD are fabulous for our health. What could be better than stimulating OUR OWN native antioxidants? This appears to be exactly what happens when we consume Goji berries. Goji has the power to support your body’s own production of superoxide dismutase (SOD) Oral Administration of Goji (Lycium fruit) raises SOD in the blood stream and in various tissues. This unheralded effect of Goji may well be of the utmost importance to our health and one of Goji’s most important attributes. It appears that this stimulatory ability of Goji on SOD production is the result of the actions of unique constituents in Goji called Lycium polysaccharides (LBPs), which we will discuss in more detail in a moment.

Antioxidant science is now central to a majority of disease and health related research taking place in laboratories around the world. No medical science has been left untouched by the fundamental principles of oxidation and protection against its excesses in the body. The science clearly suggests that antioxidants play an important role in preventing many degenerative diseases, and may slow down the aging process. Goji is emerging as one of the elite superstars in the antioxidant arsenal – not a surprise to the Chinese or to tonic herbalists.

Goji Flavonoids Protect Red Blood Cell Membranes and Mitochondria

Goji contains flavonoids that appear to protect red blood cells and the mitochondria (energy producing organelles within cells) from oxidative stress.

In a study conducted at Ningxia Medical College, the protective effects of the total flavonoids from Lycium barbarum (TFL) on lipid peroxidation in mitochondria and red blood cells induced by oxygen radicals were investigated. The mitochondria lipid peroxidation was significantly inhibited by TFL, and the fluidity of mitochondria membrane was also protected effectively. It was observed by scan electron microscope, that the shape of red blood cells in the oxidized system was damaged significantly, while the shape of red blood cells remained normal with the addition of TFL.[ii]

If this protection also takes place in human cells (which one would guess is highly likely), the repercussions are enormous, since our blood cells are essential to carrying oxygen and nutrients to all the cells and tissues of our body. Mitochondria are essential to our life and if they degenerate, so disease is inevitable.

Goji Is a High-ORAC Fruit

There are many methods of measuring the antioxidant power of a substance. Various laboratories and researchers use different methods, but if they are consistent in their technique, the relative antioxidant potential of various substances will be clear. One standard that has become very popular and is now being used regularly in the nutraceutical industry is the ORAC standard.

Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity (ORAC) is now the most recognized standard of measurement used to express the antioxidant potency of a substance. The term ORAC is virtually equated with the word "antioxidant power" at this time.

Unfortunately, there are marketers who are not as concerned with the facts as they are with sales, and they can twist the numbers to promote sales – for a while. Goji is one of the highest ORAC foods on earth. Typically, Goji’s ORAC is around 11,000 – 14,000 ORAC units. There are higher ORAC substances, though not many. But ORAC is not the only factor involved in the oxidative process. The efficiency and other related factors of Goji converge to make it arguably the most protective food on earth. It could certainly be argued that green tea, reishi mushroom, muscadine grape, and other high ORAC foods are equally protective, but all of these are in an elite league that makes them ALL worth consuming daily.

LBPs – The Amazing Super-Constituents in Goji Berries

Indeed, Goji is an extraordinary antioxidant fruit, certainly among the most potent natural, broad-spectrum antioxidant foods on earth. And for that reason alone it would be advisable to consume them regularly. But amazingly, the most important constituents of Gojiare not the classical antioxidants, but a range of constituents known as polysaccharides that are unique to Goji. These polysaccharides, generally referred to as LBPs (Lycium Barbarum Polysaccharides) transform Gojifrom a mere superfruit into an awesome tonic herb. There are at least five LBPs in Goji.

LBPs are technically known as glycoconjugates. (Just to confuse us, scientists are not always consistent in their terminology – so sometimes the LBPs are referred to in scientific literature as LbGps for Lycium Barbarum Glycoconjugates. For the sake of consistency in this article, we will stick to “LBP”). All five of the primary LBPs have been found to have pronounced immuno-activity. In fact, glycoconjugates are required by the human body to function, and play an essential role in immune functions and intercellular communication.

Oral consumption of Lycium fruit (North Chinese Goji berries) by humans in various studies have improved the immune functions of test subjects, and raised the serum levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and hemoglobin (the red pigment in red blood cells).

LBP has been shown to lower the level of lipid peroxides. Lipid peroxides are peroxides produced in the presence of a free radical by the oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids in the cell in the presence of molecular oxygen. The formation of lipid peroxides results in the destruction of the original lipid leading to the loss of integrity of the membranes. They therefore cause a variety of toxic effects in vivo and their formation is considered a pathological process in biological systems. Their formation can be inhibited by antioxidants,

Protecting Our Cells

A research study published in the International Journal of Molecular Medicine in June 2006 reports that it has been demonstrated that Lycium barbarum (Goji from Northern China) is more than “simply an antioxidant.” It helps protect cell membranes by at least one other mechanism. They showed the Lycium fruit extract high in LBP has distinct cytoprotective effects against oxidative stressors by mechanisms other than being a simple antioxidant.

In another study, conducted by the Department of Biochemistry, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, DNA was severely damaged using the chemical alternariol. Lycium fruit extract was shown to protect DNA from the attack by alternariol. The researchers concluded that “some substance in the Lycium may bind to plasmid DNA, and this binding reduces the electrophoretic mobility of DNA. These results indicate that substances from Lycium fruit may be used as DNA protectors.” [iii]

Potent immune-potentiator

Goji has been demonstrated in study after study to significantly improve immune functions, thus providing additional resistance to a wide range of disease. Phytochemicals known as Lycium Barbarum Polysaccharides (LBP) have very potent immune potentiating and immune regulating benefits. LBP is being studied all over the world because of its immune-boosting power.

Antibacterial effects

Gou Qi Zi extract has relatively strong antibacterial effects on at least 17 kinds of bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus anthracis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Bacillus dysenteriae, and Typhoid bacillus.[iv]

Anti-Aging Qualities

Goji has long been considered an anti-aging superfood in Asia – that quality is believed to be its main attribute and is the reason that millions of people consume Goji every day in China and its neighboring countries. As described above, Goji fruit is a powerful detoxifier and removes free radicals that break our tissues down and promote aging. Yet there are many other qualities that have built Goji’s reputation as an anti-aging superfood.

The results of pharmacological studies have demonstrated the LBPs are the major active constituents of Goji fruit. LBPs enable old animals to restore atrophy of the thymus, increase the percentage of T lymphocytes, and promote proliferation of lymphocytes, phagocytosis of macrophages and antibody content[1]. LBP has been shown to increase DANN-biosynthesis in the thymus and to induce a high degree of lymphocyte transformation in both thymus and spleen cells.[v]

Goji possesses a number of regulatory effects on metabolic processes that impact aging. It is reported to be a biostimulator or growth-promoting drug in demented animals. It promotes hematopoiesis and reduces or regulates the high blood sugar level. Goji protects from liver damage due to carbon tetrachloride.[vi] Experiments on mice indicate that it has anti-aging effects.[vii] LBP also demonstrated an ability to improve sexual disorders in elderl animals.[viii]

Beauty Food

In China, Goji is considered to be a “beauty food.” I have been repeatedly told that “eating one or two handfuls a day (an ounce or two) can help keep your skin silky smooth, and as clear as porcelain.” It is universally believed in the Far East that Goji berries help prevent drying and wrinkling of the skin. Goji is rich in phospholipids, the main lipid component of all cell membranes. In Asia, millions of people consume Goji from the Heaven Mountains daily to retain their youthful appearance, energy and youthful sex life. Women are particularly fond of the influence Goji has on their skin.

Twelve years ago, my wife Yanlin had a meeting (concerning honey and royal jelly) with a business woman in Beijing. I was at the meeting but did not participate because of the language situation (the woman had a strong accent that was way beyond my weak Chinese language skills). But I could not help staring at the woman’s facial skin, which was like no skin I had ever seen before. Although I knew the woman was at least in her fifties, her skin was absolutely flawless – I would say “pure.” There wasn’t one wrinkle, speckle or blemish – it was truly like white jade. At the end of the meeting, I asked my wife to tell her that I could not help but notice her incredible skin and to ask her how she maintained such beautiful skin. She laughed (and I would assume she was pleased with the compliment) and told us that since she was a young woman she had been in the habit of eating a handful of dried Goji berries every day. She said that all the women in the region where she lives are in the same habit and that the region is very famous for the beauty of its women. She said “even the old women have beautiful skin.” I asked if there was anything else that she did, but she said that nothing else she did was out of the ordinary. “No, it’s the Goji. So long as you eat them consistently, you will have beautiful skin.”

As it turned out, she was from the Heaven Mountain region of Xinjiang Province (northwest China). She was the first person to guide us in the direction of Heaven Mountain as a source of superior Goji berries. She explained how the berries in the region are large and plump - and much sweeter than those from other regions. And she explained to me that Heaven Mountain Goji are the kind people can snack on every day, unlike the dry and lackluster tasting Goji that may be available in many markets. She was extremely proud of the fact that certain very high government officials, whom she was visiting in Beijing, would only eat Goji from Heaven Mountain. She went on to tell us that the Goji in her area were grown without the use of chemicals and solely on the run off from a huge glacier and did not even require irrigation.

LBPs were reported, in the January 2005 issue of Phytomedicine, to “display an interesting array of anti-apoptotic and antioxidant properties, which may be beneficial for human skin.” (Anti-apoptotic is defined by the National Cancer Institute as “something that prevents apoptosis - apoptosis is a type of cell death in which a series of molecular steps in a cell leads to its death”). The published report concludes that “We found that one of Lycium barbarum glycoconjugates, the LBP-5, promoted the survival of human fibroblasts cultured in suboptimal conditions…. these results suggest that L. barbarum glycoconjugates in general, and LBP-5 in particular, may have important skin-protective properties.” Zhao H, Alexeev A, Chang E, Greenburg G, Bojanowski K. Phytomedicine. 2005 Jan;12(1-2):131-7.Lycium barbarum glycoconjugates: effect on human skin and cultured dermal fibroblasts.

And here’s Ron Teeguarden’s testimonial – “Yanlin eats Goji every day, and her skin is gorgeous. To my memory she has never had a blemish! And she still doesn’t have a single wrinkle.”

Goji Helps the Body Regulate Sugar

Though Heaven Mountain Goji tastes very sweet, it is in fact very beneficial to those who have sugar related issues. Goji has been proven to have significant hypoglycemic effects in the body and can be eaten by anyone (in moderation, of course).

How is this possible? High quality Goji can be quite sweet. They contain around 25% glucose (and around 25% fructose). One would think that the high glucose levels would cause a negative effect on blood sugar levels and ultimately be harmful to pancreatic functions and related cellular condition. But the opposite is true.

Traditionally, Goji fruit is used as an ingredient in many herbal formulations for the specific purpose of regulating blood sugar, and very commonly as an ingredient in formulas for diabetes. Of course, we cannot claim that Goji is a treatment for, or can prevent diabetes, but a recent review by the Chinese Ministry of Health has revealed that Goji is one of the top ten ingredients used for sugar metabolism problems in Chinese medicine.

The secret to Goji’s ability to regulate sugar metabolism lies with its polysaccharide content. Lycium polysaccharides (LBPs) are being studied around the world because of their ability to modulate sugar imbalances.

In a recent study, the effects of polysaccharide extracted from Chinese Goji (LBP) on blood glucose, oxidative stress and DNA damage in rats with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus were studied. The results show that LBP treatment for 4 weeks led to decreased levels of blood glucose, malondialdehyde (MDA) and nitric oxide (NO) in serum of fasting rats; and to increased serum level of superoxide dismutase (SOD), the all-important indigenous natural antioxidant. Furthermore, LBP could reduce cellular DNA damage in peripheral lymphocytes of the diabetic rats. These results suggest that LBP can control blood glucose and modulate the metabolism of glucose, leading to significant improvement of oxidative stress markers (SOD, MDA) in rats with non-insulin dependent diabetes. And that LBP decreases DNA damage, possibly via a decrease in oxidative stress levels. “In conclusion,” the authors wrote, “LBP as a dietary supplement may prevent the development of complications or even tendency to carcinogenesis in NIDDM rats.

Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects

The hypoglycemic (blood sugar reducing) and hypolipidemic (blood fat reducing) effects of Lycium barbarum fruit water decoction, crude polysaccharide extracts (crude LBP), and purified polysaccharide fractions (LBP-X). It was found that the three Lycium barbarum fruit extracts/fractions could significantly reduce blood glucose levels and serum total cholesterol (TC) and triglyceride (TG) concentrations and at same time markedly increase high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-c) levels after 10 days treatment in tested rabbits, indicating that there were substantial hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects.[ix]

In another study published in 2005, the effect of Lycium barbarum polysaccharide (LBP) on the improvement of insulin resistance and lipid profile was studied in rats, a model for non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). LBP treatment for 3 weeks resulted in a significant decrease in the concentration of plasma triglyceride and weight in NIDDM rats. Furthermore, LBP markedly decreased the plasma cholesterol levels and fasting plasma insulin levels and significantly increased the Insulin Sensitive Index in NIDDM rats. It was concluded that LBP can ameliorate insulin resistance, and the mechanism may be involved in increasing cell-surface level of GLUT4, improving GLUT4 trafficking and intracellular insulin signaling.( Rui ZHAO, Qingwang LI and Bo XIAO ).

These are of course not human studies and no final conclusion concerning the effects of LBP on humans can be made. However, since Goji is used clinically in thousands of hospitals and clinics in China, Japan and Korea to help in the regulation of sugar and insulin, it may lead one to believe that Goji is a healthful food for those concerned about this important health issue.

“Happy Fruit”

Goji is known as “Happy Fruit” in China. It is said that people who eat it regularly become very happy, and find themselves laughing all the time. Research in England has shown that consumption of Goji berries for several months significantly enhanced people’s moods.

Precautions and Contraindications

1. Those with loose stool due to “insufficiency of the spleen” should take Goji berries with caution. That means, don’t OVER-indulge if you have weak digestion and have trouble digesting fruit, especially raw fruit. Cooking Goji or consuming it as tea, or consuming a concentrated extract of Goji generally eliminates any issues relating to digestion.

2. There is a potential herbal-drug interaction between warfarin (Coumadin®) and Goji (Lycium barbarum). Combination of Goji and warfarin should be avoided unless approved and supervised by the physician monitoring the warfarin use. Warfarin activity must be monitored by frequent blood testing. Warfarin is used to prevent thrombosis and embolism. Warfarin is a synthetic derivative of coumarin, a chemical found naturally in many plants. Warfarin was originally developed as a rat poison, though it is no longer used for that purpose. Warfarin belongs to the same class of drugs (coumarins) that decrease blood coagulation by interfering with vitamin K metabolism. For this reason, warfarin and other drugs in this class are also referred to as vitamin K antagonists.

Choose Your Goji Wisely

In the current U.S. market, the Goji berry (Lycium fruit) has become a very hot commodity. Several companies are selling Goji into the mainstream natural products stores. Raw foods advocates are promoting Goji very heavily. Multilevel marketing companies are trumpeting its incredible virtues. Unfortunately, most of these companies are not selling truly high quality Goji.

The Goji berry (Lycium barbarum) is one of the most well known and important tonic herbs used in Chinese herbalism. It is considered to be a profound health enhancing tonic herb. In China, it is considered the ultimate superfood and is included in healthy cuisine at almost every restaurant and in almost every household in China.

Because of Goji’s great fame over many, many centuries, it has been collected and cultivated in almost every region of China. It grows on hillsides and ridges in most areas of China. The best Goji grows in the remote mountainous areas of north-western China (from Mongolia to the western frontiers with Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. Goji may be collected in the summer and autumn when the fruit is mature. The summer crop is much sweeter and has a better constituent profile, and is thus preferred over the autumn crop. The hand-harvested berries are spread thin on bamboo mats and dried in the sunlight. The farmers must be very careful not to touch the fruit with their hands during the drying process because this will cause the fruit to turn dark, which is unacceptable.

Heaven Mountain Goji

There is an awesome mountain range that runs through Central Asia. It is called Heaven Mountain. Heaven Mountain is a truly huge mountain range, second in size only to the Himalayas, and in many regards rivaling the Himalayas. It is in fact more remote from civilization and provides just as large of an ecosystem. However, it is a thousand miles further north and provides some of the most exotic landscapes, flora and fauna on earth.

Heaven Mountain is the authentic source of Goji. A confluence of unique factors makes the Heaven Mountain region perfect for growing the “Herb of Happiness.” The water, the air, the climate, the soil and the seed stock native to the region have the precise qualities necessary for producing the best, richest, tastiest, most potent Goji on earth.

The soil in the foothills and planes running along the northern base of the mountain is highly alkaline. The alkaline salts are clearly visible on the surface of the Goji fields, just as they are in the virgin semi-desert soil.

Almost every drop of water in the Goji-growing fields is derived from the melting snow or glacial melt from Heaven Mountain. This glacial water is absolutely pure, since the area is still completely pristine. Heaven Mountain is covered year around by snow that drains to the desert valleys below in a million streams and underground waterways.

The weather at the northern base of the Heaven Mountains (Goji country) is extreme. It is very hot during the day, but can become very cool at night – sometimes ranging as much as 60 degrees Fahrenheit in a 24-hour period. The temperature fluctuation makes the Goji grown there a superb adaptogenic herb. The heat and extended intense sunshine produces incredible fruit. In fact, the region is called the “land of fruit” in Asia because all the fruit from the region is extraordinary. Heaven Mountain Lycium berries are plump, tender, juicy and sweet. They lack the bitterness and “heat” of berries grown in less favorable conditions. They are sweeter than Goji berries grown elsewhere purely as a result of the perfect growing conditions. After you have eaten Heaven Mountain Goji berries, it is hard to eat Goji from other places.

Heaven Mountain Goji is completely natural, but it is not wild. It would be accurate to call it “wild crafted.” Wild Lycium is never favored in Asia and hasn’t been for centuries. Goji plants live for many years, but they produce fruit that is tonic for only a few of those years. Wild Goji plants therefore cannot be relied upon to yield high quality berries that provide the health benefits associated with this fruit. Young bushes produce weak fruit with poor chemistry. Older trees produce tough, bitter fruit with little nutraceutical value. Unlike ginseng, which becomes better with every passing year that it survives, Goji has a peak, after which the quality of the berries deteriorates.

Goji fruit is best when the plants (bushes) are four to six years old. This is traditional knowledge that has been borne out by chemical analysis and practical experience. When the plants become seven years old or older, the chemical profile of the fruit deteriorates. That is a major reason why wild Goji is not favored in Asian societies and is rarely consumed there. I was recently in Xinjiang and traveled widely among the farms and mountains in Heaven Mountain. I saw hundreds of wild Goji trees, many of which were old and beautiful. But it was clear that they were not being harvested for their berries. The berries that grow on the wild bushes were small, bitter and generally un-uniform, and were often seriously blemished. I inquired about the wild fruit, but my expert hosts made it clear to me that the berries lacked benefit after the bushes become older. They told me that once the bush became large enough to be called a tree, the berries were no longer fit to be consumed. On the “farms,” the bushes are removed after seven years and new plants are grown. They told me that this has been known for at least a thousand years and that Goji had been cultivated or wild crafted with these facts in mind since the dawn of Chinese agriculture.

That is why Dragon Herbs sells Goji fruit only from Heaven Mountain.

Heaven Mountain Goji is Delicious!

Dragon Herbs Heaven Mountain Goji Berries are different from the Goji that is being marketed throughout America right now. It is juicier, sweeter and much more delicious. People are surprised when the first get Heaven Mountain Goji because it is so much better than the Goji they are getting from other sources. The hard, dry, tasteless Goji on the market is NOT the Goji consumed by health cultivationists in Asia. In China, people know what to look for, and Heaven Mountain Goji is the top choice of connoisseurs.

Use Them Any Way You Can Think Of – Be Creative!

Eating or otherwise consuming one or two ounces of Heaven Mountain™ Goji each day can have a profound influence on one’s health and well being. Ron Teeguarden Brand Heaven Mountain Goji™ is “snack grade,” the best of the best – the kind that you can eat straight from the bag and fully enjoy. Just snack as you please. Chew them well. Enjoy their extraordinary flavor.

You can also make tea from them by boiling them for 15 to 30 minutes (longer cooking does not reduce most of the benefits of Goji). Cooking does not seem to lessen the benefits associated with Goji. In fact, Goji is traditionally cooked into tea or blended with other tonic herbs in elixirs. Goji berries may be cooked into soups, breads, meatloaf, cookies or pies. They may be added to oatmeal or other hot cereals or to granola. Of course, they may be added to other snack foods. Also, Goji can be extracted in alcohol and consumed in moderation as a tonic by those who enjoy tinctures or an occasional shot of herbal liquor.

Compliance – Ron’s First Rule of Tonic Herbalism

If you don’t take your herbs, they cannot do you any good. Many people buy Goji berries that lack the sweet flavor and are tough to chew, thinking they are getting high quality Goji (taking the marketer’s word for it). They eat it for a little while and then stop, never eating a Goji again. This is extremely unfortunate because Goji should be easy to consume on a regular basis for an entire lifetime.

Fortunately, the best Goji, in terms of quality and tonic benefits, is also the sweetest and tastiest Goji. People who discover this high quality Goji enjoy eating a handful or two a day, and compliance is not only easy, but compelling. And that is why flavor, sweetness and texture are so important. “Compliance is the first rule of tonic herbalism.” Heaven Mountain™ Goji Berries, the highest quality Goji available in the world, are absolutely delicious. Heaven Mountain™ Goji is an inviting and satisfying snack that is arguably the world’s healthiest superfood.

Traditional Function

Benefits the Liver and the Kidney, replenishes vital essence (Yin Jing), prolongs life, and improves eyesight

Who can use it? A snack for everyone

Specifications: 8 oz .(227 g)

Precautions: Overeating can cause loose stool in some individuals

Ingredients: Heaven Mountain Goji Berries

Usage

Eat approximately 1 ounce a day (about a handful) anytime as a snack on its own, or mixed into other food, e.g. oatmeal.

Remember Ron Teeguarden’s “First Rule of Tonic Herbalism,” summed up in a single word – Compliance. If you don’t take the herbs, they won’t work.”

All-natural Heaven Mountain Goji Berries™, exclusively from Dragon Herbs

Heaven Mountain™ Goji is available from Ron Teeguarden’s* Dragon Herbs. Don’t be fooled by the marketing of inferior varieties of Goji. Even these marketers have admitted in private that Ron Teeguarden Dragon Herbs Brand Heaven Mountain™ Goji Berries are the BEST in the world

*And why trust Ron Teeguarden? Ron has been a purveyor of Goji berries since 1976 (he was dispensing herbs that included Goji fruit as early as 1971). He has been importing them for nearly 20 years and has personally visited the growing sites. Nobody is more interested in quality than Ron Teeguarden. His standards are simply higher.

Primary References

[1] Xiao Peigun. Immunostimulants of Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[1] Huang Y, Lu J, Shen Y, Lu J. [Article in Chinese] Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 1999 Mar 30;28(2):115-6. Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Faculty of Preventive Medicine, Ningxia Medical College, Yinchuan 750004, China. The protective effects of total flavonoids from Lycium Barbarum L. on lipid peroxidation of liver mitochondria and red blood cell in rats

[1] [Xu DS, Kong TQ, Ma JQ. Biomed Environ Sci 1996 Mar;9(1):67-70 Related Articles, Books Department of Biochemistry, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, China. The inhibitory effect of extracts from Fructus lycii and Rhizoma polygonati on in vitro DNA breakage by alternariol.]

[1] (Jin Zhi Cui, et al. Antibacterial effects of Gou Qi Zi extract. Inner Mongolia Journal of Medicine. 1995;15(4): 203.)

[1] Xiao Peigun. Traditional Experience of Traditional and Herbal Drug and Its Utilization in Medicine Research and New Drug Searching. Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[1] Xiao Peigun. Traditional Experience of Traditional and Herbal Drug and Its Utilization in Medicine Research and New Drug Searching. Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[1] Luo Q, Cai Y, Yan J, Sun M, Corke H. Life Sci. 2004 Nov 26;76(2):137-49.
College of Public Health, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, Hubei, PR China.

Additional references

1. Yang Ming, et al. Gou Qi Zi water decoction’s anti-aging effect. China Journal of TCM Theories. 1999;5:72.
2. Li Wei, et al. Gou Qi Zi active component betaine’s anti-aging effects. China Journal of TCM Theories. 1999;5:73.
3. Liu Yan Hong, et al. The effect of Huang Qi and Gou Qi Zi on aged rats’ LPO, SOD, and certain hormones. Journal of Pharmacology and Clinical Application of TCM. 1996;12(2):20-22.
4. Sui Da Yuan, et al. The effects of the crude polysaccharides of Gou Qi Zi, Wu Wei Zi, and Huang Jin on immunity and lipid peroxidation. Journal of Bethune Medical University. 1996;22(6):606-607.
5. Wang De Shan, et al. The dose-effect relation in Gou Qi Zi’s effect of counteracting experimental hyperlipidemia and liver lipid peroxidation. Journal of Applied Integrated Medicine. 1998;11(3):199-200.
6. Du Shou Ying, et al. Gou Qi Zi extract’s effects on the expression of human interleukin-2 receptors (IL-2R). China Journal of Microbiology and Immunity. 1995;15(3):176-178.
7. Liu Na, et al. Gou Qi Zi’s protective effects on light-induced damages to rats’ retina. China Journal of Eyeground Disease. 1995;11(1):31-33.
8. Bian Lun, et al. The morphology of Gou Qi Zi polysaccharides repairing CCl4-induced liver damages in mice. Ninxia Journal of Medicine. 1996;18(4):196-198.
9. Shi Rui Lu, et al. The effects of Ren Shen, Huang Qi, and Gou Qi Zi on senile mice’s cardiac muscle b receptors. Journal of Chinese Materia Medica. 1998;29(6):389-391.
10. Liu Yan Hong, et al. Effects of Huang Qi, and Gou Qi Zi on cardiac muscle b receptor in senile mice. China Journal of Geriatrics. 1996;16(3):165-167.
11. Pu Shuan Jin, et al. The pharmacodynamics of Gou Qi Zi of Hebei origin. Journal of Chinese Materia Medica. 1998;29(7):472-474.
12. Wang Yan Rong, et al. Gou Qi Zi polysaccharides’ effect on in vitro cultivated human chorionic membrane cells. Shaanxi Journal of TCM. 1998;19(10):473-475.
13. Jia YX, Dong JW, Wu XX, Ma TM, Shi AY. The effect of lycium barbarum polysaccharide on vascular tension in two-kidney, one clip model of hypertension. [Article in Chinese] Sheng Li Xue Bao. 1998 Jun;50(3):309-14. Department of Pathophysiology, Beijing Medical University, Beijing 100083.

[1]-7Xiao Peigun. Immunostimulants of Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

Xiao Peigun. Immunostimulants of Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[ii] Huang Y, Lu J, Shen Y, Lu J. [Article in Chinese] Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 1999 Mar 30;28(2):115-6. Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Faculty of Preventive Medicine, Ningxia Medical College, Yinchuan 750004, China. The protective effects of total flavonoids from Lycium Barbarum L. on lipid peroxidation of liver mitochondria and red blood cell in rats

[iii] [Xu DS, Kong TQ, Ma JQ. Biomed Environ Sci 1996 Mar;9(1):67-70 Related Articles, Books Department of Biochemistry, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, China. The inhibitory effect of extracts from Fructus lycii and Rhizoma polygonati on in vitro DNA breakage by alternariol.]

[iv] (Jin Zhi Cui, et al. Antibacterial effects of Gou Qi Zi extract. Inner Mongolia Journal of Medicine. 1995;15(4): 203.)

[v] Xiao Peigun. Traditional Experience of Traditional and Herbal Drug and Its Utilization in Medicine Research and New Drug Searching. Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[vi] Xiao Peigun. Traditional Experience of Traditional and Herbal Drug and Its Utilization in Medicine Research and New Drug Searching. Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[vii] Xiao Peigun. Traditional Experience of Traditional and Herbal Drug and Its Utilization in Medicine Research and New Drug Searching. Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[viii] Xiao Peigun. Traditional Experience of Traditional and Herbal Drug and Its Utilization in Medicine Research and New Drug Searching. Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, 2003,182

[viii] Luo Q, Cai Y, Yan J, Sun M, Corke H. Life Sci. 2004 Nov 26;76(2):137-49.
College of Public Health, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, Hubei, PR China.

Hi Masamune!
Thanks for your reply. :flowers:
Do you prepare the berries before you eat it or just by them dried like raisins and eat them?
I know it sounds dumb... :umm:

Hi anothermagyar,

anothermagyar said:
Do you prepare the berries before you eat it or just by them dried like raisins and eat them?

