GNU/Linux

Hello,

That's fantastic that the Cassiopaean community is so in favor of Linux. Meanwhile I am a Linux enthusiast, too. And I have already tested and used many distributions. Several years ago a workmate gave me the advice to use Linux and to have a look on it. At that time I wasn't familiar with it, I knew it only by hearsay. He burnt two DVDs for me with a distribution and a lot of extra software and I began to test it. Then I tested openSUSE, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, BackTrack, ArchLinux, several security and rescue systems and other less notable systems.

What I have noted for a long time is this peculiar STO acting of Open Source. To give without any requirements and charges and nevertheless to profit in doing so. And to network (though rather literally in this case), to contribute by your own will, if I may use this word, to share your insights and those things that has been already said here. Some companies and schools are going to replace Windows with Linux and MS Office with OpenOffice.org. Pupils are more being taught OpenOffice.org these days, that is what I noticed. The problem is, however, and this is my great problem as well, that a lot of software, especially commercial software, run only under Windows and mighty applications are usually Windows applications. So you cannot get rid of it completely, you still need it, but you need Windows because other software (deliberately) depend on it. These commercial producers want to hide their numerous configuration files and other files and libraries in system folders, store information in the Windows registry and they do not want necessarily to be studied and understood by average users and software developers. Windows and its very file structure and organization is simply based on chaos without specific policies, that is among other things one reason for its many security issues. The result is also that each developer can organize his application that way he wants, that means he can store configuration files anywhere. If you want to develop for Linux or even Mac OS X, you have to follow some guidelines. There is a question some people ask, if Linux were so popular and widely used as Windows, would it be consequently equally vulnerable? And the answer is no, it would not, even if viruses and all kinds of malware were targeted on Linux mainly. There are possible security leaks and faults both on Linux and Mac OS X with its derivates such as iPhone OS, but fewer. And they can be found by everyone, because Linux (just Linux, not Apple stuff) is Open Source. That is its strength.

What's the best Linux distribution for a laptop?
It depends upon your laptop, your screen resolution, your hardware (e.g. graphics card, CPU speed and architecture, network card, etc.) and of course your purpose. Since netbooks have been introduced, a trend to use Linux (e.g. Ubuntu Netbook Remix) for them has started. It saves the consumer money as well. But if you have a powerful 17'' laptop, you are able to use each Linux, I think. Most Linux distributions can be tested without installation if you have a Live CD (that's not usual for commercial operating systems like Windows and Mac OS X). Thus incompatibilities can be determined early enough and you can search for another distribution or install just prearranged packages that guarantee that your desired system runs properly after installation.

Blender : 3d / composite program, which to my knowledge of 10 years with 3d studio max, fully fills the allround needs of the game, effect and general 3d designer, and then some.
Yes, because it is OpenGL-based. However, with unsupported / old / otherwise bad graphics cards you cannot work effectively with Blender and other software that use OpenGL rendering. My laptop has an ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M onboard chip which is unfortunately blacklisted by ATI and they no longer provide proprietary drivers for this and related models. This factor slows down my system a little bit, I guess. Sometimes it hangs up without an obvious reason.

Gimp : a standup equivalent, allthough not entirely up to par, to Photoshop, enough for my level of use but probably not for a graphic designer.
There was recently an article about programmers who achieved running Photoshop with the newest version of Wine (v1.1 from the developer repository).

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Gnome Desktop and for testing purposes sometimes gnome-shell with Zeitgeist, I don't like KDE. Though Fedora is a good choice, too. It is very stable. Ubuntu with its new boot script and Grub2 is extremely fast, that's a real advancement and it started actually with 9.04 last year.

I love minimal Linux systems. There is Tiny Core Linux, for example, that needs just about 16 MB space. And even smaller systems need just 8 MB. However, Tiny Core Linux has a graphical environment (there is also TinyLinux, another and similar project). If you are interested, here is an overview of such systems: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Minimal_Linux_distros
These systems might be just toys, but they are funny and perhaps it's easier to build them from source than building a complete and large system from scratch.

Yesterday I downloaded the LFS book and I will read it soon (on a pretty Linux-based ebook reader, of course) and maybe try to build a Linux system this way. Thank you (it was Potamus I believe) for mentioning this project. I knew it vaguely, I sought for books and information about Linux and how to build your own distribution, but LFS seems to suit my needs.

I Started by trying Debian and ubuntu a few years back. Then I discovered Slackware. Never went back!
I still use windows for a few specific apps, I have not found a decent PCB program for linux as of yet, and my ATMEL software needs it.

For any musicians out there, Muse and Rosegarden are great open source music recording and editing programs.

Let the penguins march onwards!

mechanimated said:
I still use windows for a few specific apps, I have not found a decent PCB program for linux as of yet, and my ATMEL software needs it.

Have you checked out Wine for Linux? It allows you to run most windows applications on Linux :)

RedFox said:
mechanimated said:

Have you checked out Wine for Linux? It allows you to run most windows applications on Linux :)

Yes, I have. I have tried to use my PCB program in wine, but printing just does not seem to work in that environment. Also, I was a bit weary of trying Microcontroller interfaces in wine. The way I saw it, I could get it working with a bit of effort, and expecting occasional bugs, but I already have a machine with windows that works fine for this purpose.
After looking at the wine application database, I see it is gold, so I might try sometime soon....

Have you looked at: gEDA? There are people doing
PCB, spice simulations, and so on. And yes, I have
myself used many advanced EDA tools for windows
and they are superb, but spendy. Perhaps you can
join the gEDA team and help them (and yourself) out
and to make EDA tools more available for the masses
and for free?

Keep in mind that you can also do OS virtualizations

FWIW,
Dan

Hey dant! Nice timing. We just stepped into Debian from
Ubuntu due to its support on the ARM platform. This gEDA
ref you made led me to go and check it out (finally). Thanks
for that!

Stallman just recently came in Bologna, Italy, for a speech on Open Source Software and it was really interesting and fun :lol:.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.4 in a dual boot old pc, it's faster than the previous 9.10 version, has a lot of software in its 'repositories' that you can download and install instantly without bothering to search it through websites . Great ;) It is very user friendly, even if you don't know shell commands or just a few, like me. I have installed it a few months ago and I was surprised on how much the gap between MS/proprietary software and free software has been reduced. A common problem with older linux versions was with the installation, but with Ubuntu now it is even easier than Windows, especially if you're new to it and want to try it over your Windows/Vista/Win7 OS.

I also use linux, primarily Ubuntu. I dual booted for a while and switched completely several years ago.

I wonder how many users here on the forums still use Windows XP or some other antiquated OS. Maybe all of us Linux users could offer our knowledge and support to any users who would like to try Ubuntu or some other flavor of linux instead of windows.

What do you think?

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.4 in a dual boot old pc
I am doing absolutely the same right now. I am thinking of buying a new notebook, however. (MacBook Pro which is also well supported by Linux since they make use of Intel CPUs)
Then I will uninstall Windows from the primary section of my disk and use it just in VirtualBox if there is a Windows tool that I want to use. But an old PC doesn't have enough power for doing this. :( Only one OS at a time or a large OS with a minimal Linux or something like that.

it's faster than the previous 9.10 version
Indeed, I can confirm this. And 9.10 is faster than 9.04. But I personally had many troubles with 9.10 (it's said to be stable, but I don't think so, there were others on the net who had similar problems) so I used Fedora as a substitute. Ubuntu 10.04 is much faster than other Linux systems due to its internal boot improvements.

has a lot of software in its 'repositories' that you can download and install instantly without bothering to search it through websites.
Its Software Center is great, yes. I haven't had such nice ways of finding, installing and updating software ever. They are planning to do more in this direction, maybe offering commercial software, too, akin to Apple's AppStore, but less profit-orientated, I guess. The majority of available software will be nonetheless Open Source.

A common problem with older linux versions was with the installation, but with Ubuntu now it is even easier than Windows, especially if you're new to it and want to try it over your Windows/Vista/Win7 OS.
The single problem or difficulty an user might be faced is partitioning and the boot loader, be it comfortable as possible. Sometimes errors occur and an average user which had decided using a second OS doesn't know what to do (see troubles after partitioning due to Vista's new boot loader, for instance). It is very simple, you have to learn more in order to gain more.

Maybe all of us Linux users could offer our knowledge and support to any users who would like to try Ubuntu or some other flavor of linux instead of windows.

What do you think?
If someone has questions he may ask them and some other people here will answer them perhaps. There are very good online references (especially for Ubuntu!) we could refer to. One advantage of Ubuntu is its very good online support with its many communities and wikis where you can read and learn nearly everything you need to get started and to maintain your system afterwards.

I was considering using Fedora, but I did not quite appreciate this:

"Export Regulations

By clicking on and downloading Fedora, you agree to comply with the following terms and conditions:

Fedora software and technical information is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and other U.S. and foreign law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain countries ...
"

Do you know if other Linuxes are subject to same regulations ?

I've ended up with Linux Mint 9, which does not seem to have similar regulations (or I did not find it yet). It's built upon Ubuntu, and they are talking about building it upon Debian in the future (which sounds very promising)
It is quite speedy, appears to be very newbie friendly and Ubuntu compatible.

agni said:
Do you know if other Linuxes are subject to same regulations ?

First, if you are not subject to U.S. jurisdiction, don't worry about it.

Those "certain" other countries are probably the very short list that includes Syria, Iran, and North Korea. And maybe Yemen or Sudan. If my memory serves, the list is really very short. Do you plan to travel to any of those countries? If no, don't worry about it. If yes, then consider leaving your Linux at home and downloading a new copy once you are there.

Actually, if you plan to travel from the U.S. to another country, you should probably clean EVERYTHING from your laptop computer before you cross the border (both ways) and download what you need when you need it. Keep everything encrypted, of course.

I think that most any Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, or OpenBSD operating system has cryptographic software. And it is this crypto software that the U.S. forbids you to send to those countries. So I do not think the legal issue is only with Fedora. But Fedora may be the only one to put it in your face.

To: mechanimated & Potamus

If you want to join the gEDA mailing list, be sure
to subscribe to: geda-user@moria.seul.org

All kinds of stuff is going on therein...

curious_richard said:
[...]
Actually, if you plan to travel from the U.S. to another country, you should probably clean EVERYTHING from your laptop computer before you cross the border (both ways) and download what you need when you need it. Keep everything encrypted, of course.
[...]

I could imagine that if I were travelling abroad, I would simply take a
cheap "bare-bones" laptop with no HD, USB sticks, ie no data devices
whatsoever in the laptop or on my persons, and simply bring along a LiveCD
disc, boot off it, and then use VNC secure remote connections into my
secured home system, if needed. The risk however could be the confisation
of your laptop and/or your LiveCD.

FWIW,
Dan

I think that most any Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, or OpenBSD operating system has cryptographic software. And it is this crypto software that the U.S. forbids you to send to those countries. So I do not think the legal issue is only with Fedora. But Fedora may be the only one to put it in your face.

Crypto is a way to go :D

Personally I use whole partition encryption scheme.
At the moment I am using dm-crypt which is part of kernel and is present in almost any decent Linux distribution.
__http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/

@dante

Watch out with vnc , there are many holes in it.
fast examples :
__http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFqTefxgU2o
__http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6NsQZ_OVis&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom