Floating Tanks (sensory deprivation)

N

no-mans-land

Hi everyone :)

Sometimes I love it to just stay in the bathtub (if there is one) and let me drift, but recently I remembered a thing named "Floating Tank" and it seemingly provides a much better environment to relax. Now I looked up the definition in wikipedia and some things catch my eyes. Such a tank is not only good for relaxation, but also for some health issues:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank

Most float tanks use epsom salt, Magnesium sulphate (sulfate), in high concentration so that the relative density of the solution is about 1.25. (Lilly recommended 1.3 but this requires operating very close to saturation with the risk of recrystalisation). The density assists floating particularly making the head buoyant so that the nose and mouth are well out of the water for breathing.

It has recently been discovered that there is a secondary effect which is important to floatation therapy. Magnesium is absorbed through the skin thanks to natural molecular diffusion. This tends to correct a common deficiency. Magnesium is absorbed from the diet but in many areas of the world over cropping without adequate replacement of magnesium makes the normal diet low in Magnesium

Since Magnesium absorption through the skin with magnesium sulphate or magnesium chloride is already common knowledge here, I think there is another thing what could be added as a "secondary" health effect: FIR heater elements. ;)

There are tanks in all shapes and forms, with a lot of stuff like color light, underwater sound, massage nozzles, remote control etc, what makes them, of course, awfully expensive. Fortunately there are also floatation tank centers.

_http://www.floatfinder.com

Here is a side with plenty of information about the subject, based on the book "The Book of Floating" by Michael Hutchison

_http://www.amazon.com/Book-Floating-Exploring-Consciousness-Classics/dp/0895561182

_http://www.floatdreams.com

I wonder what effects could be the result in combination with EE and the three stage breathing.

Up to now I didn't had the chance to float around a little bit and give you a first hand experience about that, but maybe someone here have the opportunity to test it. If you want to build your own tank, here are some good advice:

_http://float-tank.centauremt.com

Stay floating ;)

FWIW, I'll pitch in with my two cents... :)

A couple of years ago I spent three months at a yoga retreat where they had a floatation tank (pyramid) that we could use. The Swami at the retreat told many stories of people who had come to the yoga school throughout the 35 years they had been doing courses and how many different ailments had been improved or even cured and frequent uses of the floatation tank had been an integral part of the process.

Since the salination of the water is so high (the one I tried had crystalization on the bottom) the buoyancy is so strong that it almost feels like you are levitating. In addition the water is the same temperature as your body (37 degree centigrade) as is the air. Furthermore, it is pitch black and completely silent to really put you in a setting where it is difficult to sense where your physical sense of self ends (as reported through the senses) and outside of you begins. This will help many people attain very strong meditations. Also, the complete relaxation is said to have health benefits of its own.

I tried the floatation tank somewhere between 15 and 20 times and while it was definitely relaxing and pleasant I never achieved any of the experiences that many of the other course participants described. However, making statistical inference on the basis of a sample of one is bad statistics, so bear in mind that this is just my personal experience :)

Sensory Deprivation Float Tank

Sensory Deprivation Float Tank?

Some of my friends and I have toyed with the notion of building and using an atmosphere controlled sensory deprivation float tank. I was just reading the previous post on DMT and noticed the general thought process of Darkness = Bad.

I cant help but believe we are all capable of illuminating any darkness with our heart/will/mind as long as our spirit is clean or on the path of cleansing. I was interested in it because I have always wanted to face my fears. However I could see many uses for it that are positive. For instance a learning device that allows me to hone 1 sense at a time. Assisted meditation or just general healing from all of the cellphone/electrical line/satellite/negative cosmic) activity that exists all around us. I just wanted to know if anyone else has any personal research on the subject or at least knowledge for or against.