I have always just eaten them dried like raisins. That is mainly because that is what has been convenient for me. I have made tea with them once though and it was good. From what I understand cooking them first will improve the digestibility of the berries. You can bake them in baked goods or in whatever you like. If you have weak digestion I would recommend cooking them first or not over indulging. :)

Quoted from above:

www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=699 said:
Precautions and Contraindications

1. Those with loose stool due to “insufficiency of the spleen” should take Goji berries with caution. That means, don’t OVER-indulge if you have weak digestion and have trouble digesting fruit, especially raw fruit. Cooking Goji or consuming it as tea, or consuming a concentrated extract of Goji generally eliminates any issues relating to digestion.

I bought about a pound of dried goji berries a few years ago just to try. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference in health. I had already been making a lot of changes to my diet at the time, so it seemed like things were improving, but I can't separate out what improvements were due to what. I think any attempt to bring more whole foods into one's diet is generally positive and it usually isn't one particular food that does it, it's more the elimination of the evil foods that helps the most. I don't doubt that there are positive effects from eating goji berries, but I don't think they would be enough to counter-act eating the wrong foods.

The best way I found to eat them was just cooking them in porridge, that seemed to bring out the flavor a bit more. I probably won't buy anymore due to the price and the fact that there are plenty of other local berries here that are probably just as good (blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, etc). Just my take on these, FWIW.

If you like goji berries, try goji berry green tea. I drink it occasionally and it is very good, and not any more expensive than any other kind of tea.

Thanks, Heimdallr!

I often go to the Chinese Market in my neighborhood for fresh vegetables and fruits. I like also to buy herbs and teas.
They all kinds of herbal soup mixture: liver cleansing or for strengthening the body.
I have one in my hand: American Ginseng And Sea-coconut Soup.
I discovered the Goji berries on the same shelf. I put them in the soup. I learned this from a Chinese lady who I worked for.
But I miss snacks sometimes and I used to eat dried fruits and miss them.
So I thought I can eat Goji berries for snack! :)

Thanks for the idea! :flowers:

Good to see other people's opinion on these "miraculous" berries. Tried them as well (dried) but can't say that I like them. Maybe there's something I'm missing here though.

anothermagyar said:
You may find this interesting about Dr.Earl Mindell and Goji:
breathe.org

The above website was very interesting and rather shocking. Just goes to show that there will always be some dodgy people that want to extract maximum profit from something that's probably only moderately healthy. The berries are very expensive here in Oz, too and I do wonder why that is the case. Maybe it's just a fad.

If something is a mood enhancer and works on the liver, then I become slightly cautious - beer does that too. Admittedly, I haven't looked into the berries - except what the packaging says - and it's an exciting mix of antioxidant claims. I do remember watching a show on tele saying that the berries restore taste for people on chemotherapy. Mind you, if you mention "cancer" and "get better" in the same sentence, most people will be intrigued.

I miss fruit as well but my Candida just loves them too much and comes right up if it gets fed by the sugar.

Last weekend I went to climb Mt. Warning for the second time to relieve nervous tension and to get away from the city. We had a homemade mix of goji berries and seeds in the backpack. When we got to the summit, we sat down, had some tobacco and my friend had a snack of the berry mix. Suddenly, we noticed a bush turkey (brush turkey) - they are everywhere on the mountain.

I wanted to conduct an experiment - does the turkey like the berries? If it does, I will eat them, too (being a bit of a turkey myself).

Birds in Backyards Australia said:
Australian_Brush_turkey.jpg

Feeding

Brush-turkeys feed on insects, seeds and fallen fruits, which are exposed by raking the leaf litter or breaking open rotten logs with their large feet. The majority of food is obtained from the ground, with birds occasionally observed feeding on ripening fruits among tree branches.

_http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/display.cfm?id=69

Well, the turkey ate all the seeds and loved them - couldn't swallow fast enough. Hshe also tried one or two of the berries but then totally ignored them. They did not get eaten... Maybe the good ol' Oz turkey knows the way.

(I reserve the right to change my mind pending further scientific evidence.)

:P

Back
Top Bottom