Giving Blood to lower Iron

Woodsman

The Living Force
There are numerous threads on this board which discuss iron toxicity, and they're all worth exploring.

I read the book, "The Iron Elephant" some time ago and recognized a number of the creeping symptoms of 'age' described by it in myself.

So I started giving blood regularly. -Which isn't very frequently; I have to wait 60 days between blood donor clinics.

Anyway, I just wanted to report on my experiences. -I just today gave blood, and 12 hours later, I have to say... What a difference!

The last time I felt a noticeable decrease in brain fog and an increase in my energy levels. I got used to that. Then today...

The same thing happened. -Perhaps it's psychosomatic. You never know. But I feel pretty great. All skippy and dancey around my living room.

I've given blood now four times, and based on my experiences, I'll continue to do so and I'd recommend it to others.

Woodsman,

My partner is also suffering from hemochromatosis.
I can confirm that each time the bloodletting is close, the symptoms are very present. Only a few hours after the bloodletting, most of the the symptoms disappear, mainly pain in the joints of the wrists. And indeed, fatigue goes and there is an energy boost.

So go on and courage for your treatment

I am not a candidate for blood donation as i had hep c when i was younger and was able to get rid of it. All without ever knowing so i have the antibodies. Apparently only about three percent of people are able to get rid of it so they really only testfor the antibodies. I tried doing it myself a couple times and was amazed at how much better i felt afterwards but it is a difficult process without the right equipment. A friend told me she found out that one can also donate blood for experimentation. I am going to try to find out more aboutit and post my findings here.

I've actually never heard of an experience like you described after donating blood, but it does intrigue me. I've always wanted to try it out, but I'm not really sure if I should, as I heard women who do donate blood on a regular biases are actually at higher risk of developing iron defienticenty. That was also kind of a rumor, I infact haven't done my research, and I pretty sure the fact that I'm on a keto/paleo diet, should make a significant difference on any risk of iron deffiecenty that I could possibly develop.
Thanks for sharing, you've have incouraged me to do my reasearch so I to can hopefully donate blood.

Woodsman said:
There are numerous threads on this board which discuss iron toxicity, and they're all worth exploring.

I read the book, "The Iron Elephant" some time ago and recognized a number of the creeping symptoms of 'age' described by it in myself.

So I started giving blood regularly. -Which isn't very frequently; I have to wait 60 days between blood donor clinics.

Anyway, I just wanted to report on my experiences. -I just today gave blood, and 12 hours later, I have to say... What a difference!

The last time I felt a noticeable decrease in brain fog and an increase in my energy levels. I got used to that. Then today...

The same thing happened. -Perhaps it's psychosomatic. You never know. But I feel pretty great. All skippy and dancey around my living room.

I've given blood now four times, and based on my experiences, I'll continue to do so and I'd recommend it to others.

I've donated a couple of times now and never felt like that. I generally feel a bit lethargic and weak afterwards for 1 or 2 days. I do feel good for donating to a good cause and to ensure that I don't develop hemochromatosis symptoms since I am Keto. That's cool that it gives you an energy boost and decreases brain fog, though, hopefully I may start feeling the same way as I continue to give. :)

davey72 said:
I am not a candidate for blood donation as i had hep c when i was younger and was able to get rid of it. All without ever knowing so i have the antibodies. Apparently only about three percent of people are able to get rid of it so they really only testfor the antibodies. I tried doing it myself a couple times and was amazed at how much better i felt afterwards but it is a difficult process without the right equipment. A friend told me she found out that one can also donate blood for experimentation. I am going to try to find out more aboutit and post my findings here.

Yeah, Davey, I know that there are labs out there that will allow folks to donate blood and get paid for it if they have a rare blood type or certain antibodies or antigens in their blood. I would say hep C antibodies would probably be included with that. The labs are then able to create tests with the donated plasma to test other patients with (or sell it directly); generally they return your red blood cells to you. More than likely, however, those types of labs would be located in major metropolitan areas, but look them up, you may find some nearby.

Added: I wanted to add this great thread on hemochromatosis.

I was finally talked into donating blood last month by my husband. His med facility was doing a blood drive and we both knew (from all the reading here), that we were way overdue to do a blood dump.

He had donated several times before and did it like a pro. It was my first time and I wasn't looking forward to it (needles and all that), but internal considering aside, I knew that someone would benefit from my extra juice and that it was important to rid myself of any surplus of iron.

That being said, Woodsman, I felt similar to you for about an hour after (not 12 like you!). I felt hyper alert, energized, almost giddy. My husband said that that was probably due to my adrenaline surge. Since I donated, I haven't noticed any changes, but perhaps there are and I just can't see them? :) Maybe your aftereffects are psychosomatic? Maybe not. I'd be curious to hear how you're feeling in a week.

Definitely do your research before donating and if/when you go to donate, ask the technician beforehand what your iron count is. They're suppose to prick your finger and test your blood before you're able to give the blood anyway so they know that you're a 'safe' candidate. IE: They aren't' taking from you what you may need. You can then take the number they give you and see where you fall as far as too low or too high. Fwiw

I should add...

I'm in my 40's. Iron toxicity, from what I've read, appears to really start digging its heels into your system around that time. Brain fog was the most annoying and noticeable of the symptoms.

My positive results may well be at least in some part psychosomatic; -I spent a fair bit of time... not necessarily agonizing over the fact that I had this highly oxidative mineral killing me quietly from within, but it was definitely a concern I'd revisit whenever I'd notice my body and brain not functioning up to snuff. That kind of semi-constant thinking has got to have an impact on a person.

But the science certainly appears valid, so giving blood has got to be doing some real good too.

Either way, I'm not going to complain when I feel sharper and peppier than before.

My first blood donation didn't really have any positive results. I just felt light headed and weaker for a day or so. The second was much the same. The last time, (60 days ago) was the first where I felt lasting positive results, and this time had added to that.

Solie123 said:
... I heard women who do donate blood on a regular biases are actually at higher risk of developing iron defienticenty.

Women of childbearing age are somewhat protected from high iron levels by their regular menstruation. Some who are heavily bleeding might even develop iron deficiency. But labs usually check hemoglobin levels before donation and will refuse donation, if it's too low. So checking into a donation facility for them is a good and cheap way of screening.

Post-menopausal women are in the same bracket as men, they usually develop high iron levels over time and will profit from blood donation.

I think it's a good idea to test for your ferritin level first before engaging in regular blood letting to gauge the extent/frequency you need to do it. Note that it is not the same as the hemoglobin level and the latter may be misleading with regards to your iron level.

I've found that high intensity physical exercise also lowers ferritin level (though not as much as blood letting). So that might be another option if your ferritin level is just a little to the high side and physical exercise is a possibility for you.

Why Checking Your Iron Level Is so Crucial for Optimal Health​

Story at a glance:
  • Iron overload is incredibly common and likely as dangerous to your health as vitamin D deficiency, as it creates excessive free radicals that damage your mitochondrial DNA, cell membranes and electron transport proteins
  • Iron overload is easily diagnosed by measuring your serum ferritin. Lab normal levels are correct and should be between 20 and 80 ng/ml; between 40 and 60 ng/ml is the sweet spot
  • Iron overload is easy and inexpensive to treat. Most adult men and non-menstruating women would benefit by donating blood two to three times per year to keep their mitochondria healthy

Attachments

• iron-overload-disorder-pdf.pdf
    139.4 KB · Views: 5

Serum Ferritin and GGT — Two Potent Health Indicators You Need to Know​

Story at a glance:
  • By monitoring your serum ferritin (stored iron) and GGT levels and taking steps to lower them if they’re too high, you can avoid serious health problems
  • Virtually all adult men and postmenopausal women are at risk for iron overload due to inefficient iron excretion. Left untreated, it can contribute to cancer, heart disease, neurodegenerative diseases and other chronic health problems
  • GGT is a liver enzyme involved in glutathione metabolism and the transport of amino acids. GGT can be used as a screening marker for excess free iron and is a potent predictor of mortality

Attachments

• monitoring-serum-ferritin-and-ggt-pdf.pdf
    200.5 KB · Views: 2

The Silent Epidemic of Excess Iron​

Story at a glance:
  • High iron is an under-recognized health threat. There’s a general lack of awareness in the medical community regarding the potential health risks associated with high iron levels
  • A ferritin level above 100 typically means you're either inflamed, have high iron, or both. A level above 200 is considered pathological. The higher your ferritin level, the shorter your lifespan. You’re also more likely to die of a heart attack and cancer
  • Left untreated, high iron levels can cause liver damage and an increased susceptibility to certain diseases, including infections and cancer
  • Lab tests that can help diagnose iron-related conditions such as hemochromatosis include a full iron panel, a complete blood count (CBC) test, gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT), and a comprehensive metabolic panel to ensure you have sufficient liver enzymes. Measuring your copper and ceruloplasmin levels can also be helpful
  • The easiest way to lower your iron is to donate blood on a regular basis. Natural supplements such as curcumin, silymarin and alpha-lipoic acid can also help prevent from continuing to accumulate iron from your food

Attachments

• high-iron-pdf.pdf
    177.1 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for posting this @Uperios

I remember from my last blood test that I had over 300 in S-Ferritin but my doctor said it was not high enough to worry about. I should have listened to my instincts and followed it up more. I see now comparing old blood tests back until 2013 that I have never been under 200—time to take action and start giving blood to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom