German Chocolate Cake with Frosting (Gluten-Free)

RyanX

The Living Force
**Warning** Not for those who suffer from egg allergies.

Cake Recipe:

Ingredients:

* 4.5 oz chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
* 4 eggs
* 1/2 cup xylitol + 1 tbsp. for the egg whites
* 1/3 cup homemade applesauce
* 1/3 cup coconut flour
* 1/2 - 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
* Pinch of salt

Directions:

* Preheat your oven at 350 F. Grease an 8-inch mold. Place a piece of parchment at the bottom, and dust the sides with flour, and tap the excess out.
* Beat the egg yolks with the xylitol until smooth, light-yellow in color.
* Mix in the applesauce; set aside.
* In the meantime, put the chocolate and butter in a bowl, and place the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Cook until melted.
* Combine the chocolate/butter to the egg yolk/sugar mixture.
* In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites firm with a pinch of salt. When they are almost done, add 1 tablespoon sugar and continue to beat for 45 seconds, until firmer.
* Add the flours to the mix and stir well.
* Immediately after flour is stirred in, fold the egg whites into the chocolate preparation in 2 times, making sure not to deflate the batter.
* Pour into the mold, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the blade of a sharp knife inserted in the middle comes out almost entirely dry. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool on a rack. Run a knife around the edges to release the cake, if necessary. Unmold and let cool.

Frosting Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cup xylitol
1 cup water (or coconut milk)
1 tsp. tapioca flour
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut (or as needed)
1 cup pecans, chopped or almonds (or omit if allergic and add extra flaked coconut)
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

In medium saucepan, combine xylitol, water, tapioca flour, butter and eggs. Cook over medium-high heat, until mixture starts to bubble, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining ingredients. Stir until of spreading consistency.

Double both the cake and frosting recipe for a two-layer cake.

Pictures coming soon...

Thanks RyanX, right about now, think I could walk on my knees trough a snowstorm for a piece :love:

Okay, finally I got a chance to upload a picture...

German%20Chocolate%20Cake.jpg

I think we need a drool icon on here. :P

OH Jeez! That looks positively illegal.

Double drool.

For anyone who can't do eggs you can use ground flaxseed with water as a replacement.
_http://www.ehow.com/how_2280938_substitute-flax-seed-eggs-baking.html

RyanX said:

Oh man ....................well done, i need a fork.

I made the cake today and it is delicious. I followed the recipe, did only one cake but, ended up with way to much frosting. I got enough for a double cake but I froze what was left, half, and will use it for the next cake. Thanks again RyanX.

Oh! I forgot to say that I use equal quantity of butter and coconut oil to make the cake and the frosting and the result was great.

RyanX said:

I'm dying right now, that looks delicious!! Thanks for the recipe!

Laurentien said:
Oh! I forgot to say that I use equal quantity of butter and coconut oil to make the cake and the frosting and the result was great.

Good idea! I might try that next time. Or try using Ghee in some places where it calls for butter too. I think I'm still a bit sensitive to butter in some instances, but in moderation it's not so bad.

oh my! delicious looking :P have to try it out this weekend.

thanks ryanx! (yeah wheres the drool icon!)

Back
Top Bottom