I am perfectly open to moving forward with this idea with my friends without insight, however I have decided to see what other me's/you's/us's think. :huh:

Peace and love and light
The_Seeker

Re: Sensory Deprivation Float Tank

Hi The_Seeker. Have you read the Wave Series in its entirety? Or Secret History of the World? What a person needs to awaken has little to do with sensory deprivation tanks.

Dreaming one has a 'clean spirit' isn't the same as having a clean spirit and most who think they do, are dreaming they do. Have you read through the newage COINTELPRO section of the forum yet? I think it might benefit you.

Yeah, to become awake if I am correct, all you need is your own being, not some exterior stuff. That's kinda loosing your time.

:rolleyes: And if you are talking about a clean soul or whatever to illuminate the darkness, I think that if someone refers to this is to disinform or a metaphore to a natural way one uses its reasoning and knowledge to resolve their problems, or doubts.

Fair enough :) but it did sound fun :-[

And no I haven't even dared to brave that forum yet lol. I am taking them (forum subjects) one or two at at a time, so I can better understand them in there entirety.

I was however more interested in those that may have attempted or tried it. I am not trying to chase anything or short cut anything. Just trying to put my talents to a use, that had a generally positive intent form all parties involved.

And I am only through part 3 of the wave series. I will pick it back up again soon. But this site has been such a large repository of knowledge or links to knowledge that I am reading like 6 different works a once. Which is actually quite enlightening!! It lets you see the patterns, and discard (at least temporarily) what does not quite resonate. There was a post from a guest a while back (wish I could remember) that got me thinking.

What is the purpose of Prime Creator? Just to learn? Are we just tools/aspects of an entity on a learning journey? And if so, what is 'everything/Prime' seeking? Companionship through self sacrifice and then reunification? (and yes I know I know... read the wave lol, but come on I have thoughts that I just cant keep down)

Although I actually do agree that challenges are necessary to develop, even suffering at times. I do not resonate with the whole live to serve and learn, and that's it. Is there not a greater or higher purpose than even that? I have read about Man 1-7 and the portals over the planet, and gnosis in general. I am still very very novice in the knowledge category, but I cannot help but feel like there is a perfect existence, with many entities residing in it.

A Series I would like to offer up to those who are interested is, The Chronicals of Amber (Book 1-5) (6-10 were not as good, not to mention the author died and his students continued his work) Zelazny is the author. I think he is the culprit that placed these beliefs in my head lol.

I see some parallels with his story and esoteric writing in general. Now I am not saying it is esoteric (its not), but its story line and general description fit the pattern quite nicely (except for the monarchy that is plugged into the whole thing) Just food for thought.

Love and light,
The_Seeker

The_Seeker said:
Sensory Deprivation Float Tank?

Hi The_Seeker,

I think such a device could be a dangerous proposition. Mouravieff mentions impressions, or input from the senses, as a sort of food.

[quote author=Mouravieff, Gnosis II, p120]
We know that man can live without food for a month or even longer, he can live without breathing for several minutes, but he cannot live at all without receiving impressions, as the ending of impressions means death. These three kinds of nourishment are the three contributions that the organism 'pumps' from the Universe in which it lives.
[/quote]

Depriving the body of sensory nourishment could potentially cause lasting damage or even death. Then there is also this C's transcript quote:

Q: (L) I received an article from Piers about experiments by
a fellow named Persinger who has been trying to duplicate
the "abduction" experience by subjecting people to EM
fields in a sensory deprivation chamber. I would like
comments on that, and second...
A: Nonsense, some have closed mind inspired by fear.
Q: (L) My concern is that if he is doing this to people, and
we have talked about electromagnetic energy blowing holes
in the dimensional boundaries, my concern is that this
experimentation could be detrimental to the persons being
experimented on; is this a possibility?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) What could be the results of subjecting someone to
these electromagnetic fields?
A: Cessation of body.
Q: (L) In other words, it could kill them?
Q: (L) Could it also open doors between dimensions and allow
other things to enter in?
Q: (L) Could they be subjected to spirit or demonic
possession by this method?
Q: (L) Could they also be subjected to further programming by
aliens through this method?

Thank you for the quote and info. Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here, but it seemed to me the C's were agianst the bombarding of Sensory deprivation subjects by EM waves. We (friends and I) simply wanted to focus on learning by changing my/our focal stimuli to whatever it is we are trying to improve. Just a for instance. In the deprivation tank focus on meditation and inner soul searching, or introduce a audio or visual stimulus such as a Rosseta stone program (language learning).

Here is my biggest issue with reality as it stands.

Everything is a consumer or a victim. Everything. Even our Sun. Why must there be this great/grand cycle of consuming. I was reading some of the wave and read that 5th density beings still eat a "golden broth" communally, and although I remember the context of the question it kind of rattled me. It has been postulated that there are beings that "feed" off of love and "feed" off of fear. But feed none the less. Why is it that we are not seeking total stillness essentially. Total peace and equilibrium? And eventually the whole merging with the creator thing, and losing the STS to STO self/social complex that we have created/become one with, this kinda bothers me inside?! What about the gravitational center we are working so hard to create in this lifetime?

Sorry if these questions seem naive but well, they are. I am grasping for truth and it is always so elusive.

Love and light
THe_Seeker

The_Seeker said:
Thank you for the quote and info. Just playing "Devil's Advocate" here, but it seemed to me the C's were agianst the bombarding of Sensory deprivation subjects by EM waves. We (friends and I) simply wanted to focus on learning by changing my/our focal stimuli to whatever it is we are trying to improve. Just a for instance. In the deprivation tank focus on meditation and inner soul searching, or introduce a audio or visual stimulus such as a Rosseta stone program (language learning).

If your rationalization is to learn, I think that real learning comes from active efforts in reality, not from tuning out the world. Sure it helps learning in an environment free of distraction, but you don't need total sensory deprivation to accomplish that.

I've often heard such rationalizations from people simply trying to justify their need to escape reality. I'm not sure if that's what's going on here, but that's the sense I get from your post. It's no surprise that sensory deprivation chambers are often talked about glowingly by those in the drug culture. The two go hand-in-hand with need to escape from suppressed emotional pain, it seems. Sensory deprivation chambers just seem like a slightly more acceptable way of escaping reality than the more common chemical means.

I guess the thing you might want to ask yourself is: Could there be something deep inside of me that I should be dealing with or some emotional pain or wound that I'm trying to escape from? Even if the answer comes out to be something small or seemingly insignificant, try connecting with it and see if you can access the emotions from that time. If it turns out that this overwhelms you though, you might want to seek professional help.

You might also want to look into reading the Narcissism Big 5 books (if you haven't already).

Ultimately the choice to carry out these experiments is up to you.

The_Seeker said:
Everything is a consumer or a victim. Everything.

[...]

I am grasping for truth and it is always so elusive.

You most likely won't arrive at truth by adopting blanket statements that can't be readily proven. Of course you can speculate and hold some probability in mind, and in that case you might want to stay open to other possibilities as you gather more data.

I think what RyanX wrote is worth your considering, Seeker. It sounds like you are seeking a peak experience or some sort of shortcut. The risk of pursuing experience in this way is that you can do real harm to yourself in the process.

Spiritual growth happens as a result of the work we are willing to do on ourselves, not being passive and having 'experiences'.

The_Seeker said:
What is the purpose of Prime Creator? Just to learn? Are we just tools/aspects of an entity on a learning journey? And if so, what is 'everything/Prime' seeking? Companionship through self sacrifice and then reunification? (and yes I know I know... read the wave lol, but come on I have thoughts that I just cant keep down)

Although I actually do agree that challenges are necessary to develop, even suffering at times. I do not resonate with the whole live to serve and learn, and that's it. Is there not a greater or higher purpose than even that? I have read about Man 1-7 and the portals over the planet, and gnosis in general. I am still very very novice in the knowledge category, but I cannot help but feel like there is a perfect existence, with many entities residing in it.

:wizard: There are lots of purposes, choose yours.

You are in the wave chapter 3 or part 3, when you end all the series maybe you may recognize what is your purpose, or maye not but will help you. Maybe you don't resonate because of the backstage with the chronicals of ambres, and the structure the wave has and the knowledge that proposes as other material, do not resonate in you because of it.

every path is learning no doubt, but some are inherently dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. At some high level of reality, these may be minor bends along the road - but in our reality taking that wrong bend could have serious consequences! A simple approach I follow before I start anything new is - research research and research! Learning from what others have done in the same area will help you 1) decide if this a path you want to follow 2) if yes, then it helps to learn about roadblocks along the way.

re.sensory deprivation tanks, with my limited research in this area i'd never try it because I simply don't know the dangers. perhaps read a few books first?

fwiw :)

I have had around 150 sessions in sensory deprivation tank. Although this practice is more known as FLOATING.

The whole idea was set-up first by John C. Lilly in 1954 for scientific research purposes.
" ... seeking methods of objective fast recording of the activities of the brain, and, simultaneously, objective fast recording of the activities of the mind in that brain."

I remember reading this thread when it first appeared but for some reason I didn't reply. Now I find it in my unread posts list again.

I am not going to talk about my experiences; because somebody will quote ibn Al-Arabi then, about to "beware of this place ..." I am just saying that the use of flotation tank is one of the greatest tools for self-exploration and for maintaining good health. And I am utterly thankful to the reality process that this otherwise quite expensive method is so available for me.

I think I just leave one more quote here, to bring more light into this theme ...

This is from Sven Ake Bood's doctorate thesis on floating. "Bending and Mending the Neurosignature". Available in _http://restingwell.com/Bending_and_mending_the_neurosignature.pdf

„There exists a theory that says that by exercising the primitive, sensori-motor functions and reflexes, one can remedy disturbances of the higher cognitive functions (Niklasson 2001; 2005). A daring speculation might be that occasional but recurrent experiences of weightlessness could open the possibility for contact with the vestibular mechanisms, early, basic patterns of reflexes at the subcortical levels. This notion might then make possible a reorganization of the early patterns of reflexes along with the motor behaviors learned later, and a coupling of the anti-gravitational reflexes with sensori-motor and fine-motor patterns of movement. During the weightlessness the primitive reflexes may be re-experienced and readjusted through changes in posture and sensations thereof. If this were the case, energy might be released, since energy is needed in order to maintain a static posture, whether conscious or not. Energy is released when tension ceases. One gains surplus energy for other activities such as cognitive and mental processes and an increased ability to reorganize thoughts, eg. re-focusing attention.“

[quote author=CorpusCallosum]
I have had around 150 sessions in sensory deprivation tank[/quote]

Full sensory deprivation?

I am just saying that the use of flotation tank is one of the greatest tools for self-exploration and for maintaining good health.[/quote]

For everyone, in any condition and at any time? Health in what context?

Sensory Deprivation tanks have also been used to torture people. Seems when the brain is unnaturally deprived of real-time input from the CNS, or perhaps the CNS is deprived of real-time input from its environment, it has to process input somehow - even if stuff has to be "made up", OSIT. One's fears are ready-made schemas to call up and recycle for this purpose as I understand some of the stuff I've read.

Not to be a complete spoil-sport, the "floating" experience does seem to benefit some people, judging by their descriptions of the experience, but I'd think rational folks would need lots and lots of examples or anecdotal proofs, including yours, and including something objectively verifiable, before they'd jump in. I could be wrong.

This is from Sven Ake Bood's doctorate thesis on floating. "Bending and Mending the Neurosignature". Available in _http://restingwell.com/Bending_and_mending_the_neurosignature.pdf[/quote]

Has the theory and speculation been tested?

Back
Top Bottom